Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2017/18 Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Delighted for Casemiro. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Real showing there class now
    Started very lethargic but that has all changed in the last few mins
    Modric has to be the most enjoyable player to watch

irishman86 wrote: »
    Real showing there class now
    Started very lethargic but that has all changed in the last few mins
    Modric has to be the most enjoyable player to watch

Isco and Kroos say Hello, Hi and wave at you emphatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Delighted for Casemiro. :)

School boy defending though.
    There used to be a time this was a graveyard for Real, easy three points the last few years though.

There used to be a time this was a graveyard for Real, easy three points the last few years though.

Yeah you get the sense that even if Andoni had converted both those chances Real would still have sliced them apart.

Isco and Kroos say Hello, Hi and wave at you emphatically.

From his peak as the best midfielder in the world, i think your description of them waving to him makes perfect sense :D
    I agree there is a gap between them and Modric, maybe not the distance that needs frantic waving though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Isco is by far my favourite Madrid player.

From his peak as the best midfielder in the world, i think your description of them waving to him makes perfect sense :D
    I agree there is a gap between them and Modric, maybe not the distance that needs frantic waving though :pac:

Well fine then I'm going to be direct.:P I enjoy watching Kroos the most.

Kroos,
    Isco
    Then Modric

Well fine then I'm going to be direct.:P I enjoy watching Kroos the most.

Kroos,
    Isco
    Then Modric

I would be the exact opposite, there is no real losers in this conversation though
    Everyones a winner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's come to the stage that if you kick the ball out for a non head injury, you should get a yellow card.

let the ref do his bloody job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ramos lucky not to be sent off

better Real teams than this one could not win here for any money. It got funny towards the end as Deportivo crumbled, they still eked out a win.

Like Sociedad is for Barcelona now.

lol such a nutter

Ramos did his utmost to get sent off that game and the referee almost didn't oblige. :pac:

Ramos did his utmost to get sent off that game and the referee almost didn't oblige. :pac:

He cut it close, but he always comes up with the goods
    Reals Mr Reliable :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The dynasty continues. Only one game done and the records are tumbling like Luis Suarez when he see's a stray leg. Sergio Ramos becomes the joint most red carded player with 18 in La Liga history. His legacy cemented forever in Refereeing folklore. Can he make 20 by the season end? 30 by the end of his career? Can he even get 50 in all competitions?

We will never see his like again. They will chant the name of Ramos El Rojo until the end of time at the Santiago Bernabeu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Social media overflowing with pics of Neymar with former Barca teammates chilling out together only hours after the Barcelona board sues Neymar. Message is loid and clear, the players and the first team management are pulling in an entirely different direction to a board that surely can't survive much longer. The legacy of this, and the Rosell board previously, will live on in infamy.

What the fook do players know about the day to day running of a club? More to the point. Neymar screwed over your club big time. Had he spoken about his intentions (which were clear since early summer) they could have drafted in replacement. Instead he held on until August when it was too late for the club to really take meaningful action and every other club can bleed you guys dry for extortinate fees!

Whether or not your board is incompetent is immaterial to the bigger truth that Neymar utterly shafted you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

What the fook do players know about the day to day running of a club? More to the point. Neymar screwed over your club big time. Had he spoken about his intentions (which were clear since early summer) they could have drafted in replacement. Instead he held on until August when it was too late for the club to really take meaningful action and every other club can bleed you guys dry for extortinate fees!

Whether or not your board is incompetent is immaterial to the bigger truth that Neymar utterly shafted you.

What does this board know about running the club? They inherited maybe the best team ever, with a proven formula and philosophy and they've absolutely ground it down into the dirt. The difference between the board and this set of players is that the players care about the club and have it's interests at heart. The board care about themselves and their own business interests.

I'm not jumping to the support or defence of Neymar at all, to me what he did was absolutely wrong but equally that does not make the board right, they've been wrong since the day they took over and their sin list is long (getting longer) and unforgivable. It's the worst board in the club's history.

Okay firstly, the boards competence is irrelevant to whether or not Neymar shafted you. Which as I stated he absolutely did. Do you agree or disagree that he did?

Secondly,
    The players are demanding wages that would have put the clubs entire financial infrastructure in jeopardy. Even if they have the best interests in their hearts (which I'm very skeptical of given some of their antics) they don't exactly have the prudence or financial sensibly to run the day the day antics of the club.

Is Barcelona not more that football club? Like it or not, the club doesn't have to just pander to those few superstars. It's got a whole cultural and philosophical identity that was there long before Cryuff and stood for much much more than basic soccer. Or at least that's that what their slogan is supposed to say.

Thirdly, yep this board hasn't been great but it's no where near as bad as people are making out either. Laporte and Rosell were far far more shady presidents than Bartomeu imo. Actually, if we're being honest here I can't really recall a Barca board that wasn't somewhat shady. Your handling of finances has always been, uh, peculiar. To say the least. Worst board of all time? I wouldn't even have a clue where to begin with who that could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why were Real Madrid playing a friendly tonight?

The season's underway, was it for any specific made up cup or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why were Real Madrid playing a friendly tonight?

The season's underway, was it for any specific made up cup or anything?

" The Bernabeu trophy tends to be Madrid's one home glamour friendly before the campaign kicks off, but a four-match US tour followed by sweeping aside Manchester United and Barcelona for the UEFA and Spanish Super Cups meant there was simply no space in the calendar before the season got underway."

So....basically......it was another excuse to line the pockets! But Ronaldo got a run out during his ban so that was an advantage of it also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How did Neymar shaft Barcelona?

There was a clause in his contract which allowed a buyout.

That clause was activated.

3b49185217a3d0da-600x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Betis drawing at half time,the betis midfield of guardado, camarasa and xavi garcia running the show! Guardado had a lovely assist to sergio león.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

A great win! Feddal with the winner. Header from a corner. Guardado man of the match. Radoja and jonny were good for celta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Messi carrying Barca to three points earlier on.

Atleti two up at Las Palmas after five minutes, some terrible defending from the home side so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Asensio doing it again for Real. Been fantastic lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Marcelino looks to have built a decent team at Valencia this season. Hopefully can challenge for a European spot this year.

KONDOGBIA!!! What a goal.

Cue Ramos equaliser. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Asensio yet again!

• Advertisement

Typical Benzema

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm really not seeing last week's 'this is the best team ever' narrative for this Madrid team.

Asensio bailing them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Benzema stinking the place out tonight

dfx- wrote: »
    I'm really not seeing last week's 'this is the best team ever' narrative for this Madrid team.

I'd wait till the season is a few games in before ruling that out

dfx- wrote: »

Asensio is flattering them a bit alright. But it's also a symbol of their strength in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Simeone signs a two year extension keeping him there till 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

According to Dutch reports it is basically a reinstatement of the 2 years they agreed to take off last year.
    So he had a contract to 2020, last year they agreed to have it end in 2018 and now they are back to 2020 again.

They might want to make up their mind a little bit there.

Real struggling against Levante
    Lots of the ball but not doing a whole lot with it

Real are struggling at the moment, 1-1 at home to levante with ten minutes to go.

Marcelo gone

• Advertisement

Marcelo gone

Rightly so too.

Rightly so too.

Bit petulant alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Zidane out.

Just kidding of course, 2 bad home draws in a row though. Seeing as the points total are usually sky high between them and barca these results could already come back to haunt them which is mad to think.

klose wrote: »
    Zidane out.

Just kidding of course, 2 bad home draws in a row though.

Will probably be four points behind Barcelona tonight.
    And to think some people were proclaiming that Real would walk away with the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

And to think some people were proclaiming that Real would walk away with the league.

That's one upside to this league over the past few years.

Even when one of Real or Barca have looked in disarray, the outrageous quality of Messi and Ronaldo has always kept the league interesting.

I'd put my reputation that in the end Real will finish more than 10 points ahead :pac:

I'd put my reputation that in the end Real will finish more than 10 points ahead :pac:

10 points ?
    That's generous odds indeed .:)

It seems La Liga are considering playing some league matches overseas in the future.
    Matches could potentially be held abroad, most likely in the USA or China, as soon as next year.
    El Classico in Croke Park would be handy :cool:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/08/la-liga-overseas-fixtures-usa-china-javier-tebas

Kondogbia having a stormer again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

For all Real's stars they don't half look weak without Ronaldo. 4 points dropped in three games is pretty substantial by this leagues standards in recent years.

• Advertisement

Two nil after 35 minutes, that man Messi with two good finishes.
    Its been scrappy enough, but Messi and Rakitic are playing well.
    Espanyol are offering very little going forward.

Advertisement