Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2017/18 Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Absolute stinker of a start to the season for madrid, 8 points behind barca already is as big a gap between the two there has been in years I imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I have witnessed many epic nights of football but this has to have been the best. To go to the Bernabeu against the European champions, with all their millions spent on players, with the supposed best player in the world and with the referree on their side and for mi Betis to go their to win is ****ing incredible. To make it even sweeter is that in the bar there was some Madrid supporters shouting like mad and insulting everyone and then to have Betis score and even the Sevilla fans celebrate in their faces was epic. I'm still shaking writing this. I hope Camarasa isn't seriously injured and my god what a game Feddal had. I'm going to have a whiskey or something to calm myself down and to celebrate haha.

P.S sorry if this post is a bit over the top but I am delighted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Zizou out!

The Barca haters are lying low now ,their cough has been softened ,a seven point lead for a team that was written off little more than a month ago by many people.

Tonights match was amazingly the first time in 512 days that Real Madrid failed to score in a match .:eek:
    Los Blancos were previously held scoreless back on April 26, 2016, by Manchester City during a 0-0 draw in the Champions League.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The Barca haters are lying low now ,their cough has been softened ,a seven point lead for a team that was written off little more than a month ago by many people.

They'll be back...

I think a lot of people got carried away by the margin in the Super Cup game (outside of those just wanting to believe in the Barca demise every year). Barcelona were the better side for 85 minutes in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anyone who was reasonable were never writing off Barca in fairness, would be madness to do so. Terrible start to the season for Real of course though, need to put together one of those relentless winning streaks from the past few seasons to even get back into the race. Barca have had some very impressive second halves this season where Real's problem is exactly that, have struggled to put major pressure on teams in the last 30 minutes when needed.

What was with the Dembele t-shirts though? He's only out for a few months :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Real's next 6 league fixtures look very handy.
    They actually don't face any of last seasons top 5 until mid November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Only ones who keep up with barca is Sevilla.
    And this weekend it is Atletico - Sevilla.

Barca crowned champions at the winterbreak if this continues :D

Really looks that selling Neymar liberated the little genius

Edit:
    It was one of those matches were some really old record could be broken for madrid
    In '63 Santos had a 73 match run of scoring at least 1 goal.
    Last night could have been Real's 74th and record breaking match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Barca will start dropping points soon enough. There squad is not as strong as it should be. So reliant on Messi. Suarez has been very poor this season & at the end of last season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I never wrote off Barca but I assumed Real would romp through games, losing Ronaldo for the first 4 league games didnt help them at all and theyve looked very blunt as a result.

Looking back ver the last few winners points total in Spain, Real Madrid dropped a total of 21 points over the 38 games last year, Barca in 2015/16 dropped 23 points, the year before they dropped 20, the year before Atletico dropped 24 points.

So if we go on the assumption that you'll drop about 20-25 points, Real have started really poorly by dropping 7 points in 5 games, which is about a 1/3 of the points that the last few champions dorpped over 38 games. Its an uphill battle from here for Real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Great that Valencia have finally got a proven top-level manager in charge; the first since Valverde, all of 10(!) managers ago.

Best season's start for a long time, and undefeated so far including games vs. Athletico and Real. Hopefully it continues; a prolific striker (or Zaza to continue at this rate), and it would start to look like a pretty nifty team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Tonights match was amazingly the first time in 512 days that Real Madrid failed to score in a match .:eek:
    Los Blancos were previously held scoreless back on April 26, 2016, by Manchester City during a 0-0 draw in the Champions League.

Wow celebrating in September, such a Liverpool thing to do :pac:
    Wait this is La Liga thread gtfo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

irishman86 wrote: »
    Wow celebrating in September, such a Liverpool thing to do :pac:
    Wait this is La Liga thread gtfo

It was just an observation.
    You still reckon Real will win the league by ten points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is it just me or is Bale very unspectacular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Considering how often La liga goes to almost the last week to be decided, 7 points is a significant gap. Still plenty of time for Barca to crash and burn but the signs aren't really there.

The team is playing really well. Semedo is excellent at right back. Paulinho and Denis Suarez have been rather good when used as substitutes. Messi is good Messi. Dembele has to come back and Luis Suarez is bang out of form at the moment. Pique is sloppy as heck. Most of their attacks end with Deulofeu losing possession. If anything Barca could improve even more.

Have to say though Real are just having one of those moments where the breaks don't quite go their way. Last season, despite playing arguably worse they got those key moments to align their way *cough*Super Ramos bail out *cough*. This season that quite hasn't happened so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Real will get their act together, probably beat Barca home and away which would all but eliminate that gap.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Real will get their act together, probably beat Barca home and away which would all but eliminate that gap.

Define probably? They'd be 4/1 or bigger to win both those games. Probably would suggest you think that should be shorter than 1/1, as in more likely than 50%.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Madrid will close the gap, but there's no way they're going through the season perfectly + winning the Clasicos. But it's the natural ebb and flow of form, not the best team ever vs. the worst Barcelona team in memory as was described earlier in the thread.

It really was a cracking goal from Betis. Twenty passes in injurytime working out space and a spare man on the wing and a great header.

Was looking, they've only won both Classicos in a season once( 07/08) in last twenty years. Even if counting across two seasons that was the only time they've won back to back games vs Barca in last 40 league games.

They did beat Sociadad so really they only need to win one of the Clasicos.:pac:

Where are sky showing atletico sevilla game? All that's coming up on my footie listings is Celtic and Tottenham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sky sports mix according to live football on tv website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Not the easiest game on the eye but Atleti just pulling away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

https://streamable.com/gj5ry

Think it's about time they bring in retrospective bans for diving too. Pathetic attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

another shocking touch from suarez. is he done? form been bad for a while

another shocking touch from suarez. is he done? form been bad for a while

:pac: He got 37 goals in all comps last season. Still looks like he's trying to find full match fitness after his injury

This Real Sociedad-Valencia game is a cracker. Guedes is having a great game, should have did better with that pass from Rodrigo. That odriozola from sociedad is lightning.

Lads this is some game 2-2, Oyarzabal is after scoring a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This Real Sociedad-Valencia game is a cracker.

Best game I've seen this season by a wide margin.

Had to be a yellow. No idea what Rob is on about.

Pity about the red, but he had to booked for that. :(

Kondogbia is an idiot after that challenge in the middle of the field and then to do that

• Advertisement

Nice bandy legs assist by Guedes.

As I have guedes in my fantasy football team I'm like why wont you shoot, but he does now have three assists:-p haha

What a win against Levante. Im hoarse from singing and shouting. I hope all the players come back healthy after the break! Bring on Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lads this is some game 2-2, Oyarzabal is after scoring a beauty.

Nearly every game in La Liga I have watched this season has been a great game.
    PL is very good but La Liga is easily better.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Nearly every game in La Liga I have watched this season has been a great game.
    PL is very good but La Liga is easily better.

Whenever I watch it I always see the teams extremely well coached and disciplined, I'd say they do a way more work on the training ground. It also helps that the players actually give a **** about the clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Sociedad in another cracker today against Betis. 4-4 after it being 2-2 at HT.

Great, I missed that game earlier :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/914470017902792705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

https://twitter.com/esport3/status/914463684168216577

Apparently the Spanish FA have threatened Barca with a 6 month ban from football, whatever that means.

Barca seem to have taken the decision unilaterally and without the police asking them to.

Perhaps we could see a points deduction or something like that.

Las Palmas had a Spanish flag stitched onto their jerseys today, which seems an awful lot like acting the ****.

Yeah cannot understand why la liga even thinks this match should go ahead. Especially with Las palmas players wearing targets on their backs.

At minimum Barca will be deducted 3 points and fined. Nobody knows the maximum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well the club are there so I'd trust their judgement about the mood in the city over what the Spanish FA think in Madrid. Obviously the club will not be banned as that would be ludicrous and damage the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Match will now go ahead, but behind closed doors. No fans allowed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Is it not on Sky?

Edit: It is...wasn't listed on my guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Like watching a Sunday league game, crazy scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It a strange match to watch. Can hear the players and sideline so clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I wouldn't mind if Liga BBVA kick out FC Barcelona, Espanyol, and Girona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think maybe Espanyol might want to remain.

I think yesterday was a big day in history. I thought that maybe Barca, being more than a club and all, might have taken any punishment handed out to them and stood with the people and have refused to play yesterday. It would have made a very powerful point to the world, but I suppose fear of dropping points, suspensions, no CL football, no money etc was simply too much for them to give up. Money talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It will continue to do so as this whole situation plays out. Playing to an empty stadium isn't too big of a hit for a club like Barca who make millions from telly rights and marketing. They can afford that kinda gesture. Taking a points hit or a suspension for their beliefs would really send out a message.

I can see La Liga seeing the season out before making any decisions on the status of Catalan clubs if independence goes through.

It was interesting to see Pique say he'll retire from the national side if his politics. He's not popular among Spaniards because he dares to publicly declare his support for Catalunya and I imagine he'll be a target for abuse among anti-independence football fans after what happened yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

764dak wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if Liga BBVA kick out FC Barcelona, Espanyol, and Girona.

If they do I'm sure Basque clubs wouldn't mind following suit. That's at least another 5 clubs leaving. It would be the end of La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think maybe Espanyol might want to remain.

I think yesterday was a big day in history. I thought that maybe Barca, being more than a club and all, might have taken any punishment handed out to them and stood with the people and have refused to play yesterday. It would have made a very powerful point to the world, but I suppose fear of dropping points, suspensions, no CL football, no money etc was simply too much for them to give up. Money talks.
    It was very odd alright. I agree with what Pep said today. The football club basically caved to 'the man' and punished their own people at the same time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement