Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TPL for driving not-owned cars

Options
  • 13-08-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭

Why such product is not offered on the market?

Policy would have limitations type of the vehicle that can be driven (exp. power/weight ratio) or be limited to a single vehicle... Sure there would have to be an limitation of liability towards damages of the vehicle driven, but otherwise I cannot see any problems.

It is not about insurable interest - because a driver ALWAYS have insurable interest. Not for the driven vehicle (which could be explicitly excluded), but any third party damages.

So why?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

People technically have it already.

Say I'm driving a car I shouldn't be driving and I have an active policy on another vehicle. I crash the car. Even if driving other cars is excluded my insurer will he held liable as "insurer concerned"

The RTA basically ensures that if an active policy exists then that policy will automatically cover any TP liability.

Of course you can still be penalised from a legal perspective for driving without insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

People technically have it already.

Say I'm driving a car I shouldn't be driving and I have an active policy on another vehicle. I crash the car. Even if driving other cars is excluded my insurer will he held liable as "insurer concerned"

The RTA basically ensures that if an active policy exists then that policy will automatically cover any TP liability.

Of course you can still be penalised from a legal perspective for driving without insurance.

If Insurance Companies are already paying, why they don't offer such product?

Well, they do kind of. You need to buy a vehicle and insure yourself to drive it or any other car. You you can't just get less cover, without owing such vehicle?

Advertisement