Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipper sausage in batter et al

Options
  • 13-08-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

What exactly is in these vile, but very tasty, things?

If I bought one in Tesco I'd have to have nutritional information on the packet so just wondering what's in them, very little pork I'd imagine.

I suppose chippers don't need to display ingredients of these and batter burgers etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Eh ...... sausage and batter.... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, they use the cheapest sausage and dip it in their usually basic batter.

There is potential to make it at home using a great tasting sausage and a beer batter like this (thanks Jamie).

225 g plain flour.
    285 ml cold beer.
    3 heaped teaspoons baking powder

and deep fried.

Hmm next time Mrs G! is out, the kids will love me for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

In 1995 myself and my friend left the pub early just so we could get a battered sausage... in fact in our chipper two small sausages are a portion... those where the dayzz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Does the sausage cook in the batter or do you need to cook it first and then fry it in batter to crisp it up?

Wheety wrote: »
    Does the sausage cook in the batter or do you need to cook it first and then fry it in batter to crisp it up?

I'd cook them first as the batter would only need a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Ah man I'd murder a batter sausage, I love a good batter burger too

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

When I worked in a chipper many mom's ago it was mallon's sausages with batter made from flour and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My local chipper gives you a few chips with the battered sausage, haven't had one in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Yis er battering yokes awfully - God put some effort into it

Flour, beer or ale, aromat or salt, cracked black pepper, red chilli flake or skinned peppers (red/green) for colour Cook the sausages first and then the batter. For raw fish, deep fry for 2 mins, put in oven for 10, return to fryer for 1 minute and drain!

Flour n water me hooop!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Patww79 wrote: »

My friend owns a chipper - I insisted anything he battered was seasoned - salt and pepper isnt dear and cracked black put a lovely speckle on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Eh ...... sausage and batter.... :rolleyes:

Eh yeh well obviously:rolleyes:, it was specific ingredients for the sausage I was thinking about - as the chippers all seem to have the standard issue battered sausage, and also if anyone knew about the display of "nutritional" information requirements. See the questions in my post.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Eh yeh well obviously:rolleyes:, it was specific ingredients for the sausage I was thinking about - as the chippers all seem to have the standard issue battered sausage, and also if anyone knew about the display of "nutritional" information requirements. See the questions in my post.

Don't think that food legislation has reached takeaways yet - give them time though. They do have to list allergy info. Makes for fascinating reading while you're waiting for your order. :rolleyes:

I'd say the majority of sausages sold here, in shops or where ever, are filled with rubbish. Do they even give meat content percentage? (I'd imagine M&S would probably do this).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I bought one in Tesco I'd have to have nutritional information on the packet so just wondering what's in them, very little pork I'd imagine.
    You do know you can buy battered sausages in supermarkets now? They are pretty close to chipper ones.

A company called Ballineen does them and knock off spiceburgers and batterburgers. The original spiceburger makers Walshes went bust but reopened, the knockoffs are not as good.

http://www.ballineenfinefoods.ie/retail.htm

Wheety wrote: »
    I would cook them, at least a bit. I do not like the anemic looking sausages you get in battered ones. The chippers do the 2 fry method, if you did fry them and left them out to sit then the residual heat might be enough to cook them. Some might split them to be sure they are done. If you like the anemic type I would simmer the sausages before hand.
    ardinn wrote: »
    Yis er battering yokes awfully - God put some effort into it

Flour n water me hooop!!!
    Some might want the chipper style and not the fancy gourmet type, or any changes at all. Just like many people want easi singles on burgers while others are appalled and insist on "proper cheese". I have gotten some terrible "gourmet burgers" as they were trying so hard to be different to run of the mill chippers or mcdonalds.
    Eh yeh well obviously:rolleyes:, it was specific ingredients for the sausage I was thinking about.
    The italian chipper associates had sponsors on it.

http://www.itica.ie/index.php/associates/

You can check their sites and see if there is any info.

The crowd do a lot of the burgers, but I see no sausages
    http://www.rangelandfoods.com/our-products/bespoke-product-range/

I got "breakfast sausages" in tesco, frozen and low in pork, I hoped they would be like chipper ones but were not.

Some chippers will have suppliers on the wall.

Advertisement