Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumble topping gone wrong

Options
  • 13-08-2017 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help. So after spending a few hours on Saturday picking blackberries, I decided to make a big batch of apple and blackberry crumble today. I used the recipie from odlums but had to multiply the ingredients by 4.5 times.
    The crumble seems to have a weird doughy consistency which I'm reluctant to use. I'm wondering if anyone has any advise how to salvage the crumble, as I've made so much of it I don't want to throw it away.

Any advise is much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I hope I'm not too late.

It sounds like it has turned into a cake mixture . I'm guessing too much butter or very soft butter.

I would mix in some oat flakes and brown sugar. Use the traditional rubbing method with your fingers to get the mixture back to being crumbly. If you left it in the fridge overnight, it should be easy. Well, it might be hard work on your fingers but not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

huskerdu wrote: »
    I hope I'm not too late.

It sounds like it has turned into a cake mixture . I'm guessing too much butter or very soft butter.

I would mix in some oat flakes and brown sugar. Use the traditional rubbing method with your fingers to get the mixture back to being crumbly. If you left it in the fridge overnight, it should be easy. Well, it might be hard work on your fingers but not difficult.

Thanks a mill! I left it in the fridge overnight hoping someone might have an idea. I'll definitely try adding some oats and sugar this evening.

I actually had halved the mixture over two bowls as there was so much, and when I mixed in the first half I took away some of butter from the second batch but with simular result.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Do you have the exact measurements? The butter works best when it's icy cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I actually looked at the recipe there! Seems like quite a bit of oats in there.

I found a good recipe that consists of 110g cold butter, 110g golden caster sugar, 175g of flour, a pinch of salt and a heaped teaspoon of oats scattered over the top. The mix feels like a shortbread and you should be able to pat down to seal and then scrape it all over with a fork for texture and to crisp up.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Thanks for that. I tried huskerdu's suggestion of adding more oats and sugar, which worked nicely. Was a little over sweet but the texture was nice and crumbly. Will give the above recipie a try next time, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement