Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

masters in computing(information system processes)

• 13-08-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

was looking for some information on this course I have a law degree and was thinking about doing this course but thinking I mightnt be able for it if there was alot of maths or programming.any information on this course would be great?

Comments

20029422 wrote: »
    was looking for some information on this course I have a law degree and was thinking about doing this course but thinking I mightnt be able for it if there was alot of maths or programming.any information on this course would be great?

I attended a presentation for this masters and as far as I know there is no maths.

Do you have any background in computing? While it might not be programming surely you would need some background in areas like SQL/Java/Networking etc... Yet again I am not 100% sure but I would be fairly surprised if someone could do it without some form of solid computing background.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

I have no background in computing I was interested in doing the information system for business purposes in ucc but they don't offer the course part time my thinking was that this course would be similar.I was told by someone who done the ucc course that it didn't involve maths or programming but as you say with no background in computing this might be very difficult for me.I was hoping that many people do masters in subjects they have no background in and if they work hard they succeed

I have no background in computing I was interested in doing the information system for business purposes in ucc but they don't offer the course part time my thinking was that this course would be similar.I was told by someone who done the ucc course that it didn't involve maths or programming but as you say with no background in computing this might be very difficult for me.I was hoping that many people do masters in subjects they have no background in and if they work hard they succeed

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Note the mention of "Strong Computing Component" .

I have a BSc. Hons I.T. & Computing,

I would imagine that in semester one you could probably get through "Psychology of Computer-Mediated Work", "Human Computer Interaction and Usability," and "Business Process Analysis" which would be pretty wordy modules and may be passable by a law degree holder, but "Emerging Systems Development Paradigms" would be very tough, basically anything that mentions "Development" in either year you would really need to have done some software development courses and know some coding/programming (academically.) and I would think it would be impossible to follow if you do not. You might get a pass by choosing the non technical modules but I really would advise against doing it.

You could perhaps get into the I.T. industry if that is your goal studying something like this, intellectual property is pretty big:

https://www.ucc.ie/en/ckl16/

From the entry requirements:

"An honours degree in Computing, Information Systems, Information Technology or equivalent."

"Alternatively an honours degree in Business Studies or Engineering where there is a strong computing component will also be acceptable."

thanks for the feedback the one in ucc is open to all backgrounds but isn't offered part time

• Advertisement
Advertisement