Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Cells [PC]

Options
  • 13-08-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

Anyone else playing Dead Cells?

I've heard it mentioned on a couple of podcasts over the last few months and decided to give it a go after hearing it compared to Rogue Legacy. It has a lot in common with Rogue Legacy, so it you liked that game you might like this too. It is still in early access on Steam but I've put a few hours into it and it doesn't feel unfinished or unpolished.

I've noticed a little stuttering but apparently it is a known issue. Apart from that I think the jumping could feel a little better but the combat is great. The variety in weapons and powers is pretty impressive. It gives me that feeling of 'just one more run' that Rogue Legacy gave me.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone else playing Dead Cells?

I've heard it mentioned on a couple of podcasts over the last few months and decided to give it a go after hearing it compared to Rogue Legacy. It has a lot in common with Rogue Legacy, so it you liked that game you might like this too. It is still in early access on Steam but I've put a few hours into it and it doesn't feel unfinished or unpolished.

I've noticed a little stuttering but apparently it is a known issue. Apart from that I think the jumping could feel a little better but the combat is great. The variety in weapons and powers is pretty impressive. It gives me that feeling of 'just one more run' that Rogue Legacy gave me.

Its on my wishlist, how is the difficulty? well balanced?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

So far the difficulty hasn't bothered me too much and my deaths have all felt fair. I think some tweaking to damage levelling as you progress would be good. You can feel a little underpowered as you make progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

it's good fun and worth getting. I do not think it is close to being balanced. I find myself avoiding challenge levels at higher levels, and it feels mych more punishing as you go on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So far the difficulty hasn't bothered me too much and my deaths have all felt fair. I think some tweaking to damage levelling as you progress would be good. You can feel a little underpowered as you make progress.
    bellylint wrote: »
    it's good fun and worth getting. I do not think it is close to being balanced. I find myself avoiding challenge levels at higher levels, and it feels mych more punishing as you go on.

Are there boss fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Are there boss fights?

I have come up against 'Elite' level enemies but they seem more like mid level bosses. I believe there are bosses to fight just like in Rogue Legacy but I've yet to reach one.

I need to do a few more runs to level up some gear/gold retention on death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Great game and it regularly receives updates to balance the challenge.
    There are two bosses currently with a number of different routes through the stages which vary the difficulty.

Takes a good few runs to unlock enough weapons to get decent builds working but it's very much a 'one more go' game. Unlocking health and gold retention through runs is a good start.

Looking forward to the full release but it's already worth the cost of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Are there boss fights?

there are bosses yes, or at least I have found one early enough called "The Incomplete One"

bellylint wrote: »
    there are bosses yes, or at least I have found one early enough called "The Incomplete One"

Tough fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Tough fight?

The incomplete one is relatively easy. You reach him at stage 4 and will do so easily enough after a few unlocks. The proceeding stages are set after this and up the difficulty till you get to the watcher at 7. The watcher isn't horribly difficult but more stuff to dodge and a higher chance of dying before you get to the stage so less attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Short "7 Things about" review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Picked this up a while back. Fantastic gameplay but really needs to be further fleshed out before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Picked it up. Haven't put it down. Great little 'just one more go' game. Controls are fine, maybe double jump could be improved a little, but no issues otherwise.

Video is an hours worth of play (no commentary). Have hit 4 different 'Biomes' now, and there's a nice variety of enemy types.

Advertisement