Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids playing on street

Options
  • 14-08-2017 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

One of the neighbours doesn't like kids playing outside their house. Today they gave out to the kids playing telling them to play somewhere else.
    How would you deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Presuming there's plenty of space just ask the kids to play elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

It's an estate. So lots of cars and traffic around. They play outside their own houses in the cul de sac safely and in view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

April1 wrote: »
    It's an estate. So lots of cars and traffic around. They play outside their own houses in the cul de sac safely and in view.

This conflicts with your first post, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't quite follow the OP, surely a parent is fine to tell their own kids where to play?

The neighbour has no younger children, and doesn't want the children in the estate to play outside her house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Tell them to NOT play outside her house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The neighbour has no younger children, and doesn't want the children in the estate to play outside her house.

Kids play on the road in estates
    ignore her

The cul de sac is small, the houses are terraces. If the children who live on the cul de sac play anywhere else they would be out of site and in danger of traffic within the estate.
    Most of the children play close to their own homes on the cul de sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

I'm with your neighbour...and the first poster.

I take my kids to the park, to the beach, off camping, out cycling, to the swimming pool, etc, etc. We have neighbours who seem to view the street as a convenient playground for their children and throw them out there from dawn to dusk, generally completely unsupervised...and as well as run the daily-small kids-on-the-road gauntlet with the car I have had to ask those kids on more than one occasion to stop coming into my garden and screeching outside my door, stop standing staring into my windows, stop coming onto my driveway and zooming around my car on bikes, go-carts and roller-blades. I've had work and study interrupted with incessant screaming and shouting, I've had to pay hundreds to repair wing-mirrors left damaged, car scratches, car badges and name picked at and damaged, etc, etc...all this and a huge green at the other end of the street.

As endearing as our kids are to us - they're generally pretty annoying to absolutely everyone else. If your kids can play somewhere where they aren't or in a manner in which they aren't encroaching on the enjoyment and privacy of someone's home, I think that's a pretty valuable lesson to teach them. :)

QUOTE=Tigger;104367462]Kids play on the road in estates
    ignore her[/QUOTE]
    My children don't play outside that often, but have been for the last 2 evening for a short while.
    She gave out to my child and other children saying they can't play out side her house.
    I knocked on her door to find out what happened, she wants them to play outside my house. Which they do too.
    Its a small cu de sac, so there isn't much of a difference then playing outside any house.
    She said its annoying with them going up and down outside her house all day long if your at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

I take my kids to the park, to the beach, off camping, out cycling, to the swimming pool, etc, etc. We have neighbours who seem to view the street as a convenient playground for their children and throw them out there from dawn to dusk, generally completely unsupervised...and as well as run the daily-small kids-on-the-road gauntlet with the car I have had to ask those kids on more than one occasion to stop coming into my garden and screeching outside my door, stop standing staring into my windows, stop coming onto my driveway and zooming around my car on bikes, go-carts and roller-blades. I've had work and study interrupted with incessant screaming and shouting, I've had to pay hundreds to repair wing-mirrors left damaged, car scratches, car badges and name picked at and damaged, etc, etc...all this and a huge green at the other end of the street.

As endearing as our kids are to us - they're generally pretty annoying to absolutely everyone else. If your kids can play somewhere where they aren't or in a manner in which they aren't encroaching on the enjoyment and privacy of someone's home, I think that's a pretty valuable lesson to teach them. :)

I couldn't agree more. I have the same problem with kids congragating around my house and car and drive. I have 3kids, 15,5 and 6mo months. The kids next door are unsupervised while the mother is in work full time. Teen left to mind younger guy. They scream and roar in between the houses which mean I have to close the Windows when the baby is asleep. They are constantly (congregation of estate kids not just next door) on my drive around my car, running through my Garden and actually standing around on my actual door step. It's like talking to the wall telling them to move. I supervise my kids and wish others would do the same!! It's at the stage I'm seriously considering putting up fences which means the whole estate will be open except my front garden so I'm sure that will go down like a led balloon!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Purpletoes wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I have the same problem with kids congragating around my house and car and drive. I have 3kids, 15,5 and 6mo months. The kids next door are unsupervised while the mother is in work full time. Teen left to mind younger guy. They scream and roar in between the houses which mean I have to close the Windows when the baby is asleep. They are constantly (congregation of estate kids not just next door) on my drive around my car, running through my Garden and actually standing around on my actual door step. It's like talking to the wall telling them to move. I supervise my kids and wish others would do the same!! It's at the stage I'm seriously considering putting up fences which means the whole estate will be open except my front garden so I'm sure that will go down like a led balloon!

Totally agree too. I also live in an estate and have had to put up a fence that cost me €800 in order to get some semblance of peace while I'm at home. I've no car to worry about but the fear of having a ball put through the window is always there. My own kids don't be out bothering the neighbours and interfering with their belongings (I can't have anything in my garden, even the post box attached to the fence gets tampered with) so I don't see why I should have to put up with neighbours kids' being a nuisance. The youngest child next door (about 4 years old) does be out peeing on the path/road and thinks it's great craic.

I can't speak for the other children but my children don't play outside the house much. Except for the last 2 evening. They were playing on the road, not near the front door of the neighbour. There are no gardens, the front doors of the houses go on to the footpath. She said her cars had been scratched before by children. My child was no playing around the cars.
    Maybe if she handled it better and didn't give out to the children.
    I wouldn't mind so much but each day her dog relieves itself right outside my house.

fmpisces wrote: »
    Totally agree too. I also live in an estate and have had to put up a fence that cost me €800 in order to get some semblance of peace while I'm at home. I've no car to worry about but the fear of having a ball put through the window is always there. My own kids don't be out bothering the neighbours and interfering with their belongings (I can't have anything in my garden, even the post box attached to the fence gets tampered with) so I don't see why I should have to put up with neighbours kids' being a nuisance. The youngest child next door (about 4 years old) does be out peeing on the path/road and thinks it's great craic.
    I think what your talking about is not acceptable at all.
    My children and the other children this evening were just playing.
    Did you speak to the parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd just start playing outside her house myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Purpletoes wrote: »

Thats not happening here though.My kids play out,like most kids on the road.Sometimes they are in my garden,sometimes their friends garden.Why should kids be kept in cause some oul biddy doesnt like noise.She doesnt own the road.Let kids be kids.

ignore her
    My children don't play outside that often, but have been for the last 2 evening for a short while.
    She gave out to my child and other children saying they can't play out side her house.
    I knocked on her door to find out what happened, she wants them to play outside my house. Which they do too.
    Its a small cu de sac, so there isn't much of a difference then playing outside any house.
    She said its annoying with them going up and down outside her house all day long if your at home.[/QUOTE]
    Tough
    Tomtheposter sgibg that kids are in their front gardens that's different but knid playing on the road in estates is a thing

This isn't the first time she's done this. one of her younger family member who lives there too, drives too fast and reverses into the parking space outside the house like a rocket. If he thinks anyone is near his car he shouts. Also there is a strip if grass outside their house. It's public land, he's often told the kids to get off the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

ignore her
    She said its annoying with them going up and down outside her house all day long if your at home.[/quote]

I think your neighbour is dead right. This belief that the entire estate is the kids playground annoys me so much. It's totally careless on the parents' part. They are rarely watching their kids 100% of the time and sometimes not at all. They could get hit by a car easily in an estate but the mindset seems to be that the drivers shouldn't be on the road and the kids are supposed to be running under the wheels of the car or rollerblading etc.

In my estate all the kids play down at the cul de sac despite only one child living down there. They screech and roar all day long and sit in the middle of the road having picnics and playing dolls. They look at you like you are in their way when you drive in and I've often sat for a few minutes while they slowly move to another place to play so I can park. Its not their fault so I say nothing but I think their parents are extremely negligent and careless.

I have never complained because we're the only couple with no kids. They have put signs up outside to drive slowly as children are playing. I do take care as I don't want that on my conscience but surely it's the parents job to protect their kids and not leave it to chance that they don't get injured playing on the road.

To be honest I think it's a country versus town thing.

My partner and I are from the country, we were never allowed play on the road or stand on street corners growing up. It was unheard of. You played in your own garden, end of story. But a colleague of mine grew up in an estate and she loved the playing on the street life she had and bought a house in a big estate so her kids could do the same.

That's how I know I'm in the minority but if I ever have kids I would not let them annoy the neighbours. The kids are polite in my estate but they never look left or right and run out of their houses onto the road. Surely their parents must worry about the ramifications of not teaching them road safety. But no instead they put signs up for me to take care. I'm an adult so I know to do this. I wish some parents would teach their children about safety and personal responsibility so we don't all have to suffer a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I think what your talking about is not acceptable at all.
    My children and the other children this evening were just playing.
    Did you speak to the parents?

I have had words with the neighbours either side of me about their kids purposely throwing rubbish into my garden (front and back) and instead of apologising I was met with "how do you know it was my child" and I said because I actually saw them do it. Tutted at me, called me a couple of names and that was that.
    I asked one of the neighbours not to be letting her son kick the ball up against my front door and she called me names as well. Have also had to deal with neighbours dogs and the odd stray coming in and defecating all over the place but not since I put the fence up and the gate stays closed.
    I'd have no problem with kids playing outside whatsoever if they're not being a nuisance, sure kids have to play and all that. But constantly banging a ball against the front gate no matter what time of the day or night does wreck your head after a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I wouldn't mind so much but each day her dog relieves itself right outside my house.

Brilliant line,

Noodles81 wrote: »
    She said its annoying with them going up and down outside her house all day long if your at home.

I think your neighbour is dead right. This belief that the entire estate is the kids playground annoys me so much. It's totally careless on the parents' part. They are rarely watching their kids 100% of the time and sometimes not at all. They could get hit by a car easily in an estate but the mindset seems to be that the drivers shouldn't be on the road and the kids are supposed to be running under the wheels of the car or rollerblading etc.

In my estate all the kids play down at the cul de sac despite only one child living down there. They screech and roar all day long and sit in the middle of the road having picnics and playing dolls. They look at you like you are in their way when you drive in and I've often sat for a few minutes while they slowly move to another place to play so I can park. Its not their fault so I say nothing but I think their parents are extremely negligent and careless.

I have never complained because we're the only couple with no kids. They have put signs up outside to drive slowly as children are playing. I do take care as I don't want that on my conscience but surely it's the parents job to protect their kids and not leave it to chance that they don't get injured playing on the road.

My partner and I are from the country, we were never allowed play on the road or stand on street corners growing up. It was unheard of. You played in your own garden, end of story. But a colleague of mine grew up in an estate and she loved the playing on the street life she had and bought a house in a big estate so her kids could do the same.

That's how I know I'm in the minority but if I ever have kids I would not let them annoy the neighbours. The kids are polite in my estate but they never look left or right and run out of their houses onto the road. Surely their parents must worry about the ramifications of not teaching them road safety. But no instead they put signs up for me to take care. I'm an adult so I know to do this. I wish some parents would teach their children about safety and personal responsibility so we don't all have to suffer a tragedy.[/QUOTE]
    Youbunderstand it's the norm for city kids to play in estates but youbthink you will change it
    And if you have. Amid you won't let them play with the other kids
    Maybe you should return to the countryside

In my estate all the kids play down at the cul de sac despite only one child living down there. They screech and roar all day long and sit in the middle of the road having picnics and playing dolls. They look at you like you are in their way when you drive in and I've often sat for s few minutes while they slowly move to another place to play so I can park. Its not their fault so I say nothing but I think their parents are extremely negligent and careless.

I have never complained because we're the only couple with no kids. They have put signs up upside to drive slowly as children are playing. I do take care as I don't want that on my conscience but surely it's the parents job to protect their kids and not leave it to chance that they don't get injured playing on the road.

My patrner and I are from the country, we were never allowed play on the road or stand on street corners growing up. It was unheard of. You played in your own garden, end of story. But a colleague of mine grew up in an estate and she loved the playing on the street life she had and bought a house in a big estate so her kids could do the same.

That's how I know I'm in the minority but if I ever have kids I would not let them annoy the neighbours. The kids are polite in my estate but they never look left or right and run out of their houses onto the road. Surely their parents must worry about the ramifications of not teaching them road safety. But no instead they put signs up for me to take care. I'm an adult so I know to do this. I wish some parents would teach their children about safety and personal responsibility so we don't all have to suffer a tragedy.[/QUOTE]
    Point taken I agree, its the parents responsibility 100%. That's why my children were playing within site for the last 2 evening. This is a first for my children to play outside like all the other children in the estate. It's cul de sac so somewhat safer than than the other more main roads in the estate. I drive like a snail myself coming into the estate as like you said there are children running out their doors on to the road not looking. Lots of very small children too. reversing out of the parking space can be scary. In saying that there are good children who are thought to look both ways, to respect the traffic and to stay within site of the house and there are parents teach their children the do's and don't. I drill it in my kids.
    My child and the other child this evening were just playing, safely and were no where near this neighbours front door.
    The moment I hear that my child was given out to. I knocked on the neighbours door. She acted very poorly and was rude. There are so many other ways that she could have handled the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Youbunderstand it's the norm for city kids to play in estates but youbthink you will change it
    Maybe you should return to the countryside[/quote]

With respect that is the plan if we have kids. I know there is no point in saying anything. I just don't agree with it on a safety level. It is lovely to see the kids playing and as I've said they are very nice children and so are their parents so it's not worth getting into a barney over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Does not seem like a very rough neighbourhood, just normal kids' boisterousness during the summer holidays. They haven't thrown eggs or paint at the walls. There is every chance they will grow up and be the ones who will be the soundest of people.

Maybe you should return to the countryside

With respect that is the plan if we have kids. I know there is no point in saying anything. I just don't agree with it on a safety level. It is lovely to see the kids playing and as I've said they are very nice children and so are their parents so it's not worth getting into a barney over it.[/QUOTE]

Safety is a big thing. In terms of the rules of the road for children, and drivers slowing down. Children knowing boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is a difference between kids playing and being abandoned or latch key kids. Some People here seem to think a kid outside is abandoned.

While you can do so much for kids. Parents can't take the role of other kids. Kids want to play with other kids. They will do it in a place that is convenient for all of them.

You can't enforce your will on someone else's kids on public space, just like you can't control who parks out side your house on a public road.

While I have every empathy for people who want to live without hassle from kids. Living in a cul de sac or a road full of kids or young families, is never going to be child free existence. If you want to avoid kids live in mature estate or a location where it's not attractive to kids to play.

All of this is entirely different if you are dealing will kids who are actually harassing people and are undisciplined and bad mannered.

Kids should be taught to respect other people and Their property.

beauf wrote: »
    There is a difference between kids playing and being abandoned or latch key kids. Some People here seem to think a kid outside is abandoned.

While you can do so much for kids. Parents can't take the role of other kids. Kids want to play with other kids. They will do it in a place that is convenient for all of them.

You can't enforce your will on someone else's kids on public space, just like you can't control who parks out side your house on a public road.

While I have every empathy for people who want to live without hassle from kids. Living in a cul de sac or a road full of kids or young families, is never going to be child free existence. If you want to avoid kids live in mature estate or a location where it's not attractive to kids to play.

All of this is entirely different if you are dealing will kids who are actually harassing people and are undisciplined and bad mannered.

Kids should be taught to respect other people and Their property.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
    When I knocked on the neighbours door, I had every good intention but her reaction was far from good.
    I said I tell my children not to run through her cars because she said her cars had got scrapped before. My child wasn't playing around her car. So I said then they are fine with playing on the cul de sac. She said why couldn't they play outside my house. They do!
    Playing up outside my house or her house isn't much in the difference.
    I said they are just playing and we all have to live here. She didn't like this and wasn't the best after this.
    This isn't the first time she has had an issue with other children and a green area outside her house, which is public space.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Safety is a big thing. In terms of the rules of the road for children, and drivers slowing down. Children knowing boundaries.

How can safety be a big thing if you are letting them play on a road?:confused: Whatever about crossing the road to get to a play area put children shouldn't be playing on a road. There is no safe way for children to play on a road as that's where cars and bikes are supposed to be. Pedestrians have footpaths to play on or should the cars use the footpaths if they want to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Del2005 wrote: »
    How can safety be a big thing if you are letting them play on a road?:confused: Whatever about crossing the road to get to a play area put children shouldn't be playing on a road. There is no safe way for children to play on a road as that's where cars and bikes are supposed to be. Pedestrians have footpaths to play on or should the cars use the footpaths if they want to?

Jeez read the thread it's a cul de sac not the M50..housing estates are not death traps for children...

for God sake I wonder how any kids grow up with the danger of playing in the street.(sarcasm)

Advertisement