Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock hotel...earth and vine restaurant...anyone been?

Options
  • 14-08-2017 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I generally go out for dinner with my mother on a sunday and getting a bit sick of the usual Twelfth Lock, Castello Bruno, Brownes....saw the ad for the new Earth and Vine restaurant in the Castleknock Hotel. Seemed to be a good deal at 59 euro for 3 courses including wine.

So I rang to book and it was 'press 3 for the restaurant' which connected me to the spa...which was closed. I then rang the main reception who put me through to a waiter who said 'he wasn't quite ready to take bookings'. It was 1pm! I explained about the phone system having routing issues and he said he'd take a note.

So has anyone been or are these just teething problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

I haven't been there but the Anglers Rest is nice. Not too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I've had a really bad experience in the Anglers Rest so would never go back. It was a rather significant birthday in April this year and I booked the table myself plus my friend rang to book a cake (i was with her when they confirmed this to check spelling of my name). So off my bf and me go on the day...no sign of cake...as my friend had paid for it, I asked. My bf had gone out to wait for taxi and out they appeared with another woman's cake (from another party) with her name on it and proceeded to sing to me on my own. I just ran. I emailed and wrote later and never got a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

That was an unfortunate experience all right, but doesn't mean the food isn't good.

How about Wongs, lovely Chinese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Seoda1 wrote: »
    That was an unfortunate experience all right, but doesn't mean the food isn't good.

How about Wongs, lovely Chinese!

Doesn't matter if the food is good if the service is terrible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The food in the restaurant in the golf club at the hotel is lovely!

• Advertisement

That's vue? Tried it once or twice. Bit full of children. But I suppose to be expected on a Sunday. I do like maximillians. Ended up going to castello bruno yesterday and the maximillians waiter serving us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

amtc wrote: »
    That's vue? .
    It is. Great spot on a nice day. Views from the deck across the liffey valley are fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I generally go out for dinner with my mother on a sunday and getting a bit sick of the usual Twelfth Lock, Castello Bruno, Brownes....saw the ad for the new Earth and Vine restaurant in the Castleknock Hotel. Seemed to be a good deal at 59 euro for 3 courses including wine.

So I rang to book and it was 'press 3 for the restaurant' which connected me to the spa...which was closed. I then rang the main reception who put me through to a waiter who said 'he wasn't quite ready to take bookings'. It was 1pm! I explained about the phone system having routing issues and he said he'd take a note.

So has anyone been or are these just teething problems?

Big renovations going on in the hotel. Spa and gym is closed, new rooms being built and the bar area looks sealed up, although the outside area and playground is still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

January wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if the food is good if the service is terrible...

I'll second that, food is quite good at the Anglers, but Ive been left eating it at nearly midnight with them tidying up around us because their management of tables and taking orders is so bad. They overbook themselves because of greed, in my opinion, and the customer suffers. I would have no complaint if I was a walk-in, but Ive been disappointed concerning bookings too many times now, I wont go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anglers is overpriced too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

RasTa wrote: »
    Anglers is overpriced too.

yeah was there a few weeks ago with the other half and we thought the same too, nice but pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I've had a really bad experience in the Anglers Rest so would never go back. It was a rather significant birthday in April this year and I booked the table myself plus my friend rang to book a cake (i was with her when they confirmed this to check spelling of my name). So off my bf and me go on the day...no sign of cake...as my friend had paid for it, I asked. My bf had gone out to wait for taxi and out they appeared with another woman's cake (from another party) with her name on it and proceeded to sing to me on my own. I just ran. I emailed and wrote later and never got a reply.

Was in the anglers rest a few weeks ago and the service was shocking and nothing done when we said that the food which came out wasn't warm. Really really bad, complained to management on the day, in no rush to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Perhaps a bit too pub for what you are looking for but the bell or plaza are decent carvery. Also the Donkey Shed in Ashbourne not far. Might be too simple and its gets busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

beauf wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit too pub for what you are looking for but the bell or plaza are decent carvery. Also the Donkey Shed in Ashbourne not far. Might be too simple and its gets busy.

If ashbournes not too far 50fifty is superb. 3 course early bird for 17 euro. You'll have to be rolled out after it.
    Food is great, service is excellent.

Don't expect to walk in.book a week in advance.

Thanks for recommendations. Never thought about Ashbourne but probably is too far plus we'd need lifts. Don't particularly like carveries and the Bell isn't great. Had to run in to use the ladies recently and was full of people that I'd know barred elsewhere. Plaza needs a serious revamp, dirty and threadbare, plus operates a food service for homeless people living in apartments next door

I'll keep looking! One thought I did have is gjven my mam just got her bus pass we could head into town so might get adventurous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for recommendations. Never thought about Ashbourne but probably is too far plus we'd need lifts. Don't particularly like carveries and the Bell isn't great. Had to run in to use the ladies recently and was full of people that I'd know barred elsewhere. Plaza needs a serious revamp, dirty and threadbare, plus operates a food service for homeless people living in apartments next door

I'll keep looking! One thought I did have is gjven my mam just got her bus pass we could head into town so might get adventurous!
    50/50 are also in templeogue village.

Westbury do afternoon tea deal. This thread seems to be more about the place than the food. You might have to consider going into town.

... Had to run in to use the ladies recently and was full of people that I'd know barred elsewhere....

Sorry to go off topic but how do you know so many women that are barred, that they fill a pub toilet. That's really random.

Home in the wall? Still a pub though...

There's a restaurant on manor street that's meant to be good. Saw that in a paper once.

Ashtown pub, or there's some places at the station also. All near to the bus or train.

50/50 are also in templeogue village.

No car I think

There's that big pub opposite next in blanch.

• Advertisement

Ah have car just want to have glass of wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The Pakistani restaurant in Castleknock village is nice. Okra Green (sic?)

If you want an experience similar to the Anglers try Salmon Leap in Leixlip

Thanks for comments. As I said no issues with car (although still bemused why someone would consider Templeogue as being near!) but want to have a drink. My dad will drive us locally so that solves the issue, but won't go very far. Tried Okra Green before but my mam not into spicy food (I know they do mild food, but I may as well be talking to a wall). Wetherspoons is a dive. Also full of aforementioned people barred elsewhere (my dad's knowledge). Anyway we ended up in the Ming Court Thursday...been there lots but not for a while...food was lovely but service was out of this world...and could walk home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ming Court in the shopping centre? Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole it was closed down by the FSAI a few years ago.

Well can only say it was lovely Thursday! Doing camile tonight with mates so see how that goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well can only say it was lovely Thursday! Doing camile tonight with mates so see how that goes

Let me know how it is

I enjoy the Thai Garden.

Very nice...was a takeaway. I certainly wouldn't sit in. 10 euro off at the moment. Code 1dtu15. My friend doing weightwatchers so promo.

Thai garden ok but I find a bit familar. Recommended it to a work colleague and went there with her a few times, and she went with her husband quite a bit afterwards. When she was expecting they were very attentive which was appreciated. What she didn't expect was then to arrive into holles street just after she gave birth! It was very well meant but just a bit ott!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd always give the Thai Garden a big thumbs up, their early bird menus are great value. Arriving into Holles Street sounds a bit OTT no matter how often you dine there alright :D

To put context on that... Curry is meant to encourage labour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/6149675/Pregnancy-myths-busted-curry-does-not-bring-on-labour.html

...So it may not have been all that unexpected...it may have been a deliberate food choice. :)

• Advertisement

Just booked afternoon tea in Luttrellstown Castle which has reopened. €57 per person which is a bit expensive but given that I was named after the late owner couldn't resist (and she gave me £5).

Advertisement