Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Not a single shot from Inter all half despite 57% possession.

Nervy match so far, still see Juve edging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Not a single shot from Inter all half despite 57% possession.

Nervy match so far, still see Juve edging it.

Juve finished the half stronger and have had the better chances, I can see them getting a goal so Inter need to do something to improve the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

dor83 wrote: »
    Yeah, but I'd probably take off Candreva too and put Eder on.

Perisic is playing worse but you'd stick with him because he could suddenly do anything. I'd stick with Candreva, anything we're getting is coming from wide. The Juventini are diving all over the place, Chiellini who fell because D'Ambrosio put his hand on his arm is ludicrous given the size of him, I just hope the referee doesn't give a bad decision.

FCIM wrote: »
    Perisic is playing worse but you'd stick with him because he could suddenly do anything. I'd stick with Candreva, anything we're getting is coming from wide. The Juventini are diving all over the place, Chiellini who fell because D'Ambrosio put his hand on his arm is ludicrous given the size of him, I just hope the referee doesn't give a bad decision.
    You're right about Perisic but I'd like to see Karamoh at some point, think he'd give them something different to think about in the wide area. on I can't believe how easy they are going down and the ref is buying it, not suggesting he's biased or anything just that he's been bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cuadrado's crossing has been excellent.

Pjanic running the show now. Looks a matter of time.

Big match to put Dalbert into. Why not Nagatomo?

Inter have been embarrassing going forward considering they were league leaders coming into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Brilliant result for Inter.

Really showed a lot of steel to come away with a draw

Inter have been embarrassing going forward considering they were league leaders coming into this.

In fairness, Juventus weren't a whole lot better. It was a game where defences ruled. We need to offer more going forward against the better teams and hopefully someone who can do that will come in in January but we weren't that far off Juventus tonight and whilst they could argue they could have nicked it a draw isn't unfair either.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

There was a bit of luck to get the draw, Juve were the better team and on another night Mandzukic would have scored at least one. I'm happy with the draw but not the performance, very negative football and a few of the players had poor games.

Good result for Inter and the other title-chasing teams. I would have expected Mandzukic to take one of his chances on a normal day. Cuadrado impressed.

Headshot wrote: »

There was a bit of luck to get the draw, Juve were the better team and on another night Mandzukic would have scored at least one. I'm happy with the draw but not the performance, very negative football and a few of the players had poor games.
    I'm not disappointed to be honest. I knew Juventus would have had the better of it and I recognise that we didn't play particularly well going forward but Juventus really didn't offer all that more than we did which is a sign the team is at least solid. Also, whilst I'd have loved to win, it's possibly better at this stage we didn't. Win and it would all be about how we are going to win the scudetto and we'd be in danger of getting ahead of ourselves. Truth is we need two possibly three players in January and just falling short keeps that in mind.

I'm not disappointed to be honest. I knew Juventus would have had the better of it and I recognise that we didn't play particularly well going forward but Juventus really didn't offer all that more than we did which is a sign the team is at least solid. Also, whilst I'd have loved to win, it's possibly better at this stage we didn't. Win and it would all be about how we are going to win the scudetto and we'd be in danger of getting ahead of ourselves. Truth is we need two possibly three players in January and just falling short keeps that in mind.
    Like I said, happy with the result but Mandzukic had two chances in the box, the first he didn't control and the second he slipped, plus hit the bar at the end of the first half. With regards to the scudetto, I don't think we'll win it but so long as we finish top 4 and get CL for next year I'll be happy with this season.

Yeah that would be my thoughts on it too, i thought it was more down to poor finishing that it remained level rather than an overly impressive shut out. People can be very results based with their analysis, had that ended 2-0 to Juve which it could well have you'd not be hearing much about the defensive performance.

Also perhaps a little worrying from an entertainment point of view across Europe this season, super negative tactics seems to be the blueprint for away sides in big matches.

Like I said, happy with the result but Mandzukic had two chances in the box, the first he didn't control and the second he slipped, plus hit the bar at the end of the first half. With regards to the scudetto, I don't think we'll win it but so long as we finish top 4 and get CL for next year I'll be happy with this season.

Our aim this year is a Champions League place, not the scudetto. Don't mind what the media says. The players and Spalletti are all saying fourth place is the target this season.

Also perhaps a little worrying from an entertainment point of view across Europe this season, super negative tactics seems to be the blueprint for away sides in big matches.

I think too much has been made of this, like Jose is always said to be very negative but against Arsenal last week it was a great game to watch, people choose to focus on the negative games because they expect more from the games.

Our aim this year is a Champions League place, not the scudetto. Don't mind what the media says. The players and Spalletti are all saying fourth place is the target this season.

Yeah, the media has gotten ahead of themselves like they did a couple of years ago when we had a great first half of the season but finished fourth.

Yeah that would be my thoughts on it too, i thought it was more down to poor finishing that it remained level rather than an overly impressive shut out. People can be very results based with their analysis, had that ended 2-0 to Juve which it could well have you'd not be hearing much about the defensive performance.

Just seen the highlights on Rai. Juventus had three chances where if their players had been on a better day they may well have scored. Inter had two, one that Brozovic is more than capable of putting in on a good day, and the potential penalty for handball (which I don't think was a penalty but it did clearly strike his hand). Juve weren't that much better, a lot of shots from outside the box which aren't going to beat Handanovic which Inter didn't have but in terms of clear chances of goal there were three. Even the panelists said whilst Juventus could have won the defences dominated and a draw wasn't unfair.

In my opinion, Juventus aren't what they were and I think Roma will win the league this year. They've been on an upward trajectory for the last few years and whilst Spalletti is an excellent coach I don't believe he's a scudetto winner and isn't the man to get a team over the final line. He's brilliant at dragging a team out of the doldrums and leading them back up but I think this season will show Roma needed someone else to get them the final yards and I think in time the same will happen at Inter. Roma also have more grit about them than Napoli which is another reason I think they're the most likely to stop Juventus. I would say the finishing positions will be 1. Roma; 2. Juventus; 3. Napoli; 4. Inter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think too much has been made of this, like Jose is always said to be very negative but against Arsenal last week it was a great game to watch, people choose to focus on the negative games because they expect more from the games.

No offence to them but are Arsenal still a big game now?
    I'd have them 6th best in England now. A way off challenging for the league this season.
    Similar spot to where Milan are now :(

Well balanced game so far Chievo - Roma. Chievo look a lot more composed than last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You have to say it's awful managing by the Roma manager

A good chance to catch up with the top 2 teams and he plays a weakened team

Going by twitter it was Sorrentino 0-0 Roma

ERG89 wrote: »
    Going by twitter it was Sorrentino 0-0 Roma

Sorrentino was definitely man of the match but I don't think Roma played all that well. Anyone who follows Serie A closely also knows how organised a team Chievo are usually and how difficult they are to beat especially in Verona. It's not a great result for Roma but it's not a disaster either though it is a great result for Inter, Juventus and potentially Napoli and Lazio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

SPAL's gorgeous kit today to celebrate their 110th anniversary:

https://twitter.com/spalferrara/status/938809747641438208

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    SPAL's gorgeous kit today to celebrate their 110th anniversary:

https://twitter.com/spalferrara/status/938809747641438208

Spal has an ultras group called Vecchio Irish (old Irish) which I communicate with every now and then and their scarves have tiocfaidh ar la written on them.

209j9k7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Whats the link with Ireland?

Whats the link with Ireland?

Apparently an Irishman who used to live in Ferrara and had the Irish pub there used to be a Spal ultra and it grew from there.

Napoli are struggling. Same against Inter, Chievo and Juventus, anytime they come up against a team which plays with a defence which is organised with three at the back they have a hard time. Fiorentina lined up with a 4-3-3 but one of their midfielders is clearly dropping back when Napoli attack.

Napoli 0-0 Fiorentina, between them and Chievo - Roma that point last night looks better again.

#SalutateLaCapolista (like last week, it won't last so I will enjoy it whilst it does).

Have Napoli lost the wheels early this season?

• Advertisement

Crazy that the top four all finished the round goalless.

Bologna will do Milan tonight, feel this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Have Napoli lost the wheels early this season?

No they choke on big occasions for longer than this season. I'm already writing off my prediction of them winning the league.
    Hamsik has been so poor lately, maybe the pressure of scoring the next goal for Napoli is on his mind but he's off form.
    Napoli find themselves out of the champions league & due to a lack of rotation (bar 2 midfielders) look a bit leggy already.

Bologna will do Milan tonight, feel this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Can't see that happening based on the first half. Milan better, Bologna trying to hit them on the counter but pretty tame up front.

About as unconvincing a victory as humanly possible but we'll take anything right now.

Some decent draws for the Italian teams in Europe, others not as much.

Juve v Spurs
    Dortmund v Atalanta
    Napoli v Leipzig
    FCSB - Lazio
    Ludogorets - AC Milan
    Shaktar - Roma

Juve v Spurs
    Dortmund v Atalanta
    Napoli v Leipzig
    FCSB - Lazio
    Ludogorets - AC Milan
    Shaktar - Roma

The first three games could end up being very good.

Genoa vs Atalanta was supposed to take place this evening at 6 but it's been postponed due to bad weather and will now be tomorrow. Lazio vs Torino is still set to take place tonight at 8.

Teams:
    Lazio XI: Strakosha; Bastos, De Vrij, Radu; Marusic, Parolo, Leiva, Milinkovic-Savic, Lulic; Luis Alberto, Immobile.

Torino XI: Sirigu; De Silvestri, N'Koulou, Burdisso, Molinaro; Rincon, Valdifiori, Baselli; Berenguer, Belotti, Iago Falque.

Juve v Spurs
    Dortmund v Atalanta
    Napoli v Leipzig
    FCSB - Lazio
    Ludogorets - AC Milan
    Shaktar - Roma

I would pick Juventus, Lazio, Milan and Roma to go through. I think Leipzig will beat Napoli. Dortmund - Atalanta will be interesting and I wouldn't write off the bergamaschi.

Immobile sent off after a headbutt following the ref reviewing VAR. A minute to go in the first half. I think the ref had no choice.

Update: 1-0 Torino. Iago Falque with a nice finish.

Update: 2-0 to Torino now. Rincon with a peach of a strike with his left foot after cutting inside. That should be all 3 points you'd imagine.

Update: 2-1 now. Luis Alberto, who has been Lazio's best player I'd say, dinks the ball over Sirigu. Torino were themselves temporarily down to ten men as Molinaro was down injured before the goal.

Update: 3-1 Torino! It's another great strike with the left foot, this time from the substitute Edera.

Full-Time: Torino get their first win at Lazio in 24 years as Lazio miss out on the chance to go fourth. This was a really enjoyable game. End to end stuff from both sides and some lovely goals. I thought Luis Alberto was Lazio's best player; Tomas Rincon played well for Torino.

Whatever happens in the shootout, compliments must go to Pordenone.

• Advertisement

This Donnarumma saga is bizarre and becoming more so. In La Gazzetta dello Sport today there's a lot of articles on how he's claiming he was psychologically forced into signing the renewal last summer and is seeking the annulment of the contract. A contract which Milan are pointing out is worth 120 times more than his previous one. He's also claiming that a sell-on clause was not contained in the contract and only in additional papers and seems to be concerned this means it's not valid.

Now, as many people will know in this thread (and can be seen in my signature), I'm an Interista and subsequently no lover of the Rossoneri, but this is ridiculous. First, is he so arrogant and/or braindead that he doesn't recognise the size of the club he's at or that with that size in mind, whilst Milan are going through a bad spell, that's unlikely to last forever? Secondly, Milan are paying him handsomely and whilst he's obviously a goalkeeper of huge potential, at 18 he's still just that. I honestly can't see another big club giving him the chance he has at Milan. Are Real Madrid for example going to put all their faith in a man who is barely even an adult? Maybe PSG would but would he be happy playing in a much weaker league than he is in now? Thirdly, if the clause was supposed to be in the contract and isn't, that's his own and his agent's fault, not Milan's.

Is this just the latest of a series of players that Raiola, his agent, is going to play games with, see Balotelli for what Raiola is about, and instead of potentially growing into a legend will he be left with a career which doesn't match his talent?

With him and Andre Silva being linked with exits I'm at the stage with Milan I'm not worried at the prospect of any player leaving as nobody is performing at a high level to challenge for a top 4 spot anyway, much less a trophy. I'm sure Milan could find someone else who doesn't feel pressure about picking the ball out of the net.

Milan 3-0 Verona

Derby della Madonnina in the quarters on 27th December. Milan technically at home.

With him and Andre Silva being linked with exits I'm at the stage with Milan I'm not worried at the prospect of any player leaving as nobody is performing at a high level to challenge for a top 4 spot anyway, much less a trophy. I'm sure Milan could find someone else who doesn't feel pressure about picking the ball out of the net.

Banner in Curva Sud on Wednesday night:

Moral violence 6 million a year and the use of a parasitic brother. The patience is finished, go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Banner in Curva Sud on Wednesday night:

Moral violence 6 million a year and the use of a parasitic brother. The patience is finished, go.

Ouch!

pm1977x wrote: »
    Ouch!

He's now claiming he never said anything about being forced to sign.

He's now claiming he never said anything about being forced to sign.

lHXWok2MQk66MDCPdFCM_Whose%20Line%20Is%20It.gif

My response to him

lHXWok2MQk66MDCPdFCM_Whose%20Line%20Is%20It.gif

My response to him

He's a clown. Massive opportunity for him at Milan to cement a position in, whilst being the second Milanese team ;), a huge European club which sooner or later is going to have an upturn in fortunes and he's throwing it away. Reminds me of Balotelli in so many ways.

Are Real Madrid for example going to put all their faith in a man who is barely even an adult?

They have done before and paid dividends for them having a keeper for 15 years. And Donnarumma is less if a risk than Casillas was as he had some high level experience already. So I think the answer to that would be a resounding yes.

• Advertisement

They have done before and paid dividends for them having a keeper for 15 years. And Donnarumma is less if a risk than Casillas was as he had some high level experience already. So I think the answer to that would be a resounding yes.

Casillas came up through the Real Madrid ranks, they knew what they had with him and he cost them nothing. At a bare minimum they'd have to pay €25 million for Donnarumma and probably much more, maybe around double to convince Milan to let him go. It would be a hell of a gamble on someone so young, who has already proved himself an idiot whereas Casillas was no gamble because he was a Madrid youth player.

Advertisement