Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

UEFA are going to throw the book at Milan for FFP breaches because they literally have no Money left. They spent the bribe money in the summer too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

FCIM wrote: »
    Casillas came up through the Real Madrid ranks, they knew what they had with him and he cost them nothing. At a bare minimum they'd have to pay €25 million for Donnarumma and probably much more, maybe around double to convince Milan to let him go. It would be a hell of a gamble on someone so young, who has already proved himself an idiot whereas Casillas was no gamble because he was a Madrid youth player.

Your original point was about the age profile, he's less of a gamble than putting a 16 year old Casillas in goal that's for sure. He's got great experience for someone his age and has phenomenal physical presence for an 18 year old.

The money is hardly a big consideration for a team of Real's financial muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Your original point was about the age profile, he's less of a gamble than putting a 16 year old Casillas in goal that's for sure. He's got great experience for someone his age and has phenomenal physical presence for an 18 year old.

The money is hardly a big consideration for a team of Real's financial muscle.

Real Madrid did not put a 16 year old Casillas in goal. He was called up as reserve but he didn't debut until 1999 when he was 18. And the risk is not lesser with Donnarumma when you are talking about a player who has no knowledge of Spanish football compared to someone who had gone through the Madrid system since day one and they had been able to watch closely day in day out and nurture and judge at first hand whether he was ready or not and was free; Madrid are rich but even the richest clubs try to spend as wisely as possible.

Real Madrid did not put a 16 year old Casillas in goal. He was called up as reserve but he didn't debut until 1999 when he was 18. And the risk is not lesser with Donnarumma when you are talking about a player who has no knowledge of Spanish football compared to someone who had gone through the Madrid system since day one and they had been able to watch closely day in day out and nurture and judge at first hand whether he was ready or not and was free; Madrid are rich but even the richest clubs try to spend as wisely as possible.

He's in goal:pac:, the dimensions don't change in different countries. He's by far the best young goalkeeper in world football. There's very few sides he wouldn't slot into even at his tender age.

He's in goal:pac:, the dimensions don't change in different countries. He's by far the best young goalkeeper in world football. There's very few sides he wouldn't slot into even at his tender age.

The dimensions don't, no, but the style of play does. How teams attack does. Joe Hart is an example of a goalkeeper who has had a decent career in one country and was useless in another; he kept goal for City and England for years before looking very weak at Torino. I never once said he wasn't a great prospect, I think he's in danger of throwing that away though. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the risk element though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The dimensions don't, no, but the style of play does. How teams attack does. Joe Hart is an example of a goalkeeper who has had a decent career in one country and was useless in another; he kept goal for City and England for years before looking very weak at Torino. I never once said he wasn't a great prospect, I think he's in danger of throwing that away though. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the risk element though.

Joe Hart played behind a new defence, Torino sold both centre backs before he signed. Torino wanted to keep him on so you dont know what your talking about regarding him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

irishman86 wrote: »
    Joe Hart played behind a new defence, Torino sold both centre backs before he signed. Torino wanted to keep him on so you dont know what your talking about regarding him

You REALLY like Hart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

FCIM wrote:
    He's a clown. Massive opportunity for him at Milan to cement a position in, whilst being the second Milanese team , a huge European club which sooner or later is going to have an upturn in fortunes and he's throwing it away. Reminds me of Balotelli in so many ways.

He's been made a real fool of by his agent but has been actively contributing to his own mistakes. He has a handy gig at Milan as he was not under as much pressure as signings made & when he made mistakes fans never got on his back which helped his development early on. Ultra harsh to say but since he came into the side he hasnt improved as much in the last year or so. Still poor with his feet for example. I don't have much sympathy for him & Bonucci with their sappy photo midweek. Pair of them are on a lot of money especially for a side not delivering results or performances in Serie A. The reaction is entirely his own fault as he choses to represent himself. 200k & the club employ your brother who is worthless.
    Regarding Hart:
    I'm amazed him being weak diving to his left was figured out in Italy so quick. Think he's better than the last 2 seasons tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

pjohnson wrote: »
    You REALLY like Hart

Yes :o

irishman86 wrote: »

Um, seeing as I speak Italian and follow Italian football by reading La Gazzetta dello Sport every day, watching Il Sabato della Domenica Sportiva, 90° Minuto and La Domenica Sportiva weekly, numerous live matches a week and listen to various football programmes on Italian radio daily and am aware that Umberto Cairo spoke of Hart's poor performances as late on as April as well as various papere he committed during the season, I suggest I probably know more than your arrogant comment would like to suggest but I'll let you continue your dribbling and drooling over Hart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Um, seeing as I speak Italian and follow Italian football by reading La Gazzetta dello Sport, watching Il Sabato della Domenica Sportiva, La Domenica Sportiva weekly, numerous live matches a week and listen to various football programmes on Italian radio daily and am aware that Umberto Cairo spoke of Hart's poor performances as late on as April, I suggest I probably know more than your arrogant comment would like to suggest but I'll let you continue your dribbling and drooling over Hart.

TBF given that Hart is currently behind Adrian at West Ham this Torino spell is all that can be used to show Harts "magnificence:

The very fact he resorted to going to Torino in the first place tells a big story about his ability. He was punching above his weight for a good while and continued mistakes and poor performances deservedly forced him out of the City team. He's been dropped by West Ham now so argument doesn't really carry that Serie A style didn't suit him, he's just a bit crap in general.

Like had you said challenge of settling into a new culture/learn new language at a young age might be a risk I'd someway accept that but a footballing style issue for a goalkeeper is a seriously tenuous argument.

The very fact he resorted to going to Torino in the first place tells a big story about his ability. He was punching above his weight for a good while and continued mistakes and poor performances deservedly forced him out of the City team. He's been dropped by West Ham now so argument doesn't really carry that Serie A style didn't suit him, he's just a bit crap in general.

Like had you said challenge of settling into a new culture/learn new language at a young age might be a risk I'd someway accept that but a footballing style issue for a goalkeeper is a seriously tenuous argument.

I seriously don't think it is. A better example might be Julio Cesar. A legend in Italy, poor in England and improved again when he went to Portugal. Yes, QPR were bad and Inter were good with Julione but he was an integral part of that goodness and poorness.

ERG89 wrote: »
    He's been made a real fool of by his agent but has been actively contributing to his own mistakes. He has a handy gig at Milan as he was not under as much pressure as signings made & when he made mistakes fans never got on his back which helped his development early on. Ultra harsh to say but since he came into the side he hasnt improved as much in the last year or so. Still poor with his feet for example. I don't have much sympathy for him & Bonucci with their sappy photo midweek. Pair of them are on a lot of money especially for a side not delivering results or performances in Serie A. The reaction is entirely his own fault as he choses to represent himself. 200k & the club employ your brother who is worthless.
    Regarding Hart:
    I'm amazed him being weak diving to his left was figured out in Italy so quick. Think he's better than the last 2 seasons tho.

I think you have to look at the focus on football in Italy. Three sports dailies which make up more than half their content with football, more television coverage than you could dream up and football constantly on radio too. It would surprise me if they didn't work stuff like that out quickly.

I seriously don't think it is. A better example might be Julio Cesar. A legend in Italy, poor in England and improved again when he went to Portugal. Yes, QPR were bad and Inter were good with Julione but he was an integral part of that goodness and poorness.

That whole Inter old guard turned crap after Jose left, not just Cesar. Not a style issues, more so attitude I'd argue. Brazilians love a career fade too after success except for the very rare Cafu type.

I could give you lots of examples of goalkeepers that came into a new leagues and clicked straight away. Far more than you could give previously good goalkeepers that failed in a new league due to not adapting the countries style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Half time in Inter v Udinese, Inter are dominating but it's 1-1, Lasagna scored first and Icardi equalised a minute later.

That whole Inter old guard turned crap after Jose left, not just Cesar. Not a style issues, more so attitude I'd argue. Brazilians love a career fade too after success except for the very rare Cafu type.

I could give you lots of examples of goalkeepers that came into a new leagues and clicked straight away. Far more than you could give previously good goalkeepers that failed in a new league due to not adapting the countries style.

I'd agree on Inter. I think it was a mix of them being genuinely tired after Mou squeezed everything out of them as well as a feeling they had done it and that was enough. With Julio I was talking about his time at QPR though.

I think we do just have to agree we have different opinions, and whilst I absolutely respect yours we aren't going to convince each other :).

dor83 wrote: »
    Half time in Inter v Udinese, Inter are dominating but it's 1-1, Lasagna scored first and Icardi equalised a minute later.

Due to a lapse in concentration we let Udinese score with poor defending but we've dominated. I'd like to think we'll get the so far elusive goal but we've been here before. Dai!!!!!!!!!

Due to a lapse in concentration we let Udinese score with poor defending but we've dominated. I'd like to think we'll get the so far elusive goal but we've been here before. Dai!!!!!!!!!

Yeah we've seen plenty of those games before but this season I'm a lot more confident that we'll get another than I would have been for the last few anyway.

EDIT: Should have been 2-1 to Udinese there, poor defending again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Santon has always been a liability I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

3-1 Udinese now. Jankto has been in great form the last few games. Nice assist from him for Barak's goal.

Update: All over now. Udinese with a great second half display. De Paul was very good and the two young Czech lads Jankto and Barak caused problems. There was a ten minute spell near the end of the first half that Inter were all over them and it looked only a matter of time before they would get a second. Credit to Udinese for turning things around in the second 45.

It will be interesting to see the reaction next week against Sassuolo, will the players lose confidence because of this and the 0-0 against Pordenone. Napoli will beat Torino later to go top too.

Udinese have been the same for 20 years. Sign lots of players on cheap, start season terribly, gradually grow into season and rise up the table and then sell on successful players and rinse repeat next season.

It will be interesting to see the reaction next week against Sassuolo, will the players lose confidence because of this and the 0-0 against Pordenone. Napoli will beat Torino later to go top too.

Juventus will win tomorrow and go top and Serie A will be over in December as usual in the last few years. We'll go to 5hite now, same as when we started well under Mancini and a £uck up against Lazio sent our season spiralling downwards. Spalletti should paint the dressing room with Santon's guts after he threw away the whole match. Lazio finished our season two years ago, Pordenone did it this year. PORCA TROIA!!!

Juventus will win tomorrow and go top and Serie A will be over in December as usual in the last few years. We'll go to 5hite now, same as when we started well under Mancini and a £uck up against Lazio sent our season spiralling downwards. Spalletti should paint the dressing room with Santon's guts after he threw away the whole match. Lazio finished our season two years ago, Pordenone did it this year. PORCA TROIA!!!

I'm not so sure about Juve tomorrow, they're missing quite a few players and just think they might drop points there. Napoli will win tonight though.

I think the team at the moment is better than it was back then and I expect Spalletti to make some changes next week too, Naga will be in for Santon anyway and I'd have Vecino and Brozo out for Gagliardini and Joao Mario too.

I'm not so sure about Juve tomorrow, they're missing quite a few players and just think they might drop points there. Napoli will win tonight though.

I think the team at the moment is better than it was back then and I expect Spalletti to make some changes next week too, Naga will be in for Santon anyway and I'd have Vecino and Brozo out for Gagliardini and Joao Mario too.

To be honest, I thought Brozovic was decent and it all went to 5hit when he went off.

To be honest, I thought Brozovic was decent and it all went to 5hit when he went off.
    I like Brozo but there needs to be a change in that area and I'd like Joao Mario start so he would have to be out, Perisic and Candreva are not going to be dropped imo so that's the only position that is likely to change. I always have one Inter player who I have an unfair bias against and this season it has been Vecino, maybe because I like Gagliardini and he's being left out for Vecino, so he'd be the first I'd drop anyway.

Hamsik is a great player and has been for years but Maradona scored those goals in a fraction of the time he has.

• Advertisement

A bit of justice done there

One of the worse peno's i've ever seen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Get in!!

It's quite sad to see how bad this Ac Milan team is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

3-0 now for Hellas.

It's good we can do our charity bit for all those struggling in relegation zone.

Some game in Italy tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Game over 3-3. What a game. I'm delighted I've invested so much time in this league.

Game over 3-3. What a game. I'm delighted I've invested so much time in this league.

It's my favourite league at the moment. Any of the top 4 can win the league and it's full of goals.

Can't understand the decision to move D'Ambrosio over to the left after he's been decent at right back. I know he can play there but wouldn't it have been better to keep him where he was comfortable? Brozovic is horrendous in the trequartista role and Gaglia looks completely out of depth, against Sassuolo for goodness sake, and it's obvious how much we need Vecino.

What is going on over in San paolo, looks like some half.

What is going on over in San paolo, looks like some half.

It's the type of match that if Napoli can win it it could be the springboard to bigger things for the belief it would give.

• Advertisement

Enough of this horsesh1t about wanting to make the Champions League. We have a squad which will finish at the very best sixth. The Zhangs either need to start backing their words with serious money or p1ss off and find buyers who are serious about taking the club forward and not just using it as a cash cow. It's a toss up between the Zhangs and Thohir as to who has been the worst owners in the history of Inter.

There should now be a fan strike against the Zhangs. Their way of running the club is disgraceful. Talk rubbish about returning the club to the Champions League and to the top and then coming up with nonsense about FPF as an excuse not to invest. With owners like this, this is what will continue to be the result year on year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's the type of match that if Napoli can win it it could be the springboard to bigger things for the belief it would give.

Ft: 3-2 to Napoli

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Ft: 3-2 to Napoli

Obviously didn't see it because I was watching the disgrace that passes for Inter these days but to come back twice and win shows nerve and coglioni that I wouldn't have put on Napoli especially playing a decent side.

the disgrace that passes for Inter these days.

Could be worse you could be a Milan fan thinking Atalanta & another derby defeat is pencilled in for either side of Christmas day.

Could be worse you could be a Milan fan thinking Atalanta & another derby defeat is pencilled in for either side of Christmas day.

I'm actually about to watch it myself. I need to watch at least one team this weekend which deserves the blue-and-black jersey they wear. I have a strong soft spot for Atalanta due to strong links I have with Bergamo.

Big problem though - I know my wife's Christmas present to me is a trip to see Inter - ten days ago I was excited, now I don't want to fûcking go.

Poor match. Horrendous goal. However, Bergamo alè!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

2-0 Atalanta

2-0 Atalanta

I think most saw this coming

Going to be some lot of boo's at the end

I knew Atalanta would win before it was played. Sometimes I wish the nerazzurri I'd chosen had been Bergamaschi!

• Advertisement
Advertisement