Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Connect Marathon Training Plans - Which one to use?

Options
  • 14-08-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I’m looking at the Garmin Connect Marathon training plans with an eye on a race at some stage in the future, but I’m a little unclear on which one to pick.
    I’d like to finish in under 3:45 but the plans on the Garmin Connect site don’t seem to be based around finishing time and are instead just “Beginner”, “Intermediate” or “Advanced” and are either based off HR or not. 
    Could it be that the plans are all the same regardless of what your target time is but that the pace you run your Threshold Pace runs & Fartleks etc is faster for a faster finishing time and slower for the likes of myself?!!

Would anyone know how to tell which plan I should use? 
    Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The Rook wrote: »
    I’m looking at the Garmin Connect Marathon training plans with an eye on a race at some stage in the future, but I’m a little unclear on which one to pick.
    I’d like to finish in under 3:45 but the plans on the Garmin Connect site don’t seem to be based around finishing time and are instead just “Beginner”, “Intermediate” or “Advanced” and are either based off HR or not. 
    Could it be that the plans are all the same regardless of what your target time is but that the pace you run your Threshold Pace runs & Fartleks etc is faster for a faster finishing time and slower for the likes of myself?!!

Would anyone know how to tell which plan I should use? 
    Many thanks in advance!

What are you basing the 3:45 on? Is this first marathon? What is extent of your running experience? PBs at various distances? Can't give you a decent answer without knowing your background.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. This would be my third marathon, previous PB being 4:03:50.
    Have been running since 2007, recent race times are: 
    5k: 22:04
    10k: 45:14
    Going by the Garmin Race Predictor with the right training put in I could be looking at a 1:39 half and a 3:27 full, but I'd be very happy to split the difference between current PB and Predicted finish time and go with a 3:45. 
    That's it to be honest, I've been doing triathlons these past few years and the season is drawing to a close so I'm looking to keep my fitness up and take on the considerable challenge of a full marathon with a view to running one in Feb '18.
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have a look at the Marathon Improvers Thread here - some discussion of various plans there, and maybe someone will have knowledge of the Garmin plans (I don't).

I think something like the meno plan might work for you. Do you have a decent base mileage to begin with - an average of 30 miles per week over the past 6 months, say? If not, scale back accordingly.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Looks like that'll do nicely!

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Hey hope I can revive this and get some advice.

Did you do the Garmin plan in the end? I'm looking at the intermediate Mara plan.

Hoping to get a ticket to Dublin and it will be my first Mara. Running since 2019 and pretty comfortable with speed sessions and long runs.

Some recent PBS

4 Mile 22:56

10 Mile 61:00

Half 84ish - that's from a race a few years ago but defiantly stronger now. Running Limerick in two weeks with a hope to improve that.

Would like to finish the race under 3:30 but finishing smiling would also be a priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

61 minutes for 10 miles recently? You’ll jog around 3:30. You’ll be in sub 3 shape.

To OP If you put a the race into your garmin via the calendar you can add a finish time and it’ll do a training plan based on that.

Advertisement