Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaiters

• 14-08-2017 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Well lads Brazzill here on a new account. Hope everyone is well. Just a quick question...what are the best Gaiters out there. I'm looking at a pair of Yeti gaiters but reading mixed reviews. I will be wearing Haix Tibets and will be up side of mountains hunting Woodcock. Have had a few cheap pairs but these would only last a weekend. Any ideas or anyone have the Yet Attack gaiters?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had very similar if not the same Berghaus gaiters - exactly the same design. In the beginning I thought they where the biz, however I got fed up trying to get them on and off my Mendels Pro's and soon realized that the high boot on their own was a better option. On rough rocky ground the toe caps could work lose and bunch up around the toe cap of the boot. On a positive side if fitted right and with no tears they are the biz when wading above boot top height.

Mine lie in the odds and sods box now and if I do venture out I use a heavy duty pair of gaiters similar to these-
    https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.ie/p/sprayway-toba-gaiter-B9114163.html?id_colour=108&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMXMBRC1ARIsAKKGuwht36SvhulFCyxw3Bn2Wjl4m2BkhQNyC0GVL-AA6HFPCSj8_j6QGNMaAqjQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bottom line I wouldn't spend the money on the Yeti especially if your wearing quality boots under them. I'd spend that money on a pair of technical (breathable and waterproof ) walking or hunting trousers instead

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Irish Springer 12G

Cheers Cookie, crossing low rivers etc. is the only reason I am looking for gaiters like the yeti. just need the boots a little higher. Even though the tibet are as high as I could get. I love them and can't imagine going back to wellies especially after spending so much on a brand new pair. What I find when I buy the cheaper ones, they really are too low. I'm a lanky 6'2" lad and usually can't get a pair up to my knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

I bought a pair of these in army surplus store at a Game fair.......were about €15.

THey are as tough as old boots and higher that wellingtons...up to kneecap.

they take a lot of abuse.

cheers JR watching now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I reserve the wellies for rough shooting, all my stalking, decoying and general shooting is done in the Hiax or Magnums . The gaiters above are probably the same spec as the ones I use.
    The secret with them is don't 'dilly daly' crossing them streams. You unlike me, short arsed, should be able to ford those rivers in one to two strides. When the army brought in the Hiaxs they where a huge improvement on the older boots, but nothing bar a dry suit is is waterproof once you submerge them and then that's when you'll observe the ritual of the lads waving their feet around while in the prone position trying to drain the water out of their very effective waterproof boots.

• Advertisement

Oh of course I wouldn't even wade with those Yeti ones... But I know what you mean. I can not find a website where they have a pair of XL in stock. I have a new back problem causing sciatic nerve pain and my physio recommended using proper foot wear. Hence why I bought a new pair of Haix. Stay away from wellies she told me. I'd be walking 15-30km hunting a saturday or sunday. Any place in Ireland sell the yeti's?

Took the plunge and bought a pair of Yeti Attaks... €79 best price I could find with free delivery so can't complain. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Took the plunge and bought a pair of Yeti Attaks... €79 best price I could find with free delivery so can't complain. :D:D

British Army Gaiters, paid €13 for a pair of brand new ones at the army surplus about 7 years ago. Wear them with mindl s Dover extreme which they outlived and now wearing with German army boots. They Also had those yeti attaks for around €20, surplus too..... Oh well.

I'd be walking 15-30km hunting a saturday or sunday.

That is some serious hunting on a day out - fair play to you!

Don't know how accurate it is but it's on the Samsung s6/s7... puts in your healthy steps also(running after springers haha). and that would be on a saturday and the same on a sunday give or take a few km's.

• Advertisement

British Army Gaiters, paid €13 for a pair of brand new ones at the army surplus about 7 years ago. Wear them with mindl s Dover extreme which they outlived and now wearing with German army boots. They Also had those yeti attaks for around €20, surplus too..... Oh well.

These you could have got for €20????? :eek:

3d1100604040_zpsybpf5hwt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Not exactly the yeti but there not too far off them. They were definitely Berghaus.

Not exactly the yeti but there not too far off them. They were definitely Berghaus.

Looking forward to getting mine now.

Looking forward to getting mine now.

I didn't realise that they were different to other gaiters.....you must leave them on the boots all the time, even when boots are off....unlike traditional gaiters.

I'd say they would be very waterproof & give great protection to the boot as well.

You'll have some crack getting them on the boots!

https://ramblingman.org.uk/equipment/yeti_gaiters

Some good comments & tips at end of this page

especially this one

I watched the video that this comment page refers to and was puzzled to see the chap describing how to use boiling water to soften the rand, then using washing up liquid to help lubricate them. Puzzled as most washing instructions for goretex advises no hotter than 40 deg C, and although I am no expert, won’t the chemicals in the washing up liquid be detrimental to the leather boot, even a small amount smeared on?

So after watching I used my insticts and fought a while with each yeti but got them on with a little help from some talcum powder but the went on relatively easily and now smell a treat too.

J.R. wrote: »
    I didn't realise that they were different to other gaiters.....you must leave them on the boots all the time, even when boots are off....unlike traditional gaiters.

I'd say they would be very waterproof & give great protection to the boot as well.

You'll have some crack getting them on the boots!

He is putting them on the wrong way around the lala... To first is the best way... There is another video shows a way easier way.

Some laugh getting them on over a week ago now. Well worth it. Needed to leave them sitting in boiling water for 15 mins to get them on. Been out 2 or 3 times crossing rivers and walking through bogs and no issues what so ever. Bone dry. How long will it last is the next question :P

FB_IMG_1503658044485_zps1o9qv5d3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mil dot

Some laugh getting them on over a week ago now. Well worth it. Needed to leave them sitting in boiling water for 15 mins to get them on. Been out 2 or 3 times crossing rivers and walking through bogs and no issues what so ever. Bone dry. How long will it last is the next question :P

FB_IMG_1503658044485_zps1o9qv5d3.jpg

No need to put them in boiling water. If you put them on the back of the boot first. Then put the boot on the ground toe facing up in air. Place your foot inside boot to hold in on it ground.Get two fingers from each hand and lift rand over toe of boot. Takes about a minute for each boot

Maybe for a smaller boot.... I am a 10.5 in my Haix and there was no chance of pulling them on that easy. XL are 8.5-11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

]

Where did you get them from?

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    Where did you get them from?

JacksonsSports.com

Bought a pair, from the UK , got the first one on with a bit of effort, second one the rand just split at the heel section.

Pissed off now, seems to be a common issue going on the amazon reviews.

Bought a pair, from the UK , got the first one on with a bit of effort, second one the rand just split at the heel section.

Pissed off now, seems to be a common issue going on the amazon reviews.

Ah sure they will send you out another one. what size foot have you and what size gaiters did you get?

Ah sure they will send you out another one. what size foot have you and what size gaiters did you get?

10 and XL, Jacksonsports did not have any XL so went to another UK site, Everywhere seems to be out of XL. Delivery was grand although the central bar seemed to have been already removed.

managed to get one side on after a struggle , went to put the other on and the rubber bit split.

Sent them back today.

IMG_0543.jpg

Did you heat it before you tried pulling it on.

Did you heat it before you tried pulling it on.

Yes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Yeti-Attak-Gaiter/product-reviews/B005FEPSVC

Seems to be an issue with the newer Chinese made gaiters.

Strange I had no issues and had to put them on a bigger boot... at least they sending new ones anyway. could have been one bad batch on amazon.

Strange I had no issues and had to put them on a bigger boot... at least they sending new ones anyway. could have been one bad batch on amazon.

I had no problem ( well 40 mins of straining ) with the first side. the other side just tore.

I had no problem ( well 40 mins of straining ) with the first side. the other side just tore.

Some laugh putting them on correctly alright

• Advertisement
Advertisement