Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dicks in vape shops

• 14-08-2017 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭

Two of my friends have recently started vaping. They wanted to buy a basic kit so i let them try some of my stuff and they both wanted MTL kits. I gave them the names and specs for some of the basics and they each headed off to a shop during the week.

Both were sold sub ohm kits that neither wanted. One of them was trying to do MTL with it and was getting burnt juice constantly.

One of them thankfully bought one that was vw/vv so I gave him a spare nautilus mini that I had.

Still, the thing is, what kind of guy sells an 80w kit to someone starting out when it's not what they wanted.

I'm not going to name the shops (I will say one was in Dublin, one wasn't) but the crazy thing is they've lost any future custom from me or my mates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

i would say the "dicks" are the people that paid money for something they didn't want,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

AnneFrank wrote: »
    i would say the "dicks" are the people that paid money for something they didn't want,

How so? you could say gullible or easilly led but dicks is a bit strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd given him an eleaf and nautilus mini. His GF loved it and so a few weeks later he said he was going to buy his own. He wanted something similar so they could share coils so I said the nautilus 2 or mini (if he could find it). He ended up buying a cleito with a very low ohm coil and a 80 watt mod. The guy told him that it took the same coils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,729 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Was the shop told they wanted MTL specifically?

• Advertisement

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Was the shop told they wanted MTL specifically?

yep.

btw, i laughed at my friends. They were told by me exactly what they should get, they told the guy what they wanted, and walked out with something different. I asked one if he's bought any magic beans.

It just doesn't excuse the guys who sold it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

I hate when this kind of thing happens. I would say though at least with a high wattage mod your friend will have options to progress. Also, they do have some responsibility here too, they shouldn't have taken something they weren't comfortable using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Phill_M

This is fairly common from what I've seen over the last few years, before I even started vaping.

My first purchase (after giving up those crap VIP cigalikes years ago) was an 85W mod and a cleito. They were kind of pushy, but at the same time I had set my mind on a decent mod that I wouldn't have to replace immediately. I was definitely pushed into subohm without really knowing what it was though. I think it probably suited me more in the long run, but they didn't know that. They gave me 70PG liquid too, which made the first few days unpleasant until I found out I needed high VG. They didn't mention I'd need an extra battery (I assumed one was in the mod) and coils etc until I already had my card out and was about to pay for the mod, tank and liquid.

It's almost like they except most people to give up vaping after a few days, so they sell them the most expensive items they can get away with and make their money in one go. It's a shame, because a decent shop could start out a customer with the correct setup and earn a regular customer who buys liquids and upgrades from them.

If they've been lied to directly by the store then they deserve a refund. If they were only persuaded into buying a different product then there's not much they can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Pretty similar here in the UK. I recently went in to a bricks and mortor shop. Relatively busy with about 4 people waiting. I was only there to check it out and buy some dinner lady juice. A newbie was in there getting his first kit. He walked out with (not sure the mod) but a 4 x 18650 monster yoke and a baby beast. Like wtf?

To be fair though, everything in that particular B&M shop was geared towards sub ohming. Every juice VG heavy and sub ohm tanks. I don't get it myself, being a MTL vaper. I've dabbled with sub-ohming but I didn't like it. There's very little for the MTL vaper in B&M shops these days it would appear. Unless you're buying the sub standard stuff from the shopping centre stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

If i worked in a shop my advice would be a simple vw mod that could cope with .5 coils if they wanted to try it leaving room for expansion in the future and mtl tank maybe a basic sub-ohm tank if they were interested in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

In a local vape shop about a year ago and asked the lovely lady for a certain liquid. First thing she did was correct my pronunciation. A bit miffed I said do you have the liquid or not. She turned around to look for the liquid on the shelf. She couldn't seem to locate it so I said it's up there on the top right. She then proceeded to turn around to me with a look of pure venom in her eyes and said 'I know where every product is located in this shop'. At this stage I had enough of the cow and told her to forget about it and that I wonder how she sells anything with that kind of attitude. Haven't been back since, shame really as the had a good selection of 12mg liquids there which are becoming harder to find in shops these days

Advertisement