Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community DIY Garage Dublin Launched

Options
  • 14-08-2017 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

We've launched a community DIY garage in Dublin.

It's called 'The Sprocket Collective', and it's a not-for-profit DIY workshop and community garage located in the heart of Dublin city. We provide a shared environment, stocked full of tools and equipment, in a secure central location.

We want to enable you to learn, to work on and maintain your own motorcycle in a manner that is affordable, accessible, and inviting to everyone.

Members have their own key & alarm code and can access the space 24/7, store their bike, and use all of the tools. Plus free tea, coffee & snacks.

At the moment the space is run like a co-op, with the membership fee paying for fixed costs. As more people join, costs will go down. Several members have already contributed lots of tools etc for communal use, so big thanks to them!

There are no employees or anything, and we're not here to make a profit. In fact at the moment we make a loss every month haha, which is covered by myself & some very generous members paying extra, so we'd really love to have more people involved.

If you'd like to come down and visit, you're more than welcome! Pop us an email at thesprockethq@ gmail dot com

More info is on our website thesprocket dot co & you'll find us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook too.

If you've any questions just ask :) Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Hi all,

It's called 'The Sprocket Collective', and it's a not-for-profit DIY workshop and community garage located in the heart of Dublin city. We provide a shared environment, stocked full of tools and equipment, in a secure central location.

We want to enable you to learn, to work on and maintain your own motorcycle in a manner that is affordable, accessible, and inviting to everyone.

Members have their own key & alarm code and can access the space 24/7, store their bike, and use all of the tools. Plus free tea, coffee & snacks.

At the moment the space is run like a co-op, with the membership fee paying for fixed costs. As more people join, costs will go down. Several members have already contributed lots of tools etc for communal use, so big thanks to them!

There are no employees or anything, and we're not here to make a profit. In fact at the moment we make a loss every month haha, which is covered by myself & some very generous members paying extra, so we'd really love to have more people involved.

If you'd like to come down and visit, you're more than welcome! Pop us an email at thesprockethq@ gmail dot com

More info is on our website thesprocket dot co & you'll find us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook too.

I wish you all the best with this.
    Sounds good and fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really Really hope this works out, its a fantastic idea. But of course all it takes is one or two individuals to destroy the good work done by many.

All the best with the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Well this is a bloody brilliant idea!
    Well done to all involved in getting it up and running and fair play to those taking the hit while you're finding your feet.
    I don't live in Dublin anymore but I will be passing on the info to all my friends up there.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Great idea...looks a bit "tight" if you don't mind me saying....how many members can it handle...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hi all,

Great idea, once you pay your membership how long can you leave the bike there as your working on it?

I.E if it's up on a lift and gona take a week is that ok..

Also if you decide to bring your own tools can they be left without others going near them? Whether its a note on them or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TheSprocketCo

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Really Really hope this works out, its a fantastic idea. But of course all it takes is one or two individuals to destroy the good work done by many.

Thanks! We'll do our best to make sure that doesn't happen. Place is fairly locked down with CCTV, PIR sensors and what not, and we've a critical eye for who comes through the doors.
    erica74 wrote: »
    Well this is a bloody brilliant idea!

Thanks! We like to thing so :)
    Great idea...looks a bit "tight" if you don't mind me saying....how many members can it handle...?

Aye, the shots don't do it justice. We need a wide angle lens or something. There's also another room towards the back and parking out the front. Come down and have a look sure!

Number of members it can handle depends on a few factors - does every member want to store their bikes there 24/7? Are they all driving Goldwings? And so on.

Space hasn't been an issue so far. If it does become an issue I'll be a happy man! ha

But so far we've had one bike 'parked/stored' inside, one being power washed in the space out the front, and 4 inside being worked on simultaneously, and nobody got in each others way.

If space becomes a problem then we'll address it, but its not an issue at the moment and I'd say it won't be until we pass 10+ members.

We're in constant contact with places like Woodstock Moto Co., Cerberus Motors, and Moto Garage Chicagoland, as well as others. They're all providing advice and guidance and are a really sound, helpful bunch.
    Goose81 wrote: »
    Great idea, once you pay your membership how long can you leave the bike there as your working on it?

I.E if it's up on a lift and gona take a week is that ok..

Also if you decide to bring your own tools can they be left without others going near them? Whether its a note on them or whatever

Good questions! Once you pay for 'The Master' membership you can store your bike there 24/7 without exception. If it's gonna be up on a lift for a week, I'd say throw it in the whatsapp group and see if anyone thinks they're also gonna need the lift that week. Prob wouldn't be an issue. If there's that big a demand we can get another lift.

And yep, you'll have your own storage with your name on it that others won't touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Fair play to you. A great idea and an excellent way to help people to share/learn some valuable practical skills as well as promoting a sense of community and maybe have some craic as well in the meanitme.
    Well Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Wow, great idea. This will appeal to any self made mechanics who don't have the space at home to do it. I would find this very appealing but looking at the membership fee, and I know to provide this + insurance and security is expensive, you would want to be living very close to it and be using it often for it to pay off.

None the less, great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You might want to get some details added to your website. For one, I have no idea where you are based from looking at it.

Also, the banner pic on your site doesn't do you any favours, it looks like a tiny garage with some tools scattered about. Get some proper pics done.

Pelvis wrote: »
    You might want to get some details added to your website. For one, I have no idea where you are based from looking at it.

Also, the banner pic on your site doesn't do you any favours, it looks like a tiny garage with some tools scattered about. Get some proper pics done.

Thanks, will do!

Aye, that pic is from our 3rd day after signing the lease. Will snap an update later.

Any other details you were looking for?

I agree with this..to a degree...it looks a bit hap-hazard....its o.k looking all retro and "The Bike shed" looking but this just looks like some guy with a garage...soz....:o

BTW..i absolutely understand that youre just starting out at this venture, and fair play..wish you were on the southside tho...!!!

I agree with this..to a degree...it looks a bit hap-hazard....its o.k looking all retro and "The Bike shed" looking but this just looks like some guy with a garage...soz....:o

Thanks. Any feedback is good.

I'll grab a better pic later. Maybe make a video.

I only had access to a DSLR for one day, the 3rd day after we signed a lease - so I agree it looks unfinished, because it is :). Don't own one myself, and it's quite hard to get a decent shot on a phone. I'll see if I can borrow one again.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Wow, great idea. This will appeal to any self made mechanics who don't have the space at home to do it. I would find this very appealing but looking at the membership fee, and I know to provide this + insurance and security is expensive, you would want to be living very close to it and be using it often for it to pay off

I hear ya, but we figured since bike world charge 100 quid a month just to store your bike and nothing else, that we were providing a good deal. Esp considering our central location. Reckon people in the city with apartments and the like who don't have anywhere to store their bike would find it great - especially if you want to own 2 bikes or an extra project bike, which living in a flat myself I can tell you is a pain in the ass

If more people joined we'd lower the price. We're only interested in breaking even really. But it's hard to lower the price starting out. I'm already paying out of pocket every month to keep it open, and there reaches a point where I'd just be paying for people to use a garage.

And generous as I may be, I can think of much better things to spend my cash on ;)

Also in fairness, if you were there for at least one full day every month, it'd work out at less than 10 euro an hour, which I think is pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Though the local scumbags already know it's not a good idea to advertise the storage location of several unattended bikes and tools.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Though the local scumbags already know it's not a good idea to advertise the storage location of several unattended bikes and tools.

Haha yep! That's exactly why we've no location up at the moment :D

EDIT: I've just added a map to the home page that gives a rough location. That should hopefully help prospective members get an idea of where it is, while keeping the location safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

May i suggest that members must show proof of ownership of bikes that are brought to the workshop.

Just for legalities sake.

May i suggest that members must show proof of ownership of bikes that are brought to the workshop.

At the moment we ask for a copy of a valid ID - such as a driving licence, etc.

But aye, I get ya.

I hear ya, but we figured since bike world charge 100 quid a month just to store your bike and nothing else, that we were providing a good deal. Esp considering our central location. Reckon people in the city with apartments and the like who don't have anywhere to store their bike would find it great - especially if you want to own 2 bikes or an extra project bike, which living in a flat myself I can tell you is a pain in the ass

Also in fairness, if you were there for at least one full day every month, it'd work out at less than 10 euro an hour, which I think is pretty reasonable.

I don't disagree with what you said, my personal view would be that you might get more people signing up for smaller monthly cost or per hour rate rather than the structure you have at the moment.

I fully understand the reason and would not expect anyone to pay for others to use it and when it's starting out the costs will quickly add up. While I would love to have an option to have an area like that to use, I personally would have no way of justifying paying that a month.
    I really do hope this takes off. Wish you all the very best of luck.

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with what you said, my personal view would be that you might get more people signing up for smaller monthly cost or per hour rate rather than the structure you have at the moment.

Thanks Peanut.

I can't think of an hourly rate that'd work without subverting the value of the full membership. For example if we did a per hour rate of a tenner, and had a monthly membership of say, 20 quid, and you spent 3 hours a month there well you'd be better off just paying for the 60 quid membership in that case.

I'm actually chatting to Woodstock Moto Co, Brother Moto, Skidmark Garage, Cerberus Moto, Lucky Wheels Garage, Hickory Union, Moto Guild and a few others across the globe. They've been very supportive and helpful, and so far have helped me come up with the current pricing structure among other things.

Will have a think about it though. I'd like for it to be accessible to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I fully understand the reason and would not expect anyone to pay for others to use it and when it's starting out the costs will quickly add up. While I would love to have an option to have an area like that to use, I personally would have no way of justifying paying that a month.
    I really do hope this takes off. Wish you all the very best of luck.

There was a share car garage setup here a few years ago and they tried pay per use, it didn't last even with a lot more amateur car mechanics looking for a lift. I think the subscription method has a better chance for a bike oriented setup in this country, especially with more people living in apartments and the lack of anywhere to legitimately lock a bike in Dublin.

If too many guys just want to store their bikes there then there wont be enough room for a work shop area, my bikes would fill that space, for €100 month..totally worth it....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Was watching this progress on from when you first brought it up, so I'm glad to see it coming to fruition.

Certainly something I'd be interested in joining.

Leaving the area next month so unfortunately can't, but I did pass the site on to a fellow biker in work.

I would love to be able to take some kind of short term, (day|week|) deal. I'm sure if you can figure it out price wise there would be loads of people interested.

I have bike storage at home, but no where to do the work, and no toolset. so a place I could go of a weekend to service the bike or some other DIY on it would be perfect for me.

a day donation of €20 for use of the facility, or something like that. you could use the donated funds to buy some equipment etc.

I would love to be able to take some kind of short term, (day|week|) deal. I'm sure if you can figure it out price wise there would be loads of people interested.

a day donation of €20 for use of the facility, or something like that. you could use the donated funds to buy some equipment etc.

We did think about that, but were advised against it by the owners of other community garages. I like to vet everyone that comes in, and it'd be hard to do with day passes as it'd mean I'd have to go and meet them first and then give them access. I have a day job so I may not be available.

I also don't think a week deal would work, because it's only 60 for the month for our lower tier membership, so at 20 a day it'd only be good value if you knew you'd definitely only be there for one day a month, but if you're going to be there for the week sure you might as well pay for the month.

We might consider a day rate, but I'd be against someone having their own key for just the day for security reasons. So that means if you wanted to do a day pass you'd need to have a member present - in which case does that mean that member is then responsible for that person? What if they want to leave before the day pass person is done? Etc.

If we can figure out a way for it to work then we will. But until we get access control systems that work via an app or something like that, where we could give and remove access remotely, it'd be tough to do at the moment.

Also I'd be wary of how well someone coming in for the day might treat the place. Not saying yourself, but ya get me :)

What might work is that if an existing member wants to bring a friend or something like that, then we could do a day pass for them.

Will have a think about it. Thanks.

What might work is that if an existing member wants to bring a friend or something like that, then we could do a day pass for them.

Are you saying one can pay only for one month they want to use it for or must be on going subscription?

Also,bee above quite, what is currently stopping existing member bringing mates in?

Are you saying one can pay only for one month they want to use it for or must be on going subscription?

Also,bee above quite, what is currently stopping existing member bringing mates in?

If you want to use it for a month you can just pay for a month. There's nothing stopping people bringing mates in.

If you want to use it for a month you can just pay for a month. There's nothing stopping people bringing mates in.

Ah ok.... that makes bit more sense. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

We did think about that, but were advised against it by the owners of other community garages. I like to vet everyone that comes in, and it'd be hard to do with day passes as it'd mean I'd have to go and meet them first and then give them access. I have a day job so I may not be available.

I also don't think a week deal would work, because it's only 60 for the month for our lower tier membership, so at 20 a day it'd only be good value if you knew you'd definitely only be there for one day a month, but if you're going to be there for the week sure you might as well pay for the month.

We might consider a day rate, but I'd be against someone having their own key for just the day for security reasons. So that means if you wanted to do a day pass you'd need to have a member present - in which case does that mean that member is then responsible for that person? What if they want to leave before the day pass person is done? Etc.

If we can figure out a way for it to work then we will. But until we get access control systems that work via an app or something like that, where we could give and remove access remotely, it'd be tough to do at the moment.

Also I'd be wary of how well someone coming in for the day might treat the place. Not saying yourself, but ya get me :)

Will have a think about it. Thanks.

Yeah, totally.

It's a minefield alright. Only really works if there is someone on site all day.

Bring a friend or 'trusted' status would help.

Long term goals though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

Stewy the last thing you did to your bike yourself was stick a bit of air in the tyres, I wouldn't worry if I was you. Youd pay for someone to stick a shiny dustcap on :D

Advertisement