Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Partnership to LLC

Options
  • 14-08-2017 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi,

Just like the title says what is the procedure to do so?
    I didn't start trading yet and we have decided to change the business entity to LLC instead.

I looked up google an cro.ie for any information but I can't find anything specific.

Thanks in advance :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi,

Just like the title says what is the procedure to do so?
    I didn't start trading yet and we have decided to change the business entity to LLC instead.

I looked up google an cro.ie for any information but I can't find anything specific.

Thanks in advance :o
    Who created the partnership? What is in the partnership agreement? There is lots on on partnerships in Google, CRO and this forum. Have you used the 'search' function here?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Who created the partnership? What is in the partnership agreement? There is lots on on partnerships in Google, CRO and this forum. Have you used the 'search' function here?

I used the search function but didn't find anything relevant.
    I checked Google and CRO and struggle to find information on this topic for Ireland.

I proposed the Unlimited Partnership to CRO, we are not even at the stage of registering the name to revenue. So how hard is it to change the business entity now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I used the search function but didn't find anything relevant.
    I checked Google and CRO and struggle to find information on this topic for Ireland.

I proposed the Unlimited Partnership to CRO, we are not even at the stage of registering the name to revenue. So how hard is it to change the business entity now?
    You have not answered the initial questions, so you cannot be properly advised. You say you have not registered the ’name’ with the Revenue. Where did you register ‘the name’ – with the CRO?

I assume you have no written partnership agreement (foolish). That means you have a ‘partnership at will’ – which means it will be governed by a rather archaic act from 1890. A partnership of any type also is (possibly) the most unsuited structure to use for business in this century. It also means that any partner can dissolve the partnership.
    The bottom line – from the confused info you give it appears you are totally out of your depth and the best advice is to go talk to your accountant before you waste more of your time and money.
    Read this before you go see him/her.

You have not answered the initial questions, so you cannot be properly advised. You say you have not registered the ’name’ with the Revenue. Where did you register ‘the name’ – with the CRO?

I assume you have no written partnership agreement (foolish). That means you have a ‘partnership at will’ – which means it will be governed by a rather archaic act from 1890. A partnership of any type also is (possibly) the most unsuited structure to use for business in this century. It also means that any partner can dissolve the partnership.
    The bottom line – from the confused info you give it appears you are totally out of your depth and the best advice is to go talk to your accountant before you waste more of your time and money.
    Read this before you go see him/her.

Yes, like I have said before. I have proposed the registration of a business name to CRO.
    We are not trading yet, we have registered the company name with CRO but decided that we would like to change the company structure.

All I need to know is if it's better to fill in RBN3 for cessation of business and re-register as LLC or is there a way to change business entity without doing so?

There is no partnership agreement as such for now because we are in the process of writing it, that shouldn't be relevant if both sides give consent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You really need legal or financial advice. Go and find an accountant and ask them to help you and your associate establish a limited liability company. Explain what you have done and that you and your associate do not want to proceed as a partnership.

It will cost some money. It is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I have proposed the registration of a business name to CRO.

I'm assuming you mean you completed the Form RBN1A and paid the fee to register the business name. If this is all you have done, then all you need to do is submit the Form RBN3 to cease trading and then have the limited company then register the name.

I'm assuming you mean you completed the Form RBN1A and paid the fee to register the business name. If this is all you have done, then all you need to do is submit the Form RBN3 to cease trading and then have the limited company then register the name.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Advertisement