Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salty chowder

Options
  • 14-08-2017 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Made a chowder yesterday..having it for lunch today but it tastes a smidgen salty..I seasoned it with sea salt which I use for everything but only used a pinch..could be the smoked fish or possibly the American style bacon..I always put some sort of smoked bacon or lardons in my chowder.

Anything I can do to fix the seasoning now? In fairness it's not inedible but I would prefer it a little less salty..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The baon and the fish were the culprits.

Some people swear by halving a raw, peeled potato and throwing it into an over-salted soup to correct it but if it was me I'd just add more cream and/or stock (unsalted, obviously) and keep tasting til you correct the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The baon and the fish were the culprits.

Some people swear by halving a raw, peeled potato and throwing it into an over-salted soup to correct it but if it was me I'd just add more cream and/or stock (unsalted, obviously) and keep tasting til you correct the balance.

I grilled one of the bacon rashers to have a taste and oh Lordy..Like licking a salt block..never used them before..I finished the bowl anyway, as I said it wasn't inedible. My OH will be the only other person eating it and he likes salt with his salt so he'll be fine..

I've heard of the trick with the potatoes..I add potatoes to my chowder as well to make it a meal..but I've never tried to correct seasoning with one.

I actually don't put cream in..the first time I made it years ago the recipe called for a mixture of milk and cream and I forgot to put in the cream..it went down a treat so I've never put it in since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or you could grate in a potato. It would cook in a few minutes, then adjust the consistency with water or milk.

Advertisement