Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for OAPs with OACs?!

Options
  • 14-08-2017 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Old age pensioner + Old age car!
    Just a shot in the dark here, looking for some help trying get a semi-decent quote for my father.

Trouble is, he's very high risk at 76 years of age, and driving a 96D car he has owned for over 20 years.
    Cheapest quote this year is 1380 TPO with myself as a named driver.

Does anyone here know of anyone quoting for cars of this age, with an older driver? It seems to be just one or the other, everywhere will just fob us off with the age of the car... Feel bad for my dad, so really trying to help him out.

Thanks a mil for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

With the flood of used UK cars coming into the market and depressing secondhand prices of older cars, it shouldn't cost much to dump that car and get a more recent model.

I realise that at your dad's age, he's probably a bit of a stubborn old mule and of a mind that 'this car will see me out' but you need to talk sense into him, that's the only way you're going to reduce the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

coylemj wrote: »
    With the flood of used UK cars coming into the market and depressing secondhand prices of older cars, it shouldn't cost much to dump that car and get a more recent model.

I realise that at your dad's age, he's probably a bit of a stubborn old mule and of a mind that 'this car will see me out' but you need to talk sense into him, that's the only way you're going to reduce the premium.

His age will keep premium high even if he gets newer car .. Axa will quote OAP with OAC but the day of cheap rates are gone sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was just looking for a quote for my father, 72, and one place quoted €500 fully comp and €1200 TP. Most of the others were more expensive TP than fully comp but not as much.

Look for fully comp and value the car at €4k, they load cheaper cars and regardless of what you insure it for they'll only pay book value (unless the car is worth more than you insured it for), and the quotes might drop. Another issue is that they are starting to base the quote on the highest risk driver so if you are young try without you being a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Del2005 wrote: »
    I was just looking for a quote for my father, 72, and one place quoted €500 fully comp and €1200 TP. Most of the others were more expensive TP than fully comp but not as much.

Look for fully comp and value the car at €4k, they load cheaper cars and regardless of what you insure it for they'll only pay book value (unless the car is worth more than you insured it for), and the quotes might drop. Another issue is that they are starting to base the quote on the highest risk driver so if you are young try without you being a named driver.

Thanks a mil for the reply Del. That's quite an interesting angle to play on the value of the car alright. And I will definitely play around with having me as a named driver. I am 33 with a full license/no claims etc.

Do you mind me asking who you got the quote from, and what age/type of car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for the reply Del. That's quite an interesting angle to play on the value of the car alright. And I will definitely play around with having me as a named driver. I am 33 with a full license/no claims etc.

Do you mind me asking who you got the quote from, and what age/type of car?

Sent you a PM

• Advertisement
Advertisement