Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant Home - Holiday Homes excluded?

Options
  • 14-08-2017 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

We own a 2nd Home - it is beside my Parents house which is 3 hours from where we live now and belonged to my Grandmother originally. My Dad left it to me when he died. It is not rented out and we do not intend to rent it.

Longer term we would like to return there to live and renovate this house to live there however at the moment this is not feasible with my Husband's job.

Right now we go there every couple of weeks for a weekend and for holidays etc. There is not enough room for all of us at my Mums house.

Does anyone know how this new Vacant Homes Tax / Website will affect us ?
    We do not wish to rent out the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We own a 2nd Home - it is beside my Parents house which is 3 hours from where we live now and belonged to my Grandmother originally. My Dad left it to me when he died. It is not rented out and we do not intend to rent it.

Longer term we would like to return there to live and renovate this house to live there however at the moment this is not feasible with my Husband's job.

Right now we go there every couple of weeks for a weekend and for holidays etc. There is not enough room for all of us at my Mums house.

At the moment the drive is for houses falling derelict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

We own a 2nd Home - it is beside my Parents house which is 3 hours from where we live now and belonged to my Grandmother originally.  My Dad left it to me when he died.  It is not rented out and we do not intend to rent it.

Right now we go there every couple of weeks for a weekend and for holidays etc.  There is not enough room for all of us at my Mums house.

I would be inclined to say yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

davindub wrote: »
    We own a 2nd Home - it is beside my Parents house which is 3 hours from where we live now and belonged to my Grandmother originally.  My Dad left it to me when he died.  It is not rented out and we do not intend to rent it.

Right now we go there every couple of weeks for a weekend and for holidays etc.  There is not enough room for all of us at my Mums house.

There are some beautiful old houses falling derelict around the place. If they go ahead with the idea, I wonder how will they determine when is a a house to far gone to count as  a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I
    robp wrote: »
    davindub wrote: »

There are some beautiful old houses falling derelict around the place. If they go ahead with the idea, I wonder how will they determine when is a a house to far gone to count as  a house.
    'd say they will leave that up to the councils - there are parameters in place for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Worried now after reading about possible CPOs of Vacant Property by Local Authorities.

Does anyone know if Vacant Properties include Holiday Homes ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Worried now after reading about possible CPOs of Vacant Property by Local Authorities.

Does anyone know if Vacant Properties include Holiday Homes ?

Definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It's all a bit ridiculous, these CPOs are going to have a huge impact on the market, lending and our reputation overseas.

Hopefully someone will take a legal challenge to the European courts, the EU would like to ensure free market economics and protection of private properties I'm sure.

In the mean-time people will need to get creative to keep the vultures away.

Not a chance will holiday homes be included. That's if the CPOs ever happen in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

It's all a bit ridiculous, these CPOs are going to have a huge impact on the market, lending and our reputation overseas.

Hopefully someone will take a legal challenge to the European courts, the EU would like to ensure free market economics and protection of private properties I'm sure.

In the mean-time people will need to get creative to keep the vultures away.

Lending for all purchasers, including owner occupiers, will markedly contract. If a CPO can be slapped on a property for reasons unknown into the future then prospective purchasers may not be in a position to commit to the mortgage over the full life of its term on foot of not being able to discharge the outstanding balance on the loan when the whistle blows / music stops.

The OP has set out the ideal grounds for challenging this legislation as it interferes with personal autonomy and movement not just property rights as and of themselves.

Absolutely, it could be a slippery slope.

It might start with vacant homes but who is to say they won't used it as a mean to force out small-time landlords. I do agree that it is a waste to leave property and land go idle but why not use a carrot rather than a stick to get things moving? And how aggressive will the LAs and government be. Will people in nursing homes be forced to sell their family homes for instance if they are left empty for too long?

Irish people are very defensive around property and land, a lot I guess due to our history as a colony.

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

Don't know what to do now. We use this house at least twice a month. It makes visiting my elderly Mum and sibling with Special Needs so much easier as there is not enough space for all of us in my Mum's house.

It also threatens to disrupt our Medium / Long Term Plans to live there.

The area is quite rural and not in a RPZ. While habitable the house would require significant works to make it suitable to rent (which we don't want to do anyway). Hopefully the LA wouldnot be too interested in it.

If the LA do decide to CPO it, we will have no choice but to challenge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks all.

Don't know what to do now. We use this house at least twice a month. It makes visiting my elderly Mum and sibling with Special Needs so much easier as there is not enough space for all of us in my Mum's house.

The area is quite rural and not in a RPZ. While habitable the house would require significant works to make it suitable to rent (which we don't want to do anyway). Hopefully the LA wouldnot be too interested in it.

As with al these govt notions, there will be a way to get around it. Just read the fine print. Keep the electricity connected. Get a utility bill delivered there in one of your names. Now it's not "vacant". Taa-daa.

I only have a vague historical memory, the british taxes had some strange impacts on irish housing. The window taxes (or typhus tax as it became know I think), where if you had more than 6 windows you fell into a tax bracket... so loads of older irish houses are very stingy with windows! Was there another one, where people went around taking the roofs off vacant houses to avoid another tax?

pwurple wrote: »
    As with al these govt notions, there will be a way to get around it. Just read the fine print. Keep the electricity connected. Get a utility bill delivered there in one of your names. Now it's not "vacant". Taa-daa.

The ESB is on and Bill in my name delivered to that address. We are there at least twice a month more in Summer / Christmas etc.

Or a relationship could "break-up" and one of the parties needs to move into the vacant home making it their PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Thanks all.

I think you are worrying over nothing. Nobody could say this house is vacant. You are there regularly, services are connected & being paid for & post is being delivered. This is not the type of house that will be on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Or you could just pay the Tax....

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Paying the Tax is obviously preferable to a CPO.

When I originally posted I was worried about a Tax as our finances are fairly tight but manageable at the moment. But then I read about possible CPOs by LAs.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

No way should someone have to pay a vacant tax on a house they are using regularly.

OP as others have said I think you are worrying over nothing, you are not going to be on the radar for any of this potential stuff.

No way should someone have to pay a vacant tax on a house they are using regularly.

OP as others have said I think you are worrying over nothing, you are not going to be on the radar for any of this potential stuff.

True, and who would ever admit to be liable for any vacant tax now with CPO in play? It would be just drawing attention to yourself.

Advertisement