Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer lingus schedule change-makes connection impossible. all booked through AL

Options
  • 14-08-2017 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all, I wonder if anybody has any advice or info please. I received a schedule change email from Aer Lingus, the revised itinerary only allows 21 mins to make a long haul flight connection. I made this booking through AL website last April and deliberately chose the flights in accordance with travel times to airport and accommodation check out, however this change makes the connection impossible to make. I called the number and was told the connection was indeed impossible (i'm wondering why they even sent/proposed it?) and offered either a much earlier or next day connection to Dublin, the earlier option is not possible for us as we need to check out, clean, do handover and drive to airport.. if I take the later flight its an overnight stay... my question really is will AL cover/reimburse me for either? AL told me its up to customer relations to keep my receipts and apply after the fact..... I pointed out that they had sent me a schedule change that was never going to work and had I not fully checked it, we would have been forced to stay overnight, she replied the airport might charge you a missed connection fee and I was lucky I noticed it... have to say I'm quite surprised at this, its as if I'm at fault somehow for noticing their error. I have always had great experiences with Are Lingus in the past and I'm constantly advising friends to book with them... thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

<SNIP>

Was this booked as a connecting flight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 estelleesther

Yes, through AL website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

They have offered to facilitate you with a different itinerary, either earlier or later. It is your choice not to take those alternatives. I'm sure they would also give you a full refund as a third option. I'm not really sure what else you would expect them to do in this situation. However, if they insist that you can make the connection then you can confirm this transit time with the airport directly ...not that it would make much of a difference to the conversation since Aer Lingus have demonstrated they have done everything possible to accommodate you (assuming they're happy to fully refund you).

@Angrylips, yes they have offered earlier and later as I would expect as its the airline that changed the flights. both these options are going to cost me - either cancelation of existing accommodation booking or overnight stay to make later connection - will I be reimbursed for the extra cost of either option presented to me....

my question really is will AL cover/reimburse me for either?

thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How far out is the flight?

• Advertisement

Eh, no they won't. No company will reimburse you for the inconvenience of life. Do mobile companies reimburse you for the job offer you miss if their network goes down? Will Starbucks reimburse you for loss of productivity if their coffee machines don't work in the morning? Maybe your travel insurance will cover it, but that would be about it. You'll need to ask them.

L1011 wrote: »

Actually this is a good question, because then it might be covered by EU legislation on miss/cancelled/delayed flights

L1011 wrote: »

do you mean the date of the flight, or how much it was changed by (i'm aware of the 2hour limit)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

do you mean the date of the flight, or how much it was changed by (i'm aware of the 2hour limit)

The date of the flight.

it's the rtn portion of the flight, so 19th October 2017. Its a long haul. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

it's the rtn portion of the flight, so 19th October 2017. Its a long haul. thanks

I fly Aer Lingus long haul a lot, and I find them absolutely awful to deal with.

No, you won't be reimbursed, is my opinion. I've often booked flights with them (connecting flights booked all the way through with Aer Lingus on one ticket), missed connections due to Aer Lingus flight delays at the origin, and then have to pay for my own hotel in very expensive cities like Boston and New York, bc Aer Lingus left me high and dry.

They are absolutely awful in terms of customer service (I unfortunately have to use them a lot bc of where my parents live).

No, you won't be reimbursed, is my opinion. I've often booked flights with them (connecting flights booked all the way through with Aer Lingus on one ticket), missed connections due to Aer Lingus flight delays at the origin, and then have to pay for my own hotel in very expensive cities like Boston and New York, bc Aer Lingus left me high and dry.

They are absolutely awful in terms of customer service (I unfortunately have to use them a lot bc of where my parents live).[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply, yeah pretty disappointed in them tbh, I've had schedule changes many times before and just rolled with it, but this is different as such a long time between flights..22hours is a long time to wait at the airport..... and the schedule change was a fantasy to begin with (21 mins to make connection at Boston) so I'm confused as to why they even
    sent it to me.. anyway ill try figure out which will cost me less I guess and go w that option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You may be the only one making that particular connection. If it saves them €5000 elsewhere to change the schedule they'll do it. If you cancel your booking its no biggie to them.

ED E wrote: »
    You may be the only one making that particular connection. If it saves them €5000 elsewhere to change the schedule they'll do it. If you cancel your booking its no biggie to them.

Hmm.... comforting lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Be sure to claim your EU 261 money.

Thank you Fred, I will look into that now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

This post has been deleted.

I don't think compensation is available because more than 2 weeks notice has been given.

2 weeks is the rule for a cancellation, it could be considered an alteration to the same flight so you could argue (and if you want any cash from them you would have to) it should be covered under delays but I'm not certain you would be successful.

The whole area of flight changes and cancellations is one where the EU rules let the airlines off the hook, having to re-book at 2 weeks notice will usually mean a big increase in cost for passengers and the airlines know it.

Ironically if you ignore the fact the connection is impossible and just used this new booking as they have provided once you missed the second flight you would be due €600 plus meals and overnight accommodation under EU261.

If you are going to be stuck overnight waiting for the next flight it would be better if you were entitled to expenses and compensation rather than having to beg customer services for some scraps of "goodwill".

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Ironically if you ignore the fact the connection is impossible and just used this new booking as they have provided once you missed the second flight you would be due €600 plus meals and overnight accommodation under EU261.

Yes!, that's why help desk answered my query of same (what if I had just turned up and not noticed this?) and she deferred with I would 'probably have to pay a missed connection fee anyway so you're lucky you noticed' obviously a tactic to dissuade that option... as I thought it a strange/off the point reply

Its a tempting option now in the light of things, but I already made the call, so I'm assuming that's noted now and they wouldn't entertain just turning up.... I guess I should have got on here first... crazy situation!

So, if I hadn't noticed the impossible change-over/reschedule and just gone ahead... where would the fault lie? with me for not noticing or the airline for issuing a different faulty itinerary... I'm assuming AL is responsible for what they issue.. thought i was doing the right thing enquiring about it.... turns out I should have ignored and i'd be compensated..... mad system

Yes!, that's why help desk answered my query of same (what if I had just turned up and not noticed this?) and she deferred with I would 'probably have to pay a missed connection fee anyway so you're lucky you noticed' obviously a tactic to dissuade that option... as I thought it a strange/off the point reply

Its a tempting option now in the light of things, but I already made the call, so I'm assuming that's noted now and they wouldn't entertain just turning up.... I guess I should have got on here first... crazy situation!

I think you would still be entitled to compensation under EU rules since they haven't changed your itinerary to an alternative schedule. By allowing you to continue on a schedule with a 20 minute connection time without seeking to rebook you, they are explicitly saying that this schedule is possible and if you miss the connection due to inadequate time then Aer Lingus would be in the wrong here. You would also have Boston Airport's guidance on minimum connection times to back you up on it, I'm sure.
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    The whole area of flight changes and cancellations is one where the EU rules let the airlines off the hook, having to re-book at 2 weeks notice will usually mean a big increase in cost for passengers and the airlines know this.

In reality, airlines set their timetables months in advance, its not exactly a rule they exploit for profit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

In defence of Aer Lingus, if it was the first leg of the journey that was changed, then this would have been their partner airline (presumably JetBlue) and not them, and so the change would have been out of their direct control.

It's unfortunate but the OP is lucky she bought the flights as a single ticket rather than independently.

In defence of Aer Lingus, if it was the first leg of the journey that was changed, then this would have been their partner airline (presumably JetBlue) and not them, and so the change would have been out of their direct control.

Sure, its how they are dealing with it thats the issue
    It's unfortunate but the OP is lucky she bought the flights as a single ticket rather than independently.

Don't feel very lucky.... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Sure, its how they are dealing with it thats the issue

Don't feel very lucky.... lol

I dunno, they've offered you an earlier connection or a flight for the next day. If you accept that some things are out of their control, what more can they do?

If you're not going until October, have you tried looking at other airlines? I think American fly to Boston from Dublin.

Edit: no, it's Delta who fly to Boston

I dunno, they've offered you an earlier connection or a flight for the next day. If you accept that some things are out of their control, what more can they do?

They issued a faulty impossible itinerary, its not a normal reschedule. if i had just turned up missed the connection, Id prob be in a better place legally, that makes no sense.
    If you're not going until October, have you tried looking at other airlines? I think American fly to Boston from Dublin.

Edit: no, it's Delta who fly to Boston

my RTN is October, I'm going in September, other flights are going to cost me more again I've looked into them

Advertisement