Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

galaxy note 8 launches next week

• 14-08-2017 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Just got an email from Samsung to say the next galaxy will be launched on the 23rd. The image looks like the galaxy s8 but with what looks like a stylus. And the slogan "do bigger things"

So Looks like the note 8 launches next week, anyone interested?

Comments

There's been quite a few leaks. 6.3" screen, more squared shape that S8+, dual camera. I'd be interested, but I'm assuming the price will be insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Samson1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Basil3 wrote: »
    There's been quite a few leaks. 6.3" screen, more squared shape that S8+, dual camera. I'd be interested, but I'm assuming the price will be insane.

It's expected to be a grand. That, plus the fact that it's basically a bigger S8+ with a pen (and I didn't like the new form factor when I had an S8 for a week) means I think I'll skip this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have the Note 5 almost 2 years now (so time for an upgrade :D ), but I don't think I'd go for the Note 8. Aside from the premium feel/technology/etc. I find I rarely use the pen on it at all any more.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I have the Note 5 almost 2 years now (so time for an upgrade :D ), but I don't think I'd go for the Note 8. Aside from the premium feel/technology/etc. I find I rarely use the pen on it at all any more.

I had the Note 1-4 and the main appeal for me was the bigger screen and premium hardware, but the pen was never more than an novelty for me - but since the S6 Edge+, S7 Edge etc are just as big now and the tech has plateaued , there's no real incentive to get the newest version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I had the Note 1-4 and the main appeal for me was the bigger screen and premium hardware, but the pen was never more than an novelty for me - but since the S6 Edge+, S7 Edge etc are just as big now and the tech has plateaued , there's no real incentive to get the newest version.

This.

I've been using the S6edge + now since September 2015, and I'm not really incentivised to replace it yet.

It still works perfectly and pretty much does everything the newer ones does too.

Samsung should stop releasing new phones year on year just because, and focus on decent and actual technological upgrades instead.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    This.

I've been using the S6edge + now since September 2015, and I'm not really incentivised to replace it yet.

It still works perfectly and pretty much does everything the newer ones does too.

Samsung should stop releasing new phones year on year just because, and focus on decent and actual technological upgrades instead.

Don't think that would work unless everyone else stops releasing annually.

Also, let's not forget that the last Note released here was 3 years ago. I'm sure a lot of people have been waiting a long time for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Maybe keep an eye on the upcoming lg v30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    This.

Yea, I have the S6E+ and S7E and have been alternating between them for a while as I can't decide which I prefer. The S7E feels better in the hand and seems more refined (naturally, being an evolution of the previous version), but I do prefer the bigger 5.7" of the earlier model.

What would be the "best of the rest" in that segment if not going for the S8/N8? Doesn't have to be brand new either.. Nexus 6P still viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

jacksie66 wrote: »
    That's what I'm looking forward to. Had a v10 and a v20. Awesome phones especially if you listen to alot of music.

Same here looking forward for the V30, been using the G6 and G5 the wide angle camera is so good on both, i dont think i would use much the zoom out of the Note.

hopefully LG will have one version with all specs and hopefully wont be silly priced

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

£869 for the sim free on samsung website now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

A massive anti climax. Everything was leaked and no surprise held back for the even.
    It's basically an S8 + with an S Pen.

Definitely going to hold on for the LG V30.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

The only thing i like more than the s8 is the screen shape. It doesn't look stretched. I'v been waiting for this since i gave back my Note 7. Think i might wait to see the Pixel before i decide.

A massive anti climax. Everything was leaked and no surprise held back for the even.
    It's basically an S8 + with an S Pen.

Definitely going to hold on for the LG V30.

When was the last time you had a surprise on a device release?

that is a nice looking phone but over 900 euro is a lot of money, the S8 can be got for 550, wonder how much will be lg v30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

People kinda grasping at things to complain about. No surprises. No disappointments. Well i might have gone for Orchid Grey if it were an option, but Gold will do. Yeah, i'm probably in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Fairly ugly phone from the back in my opinion, the camera array/ fingerprint section doesn't look nice on any of the colours.

• Advertisement

ChopShop wrote: »
    People kinda grasping at things to complain about. No surprises. No disappointments. Well i might have gone for Orchid Grey if it were an option, but Gold will do. Yeah, i'm probably in.

I am with you ChopShop - I'm in too.

Seems like professional complainers. Beautiful screen, superb camera, Bixby, increased S-Pen functionality (luv the lock-screen lists / notes), Dex Station to connect to big screen. What is there not to like ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

So on vodafone.ie it is €999.99 with no mention of any accessories and on the samsung uk website it is £869 which is less than €1,000 but with the d ex docking station - doesn't seem fair

duffysfarm wrote: »
    So on vodafone.ie it is €999.99 with no mention of any accessories and on the samsung uk website it is £869 which is less than €1,000 but with the d ex docking station - doesn't seem fair

And €950 with 3

http://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/samsung-galaxy-note-8/?src=p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

It really is a shame that Samsung don't seem interested in improving the speaker situation. Why they can't have stereo speakers is beyond me, I am not too hopeful that the S9 would have this feature either :(

This phone wouldn't be for me as it's too big but I do like the more squared look!

Vahevala wrote: »
    It really is a shame that Samsung don't seem interested in improving the speaker situation. Why they can't have stereo speakers is beyond me, I am not too hopeful that the S9 would have this feature either :(

This phone wouldn't be for me as it's too big but I do like the more squared look!

They probably don't view it as a 'situation'. It's not a make or break for people, device manufacturers know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Samson1 wrote: »
    I am with you ChopShop - I'm in too.

Seems like professional complainers.

Amateur complainers with flimsy comparisons.
    But I had best behave myself rather than call anyone in particular out for their whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Anyone know if the Samsung stores have any pre order deals on? Out of the country at the mo and don't see anything online...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I really don't understand how Samsung can justify the price on this handset when you look at where the market is going, and I really question why any smartphone would need 6GB of RAM.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I really don't understand how Samsung can justify the price on this handset when you look at where the market is going, and I really question why any smartphone would need 6GB of RAM.

So you're not buying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

How are Samsung these days when it comes to software updates? Do they tend to provide updates to the latest Android version for say a period of two years after launch?

Thanks

How are Samsung these days when it comes to software updates? Do they tend to provide updates to the latest Android version for say a period of two years after launch?

Thanks

Yes. I assume the note comes with nougat, and it will get Oreo and the android P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Basil3 wrote: »
    So you're not buying?

No, but just because it's not for me as oppose to anything to do with this particular iteration of the Note line. I think maybe the significant of this brand has passed. People loved it at first for the size, but nowadays there's lots of Note alternatives. There's nothing exceptional about it anymore. It's a brilliant phone and I'm really glad to see Samsung go down the dual-lens route as I'm a big fan of the things dual lens can do.

Vodafone site:-
    "Samsung Galaxy Note8
    Pre-order today and receive a free Samsung DeX docking station.
    Do bigger things. .

Price has now changed on Vodafone - sim-free now €959.99 (or Switch your number to Vodafone and get €40 off this phone! ). So €919.99.
    http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/samsung-galaxy-note-8-pay-as-you-go-midnight-black

Either way, Vodafone bill-Pay seems better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thanks

Samsung seem particularly good at this - my 2 year old Note 5 is still regularly getting updates.

Not if I could only update the battery...

Still so undecided about this. Last year, I would have been all over the Note 7. Maybe it's that my U11 is still pretty new, maybe it's the price, I dunno.

For me, the only downsides of the Note are the FPS location and the battery size. I can understand why they're a bit conservative on the battery front, but will have to wait and see what the battery life tests come out with.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I would love one but just couldn't afford it, I really wanted the Note 7 and ended up with the S7 edge which I'm still using now

same here, very difficult to justify 999 on the phone.
    currently using the g5, passed the g6 to my other half with the intention of getting new phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I've had the Galaxy Note since it first launched through each iteration until the Note 4. I got laughed out the door at work when I first turned up with the Note 1 when everyone else had puny 3.5" iPhone 4's. Never went for the Note 5 due to non removable battery or the 7 for obvious reasons. I still have the 4 with a dock that charges the phone and spare battery at the same time (I have 3 batteries on the go)

The price of this yoke is putting me off the most followed by battery although the quick charge tech in phones now does negate that somewhat. TBH at €800 I'd probably be in but for now I'm holding off until Feb when I'm due an upgrade and the price will have dropped off a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I wanted the note 6 - but VF never sold it, so I got the S6 Edge +. Tis grand!

Then I wanted the note 7....ahem!

Im on VF Red Connect €60 pm, so I've pre-ordered the Maple Gold Note 8 at €399.99 over 24 months. Online store order confirmed. At least I get the VAT back!!

They have upped the allowance from 7GB to 15GB!

I'm all excited :D but They say it wont be available until mid September :(

And this cover looks good https://www.tech21.com/en_eu/evo-check-galaxy-note8-clear-white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

pfurey101 wrote: »
    I wanted the note 6 - but VF never sold it, so I got the S6 Edge +. Tis grand!

Then I wanted the note 7....ahem!

Im on VF Red Connect €60 pm, so I've pre-ordered the Maple Gold Note 8 at €399.99 over 24 months. Online store order confirmed. At least I get the VAT back!!

They have upped the allowance from 7GB to 15GB!

I'm all excited :D but They say it wont be available until mid September :(

And this cover looks good https://www.tech21.com/en_eu/evo-check-galaxy-note8-clear-white

You'd have done very well to get your hands on a Note 6

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

€850 to pre order the note 8 with the dex device in Switzerland in case anyone is passing through. See link below

https://www.microspot.ch/de/telefon-wearables-navigation/mobiltelefon-zubehör/mobiltelefone--C411000/samsung-galaxy-note8-64-gb--P0001400653

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if that goes to samsung UK you can bet your arse I'll attempt making up a fake receipt and trading in my old falling to bits iphone 5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

pfurey101 wrote: »

Otterbox do a clear one for 40 euro on their site, I read an article they are doing full range but nothing on their store, amazon or mobilefun yet. Don't want to end up buying 2. Always go with defender. Bulletproof (not literally). Order phone from VF with upgrade anytime, hopefully won't end up like Note 7 debacle.

Just a little over a week until it arrives !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

pre here and got an email back to say that there is high demand and delivery may be delayed!

pre here and got an email back to say that there is high demand and delivery may be delayed!

Hope not - have pre-ordered in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Samson1 wrote: »
    Hope not - have pre-ordered in store.

Did you pre order in a Vodafone store? Still getting dex?

I asked on eir live chat if I could order instore and still get the dex, they said yes. When I went into my local store they said they can have a phone for me on release but they have no way to prebook so I can't get the dex promotion.

Wanted to keep business local as I know the lads there.

Did you pre order in a Vodafone store? Still getting dex?

I asked on eir live chat if I could order instore and still get the dex, they said yes. When I went into my local store they said they can have a phone for me on release but they have no way to prebook so I can't get the dex promotion.

Wanted to keep business local as I know the lads there.

I didn't ask that question when I ordered in-store with Vodafone. But on reading the terms & conditions on the Samsung site for claiming the dex, it seems if you can submit some evidence to them online that you pre-ordered that you can get the free Dex.

Hope so anyway !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement