Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

galaxy note 8 launches next week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

None in my local eir shop this morning :(

OREGATO wrote: »
    Can I ask all you guys that preordered - if you guys did it via Pay as you go or Bill Pay and with what network? Was anyone able to get one on Pay as you go with Vodafone?

I preordered yesterday PAYG with 3. Hasn't shipped yet, but have been told everything is fine with my order and they're being shipped in order.

I mainly went with 3 because it's €50 cheaper than Vodafone, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

my order is down as delivered. will be home in an hour to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

duffysfarm wrote: »
    got 2 texts from nightline this morning to say they would be making delivery! dont know wether to keep it or sell it - waiting to see what it looks like

Let me know what you decide. I'd be interested if you were thinking of selling it.

just back from home and have it! had a go at setting it up and while not difficult, it seemed harder than my last samsung. lot bigger in size and left it at home for now.
    was going to sell it but cant claim the dex if i do!

just back from home and have it! had a go at setting it up and while not difficult, it seemed harder than my last samsung. lot bigger in size and left it at home for now.

Was reading the dex claiming instructions. You have to wait 30 days from your preorder and claim within the next 30 after that or something.

Just got my dispatch email from 3. Hopefully they do Saturday delivery.

you should try the link that some one has above to trace nightline deliveries - i did and it showed me when they expected to deliver it and the actual time they did
    Basil3 wrote: »
    Was reading the dex claiming instructions. You have to wait 30 days from your preorder and claim within the next 30 after that or something.

Just got my dispatch email from 3. Hopefully they do Saturday delivery.

I'd say you would have no problem claiming the dex if you do decide to sell it. I think you just need the reciept and imei number, which you would still have.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Has anyone experience with this crowd 'Wondamobile'?Not able to post a link. Seems to be the cheapest SIM free deal i can find on the Note 8 and it has the benefit of being the Dual Sim Model. Works out about €950

Any input would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Picked one up today. Nice to be back using a note again.. my only 'slight' issue with it is how tall it is, it's a stretch to pull down the notification bar.. fair bit more than the S7 edge. Regarless I'm happy with it. Picked up the samsung protect case with the built in kick stand. Much nice than the previous otterbox cases I've used.

Wasn't bothered pre-ordering, way I see it there'll be a tonne of bran new dex for sale on ebay/adverts etc. in the coming weeks. If they had have offered the 360 camera or VR headset I'd have prob try to pre-order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Picked up one on 3 prepay in carphone warehouse. Can't wait to try it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

I got mine today on eir. Phone is not locked as using my meteor SIM in phone as eir didn't apply my billpay plan right so my new SIM won't be activate until at least Monday.

I got mine today on eir. Phone is not locked as using my meteor SIM in phone as eir didn't apply my billpay plan right so my new SIM won't be activate until at least Monday.

Are eir and meteor not the same? my meteor sims always worked in my eir locked phone.

unklerosco wrote: »
    Are eir and meteor not the same? my meteor sims always worked in my eir locked phone.

Well I suppose they are but there is no eir branding or anything on the phone so I assume it's SIM unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

OREGATO wrote: »
    Had a nightmare with Vodafone trying to pre order last night for collection.

Tried to pre order online, a error pops up on the website after I stick in my cc details. But then I noticed that my card was charged. 1 hour on the phone between Vodafone and the bank.

Tried with the wifes cc later on and finally thought I got it confirmed. She got the email confirmation and all. Wake up to a mail this morning saying that our order is cancelled, like wtf?!

Just an update. Finally got sorted in Vodafone Dundrum, rocked up and asked for the phone and no questions asked. I'm not sure what the story was with the Grafton Street store as they were adamant they couldn't sell me the phone on prepay.

Also got refunds processed on my accounts. Happy days.

How is everyone getting on with their phones? I'm really liking it. Its only a slight bit bigger than my note 4 and iPhone 7 Plus. Screen is really good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Samson1

Got sorted in Vodafone shop Dundrum also yesterday, I must state they were first class. The phone is marvellous, it's taking a bit to get used to it not being as wide as the Note 3, but is a big step up and is rapid!

Does anyone know how to move files - music / photos onto an SD card on the Note8 ??

Samson1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to move files - music / photos onto an SD card on the Note8 ??

If ur looking to move from the phone to the sd card use the My Files app.

How is everyone finding the battery life so far ? I thought I would get longer out of it but I suppose as it is new I'm playing around with it a good bit more than I would normally would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Mine landed in from iD on Friday. Picked up the Samsung kickstand case too. Love the phone. Not sure if there's much to set it apart from the S8 plus, but I wanted a note since last year - delighted with it!

The fingerprint positioning didn't make sense at all until I got the samsung case and it's like a landing strip for your finger.

How is everyone finding the battery life so far ? I thought I would get longer out of it but I suppose as it is new I'm playing around with it a good bit more than I would normally would.

Getting a day out of it easily. I turn the resolution down to it's lowest setting (I can barely tell the difference between the lowest and highest setting). I find that makes a difference.

Getting a day out of it easily. I turn the resolution down to it's lowest setting (I can barely tell the difference between the lowest and highest setting). I find that makes a difference.

I will give that a try thanks

If ur looking to move from the phone to the sd card use the My Files app.

Thanks Unklerosco, I found it after on google. I guess the trick is you have to hard press the file for the option to "Move" to jump up. All transferred now :)

Took 21 hours to go from a full charge down to 56%, and that's playing around with it a lot & setting it up. That seems like a day and a half should be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Got mine on Friday, moving up from Note 4. Some difference.

I was a little concerned about the battery on Saturday as I needed a top up charge to make it through the day but a heavy day's use yesterday and still had over 20% battery so I will put it down to setting up issues.

Early days but liking it so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Loving mine so far. Trying to apply for Dex but stuck at claim page. It is looking for post code but not taking anything I put in. Tried eircode, dublin code and made up numbers like 0001 etc. Any suggestions?

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Loving mine so far. Trying to apply for Dex but stuck at claim page. It is looking for post code but not taking anything I put in. Tried eircode, dublin code and made up numbers like 0001 etc. Any suggestions?

When did you preorder? They're pretty specific about the rules for claiming it. It has to be between 30 and 60 days of your preorder date. I preordered on the 14th, so I can't apply for the dex until the 14th of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Basil3 wrote:
    When did you preorder? They're pretty specific about the rules for claiming it. It has to be between 30 and 60 days of your preorder date. I preordered on the 14th, so I can't apply for the dex until the 14th of October.

I ordered on 24th of August so I am not eligible yet either. Ridiculous rule. Last year the vr headsets came in same pack as phone. None of this double jobbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is it to stop people selling on the phone, straight away if you do you don't get the dex

Finally had mine arrived today from 3. Locked to 3 as I feared, so will be switching back to them. Funny thing is that I would have still been in contract with them for another month or two if I hadn't been able to get out of my contract due to their price increase earlier in the year.

Overall, pretty impressed. I go through so many phones these days that the wow factor isn't there like it used to be.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Can you live with no signal? :pac:

It's fine for the 90% of my life spent in Dublin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

It's fine for the 90% of my life spent in Dublin :D

I lived 100% of my life in Dublin with 3 and omg the signal was the worst that I ever had. :eek: Much much better thankfully now that I am with Vodafone :D

Finding battery life quite decent. Currently 13 hours on battery, 3 hours sot, 50% left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Finally had mine arrived today from 3. Locked to 3 as I feared, so will be switching back to them. Funny thing is that I would have still been in contract with them for another month or two if I hadn't been able to get out of my contract due to their price increase earlier in the year.

Overall, pretty impressed. I go through so many phones these days that the wow factor isn't there like it used to be.

Had no real trouble getting mine unlocked from 3.

Pm, me if you want to be pointed in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Can someone confirm if it is true if you unlock the phone by any other method other then the network you locked in you void the warranty?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Vahevala wrote: »
    I lived 100% of my life in Dublin with 3 and omg the signal was the worst that I ever had. :eek: Much much better thankfully now that I am with Vodafone :D

I'm with Vodafone again at the moment but to be honest it's not all that much better outside of Dublin (I do a lot of mileage every week)

About the best thing I'd say for it is that you'll almost always get some sort of signal - which isn't the case with 3.

The price - value on VF is very poor though

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm with Vodafone again at the moment but to be honest it's not all that much better outside of Dublin (I do a lot of mileage every week)

About the best thing I'd say for it is that you'll almost always get some sort of signal - which isn't the case with 3.

The price - value on VF is very poor though

What pushed me away from Vodafone was their device selection. I had two phones is a row that weren't available on Vodafone - S6 Edge+ and HTC 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

to anyone who uses the note 8, have you been able to redeem the 100gb promotional one drive cloud storage?

• Advertisement

to anyone who uses the note 8, have you been able to redeem the 100gb promotional one drive cloud storage?

It's very confusing. I already have 100gb from previously, so I guess I can't get an extra 100gb. It doesn't say when my current 100gb expires though, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Got myself the note 8. really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Anyone with an Apple Watch wanna swap for a Samsung gear S3 Classic

Anyone gone through the process of claiming their Dex? I'm still not eligible for a couple of days.

Anyone gone through the process of claiming their Dex? I'm still not eligible for a couple of days.

Yes, I submitted claim 3 weeks ago. When I try to Track the claim on their site it still comes up:-

"Claim Status: Claim Received
    We have received your claim and we are currently reviewing it.
    We will contact you on the outcome of your claim via the email address you provided"

Just got validation of my Dex claim today. Will have it within 30 days, supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

I've submitted my claim over a week now and it's also still at "claim received".

I did a live chat with a samsung agent and by the Ts & Cs, you might have to wait for up to 30 days for them to do anything with the claim...

johng906 wrote: »
    I've submitted my claim over a week now and it's also still at "claim received".

I did a live chat with a samsung agent and by the Ts & Cs, you might have to wait for up to 30 days for them to do anything with the claim...

Yeah, I pre-ordered on September 14th so couldn't claim the Dex until October 15th or something. I got a confirmation text of my claim being received Monday, then approval Friday.

A workmate of mine put his claim in like a week after his pre-order and hasn't had his approved yet. I'm guessing the people who claim before you're meant to just get put on a pile that gets dealt with later.

Anyone waiting on claim approval for their dex just give them a ring.
    The number is on the site to ring. They will approve the claim pretty much right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I hope this Dex thing is worth it :)

I had forgotten I put in for it until I got my confirmation email.

Advertisement