Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

galaxy note 8 launches next week

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Samson1

Has anyone received the Dex on the promotion yet ??

Samson1 wrote: »
    Has anyone received the Dex on the promotion yet ??

One of my workmates got his last week. It arrived a few days after his shipping email. I still haven't got the shipping email yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

I submitted my claim when I received the phone 21st September and only got changed to validated 21st October and email to say that I should have it within 30 days

Basil3 wrote: »
    One of my workmates got his last week. It arrived a few days after his shipping email. I still haven't got the shipping email yet.

Thanks. Same here - still waiting on shipping mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Got mine and it looks great BUT I have TECH21 slimline cover and I can't get the N8 onto the charge point with the cover on. Maybe I'm doing something wrong although it does say SOME cases wont work, like flip cases etc.

If this is the case (!) then that's a load of crap for constant charging.

Maybe that's the plan............mirroring only?

..........or maybe it's a design flaw and that's why they gave out millions for free!

Oh well.........................

• Advertisement

Just got a shipping email for my dex, even though i received it last wed/thu

Just got a shipping email for my dex, even though i received it last wed/thu

Received my dex on Thursday - no shipping email yet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

How is everyone getting on with their Note 8's ?

What do you guys think of not having Action Memo ? Specially if you up graded from a Note 4 ?

Can't believe Samsung didn't keep the feature. I know the app is upgraded but Action Memo was great. Feels like a little bit of a down grade but other than that the phone is A1. Fast, bright and excellent camera.

Well worth the purchase.

Hope you're all enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

Where is that best place to buy this device sim free? I have bought devices from t deminsion in the past. Brand new is what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Quick question. I have a Vodafone Note 8, unlocked. I used a package disabler to get rid of a couple of Vodafone apps.

If I was to flash a German unlocked firmware for example, would that enable me to avoid Vodafone pushed updates and get them as if the device was unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Quick question. I have a Vodafone Note 8, unlocked. I used a package disabler to get rid of a couple of Vodafone apps.

If I was to flash a German unlocked firmware for example, would that enable me to avoid Vodafone pushed updates and get them as if the device was unlocked?

would depend on the german software id imagine. if its a german vodafone one its guna have the bloatware.

would depend on the german software id imagine. if its a german vodafone one its guna have the bloatware.

I'd just go for a non-branded version if I was doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I'd just go for a non-branded version if I was doing it.

You should be grand so.

You should be grand so.

Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

How's everyone Note holding up after a few months? Any slowing down? Do the speakers bother you?

Thinking of moving from the iPhone to the Note series.

How's everyone Note holding up after a few months? Any slowing down? Do the speakers bother you?

Mine is still going well, although I did drop it and dent the USB port a week or two ago. Have had it for about 6 months now, and I'm not looking at a new device yet, which is impressive for me!

Haven't noticed any major slowdown, and battery life still seems fine.

The speakers are a non-issue for me, even though I've had multiple devices with front facing speakers. It's just not that important to me.

Mine is still going well, although I did drop it and dent the USB port a week or two ago. Have had it for about 6 months now, and I'm not looking at a new device yet, which is impressive for me!

Haven't noticed any major slowdown, and battery life still seems fine.

The speakers are a non-issue for me, even though I've had multiple devices with front facing speakers. It's just not that important to me.

Cheers.

Yeah I don't think the speakers will really matter for me either. Just being nitpicky I suppose. I usually cast music from Spotify anyway and I'm sure the AKG earphones will be fine in the meantime.

Do you use the S-Pen much? It's a nice idea and I'd like to think I'll get use out of it...

Cheers.

Yeah I don't think the speakers will really matter for me either. Just being nitpicky I suppose. I usually cast music from Spotify anyway and I'm sure the AKG earphones will be fine in the meantime.

Do you use the S-Pen much? It's a nice idea and I'd like to think I'll get use out of it...

The headphones that come with it are rubbish, be warned. I've had loads of HTC's, which have better headphone audio in the first place, but their earbuds are also better. The AKG ones are extremely tinny, I definitely wouldn't pay money for them.

I use the S-Pen every so often, maybe a few times a week. I don't really use it for writing notes, but for stuff like smart select.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Got mine as a gift, set it up yesterday, beautiful phone... then notices that there were dead pixels in the middle of the screen. Back to Vodafone today. They refused to replace it and sent it for repair, expecting at least a 2 week wait. It's a lovely phone though, very fast.

That’s cool. I’d read they were good! I’ve a pair of Beats X that are OK if need be anyway.

• Advertisement

Came from an 8 Plus to it.

Battery is down a little from the iPhone on standby but it's selltled down nicely and can easily do a day. Speaker sounds similar enough to me, most downward facing ones aren't up to much anyway and can't compare to front facing ones.

At first I thought it was a little laggy but I just halved the animation speed and it made a huge difference.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-give-the-pixel-2s-squeeze-gesture-to-any-water-r-1823954836

Just tested this on my Note, and surprisingly it does work.

Was readying about the S8 Oreo update, so thought I'd check on my Note. Oreo update was ready, so have downloaded and just installing now.

Purchased through 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Was readying about the S8 Oreo update, so thought I'd check on my Note. Oreo update was ready, so have downloaded and just installing now.

Purchased through 3.

Still no sign of Oreo on mine

Got tired of waiting for my update. Flashed Oreo through Odin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Just started downloading Oreo on my Vodafone Note 8 - did a manual check and there it was. 1.2GB coming down now.

I'm sure should be there for anyone else on Vodafone. Glad I waited as I was going to get it down via ODIN over weekend.

Just started downloading Oreo on my Vodafone Note 8 - did a manual check and there it was. 1.2GB coming down now.

I'm sure should be there for anyone else on Vodafone. Glad I waited as I was going to get it down via ODIN over weekend.

Only if I had waited a couple days. How are you finding the update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

ldr wrote: »
    Only if I had waited a couple days. How are you finding the update?

Was bit sceptical at first.. I generally do a full wipe once I get a major Android update so that took a day or so on and off by time I had got all reconfigured and all tipping along. Lot of business and personal apps and email accounts etc to sort and tweak.

The battery was evaporating for day or so but has settled well now. It was gone to pot during last few weeks.

No major changes in Oreo that I can see so far. Few tweaks here and there that do differentiate but more happy that I have phone refreshed and is running slick again. Definitely like my Note 8 and the Note 9 would need to be offering a very strong proposition to get me to switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Well thinking of finally ditching my trusty Note 4 for a Note 8. I've owned the Note 1, 2 and 4 and at this point couldn't imagine owning a phone without a stylus. My Note 4 is definitely running more slowly than it used to and it got stuck in a reboot loop when I was running a hotspot from it the other day. The 8 seems to be going for about €650 or thereabouts, a little over what I paid for my Note 4. Has anybody made the jump from 4 to 8 and is it worth it? I'm not a huge phone person, but it's probably time for an upgrade after three and half years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

Darwin wrote: »
    Well thinking of finally ditching my trusty Note 4 for a Note 8. I've owned the Note 1, 2 and 4 and at this point couldn't imagine owning a phone without a stylus. My Note 4 is definitely running more slowly than it used to and it got stuck in a reboot loop when I was running a hotspot from it the other day. The 8 seems to be going for about €650 or thereabouts, a little over what I paid for my Note 4. Has anybody made the jump from 4 to 8 and is it worth it? I'm not a huge phone person, but it's probably time for an upgrade after three and half years!

Yes, it is worth it I paid full price with the dex, and I use the phone and both as my daily go-to. I haven't used my laptop since the new note arrived...

The Note 8 is a superb phone. I finally made the move from my trusty Note 4 and can't believe how much faster the 8 is.

I found a couple of dead pixels but Vodafone had it fixed within a week. The iris recognition is OK but not great if you're wearing glasses, and the fingerprint reader is in an awkward position, particularly if you are left handed. The most significant problem I have is that the 8 is so slippery, e.g. it will slide off a laptop tray.

I remapped the Bixby button using an app from the Play store and it's very handy.

Yes the glass back makes it a slippery customer. I bought a Dbrand skin for mine and problem solved. I agree the new processor gives quite a speed bump over the note 4 and the dual cameras give great photos (still learning how to use all the features)

Darwin wrote: »
    Yes the glass back makes it a slippery customer. I bought a Dbrand skin for mine and problem solved. I agree the new processor gives quite a speed bump over the note 4 and the dual cameras give great photos (still learning how to use all the features)

They look really good, did you buy from the Dbrand website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yeah I bought mine directly from dbrand. Fitting can be tricky as mentioned but they have fairly decent application tutorials on YouTube for each device they support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Anyone able to recommend a decent screen replace page in Dublin? 330 is the cheapest I can find, sending it to the UK to Samsung would be cheaper but would rather not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

For anyone with the Note 8 - just a heads up that the Android PIE upgrade is available now with Vodafone.

Downloading it at the moment. Update is supposed to enhance the battery life as well as upgrading to Samsungs One UI. Bixby button can also be reprogrammed too supposedly. Lift to wake feature so when you pick up the phone, the screen turns on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

OREGATO wrote: »
    For anyone with the Note 8 - just a heads up that the Android PIE upgrade is available now with Vodafone.

Cheers, did a manual update check and it's downloading now...

Advertisement