Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

bk wrote: »
    It could also be a case that now is the right time to start hiring the bulk of drivers. After all, it doesn't make sense to hire lots of drivers 6 months ahead of you actually starting driving. 3 to 4 months before sounds about right, for training, etc.

Apparently they don't mind now if you have up to 6 penalty points on your licence. They are desparate for staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Apparently they don't mind now if you have up to 6 penalty points on your licence. They are desparate for staff.

Cooooll

So all the 21/24 year old boy racers will be in with their car licences because they think it's a handy job, get a bus licence out of them and make a bollox of it

Good oul deco around the corner who drivers a suped up glanza (but has it insured under his grandmother as an unmodified starlet) will be driving you to and from work / shops etc in a bus ?

Good luck lad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Apparently they don't mind now if you have up to 6 penalty points on your licence.

Indeed.

https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/bus-driver/application-notes/
    Points to consider when making your application

You must have no more than six penalty points on your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Its a sad day for Dublin Bus.

I hope they resist privatization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

On Go Ahead web site, earn wages up to 32k
    DB have 6 year pay scale.
    Dont think it unreasonable to think Go Ahead will be similar
    So just a guess, start at 26k and go up 1k per year

Less than DB/BE and Aircoach?

I'd imagine go ahead will probably take on a lot of non-national drivers to keep costs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I'd imagine go ahead will probably take on a lot of non-national drivers to keep costs down.

That's exactly what will happen and I wouldn't be surprised if they were put up in housing with many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

It's better again

We have it confirmed, people on the dole long term are being sent to go ahead for jobs because they are providing training for them.

So Gazzer on the scratch will take a job with go ahead and go out and keep causing accidents so they sack him and go on the sick....

Or keep failing the test on purpose

It's better again

We have it confirmed, people on the dole long term are being sent to go ahead for jobs because they are providing training for them.

So Gazzer on the scratch will take a job with go ahead and go out and keep causing accidents so they sack him and go on the sick....

I crash all the time well not technically me it's just others tend to bounce off the bus.

It brings me back to the recession when people hated us drivers as we had a job and as these scrounging scum bags would say they would do the job for half what we on. The funny thing is they couldn't get anyone to do it for half.

Laugh when I think back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Huh? That'd be discrimination to target lower wages based on nationality, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Finally a company not beset by unionisation and the ridiculous overpayment to drivers like Dublin Bus / Bus Eireann / Irish Rail who take the absolute p1ss in terms of screwing the fare paying passengers.

Reasonable basic salary + plenty of opportunity for overtime.

I'll assume that they'll do heath checks on their drivers - so that they don't suffer the mandatory average 4 weeks of paid sick leave a year just like Dublin bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,245 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It's better again

Or maybe it will give someone a leg up, to improve their lot and get themselves a job. You know, what most normal people do.

For people who seem to care about DB and their own (NRBU & SIPTU lads), you sure love to hate those just a rung below you on the social ladder.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Finally a company not beset by unionisation and the ridiculous overpayment to drivers like Dublin Bus / Bus Eireann / Irish Rail who take the absolute p1ss in terms of screwing the fare paying passengers.

I'll assume that they'll do heath checks on their drivers - so that they don't suffer the mandatory average 4 weeks of paid sick leave a year just like Dublin bus?

You need to educate yourself a little better there.

The NTA has all the control.

The NTA control prices and route frequency.

If an extra bus is needed they need to approve.

This whole process will cost more in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

GoAhead will look after their shareholders, not you or I. The lower driver salaries will also have zero impact on your bus fare as it's NTA set. So more profit for shareholders.

Also entirely disagree with your overpayment remark. 40k seems reasonable for the shift patterns/ split shifts, level of responsibility, training. Everyone on a bus these days is a walking lawsuit. There's more on a driver's shoulders than you'd think.

And if you think drivers in GoAhead won't unionize and seek pay parity, you're having a laugh. Just look at transdev for God sake.

(Disclosure: I do not work for any CIE affiliated company, just an interested passenger)

It's better again

Are you talking about the JobsPlus scheme? GA are not eligible for the scheme.

Another baseless "fact".

Contrails wrote: »
    And if you think drivers in GoAhead won't unionize and seek pay parity, you're having a laugh. Just look at transdev for God sake.

GA may not even recognise unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

You need to educate yourself a little better there.

no, your completely wrong.

companies like transdev come in, create a lean operation that can operate the service without the management heavy, overly unionised workforce.

This cost saving is passed onto the taxpayer via a smaller subvention, and to a lesser extend the fare paying public by not needed inflation busting fare increases every year to cover spiralling costs.

In addition you are likely to get a service run for the convenience of the customer with targets published on quality of service provided etc.

companies like transdev come in, create a lean operation that can operate the service without the management heavy, overly unionised workforce.

This cost saving is passed onto the taxpayer via a smaller subvention, and to a lesser extend the fare paying public by not needed inflation busting fare increases every year to cover spiralling costs.

In addition you are likely to get a service run for the convenience of the customer with targets published on quality of service provided etc.

But they have huge management and likes of share holders and tram driver wages are huge.

They also are in a union.

These companies come in cut everything to the Bone and some and all it will do is create jobs which no one could live off as wages are so poor.

They are about profit nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

I think the announcement of the jobs today is to do with them being rebranded as go ahead ireland instead of going ahead dublin. This is to do with them operating the bus eireann routes in the next few months. They will struggle to get and keep drivers but only partly due to wages, every bus company is facing the same challenge even bus eireann has a high turn over rate. With building work booming again guys are going for big money working on sites etc but personally I'd rather tip away slow and steady in a secure job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I would have gone for it as I previously said before if it was starting 33/35k -45k more reasonable long term.

Anyone joing on 24k isn't there for the long haul IMO, short stop. Might save a bit but with constant retraining and how many hours lost on routes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

comments like this about “non-national” drivers are not welcome here.

— moderator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

go ahead are unionised in the uk i believe, and will likely be unionised here as well.
    there is no ridiculous over-payment in dublin bus or bus eireann or irish rail, and chances are go ahead will eventually be paying similar wages to bus eireann and dublin bus.

there are no overly unionised company in ireland now. companies like transdev are themselves unionised.

IMO that's a theoretical viewpoint only, as transdev have operated luas from the start and we have no other companies to compare it's operation to as the state companies operate different forms of transport and have never operated luas.
    for what it's worth though, the uk railway which is operated by private companies may be a better comparison between state and private operations, however it shows that your statements long term turn out not to be true.

yes it's called contractual obligations.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

GM228 wrote: »

Doesn't really matter whether they do or don't. Employees have a right to unionize and should they decide to take action in great enough numbers, they'll be fairly quick to get "recognised". I'm sure no senior manager wants to recognise unions but they often have to. Even the great Michael O'Leary is having to bow to some union pressure these days.

Personally I think it's great. In my field of work the union is a shadow of what it once was. Every year what is expected of us is rising to no end, and turnover is high, and wages have flatlined. It's beyond depressing. Maybe I should be a bus driver.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

if Ryanair have, everyone will.

Mass exoduses of staff because of working conditions and pay plus their own staff shortages, couldn't possibly happen to GA/NTA..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*deep inhale*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ITV2

that is not the case.

markodaly wrote: »
    Or maybe it will give someone a leg up, to improve their lot and get themselves a job. You know, what most normal people do.

For people who seem to care about DB and their own (NRBU & SIPTU lads), you sure love to hate those just a rung below you on the social ladder.

Well actually , only for Dublin bus and bus Eireann already done that I'd agree with you

But no

The social have already sent hundreds of claimants to Dublin bus since 2014 and more recently bus Eireann and speaking from experience this is exactly what already happened

People from the social were going to the interviews for the job and purposely messing them up. On the driving assesments they were purposely breaking mirrors .

One person crashed a van into a wall on exiting the depot just so he wouldnt get the job. He was boasting to the drivers in the job that he was on the dole full time and had no intention of working.

So sadly , as much as I'd like to see a decent worker get off the dole and make something of themselves, this isint the case.

As for the other poster asking about jobsplus. I'm not sure if it's under that or not

The general thing seems to be when these people go in to sign on at their monthly / bi monthly interview, they are being told to go apply and try get the job.

It's a race to bottom. Go-Ahead drivers will be paid less than DB/BE staff but by the sounds of things their entry requirements will be much lower as applicants can have up to 6 penalty points on their licence which is riddiculous for such a responsible job. No mention of Garda vetting for drivers either. They will attract good and bad drivers.

The good drivers will use GA as a stepping stone and get a job with DB or BE for better pay and conditions. The bad ones will cause accidents and get the sack so staff retention rates will be low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

go ahead are unionised in the uk i believe, and will likely be unionised here as well.
    there is no ridiculous over-payment in dublin bus or bus eireann or irish rail, and chances are go ahead will eventually be paying similar wages to bus eireann and dublin bus.

yes it's called contractual obligations.

You missed my point i am not anti union.

i am against the incumbent semi state organisations
    • where the overly powerful unions can used their power to hold up the training of new recruits,
    • where they can deliberately involve Bus Eireann/Irish Rail staff in dublin bus strikes to maximise disruption to customers.
    • where they can demand extra payments to drive longer trains
    • where they can refuse to implement rosters agreed in the labour court/ arbitration etc

i don't see a problem if new bus drivers are paid the going rate. my point was the organisations are leaner, have less overheads and are more customer oriented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

No mention of Garda vetting for drivers either. They will attract good and bad drivers.

Drivers will be subject to Garda vetting. From the application form:
    All employment is subject to satisfactory references, medical examination, Garda Siochána vetting, signing a
    contract of employment and a period of probation determined by the Company. Please note that as a condition of
    employment you will be required to sign a Training Indemnity Bond (should you not already hold a Bus licence) and a
    CPC Training Bond to cover ongoing periodic training.

• Advertisement

You missed my point i am not anti union.

i am against the incumbent semi state organisations
    • where the overly powerful unions can used their power to hold up the training of new recruits,
    • where they can deliberately involve Bus Eireann/Irish Rail staff in dublin bus strikes to maximise disruption to customers.
    • where they can demand extra payments to drive longer trains
    • where they can refuse to implement rosters agreed in the labour court/ arbitration etc

i don't see a problem if new bus drivers are paid the going rate. my point was the organisations are leaner, have less overheads and are more customer oriented.

The workers are just looking out for their own benefits ie. they want more money for various different things. At the end of the day who isn't, if your union could get you more money would you say thanks but no thanks. We all have our own interests at heart first no matter how generous you like to think you are.

The workers do it because they can if they want extra money and they think they can get it then they will look for it purely out of human nature. Everyone wants more money.

Garda vetting is taking months to clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

They are training their drivers today in this. Absolute joke of a company. I would ask any who thinks its completely inappropriate, to let the NTA know.
    BUSS1.jpg

BUSS2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

brokenarms wrote: »
    They are training their drivers today in this. Absolute joke of a company. I would ask any who thinks its completely inappropriate, to let the NTA know.
    BUSS1.jpg

BUSS2.jpg

Its awaiting repaint. Bus is perfectly fine and was recently handed over by db. Once the other bus comes back from repaint that will be used also.

BUSS1.jpg

BUSS2.jpg

What GT is that?

Fizzy Duck wrote: »
    Its awaiting repaint. Bus is perfectly fine and was recently handed over by db. Once the other bus comes back from repaint that will be used also.

It not perfectly fine by me. It looks like a wreck that DB would never put into service , even for learning.
    It can easily be identified as Dublin Bus . Just because the logo is no longer there, the branding colours are.
    What GT is that?

GT83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It not perfectly fine by me. It looks like a wreck that DB would never put into service , even for learning.
    It can easily be identified as Dublin Bus . Just because the logo is no longer there, the branding colours are.

It looks like a bus that's had bumps and scratches repaired in advance of a repaint. I don't really see the problem. If Dublin Bus didn't want Go-Ahead using their branding, they should have painted it white before handing it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BUSS1.jpg

BUSS2.jpg

Why would you notify the NTA about it. They have approved this process already.

Some of the GT's in Donnybrook were already being resprayed in advance for their switch to GA.

The GT's at Donnybrook for GA were all lined up for their respray and modification work in their shed before they went to their paint shop.

This information was only mentioned from another website only a few weeks ago.

I was under the impression that it was a legal requirement for a bus to have its owners name and address on the side, as well as weight and other info, like master cut off and emergency exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BUSS1.jpg
    BUSS2.jpg
    Sorry what’s the issue ?

• Advertisement

I don't know if you've seen the bus in full but it looks road worthy to me to be fair. It's just the paintwork that's messy as the DB branding on it has been removed as it's awaiting respray it looks like some kind white undercoat is about to be applied. Don't see any issues with any essential components or any safety issues with that bus but then again I haven't inspected the bus in full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Is 32k not a reasonable salary for driving a bus or am I missing something here :confused:

Go-Ahead should have bought up a few older second-hand buses to train up drivers on rather than use newish NTA owned GTs. Most operators including DB use old buses that are no longer fit for passenger service for driver training. Also are learner buses not fitted with dual control for the instructor?

Creative83 wrote: »
    Is 32k not a reasonable salary for driving a bus or am I missing something here :confused:

Drivers will receive up to 32k not a guaranteed 32k that's the maximum drivers will receive per year.

Creative83 wrote: »

Try live in Dublin on that

To answer your question no as it won't be 32k

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

Try live in Dublin on that

To answer your question no as it won't be 32k

How much then

moonship wrote: »
    How much then

Not clear but I'd give a guess and say about €28k

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bit late on reporting from the media I think considering GA announced recruitment some time ago.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0607/968783-go-ahead-ireland/

http://www.thejournal.ie/go-ahead-ireland-jobs-4057205-Jun2018/

I don't understand why some people are surprised about this recruitment plan. Go-Ahead had a plan for many months that they would need to hire 300 staff based on winning the contract but they since have won another contract that has a shorter lead time which involves hiring further staff.

It doesn't necessarily mean that they are having trouble recruiting, simply that they need to increase their recruiting efforts since another contract win has meant that they needed more staff than they initially projected.

Are there no staff in Dublin Bus with penalty points?
    It's better again

So what you're essentially saying is we should just resign ourselves to the fact that the long term unemployed should be written off and we should just accept they are going to collect their €200 every week and writing off any chance of getting them into the workplace?

I've worked with people who need help getting into the workplace and getting a fresh start and contrary to popular speculation, not all of them are lazy people who don't want to work. There are some of the long term unemployed who have many different situations that have led them to that situation.

I think helping them get a rung on the ladder and provide them with training they could not otherwise afford to help them into a job that they may well be very grateful for and therefore become a contributor via tax rather than someone we dish out 200 quid a week for the rest of their life is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just an update on Go Ahead's online web services.

They have updated their Twitter account to be renamed as Go Ahead Ireland. Their previous name Go Ahead Dublin on Twitter has been removed.

Their main website address has been swapped to goaheadireland.ie. GA still has their Go Ahead Dublin logo displayed on the website.

Their Head office addresses & email addresses are still displayed as Go Ahead Dublin.

There was a news report on the RTÉ 6.1 news there. It was done by Joe Mag Raollaigh.

• Advertisement

"devnull wrote: »
    Are there no staff in Dublin Bus with penalty points?

I'm sure there are but they have likely picked since they have started working with DB. DB require a full clean licence when applying for a job with them I think they may allow 1 or 2 but not 6.

Advertisement