Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You know, I actually like it. So horrid it's gone through vile and out the other side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭john boye

I actually think it might be saveable ish. It only needs a bit of yellow on the front, maybe from around the destination board upwards and have it come around onto the front top corner and then paint one of the stripes yellow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

devnull wrote: »
    I've heard from a very good source the yellow has now been signed off and will be going ahead no matter what, although I haven't heard anything concrete as to what the livery with the yellow would look like. The first time I saw any image of it was when it was posted on this thread! I'm just hoping there is indeed a second option as mentioned in the image as it can't be any worse.

As for the Go-Ahead logo, that was a change which was agreed to a little while back that operators can use their full logo rather than just their name - I have no issue with that at all.

I think the NTA came under pressure from disability groups about the use of dark blue, particularly at the front of the vehicle. Dublin Bus have spent a lot of time working with such groups over the years. Things like the yellow hand rails, day glo scrolls and braille on stops are all examples of how things have improved.

The design of the revised livery I saw looked better than the example posted here. There is more yelllow and it runs in the same direction/style as the green and blue stripes. I’m hoping that is the version 2 mentioned.

KD345 wrote: »
    I think the NTA came under pressure from disability groups about the use of dark blue, particularly at the front of the vehicle. Dublin Bus have spent a lot of time working with such groups over the years. Things like the yellow hand rails, day glo scrolls and braille on stops are all examples of how things have improved.

IF that's actually a valid thing why not just wrap the bus in high vis. Sure we're constantly being told it's the only way people can ever see cyclists etc
    Take it to the logical conclusion instead of messing about halfway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I certainly understand the points that are being made in relation to yellow being more visible, it certainly is, and I can understand the points being made by disabled groups, but if disabled groups was the utmost of this public service operators concerns rather than commercial interests, they could just hand the livery over to the NTA and be done with it. Have they offered this?

It's a bit rich if DB play the livery is bad because disabled people have trouble seeing it, when they themselves have a darker commercial livery that they clearly see no problem with. If they felt that strongly about dark front of vehicles and the impact on the disabled they wouldn't have any themselves. It just seems a conviennent stick to beat a livery with that they never wanted to adopt in the first place.
    The design of the revised livery I saw looked better than the example posted here. There is more yelllow and it runs in the same direction/style as the green and blue stripes. I’m hoping that is the version 2 mentioned.

To be fair I see there is merit in having some yellow on the vehicles, but if we are going to go to this half-way house so to speak between the DB and GA livery, the NTA must now enforce DB to paint their vehicles in such livery since they clearly have met them half way now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

That's is just awful...

It looks like someone in the paint shop ran out of paint or maybe they have a load of yellow left over! Maybe someone forgot to put the correct color over the yellow in photoshop and it could be a case of the below.

th?id=OIP.YtS8PCKQKTgOphhngl3FlQHaHa

Either change them or keep them yellow. Personally, the yellow is fine as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

TallGlass wrote: »
    Either change them or keep them yellow. Personally, the yellow is fine as it is.

DB wouldn't hand over their livery to the NTA that's why they had to come up with a new one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's not the worst livery I've ever seen (though it's bad), the NTA survey candidates are worse and Belfast's white and pink monstrosity is the worst.

Where DB blame comes into it is another thing. Next they'll be blamed for the vending machine in Ballymount not working. Clearly an underground NBRU plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I think it would look better if the yellow was just on the front of the bus. It would still be a bit jarring and ugly, but at least it would be a utilitarian sort of ugliness. If the yellow is there solely to serve a purpose (i.e. visibility), then attempting to integrate it with the rest of the livery isn't necessary.

dfx- wrote: »
    It's not the worst livery I've ever seen (though it's bad), the NTA survey candidates are worse and Belfast's white and pink monstrosity is the worst.

The Glider livery is pretty bad too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh merciful lord. I don't like that livery at all. I'm honestly laughed at this attempt as it looks absolutely horrible.

I definitely prefer the blue, teal & white a lot more now as it looks like a charm compared to this joke of an attempt.

But I would like to see option 2 of the livery to give another opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

How many buses have already been resprayed in the blue livery?
    They will have to be changed again!!
    Obviously wasting money is no problem to the N.T.A. what a ****ing joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Where DB blame comes into it is another thing. Next they'll be blamed for the vending machine in Ballymount not working. Clearly an underground NBRU plot.

Well said.

There appears to be a stream of consciousness within this thread,that sees a Bus Atha Cliath managerial hit squad,daubing yella paint over anything that moves in Ballymount Blue.

The reality,may be a bit more prosaic.

Bus Atha Cliath has stated it's position on Livery going forward.
    The Chairman of BAC's board laid this out before the Oireachtas Committee on Transport and the NTA,and moved on from that.

The decisions taken at the outset by the NTA,and now being revisited piecemeal,are totally within the remit of the NTA itself and nobody else.

By far and away the most relevant and somewhat disturbing point being made is how Bus Atha Cliath,since it's inception has had a very clear and comprehensive policy of consultation with virtually every Disability representative body in the State.

This consultation has been regular,and covers more than simply the design of the vehicle.

What has surprised and disappointed these representative bodies is how the NTA,having taken over the responsibility for Public Transport Provision,rather spectacularly failed to retain the close relationship with these representative groups.

It will,no doubt,take several FoI requests to learn the eventual cost of attempting to put this error of judgement to rights,but even the process of recoating the interior poles and grabrails will cost a significant additional sum.

Whether or not the NTA sees it's remit as the evisceration of Bus Atha Cliath,it might be better served by taking note of the elements of long-standing BAC policies which have quietly,but effectively worked,for the more "0ff-grid" groups in our society.

What is more concerning to me,is the fact that much of what the Authority is now abandoning is the rather basic ABC of service provision,quite what the policy will be for the XY & Z is another matter altogether ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Whatever we think of the livery however, I think one thing that we all agree on that spending such money on changing something that has been locked down ages ago is going to be an expensive lesson and we should not be at such a late stage before Go-Ahead starting where these things are not settled, at this stage serious questions are beginning to come up about the NTA's ability to deliver this project and the required level of integration and late U-Turns are not a good sign. This should have all been sorted long ago and it remains to be seen if the NTA are able to properly answer the various other questions about intergration matters and without some kind of last minute fudge.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    By far and away the most relevant and somewhat disturbing point being made is how Bus Atha Cliath,since it's inception has had a very clear and comprehensive policy of consultation with virtually every Disability representative body in the State.

This consultation has been regular,and covers more than simply the design of the vehicle.

What has surprised and disappointed these representative bodies is how the NTA,having taken over the responsibility for Public Transport Provision,rather spectacularly failed to retain the close relationship with these representative groups.

It will,no doubt,take several FoI requests to learn the eventual cost of attempting to put this error of judgement to rights,but even the process of recoating the interior poles and grabrails will cost a significant additional sum.

Whether or not the NTA sees it's remit as the evisceration of Bus Atha Cliath,it might be better served by taking note of the elements of long-standing BAC policies which have quietly,but effectively worked,for the more "0ff-grid" groups in our society.

Would this be the same Dublin Bus that has painted vehicles for it's Airlink service in a colour on the front of the bus that is much darker than the blue being used on the NTA livery and has held that livery for approx 3,500 days or 10 years, however you want to put it, without thinking about how that effects the disabled in our society?

Dublin Bus may well do a lot of good work with such groups and I don't doubt that at all, I've seen it first hand and they should be commended for that. However it's a bit rich if they come out and say non bright, darker colours are bad on the front of the bus, when they've painted vehicles in such colour themselves and saw no problem with it for the last 10 years themselves.

As I said before, Dublin Bus did not want this livery and whilst the impact on disabled people certainly is a factor, I do not believe that it is the only one at play here. It's also about image and brand protection as well. If not, I look forward to seeing the new bright fronted Airlink livery in the next few months. I won't hold my breath.

It'll be interesting to see what Bus Eireann does, since surely it should now be very very easy to get them to change from a front of virtually of majority white on the front, since being a sister company of Dublin Bus I'm sure that they would have view in relation to the front end needing to be bright for the kind of groups that we have talked about. They wouldn't say they have to keep the white would they? I mean, it isn't about brands is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

First thing which came to mind (as pointed out by Devnull) is DBs Airlink livery. It is darker than the GA blue livery, wonder if any groups made their concerns known to DB about it?

Contrasting handrails, destination boards etc are no thanks to DB or any working relationship with disability groups, they are a result of a legally mandated standard set by the EU, and before that under adopted UN ECE Regulations from 1958, the EU adopted them long before DB even existed.

How to you know the NTA has not involved various disability groups? My understanding is they have worked with and sought submissions from various groups for various projects and reports such as for example their Statement of Strategy.

Also the last major consultation between DB and the various disability groups was in 2005 when the Accessibility Guidelines Standard Series 2 was agreed, it was not just DB though, it was various disability groups, transport operators (state and private) and Government departments - the NTA did not exist at the time.

What is to say the grab rails need to be repainted?

They just need to contrast in comparison to what is adjacent to them, whilst the grey handrails in the new GA buses is poor IMO they do contrast with the dark blue seats and that is all that DB (and other operators and disability groups) ever agreed to - to have contrasting handrails, mind you I'm not so sure they contrast with the stairwells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nah devnull, this is anti Dublin Bus nonsense from you tbh. Bear in mind that the airlink service is the only regular predictable transport option to the airport that facilitates disabled people. Aircoach doesn't accommodate such passengers. A much simpler perspective here is that people will just recognise the Go Ahead buses for the services they are offering. There'll be no confusion as to what's happening, who the buses are, who's running them. That's a good thing for the end passenger. This is competition. Let's embrace it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nah devnull, this is anti Dublin Bus nonsense from you tbh. Bear in mind that the airlink service is the only regular predictable transport option to the airport that facilitates disabled people. Aircoach doesn't accommodate such passengers.

We were talking about the liveries of buses and the fact is that for the last 10 years or so, Dublin Bus has saw no problem to using a dark non bright front on a vehicle so it's a bit rich if they complain that dark liveries are bad when they are not practising what the preach.

Aircoach accommodates disabled passengers pretty much the same way as any coach operator does in relation to needing to having to book in advance, Bus Eireann have an almost identical policy in this regard, a coach is not a bus at the end of the day, it's different kind of vehicle.
    A much simpler perspective here is that people will just recognise the Go Ahead buses for the services they are offering. There'll be no confusion as to what's happening, who the buses are, who's running them. That's a good thing for the end passenger. This is competition. Let's embrace it.

And everybody wants uniformity and if Dublin Bus were so concerned with it they could hand over the livery and we'd all live happily ever after. Have you asked them why they have not done so? What did they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Any advantages of Go Ahead over DB for the commuter?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Don’t think so think the goal is for more players to come into the market and tender against each other for routes and hopefully drive down cost to the tax payer not for them to run the same route against each other so won’t be a price war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Nothing to get excited about so. Was hoping for more frequency Cheers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There are a lot more buses coming online so there will be increased frequency. That won't be limited to just GoAhead routes though.

There is going to be an increase of over 30% of the frequency on the routes that transfer from DB to Go-Ahead Ireland with no loss of vehicles and drivers for Dublin Bus.

This will then allow the freed up buses and drivers to be used to deploy into additional capacity and routes with Dublin Bus which will see increased frequencies on them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One is there uniform makes them look like pilots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

New livery looks well. Hope it sticks..

Should save money respraying the fleet as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

New livery looks well. Hope it sticks..

Should save money respraying the fleet as well

Well?? I can understand defending it as an unimportant element, or because of disability reasons, but in what world does that look "well"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There is going to be an increase of over 30% of the frequency on the routes that transfer from DB to Go-Ahead Ireland with no loss of vehicles and drivers for Dublin Bus.

This will then allow the freed up buses and drivers to be used to deploy into additional capacity and routes with Dublin Bus which will see increased frequencies on them also.

if you trust the NTA to choreograph all that together...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

If it doesn’t work, them and C&T can just blame DB or unions as always..

As I’ve said before; DB do something wrong, they get blamed, IR, they get blamed, yet when it’s the prodigal son of the NTA, it must be Dublin Bus or O’Learys fault.

I’d love to work for the NTA, there is literally nothing they can mess up that they’ll actually be blamed on or held accountable by some quarters.

The jury is very much out on that at the moment, but it's too early to say either way for sure.
    Kh1993 wrote: »
    If it doesn’t work, them and C&T can just blame DB or unions as always..

As I’ve said before; DB do something wrong, they get blamed, IR, they get blamed, yet when it’s the prodigal son of the NTA, it must be Dublin Bus or O’Learys fault.

I’d love to work for the NTA, there is literally nothing they can mess up that they’ll actually be blamed on or held accountable by some quarters.

As I said above, serious questions are going to come up in relation to the NTA's ability to deliver the project and everything that comes with it whilst also making sure that there is a proper level of integration to make things as seamless as possible for the likes of you and me who depend on public transport services to get us to work, see family, university, school or on leisure trips.

I'm very much of the opinion that the launch of the 139 route was not great and what I've seen in recent weeks has not been that encouraging. But there's still another couple of weeks until the 175 launch and another month on top of that until the routes start moving to Go-Ahead, so there is still time to deal with some of those issues, but I have to admit that the signs are not the most promising at present.

My opinion of the NTA certainly hasn't been enhanced in recent weeks, put it that way.

I get the impression that the lobby groups are not really concerned about people with disabilities but rather dislike change and want to keep things the same as much as possible either that or they have direct ties to DB or the CIE group and want to protect the brand.

I don't really get the whole visability argument if they wanted to make the buses more visible they could have put a dash of yellow or orange around the grill. Although I do think there should be some TFI or GAI branding at the front of the bus.

Look at how many other cities around the world don't have bright yellow buses and are still used by people with disabilities. It's a bloody big double decker bus it's hard to miss. I don't get the argument about painting the front of trains yellow either and I believe it's something that's being done away with in the UK as the recently delivered Crossrail/Elizabeth Line trains are not painted yellow at the front they will be the first trains to run on the UK rail network without yellow front powered by electricity or diesel. Again plenty of counties don't have trains with yellow fronts.

Yellow bus poles are not only getting the blue sticker on top circle but they are replacing the timetable/info boards for longer ones exactly the same style.

So it seems these fancy silver poles aren't being fitted anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

The bus stops being used on Mount Anville Road are an improvement on what seems to be happening elsewhere. Maybe benefiting from the fact that there have never been bus stops here before?

Tarabuses wrote: »
    The bus stops being used on Mount Anville Road are an improvement on what seems to be happening elsewhere. Maybe benefiting from the fact that there have never been bus stops here before?

eGoDq9

Any pic?

GM228 wrote: »

They just need to contrast in comparison to what is adjacent to them, whilst the grey handrails in the new GA buses is poor IMO they do contrast with the dark blue seats and that is all that DB (and other operators and disability groups) ever agreed to - to have contrasting handrails, mind you I'm not so sure they contrast with the stairwells.

Any vehicles that have been delivered with silver handrails are going to have them changed to yellow. Also the handles above the seats are also going to have to be changed to yellow and there is now also concern in general about the interior colour scheme overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Any pic?

Well it's in line with the TFI design guidelines, so that is good.

However if they're still going to go with branding DB buses as DB and Go-Ahead buses as Go-Ahead on the stops rather than just not mentioning the operators at all, like in London and other cities and just listing the numbers, then that isn't ideal.

I wonder if they will be took down to be replaced with DB style yellow poles.

Any vehicles that have been delivered with silver handrails are going to have them changed to yellow. Also the handles above the seats are also going to have to be changed to yellow and there is now also concern in general about the interior colour scheme overall.

What a shambles.

invalid link...

I knew there was going to be issues with the handrails. I can't understand why they weren't delivered with yellow handrails in the first place. Who made the decision on the interior the NTA or GAI?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I knew there was going to be issues with the handrails. I can't understand why they weren't delivered with yellow handrails in the first place. Who made the decision on the interior the NTA or GAI?

The issues with the colours were originally not thought to be a problem, but there was a meeting which took place with the National Disability Authority in the middle of July about the livery and interior of the vehicles, where concerns were raised to the NTA who went away and considered the points that were presented.

The issues with the colours were originally not thought to be a problem, but there was a meeting which took place with the National Disability Authority in the middle of July about the livery and interior of the vehicles, where concerns were raised to the NTA who went away and considered the points that were presented.

Seems completely riddiculous that they did that after they decided on the livery and interiors

• Advertisement

Link invalid could someone repost?

Link invalid could someone repost?

See attached

Seems completely riddiculous that they did that after they decided on the livery and interiors

I think that the NTA did not expect there to be the issues in relation to it which there have been. I reckon in June/July, the NDA were possibly prompted by something or someone to extensively lobby the NTA for a change.

I think that the NTA did not expect there to be the issues in relation to it which there have been. I reckon in June/July, the NDA were possibly prompted by something or someone to extensively lobby the NTA for a change.

I think it was rather naive of them not to consider it. I'm annoyed because it's a complete waste of money I should hope this riddiculous change is not coming out of the bus connects pot.

Even the luas has yellow poles.

GM228 wrote: »
    First thing which came to mind (as pointed out by Devnull) is DBs Airlink livery. It is darker than the GA blue livery, wonder if any groups made their concerns known to DB about it?

Contrasting handrails, destination boards etc are no thanks to DB or any working relationship with disability groups, they are a result of a legally mandated standard set by the EU, and before that under adopted UN ECE Regulations from 1958, the EU adopted them long before DB even existed.

How to you know the NTA has not involved various disability groups? My understanding is they have worked with and sought submissions from various groups for various projects and reports such as for example their Statement of Strategy.

Also the last major consultation between DB and the various disability groups was in 2005 when the Accessibility Guidelines Standard Series 2 was agreed, it was not just DB though, it was various disability groups, transport operators (state and private) and Government departments - the NTA did not exist at the time.

As has been pointed out by other posters,the small extent of the Airlink fleet in comparison to the BAC service fleet does have a relevance here.

However,although a current BAC employee,I am in no way a spokesperson for the company,and my opinions remain purely personal.

In relation to the involvement with Disabled Representative Groups,the reality of BAC's involvement with these goes back to the inception of the company and further back into the CIE (DCS) days.

The reality of BAC's involvement & consultation,with both Disabled representatives AND disabled individuals,is at a far deeper and ingrained level than merely Head Office CEO level,PR based schtick.

The daily involvement of Area Managers,Chief Inspectors,and Operations Support and Platform staff regarding accessibility,at all levels far exceeds the NTA's current involvement,yet,for whatever reason,some posters appear to feel compelled to portray this negatively.

Is it your suggestion,for example,that BAC's last major interaction with Disabled Groups was 13 years ago ?

Are you suggesting that the Company is acting in a manner which ignores or fails to prioritize Disabled access to it's services ?

Put at it's simplest,BAC's involvement with Disability,is at a far more ingrained level across the greater organization,a point which has been raised during recent consultations with the stakeholders.

You may indeed suggest that a simple contrast between the new NTA Dark Grey interior panels and Light Grey stanchions,is in fact an improvement upon that between the pre-existing Yellow and Grey,however I am quite confident that the majority of those with vision deficiencies will disagree with you.

As has been noted earlier in thread,the light grey poles are indeed having to be recovered to the pre-existing standard,at the expense of the NTA,which is prompting the question as to why the Authority felt the need to depart from long standing and effective design in the first place.

The fact that it was'nt broken,was not reason enough to go and break it themselves.

It may come as a surprise to some,but with a total staff of 3,000+,there are now many BAC employees,who now have family members entering employment with Go-Ahead Ireland,with incredibly nobody being thrown out of the family home or otherwise blackballed as a result.

Again,from a personal perspective,I see very little threat from Go-Ahead Ireland's arrival.
    In regard the Go-Ahead arrival in a positive light,as it will allow for real-time comparison and benchmarking,after a fashion,which has not been possible to date.
    Equally,I see the BusConnects proposal as significantly improving Bus Service provision in Dublin,with significant benefits for both Busworkers AND Passengers ,but it is contingent upon the Busconnects principle being maintained,and robustly pursued by the NTA.
    Currently I have no sense that this robustness is there in the desired quantities.

I would be a very strong proponent of the "London Model" of Bus Service Provision,but I am acutely aware that,even at senior executive level,the NTA's understanding of this term,is somewhat less than is required to deliver on the promises of a london style service pattern.

Were,for example,Anne Graham to announce a €6,000,000 programme to install Busdriver specific network of Sanitary Facilities across main Bus Routes I would robustly support her,in the same manner as London Mayor Saddiq Khan is being applauded by Busworker representatives there.

The future is bright-The future is BUS. ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Do you think it might be possible that the NDA,as a statutory body itself,may have been prompted by,the level and extent of representations it was recieving,from many local & national Disability Representative Groups ?

Is it your contention that the NDA is somehow incapable of acting independently, and without the "extensive lobbying" which you reckon prompted their action ?

Could the situation actually be that the NDA itself,were compelled to react to another statutory body facilitating a significant lowering of standards,which had been developed over an extended period and which worked very well.

As has been pointed out by other posters,the small extent of the Airlink fleet in comparison to the BAC service fleet does have a relevance here.

Dublin Airport is one of the biggest transport destinations in the state. There have been approx 200,000,000 airport passengers that could potentially use Dublin Bus services to travel to the airport in the last 10 years. Do you not feel that these patrons, of which a fair number may have vision deficiencies should have the chance to avail of the benefits of a livery that assists them like their friends and family who also travel with Dublin Bus? I believe that accessibility considerations by any company should apply to all passengers.
    The daily involvement of Area Managers,Chief Inspectors,and Operations Support and Platform staff regarding accessibility,at all levels far exceeds the NTA's current involvement,yet,for whatever reason,some posters appear to feel compelled to portray this negatively.

You claim that Dublin Bus have daily involvement in these issues, but those who have been involved daily for the last 3,000 days of operating airlink services haven't been able to identify an accessibility issue with their own service in a darker livery in over 9 years of operating it, but have seemingly been able to identify an issue with a brighter livery that they haven't even seen operate in revenue service by another company?
    I would be a very strong proponent of the "London Model" of Bus Service Provision,but I am acutely aware that,even at senior executive level,the NTA's understanding of this term,is somewhat less than is required to deliver on the promises of a london style service pattern.

As said up-thread, I remain to be convinced they will be able to do it as well, the recent actions and what I have seen from them hasn't filled me with the feeling that they will get this right off the bat, rather the opposite. But then again Dublin is not London and who knows what obstacles and pressures the NTA may face from various stakeholders which make it hard to get everyone to agree. I wish they could click their fingers and it would all work out like London, but it'd be exceptionally naive to think it's as simple as that.

However if they're still going to go with branding DB buses as DB and Go-Ahead buses as Go-Ahead on the stops rather than just not mentioning the operators at all, like in London and other cities and just listing the numbers, then that isn't ideal.

Agreed it should say 'Dublin City Services' however I don't it's a huge issue on that particular stop as it's the only service stopping so there's only one column for GAI services and not two one for GAI and one for DB. The 175 has now been added to the number listings on some of it's stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That 175 bus stop pole on Deerpark Road looks so much better than the crap example on the Dublin Bus poles in Firhouse.

I heard the 17 bus stop shelter in UCD has gotten new signage on the top of it. But I'm not sure if it is the same one as the Firhouse example.

What I don't understand; why does the NTA agree by spend taxpayers hard earned money by releasing two conflicting bus stop designs around Dublin in which one type of stop is meant to be replaced in it's entirety & one type bus stop that is meant to be it's new & permanent replacement. I really am amazed at what they are doing with their own rollout of bus infrastructure improvements. The good thing is that the NTA purchase new replacement buses on behalf of the state for Dublin Bus when some of the older fleet went to GAI. But the bus stop rollout & the repaint of the livery in Dublin in particular has been a joke so far on their part in the eyes of the public. Just on the livery designs with the inclusion of the yellow; this is one thing that I do not get at all. Why release a livery with a massive big media launch from GAI's depot in Ballymount & try make adjustments afterwards behind the scenes to cater for those with disabilities?

Why did the NTA just delay the rollout of the livery until it's completely finished & revealed to the public to save vital amounts of taxpayers money in the process. The NTA at this point do not have any clear accountability with regard to how they spend other's peoples money in good faith through for which it is solely given through the wishes of our government. If they were sensible with this idea of trying to rollout this plan of improving the bus service with no mistakes. Their reputation will be at a greater improved level of accountability through the eyes of the public & the government at large.

But the NTA are not trying hard enough to be good beacons with this virtue when dealing with other transport matters like the numerous redesigns for the DART Underground project which has going countless hoops of starting or not starting properly over the years from it's official announcement. Just think about that for a second. Possibly hundreds of millions of euro spent on trying to get some clear consensus on their many different versions of that project all within a specific period of hard earned time & they still can't go about in the right way. It makes the public frustrated & fed up with it's lack of progress when it will somehow get onto it's final possibility for an actual start date for building the bloody thing in the first place.

I wonder what happens now with their full news of where their CPO's are going for BusConnects. I hope the public don't get eventually fed up with the NTA's proposals about the infrastructure later in the year because I would like to see this become a game changer to make the bus service become much better for Dublin's commuters. But how the NTA are spending money by somehow trying to keep up with the joneses while compared with other countries is not a really good & frugal way of keeping accountability by making things go a little bit clearer. They should save their wares much more by not spending money for temporary vanity projects they clearly do not have because it will bite them back somewhere in unpleasant ways if they are not careful with the eyes of the public on their backs.

Advertisement