Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

xper wrote: »
    Yeah, saw one of these in person earlier today. Good layout. Only criticism I would have is the the overemphasis on differentiating the operators - TFI should be doing everything they can to make sure customers understand that the Go-Ahead and Dublin Bus routes are all part of a combined city service. What happens at stops also used by Bus Eireann, Aircoach and other private operators?

Agreed hopefully with the implementation of Bus Connects, services will be marked on bus stops simply as 'Urban Services' for DB and GAI services and 'Regional Services' in the case of BE or Go-Aheads BE tendered routes. Also hopefully with Bus Connects there will a centralised NTA social media page for all bus, commuter rail, DART and Luas services and centralised NTA/TFI TFL style iBus system.

Will my tax saver leap card work on the GA operated routes?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Will my tax saver leap card work on the GA operated routes?
    Thanks for proving my point- this question shouldn't even be occurring to any customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭john boye

superg wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself regarding the teal stripe. It really doesn't fit with the rest of the livery now. It should be yellow too and the yellow on the side should flow in the same direction as the other two stripes, so from the top front corner sweeping down to the bottom just behind the front wheel. Then it'd be fine IMO.

Agree completely. I'm not saying it would fix the livery but it'd surely make it look a bit better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Yeah, saw one of these in person earlier today. Good layout. Only criticism I would have is the the overemphasis on differentiating the operators - TFI should be doing everything they can to make sure customers understand that the Go-Ahead and Dublin Bus routes are all part of a combined city service.

Well I can't imagine that will be an easy sell to DB, considering how important they see their brand. The TFI branding with the operators brands as sub brands, like they are in the new timetable displays and stops and NTA livery, is a good interim measure and a staging post towards full integration I'd say.

Realistically from the start of the 175, Dublin Bus should be using the TFI Journey Planner rather than their own, since this is my big fears about fragmentation, that the DB site won't acknowledge the GA services exist. Since GA and LUAS are using the multi-mode, all operator planner, Dublin Bus should too.
    Thanks for proving my point- this question shouldn't even be occurring to any customer.

We also need to see tickets being rebranded as well, since it sounds a little confusing that Dublin Bus tickets are accepted on Go-Ahead services. Really the best interim measure here would be to brand them as TFI ramblers for example, and but also feature something to denote they are valid on both GA and DB services, phasing it out over time.

• Advertisement

To be fair the NTA/TFI have been very clear in regards to the fact that the fares will be the same, Leap will be accepted and DB Taxsaver will be accepted.

I presume the NTA conceding a loss by allowing people use DB Taxsaver tickets be used on GAI services as the revenue for those tickets is going to DB and not the NTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Fairly strange one: Brand new DB Yellow stops gone into the ground along the Kilbarrack end of the 17a route, which is due to swap to GA in a couple of months. Waste of resources or something I don't know?

Something you don't know: in Ireland the public sector will always do things in the dumbest , least thought out, most inefficient, wasteful and mind fumblingly stupid way imaginable. Before LEAP came in, even though they knew LEAP was coming, they all brought out their own smart cards separate to it that didn't work with each other.

As to Dublin bus's "brand" obsession, as I said before if they wanna act like a commercial entity and faff on about their "branding" tell them to operate without a PSO, in the mean time to STFU and do what they are told.

devnull wrote: »
    Well I can't imagine that will be an easy sell to DB, considering how important they see their brand. The TFI branding with the operators brands as sub brands, like they are in the new timetable displays and stops and NTA livery, is a good interim measure and a staging post towards full integration I'd say.

Realistically from the start of the 175, Dublin Bus should be using the TFI Journey Planner rather than their own, since this is my big fears about fragmentation, that the DB site won't acknowledge the GA services exist. Since GA and LUAS are using the multi-mode, all operator planner, Dublin Bus should too.

I don't know what the deal is with real time but can DB or filter out GAI services from their real time which is being feed to them by the NTA. I know BE services do not appear on the DB app however they are a different type of service to DB and GA urban services so perhaps the NTA could block DB from filtering out GAI services from their app.

The DB journey planner is rubbish as it is and doesn't even give accurate information about their own services let alone the services of other operators. I would hope nobody relies on it for bus information. They do give info about the DART and Luas which is also inaccurate so perhaps they may do with Go-Ahead services also.
    We also need to see tickets being rebranded as well, since it sounds a little confusing that Dublin Bus tickets are accepted on Go-Ahead services. Really the best interim measure here would be to brand them as TFI ramblers for example, and but also feature something to denote they are valid on both GA and DB services, phasing it out over time.

I agree with your sentiment but I don't think "TFI rambler" would work either as that would imply these tickets are also valid on IE and Luas which they are not but are also under the TFI banner.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I don't know what the deal is with real time but can DB or filter out GAI services from their real time which is being feed to them by the NTA. I know BE services do not appear on the DB app however they are a different type of service to DB and GA urban services so perhaps the NTA could block DB from filtering out GAI services from their app.

I believe buses feed into a central system that then feeds data out to sources, such as the street signs, the various apps and websites. I would say that DB would only get a feed of their own services and they probably do some post processing to put the features like delay expected and this is why the DB app can show short terminations and the other places can't - the raw data doesn't say this, but they probably override it before sending it via their app. DB certainly don't seem to be using the raw feed, as I've often seen the DB app and Street signs disagree, but RTI and Street signs and RTPI.ie almost always agree.

Anyway I don't think we should be promoting DB listing GAI services on their own app as anything other than an interim measure. We should be moving away from operator apps and replacing them with a single TFI app. If you remove the DB app completely everyone will then use Real Time Ireland and the National Journey Planner App and the problem is gone without having to do anything overnight.
    I agree with your sentiment but I don't think "TFI rambler" would work either as that would imply these tickets are also valid on IE and Luas which they are not which are also under the TFI banner.

Come to think of it I agree. You can't really use "TFI Dublin Bus Rambler" because that makes it feels like it's only accepted on Dublin Bus. If you use "TFI Bus Rambler" it makes it seem like it's valid outside Dublin. I think Rambler might even be trademarked, but I'm not sure, so they'll have to use a different name anyway. They could just go for something generic rather than branded though like a 30 day Dublin city bus pass saying it's valid on any DB or TFI branded service, but then you have things like the 139 where it's not and TFI branded BE services.

Not sure how they will fix this one!

I think in the long run there may need to separate TFI sub brands based on regions to prevent confusion between for PSO services in various different regions. Examples would be.

-TFI Dublin (for DB/GAI, Luas, Metro hopefully and DART)

-TFI Leinster (for BE/GAI Dublin commuter routes, Dublin Commuter rail and other services such as the 139 and M+A coaches)

This system could also be extended to the rest of the country e.g. TFI Cork City, TFI Munster etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

^ you do realise what the "I" in TFI stands for, right?

MJohnston wrote: »
    ^ you do realise what the "I" in TFI stands for, right?

Yes but having a website for services all over the country may be confusing for someone only wanting to make to make a journey in Dublin. It would be a sub brand system similar to before CIE was divided in three there was Dublin City Services.

It'd just be something else to hear a brand called "Transport for Ireland Dublin", not that I would ever suggest that Irish authorities wouldn't do it.

It'd just be something else to hear a brand called "Transport for Ireland Dublin", not that I would ever suggest that Irish authorities wouldn't do it.

Well you could have also said that 'CIE Dublin City Services' was also contradicting considering what the E stood for. On another note should TFI not also be branded IDE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Right, I was bored. Using MS Paint, I've put the stripes in the opposite direction and replaced the teal one with the TFI shade of green, which doesn't clash as much with the yellow. Ignore the newer-style front end.

460627.png

Yeah, that's much better. What about with the green stripe just being yellow, or a second white stripe?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

When I signed up for tax saver last year through work, it was called a 'Dublin Bus annual ticket' or something to that effect, so I was just wondering if it also would cover the GA routes.

I also am curious as how renewing it in December will work. My current route is being scrapped and replaced by a feeder to the Luas. Will I now have to apply for a more expensive bus and Luas tax saver ticket to cover me for 2019?

When I signed up for tax saver last year through work, it was called a 'Dublin Bus annual ticket' or something to that effect, so I was just wondering if it also would cover the GA routes.

I also am curious as how renewing it in December will work. My current route is being scrapped and replaced by a feeder to the Luas. Will I now have to apply for a more expensive bus and Luas tax saver ticket to cover me for 2019?

You mean under BusConnects? I would actually imagine TaxSaver tickets will have to be somewhat reorganised, as the cross-mode flat rate will change the fare structure hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

You mean under BusConnects? I would actually imagine TaxSaver tickets will have to be somewhat reorganised, as the cross-mode flat rate will change the fare structure hugely.

Yep, I mean under busconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/customer-notice-about-new-bus-service-175-from-citywest-to-ucd/

It looks like two liveries will remain in situ.

What’s different?

Go-Ahead Ireland vehicles and Dublin Bus vehicles will operate with their own colour scheme, although both will be similar at the front which is yellow in both cases (see picture above).

Inside the bus, the seats will be a different colour (see picture below), although poles are yellow in both Go-Ahead Ireland vehicles and Dublin Bus vehicles.

Bus stop poles and information carousels will look different depending on the operator (see picture below). Over the coming months as Go Ahead Ireland begins operation of their routes, customers will notice new bus stops being installed. This will be done in advance of the switch over and they will have stages, routes and timetables clearly marked on them.

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »

That's very much not a good thing for the customer if Dublin Bus will not be adapting the new integrated livery or using the same uniform stops. I wonder if that is because of resistance from their side more than anything else, because the NTA have a contractual right to force them to adapt the livery in theory.

Don't think this is going to serve consumers well, you need everything to act as one system really and it seems that whilst GA are going to be promoting the TFI brand and also LUAS are promoting integration to a degree, Dublin Bus may well not be, which ultimately means serving the public transport users interests in relation to a properly integrated system, are not really going to be met.

Also can't help feeling that this might accelerate any plans to tender more out at the end of the day, since if the NTA feel that they cannot meet their objectives with the current structure of the operators, they may well look for a way to change the structure to one where they can.

It would appear the yellow front about as much for visual impairment as it is a meet in the middle livery.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    It would appear the yellow front about as much for visual impairment as it is a meet in the middle livery.

Not really meeting in the middle though if Dublin Bus are still going to stick to their old livery and not adapt to the new, integrated one, even after a yellow front has been added to it as a compromise and they are also continuing to plough their own furrow with relation to apps, timetables and journey planning etc which is going to create confusion in the short term.

I see why Dublin Bus might resist the new livery, even if I don't agree with them, but I can't think that will do anything else other than just encourage them to tender more out at a later date. My concern is how the interests of the public in having an integrated system doesn't seem to be high on the agenda of companies who were set up to serve the public before all else.

Can you imagine if in London where most operators of public transport services had their own app, their own website, their own journey planner that doesn't include other operators under the TFL banner? Planning a journey would be a complete nightmare as would getting information when you'd have to use a number of different apps and it'd still be difficult.

Really parties, be that private or public, who are running taxpayer contracts services need to think about the public first and foremost. If they want to concentrate on brands, private interests, then there is a commercial licensing route for that, they can't have the security of tens of millions of public funds for services, whilst also having the freedom of being a fully commercial enterprise.

They could gone for a livery with yellow at the front the rest blue and then DB and GAI could make their own slight customisation IE the bus would be 80% in TFI livery and 20% in DB/GAI livery but would still look the same at the front. Similar to how London buses used to be where operators could make their own slight adjustments to the red.

They could gone for a livery with yellow at the front the rest blue and then DB and GAI could make their own slight customisation IE the bus would be 80% in TFI livery and 20% in DB/GAI livery but would still look the same at the front. Similar to how London buses used to be where operators could make their own slight adjustments to the red.

The idea of allowing the operator to have their logo rather than just a name in normal font was a concession that the NTA made from the original proposals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

devnull wrote: »
    That's very much not a good thing for the customer if Dublin Bus will not be adapting the new integrated livery or using the same uniform stops. I wonder if that is because of resistance from their side more than anything else, because the NTA have a contractual right to force them to adapt the livery in theory.

I'm surprised at this, I thought it was already confirmed that Dublin Bus would be adapting to the new integrated livery?

This whole integrated bus services concept seems to be slowly unraveling. It certainly doesn't seem as ambitious as it once was if they can't even agree on uniform livery and bus stops. It doesn't bode well for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

This whole integrated bus services concept seems to be slowly unraveling. It certainly doesn't seem as ambitious as it once was if they can't even agree on uniform livery and bus stops. It doesn't bode well for the future.

When the NTA experiences resistance they seem to take an approach of waiting to let it break and then fix it. Luas Cross City and traffic management is a perfect example.

They'll allow people to become confused about multiple operators and then fix it later. I assume at some point the entire bus network is going to be on a tender model with fares going to the NTA, at that point you would think consistent branding would be a requirement even if Dublin Bus are the only ones applying to run it.

I reckon Yer Da sells Avon should send his render into the NTA. It isn't bad at all and should keep the public happy.

It appears the first Go-Ahead DB routes won't transfer over until the 18th October rather than the original date of the 7th October according to GA on Twitter.

• Advertisement

It appears the first Go-Ahead DB routes won't transfer over until the 18th October rather than the original date of the 7th October according to GA on Twitter.

I think by October 18, they meant October 2018
    https://twitter.com/GoAheadIreland/status/1037998978078568449

I'm surprised at this, I thought it was already confirmed that Dublin Bus would be adapting to the new integrated livery?

The NTA seem to still want it or so they say they will be doing it in time probably next year. Even if DB don't want their buses repainted the NTA can and should force it on them. Although the new livery would only be applied to the SGs and GTs. VTs, AV/Xs an EVs would likely remain in DB livery as they were bought under different circumstances however they will all be gone in the next 2 to 3 years.

No sign of the 175 on the TFI real time app also new stops on Taney Road have not yet been added to the app

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Paddysboys

No sign of the 175 on the TFI real time app also new stops on Taney Road have not yet been added to the app

https://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en#std3_ac_date

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Paddysboys

Paddysboys wrote: »
    Put in kingswood avenue--- ucd

It's on the journey planner but not real time time app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Why does it show route 175 destination Sandymount when I search a bus in the Tallaght direction from Goatstown?

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Why does it show route 175 destination Sandymount when I search a bus in the Tallaght direction from Goatstown?

Where are you searching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Tarabuses wrote: »

You sure it's not Ballymount you're seeing?

No, apologies, looks like you're right:

Cb1R03c.png

At a guess, someone has input the data incorrectly. Wonder if that's showing up on RTPI screens too though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There seems to be a mistake here on the TFI website with a route called the 338 which starts in October.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/go-ahead-ireland/

Is that route meant to be called the 238 which goes around Blanchardstown?

EDIT:

Route information on the 175 is now up on the TFI Journey Planner app on Windows 10. Although when I put in a query for it from UCD to Citywest; it has a label over it saying "Stop 2007 Take 15:13 175 Sandymount" while appearing as an overlap over it's termini stop at UCD. Does that appear on the website by any chance?

There seems to be a mistake here on the TFI website with a route called the 338 which starts in October.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/go-ahead-ireland/

Is that route meant to be called the 238 which goes around Blanchardstown?

It's either that or the 33B from Swords to Portrane. I'm not sure what the story is with that as the 238 wasn't originally meant to transfer until the 20th January and the 33b was meant to transfer on the 18th Novemeber. So I'm not if someone working for the NTA was given the wrong information or if dates of when the routes have been brought forward and the batch that was meant to transfer in October (45a, 59, 63, 75, 111, 184 and 185) has been pushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Just seen one lad driving down Ballinteer with no internal lights on. Passengers sitting on board in darkness. 😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,908 ✭✭✭✭L1011

liger wrote: »
    Just seen one lad driving down Ballinteer with no internal lights on. Passengers sitting on board in darkness. ��

Ex Irish Rail Docklands driver I wonder? Extremely frequent that they run in darkness, with Croke Park and Cross Guns on the route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Just seen one lad driving down Ballinteer with no internal lights on. Passengers sitting on board in darkness. 😱

That's a saving of 20 odd quid on the Ghost Bus price. Suggest you post in bargain alerts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Just seen one lad driving down Ballinteer with no internal lights on. Passengers sitting on board in darkness. ��

The shape of things to come from a company that has consistently operated the worst rail service in the UK.

Take a bow NTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

magentis wrote: »
    The shape of things to come from a company that has consistently operated the worst rail service in the UK.

Take a bow NTA.

That's a bit OTT and like waiting for mistakes to pounce on. First day on the job with the nerves and trying to remember everything that comes with it leaves anyone prone to an error or two.

These guys are only human, and I know I've done some stupid things on my first day in a job.

Bus drivers are made by experience, they don't just arrive in a box.

Take a bow NTA.

So now we're judging a whole company and its staff on one anecdotal example on the first day, which may have been the result of some kind of fault rather than an active choice by the driver or company?

If it is happening on a regular basis then I'd see your point, otherwise it's just having a pop for having a pops sake, because both Dublin Bus and Irish Rail have been known to operate services without lights from time to time and many of their own services have had teething problems when they begun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Take a bow NTA.

presumably you are refering to southern fail?
    to be fair the tory government engineered that whole mess so they could have a go at the unions, the anti-worker party that they are.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Take a bow NTA.

That makes about as much sense as saying that because Irish Rail is crap, Dublin Bus is too, for no reason other than the fact that they are subsidiaries of the same holding company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement