Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Qrt wrote: »
    I wouldn’t call it pointless considering scutting on the 27 hasn’t been an issue since they changed them.

But I've seen people sitting on the new bumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is it true Go Ahead have lost nearly 50 drivers in the last few months?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I don't know the exact figure, but it wouldn't be far off that. Could even be more, I don't know. All I know is that it's growing and growing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I don't know the exact figure, but it wouldn't be far off that. Could even be more, I don't know. All I know is that it's growing and growing...

But more relevant to the discussion is have they managed to replace the amount of drivers they've lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

As long as they pay less than their counterpart they'll lose drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Its not just about the pay rates, its how drivers are treated. Drivers on Bray routes have to use a chipper beside the station for breaks. Drivers are left in DL after shifts because they cannot cover routes let alone have a driver for a ferry car for staff. When a driver needs time off they dont accom holiday requests and there is no recognition of experience or talent within the industry. One depot supervisior got the job as the person could not follow the 63 route from DL to Kilternan, the result of this was instant promotion. This was after only passing the test with GA and 1 days failed driving experience and suddenly given a position of authority in the depot.Alot of experienced drivers were well p###ed off over that. And if you happen to take a sick day be prepared for a grilling as to why. All in all a shambles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Drivers aren't going to stick around. I know one who's pursuing Dublin bus. His main gripes are the shifts, they cant get enough drivers in, so it pushes work towards those around and the organisation within the depots isn't any good.

I expect a lot will just use it as an entry level spot, start in go ahead and move onto another operator after a bit of time there.

soundman45 wrote: »
    Its not just about the pay rates, its how drivers are treated. Drivers on Bray routes have to use a chipper beside the station for breaks. Drivers are left in DL after shifts because they cannot cover routes let alone have a driver for a ferry car for staff. When a driver needs time off they dont accom holiday requests and there is no recognition of experience or talent within the industry. One depot supervisior got the job as the person could not follow the 63 route from DL to Kilternan, the result of this was instant promotion. This was after only passing the test with GA and 1 days failed driving experience and suddenly given a position of authority in the depot.Alot of experienced drivers were well p###ed off over that. And if you happen to take a sick day be prepared for a grilling as to why. All in all a shambles.

Sounds like a right sh!t show alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

I heard it was more 60/to 80 it would be more but for DB strict medical they are still training drivers and they seem to be able to cover a majority of shifts but slots of people being asked to do over time and some ferry duty's in car given to office staff

• Advertisement

soundman45 wrote: »

The only parts of that I can confirm as being true are the lack of canteen facilities in Bray and getting a bollocking for taking sick days. The Bray situation particularly bad if a 184/185 driver has an early break because that chipper (which isn't great anyway) doesn't open until around noon. If the driver is lucky enough to have the same bus for the day, they at least have somewhere to eat their lunch. If not, then tough. The company (belatedly) sorted out a perfect canteen for Dun Laoghaire drivers, so there's no excuse for not having one in Bray.

The sick day grilling is mainly to discourage drivers from 'using their sick days' - it constitutes an informal chat with a manager, who ticks a few boxes and asks bullsh*t HR questions like "is there anything we can do to help". It's annoying, but not a big deal.

It's extremely rare that there isn't a car or bus to drop a driver back to the garage. It happened to me once in over six months, and as soon as I rang them they sent a car out to me.

I've requested days off and swapped shifts with others on numerous occasions without a problem.

Nobody has ever been promoted (not that a supervisor's role is much of a promotion anyway - I've no idea why anyone would want the hassle) as a result of "not knowing the 63 route" - or any other route, for that matter. That's just ludicrous.

What's the situation like in other locations I see why they would provide a crew room in DL as 5 routes break there. Do they provide facilities for drivers anywhere else like Blackrock for 17 and 114 drivers, the Airport for 102 and 33a drivers or Blanch for the local routes there and are there some routes that go back to Ballymount to break. Has nobody contacted SIPTU about the issue of drivers breaks?

Afaik all DB routes either break in the garage or the city centre apart from a few exceptions like Bray for 84 and some 145 drivers and Skerries for 33 drivers. It wouldn't surprise me if DB is looking do away with the outstation in Bray as I believe all 155s are based in Donnybrook which surprises me assuming it's true. So perhaps GAI could buy it off them if they are looking to sell it and base the 45a, 184 and 185 there.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What's the situation like in other locations I see why they would provide a crew room in DL as 5 routes break there. Do they provide facilities for drivers anywhere like Blackrock for 17 and 114 drivers, the Airport for 102 and 33a drivers or Blanch for the local routes there and are there some routes that go back to Ballymount to break. Has nobody contacted SIPTU about the issue of drivers breaks?

Afaik all DB routes either break in the garage or the city centre apart from a few exceptions like Bray for 84 and some 145 drivers and Skerries for 33 drivers. It wouldn't surprise me if DB is looking do away with the outstation in Bray as I believe all 155s are based in Donnybrook which surprises me assuming it's true. So perhaps GAI could buy it off them if they are looking to sell it and base the 45a, 184 and 185 there.

Irish rail owns it I believe or so was told

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's a bit like being Brexit Secretary in the UK, we're all eventually going to get a go, every man woman and child in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd imagine Go Ahead assumed they could just treat staff here like they treat them in the UK with minimal issues.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd imagine Go Ahead assumed they could just treat staff here like they treat them in the UK with minimal issues.

They don't treat their staff here badly. I know a lot of people who quit in the last few months, and none of them had any real issue with the job itself.

• Advertisement

What way are the shift patterns and do you have much notice of what your due to work etc? When I was at DB it was week of earlys, week of lates, half week of lates and half week of earlys leading to a weekend off. As a junior driver though your "early" week would often have a couple of bogey dutys with a long break in the middle so not a full week of proper earlys. We had every 3rd and 5th weekend off. Only a days notice what duty you were on too.

That was along time ago so not sure about how it is at DB these days.

.G. wrote: »
    What way are the shift patterns and do you have much notice of what your due to work etc? When I was at DB it was week of earlys, week of lates, half week of lates and half week of earlys leading to a weekend off. As a junior driver though your "early" week would often have a couple of bogey dutys with a long break in the middle so not a full week of proper earlys. We had every 3rd and 5th weekend off. Only a days notice what duty you were on too.

That was along time ago so not sure about how it is at DB these days.

24 hour notice by text, shifts no change so is very difficult and to plan anything don't bother unless you know you're off.

Go-Ahead have released this video on vimeo about their first year in service for those who may be interested.

https://vimeo.com/331205733

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

24 hour notice by text, shifts no change so is very difficult and to plan anything don't bother unless you know you're off.

48 Hrs is the current text notice time.

One of the absolute requirements for ANY Operator,recruiting Bus Drivers for urban stage-carriage operations is to ensure that it is made abundently clear to applicants that the Job involves significant and often disruptive shift patterns.

Often,we are asked to accept that individual operators have conspired to deliberately frustrate peoples right to family-friendly lifestyles,however as with many such situations,one can also find situations where shift working allows flexibility in different areas of the same life.

Bus work will NEVER afford stable,constant predictable working arrangements,and people need to be very clear on that when considering a career path in that area.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Their video is stating that 150 vehicles will become available in the fleet by the end of the year.

Does that include some of the buses available for the old Bus Eireann routes or is it only for the Dublin routes in Ballymount?

• Advertisement

Their video is stating that 150 vehicles will become available in the fleet by the end of the year.

Does that include some of the buses available for the old Bus Eireann routes or is it only for the Dublin routes in Ballymount?

That would include the BE ones I'd imagine. It mentions they have 119 buses in service but I thought they were originally due 125 and they were short of buses so have 6 of their original batch still not not entered service and they have also received 4 of 8 additional SGs orginally due for DB with 4 still due to enter service.

Here's a sample of roster this is Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Here we go wrote: »
    Here's a sample of roster this is Bray

That's the 5 day main remember there is still a 4 day one for bray witch I wish I was on..

ATTENTION ENNISKERRY, LITTLE BRAY & PALERMO.

TIME TO BE HEARD

Since Go Ahead took over the 185 bus route we have seen a significant decline in service. This decline is most noticeable with regard to reliability and safety and has been particularly dreadful over the last few weeks. Some days we have seen 25% of our buses not showing up ,leaving passengers stranded for up to 3 hours!

Buses have also been seen damaging cars in Palermo and along the Dargle road! not to mention driving dangerously, all of which raises very serious health and safety concerns!

We at KEC have written to GO Ahead, the NTA and the Minister for Transport to express our concerns , without satisfaction! We have also contacted our local public representatives and expressed our plight on East Coast radio!

Now we are calling on all of you, along with your family and friends, to join us in a peaceful demonstration to ensure that we are heard in our demand for a dependable and safe bus service to be reinstated with immediate effect.

Where : Enniskerry Square

When: This Thursday, 2nd May

Time: 19.00

For those coming from Palermo and Little Bray the 18.30 bus arrives into the village at 18.54.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

For those coming from Palermo and Little Bray the 18.30 bus arrives into the village at 18.54.

Wouldn't bet on it, tbh.

Wouldn't bet on it, tbh.

Exactly. If the bus shows up. It clearly hasnt been going ahead the last month.

Terry Pratchet

Exactly. If the bus shows up. It clearly hasnt been going ahead the last month.
    Hopefully I'm not driving it

ax586 wrote: »
    Hopefully I'm not driving it

Ah itd be good fun really. A bunch of old ladies on their way to protest.

Terry Pratchet

That's the 5 day main remember there is still a 4 day one for bray witch I wish I was on..

Yes there is a 4 day for Bray and other 4 day or split Rotas or 175 only rota but majority of people are on some thing like that 12 weekends a year off and working 6 days before two days of or 2 single days off in 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

TIME TO BE HEARD

Since Go Ahead took over the 185 bus route we have seen a significant decline in service. This decline is most noticeable with regard to reliability and safety and has been particularly dreadful over the last few weeks. Some days we have seen 25% of our buses not showing up ,leaving passengers stranded for up to 3 hours!

Buses have also been seen damaging cars in Palermo and along the Dargle road! not to mention driving dangerously, all of which raises very serious health and safety concerns!

We at KEC have written to GO Ahead, the NTA and the Minister for Transport to express our concerns , without satisfaction! We have also contacted our local public representatives and expressed our plight on East Coast radio!

Now we are calling on all of you, along with your family and friends, to join us in a peaceful demonstration to ensure that we are heard in our demand for a dependable and safe bus service to be reinstated with immediate effect.

Where : Enniskerry Square

When: This Thursday, 2nd May

Time: 19.00

Are they really that bad? I was under the impression that service has improved under go ahead. I know my own route 76 has become a lot less crowded and I haven’t had any busses not turn up as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Are they really that bad? I was under the impression that service has improved under go ahead. I know my own route 76 has become a lot less crowded and I haven’t had any busses not turn up as of yet.

similar complaints in Greystones about the 184, buses not turning up etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

Apparently the 17 has improved no end according to two regulars I know. Been meaning to give it a go someday myself.

john boye wrote: »
    Apparently the 17 has improved no end according to two regulars I know. Been meaning to give it a go someday myself.

Of course it has they increased frequency which db couldn't as nta tells them what they can or can't do.

All services were increased as soon as they took over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Of course it has they increased frequency which db couldn't as nta tells them what they can or can't do.

The issues with the 17 were not frequency only, they are much the same issues being claimed off the 184 or 185. Not turning up, sometimes upto two or three in a row would not arrive. I live where the 184 and 185 pass close by, but I don't use them and cannot pass comment other than I see them. I know from my neighbours, that they claim it is the same as it always was with them.

I seen the complaints on the Bray Open Forum but somehow, it was just a photo of a rear ended car parked far too close to a corner, but noone videoed it, one person knows someone who seen it and claims the driver drove off etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

Wasn't trying to knock DB mate. But Yes and they've clearly increased running time too which has helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

TIME TO BE HEARD

Anyone else get the feeling this demonstration and complaining might just result in the random Palermo shuttle busses being removed to provide a better service to Enniskerry instead? That and/or Dargle will just get double yellows along it's entire length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

CramCycle wrote: »
    The issues with the 17 were not frequency only, they are much the same issues being claimed off the 184 or 185. Not turning up, sometimes upto two or three in a row would not arrive. I live where the 184 and 185 pass close by, but I don't use them and cannot pass comment other than I see them. I know from my neighbours, that they claim it is the same as it always was with them.

I seen the complaints on the Bray Open Forum but somehow, it was just a photo of a rear ended car parked far too close to a corner, but noone videoed it, one person knows someone who seen it and claims the driver drove off etc.

Sounds very he said she said, I thought it odd that the protest managers cars being damaged etc as I feel like if that was happening on an large scale that it would have been picked up by a local paper fairly sharpish and been posted about on here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sounds very he said she said, I thought it odd that the protest managers cars being damaged etc as I feel like if that was happening on an large scale that it would have been picked up by a local paper fairly sharpish and been posted about on here.

And in no way casting aspersions, but when you seen the pictures, the first thing I thought is if people are parking like that on the route, no wonder the bus is getting delayed.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling this demonstration and complaining might just result in the random Palermo shuttle busses being removed to provide a better service to Enniskerry instead? That and/or Dargle will just get double yellows along it's entire length.

It would be logical alright but on the flip side you'd probably have local residents in Palermo complaining about about cuts to their "community" bus service which not many are using anyway especially not it's being run by a private operator.

• Advertisement

The 75 didn't an increase and nor did the 59 arguably the 111 and 114 didn't get any increases either but they did get a Sunday service which they didn't have with DB in the past.

Also plenty of DB routes got increases too with the resources that were freed from services moving to GAI and they got a couple of new routes like the 40e and 155. I've used GAI buses a number times and haven't had any problems other than a few slight ones with RTPI the GAI bus I use (63) seems to be a bit more reliable now only had one ocassion since the switchover where it failed to show up this was a semi-regular with DB.

loyatemu wrote: »
    similar complaints in Greystones about the 184, buses not turning up etc.

As a driver on 184/5 there has being problems on the routes but mainly the 185 the odd 184 does be cancelled because the driver for that departure does be stuck on a inbound 184 or there is no bus for them..it has happened where I arrive to work in the garage and behold there is no bus for me..e.g. stuck on the m50 because of a accident could be 3 drivers waiting for that bus

As a driver on 184/5 there has being problems on the routes but mainly the 185 the odd 184 does be cancelled because the driver for that departure does be stuck on a inbound 184 or there is no bus for them..it has happened where I arrive to work in the garage and behold there is no bus for me..e.g. stuck on the m50 because of a accident could be 3 drivers waiting for that bus

I'd imagine the problems stem from the fact the Bray routes are some of the furthest away from Ballymount by the sound of what you're saying if they had an outstation in Bray there probably wouldn't be so many issues. As you may be aware DB have always had an outstation in Bray where the 184 and 185 were based along with the 145, 84 and the 45 when it used to run and Donnybrook is nearer Bray than Ballymount.

I'd imagine the problems stem from the fact the Bray routes are some of the furthest away from Ballymount by the sound of what you're saying if they had an outstation in Bray there probably wouldn't be so many issues. As you may be aware DB have always had an outstation in Bray where the 184 and 185 were based along with the 145, 84 and the 45 when it used to run and Donnybrook is nearer Bray than Ballymount.

Exactly Stephen

Where short drivers too there's at least 4 people out today shadowing learning the Bray routes so should be improvements in a week or two

Cheers for posting the rota, seems a bit crap! 12 weekends off in a year isn't great, DB was 2 every 5 weeks. How do they work out whos on a 4 day rota and whos on a 5?

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Cheers for posting the rota, seems a bit crap! 12 weekends off in a year isn't great, DB was 2 every 5 weeks. How do they work out whos on a 4 day rota and whos on a 5?

First come first serve then you go on a list and get bumped to 4 day as space comes available

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

On the 17 this morning, one that’s scheduled for 7am. It’s taken 20 minutes to get from the Ashleaf to the KCR, bus stops for 5 minutes at each stop and going ridiculous slow. I’m not sure if this is a timetable thing, trying to make up time?

At this rate we’d be in Blackrock for 11am..

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

20 Minutes for that loop ? Aside from stopping at each stop for 5 minutes is traffic heavy this morning ? Ive to take that bus on tuesday morning , Might rethink that decision.

Yes

3 (hourly) buses in a row not showing up almost every day to Enniskerry on the 185 route.

Lots of wing mirrors gone in Palermo Bray and Enniskerry in the last 6 months. Loads of crashes in Palermo Bray too.

Terry Pratchet

It would be logical alright but on the flip side you'd probably have local residents in Palermo complaining about about cuts to their "community" bus service which not many are using anyway especially not it's being run by a private operator.

They never wanted the huge increase in service NTA and Go Ahead gave them anyway!!!!!!!

They just wanted what Dublin Bus gave them!!!!!!!!!!!

The NTA dont have a clue

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement