Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

KD345 wrote: »
    It seems to be particularly bad this last week.

Some of the cancelled Go-Ahead services mentioned on Twitter today:

Route 17 from Rialto: 15:40
    Route 17A from Howth Junction: 07:40
    Route 18 from Palmerstown: 07:36
    Route 18 from Sandymount: 17:27, 17:47
    Route 45A from Kilmacanogue: 10:50
    Route 76A from Blanchardstown: 18:00
    Route 184 from Newcastle: 06:47
    Route 75A from Dun Laoghaire: 07:35
    Route 104 From DCU: 10:10, 11:10, 17:10, 18:10
    Route 104 from Clontarf: 11:00
    Route 102 From Dublin Airport: 12:30, 13:00
    Route 239 From Blanchardstown: 10:20, 14:20, 16:20
    Route 220 From “BCS”?: 13:11
    Route 236 From Damastown: 17:15
    Route 238 from Tyrrelstown: 14:32, 22:03, 23:03
    Route 238 from Lady’s Well: 21:33, 22:33
    Route 239 From Liffey Valley: 11:55, 12:55, 14:50, 17:45

They’re just the ones mentioned online. There were also buses delayed and running short.

They seem to be announcing the cancelled services ahead of their times which is helpful to inform passengers.

Just to highlight if a driver wasn't available for one run like 6:47 from Newcastle that would effect the whole duty card so up to 4/6 other runs would also be effected in which that driver would of had to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I haven’t been noticing DB issues myself. The above issues will be blatantly obvious to a huge swathe of Go Ahead’s customer base.

I can only go off what I've read off Twitter and DB have even admitted they're having staff issues at the moment I have also stuff like there was a 35+ minute gap in service on the Swords Road there recently for example. I use both DB and GAI fairly regularly and I haven't noticed too many issues either despite all the complaints on Twitter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I wonder what that compares to cancelled DB services atm as from what I gather there's been issues with both operators lately.

Unfortunately I can never see Dublin Bus being anywhere near that transparent about the services that they have cancelled as Go-Ahead have been. The recent update to the Real Time Ireland app has showed that they too have had issues with running a number of services, as a poster stated on that thread and from what I have seen as well.

The difference is that Dublin Bus avoid using the word cancel or cancelled at all costs probably because admitting that they cancelled a bus is not good PR for them and their brand that they are so protective of. Even if you tweet them and ask them if a bus was cancelled they ask you what stop you are at and tell you when the next bus is to avoid admitting they cancelled services. There are numerous examples of this on their twitter.

All publicly funded operators should be made to tweet when they do not operate services that they are contractually obligied to do so. The PSO network should be about serving the interests of the public, not protecting ones interests or their brand by being non transparent.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I haven’t been noticing DB issues myself. The above issues will be blatantly obvious to a huge swathe of Go Ahead’s customer base.

They're very much there I'm afraid, I've noticed a few missing services, as have my colleagues and another poster has also commented about many services being cancelled on Sunday in town which suggests both operators are probablly having issues. Traditionally there has often been this problem over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

There are also a lot of cancelled services with Dublin Bus at the moment. It’s probably not as noticeable because their routes are more frequent and generally run close to other services. When multiple services are cancelled on the 17, 104 or 239 there are no alternatives other than travelling into the city centre and back out. Having a three hour gap on the 104 is not acceptable.

The only positive with Go-Ahead is that they’re now alerting passengers in advance on Twitter which gives people time to plan ahead. If there is a problem with staffing, and it would seem there is, then the timetables should be revised for 6 months to ensure the level of service advertised can be met and then revise.

People will only accept their bus being cancelled so many times before deciding it’s an unreliable way to travel and find an alternative.

There are also a lot of cancelled services with Dublin Bus at the moment. It’s probably not as noticeable because their routes are more frequent and generally run close to other services. When multiple services are cancelled on the 17, 104 or 239 there are no alternatives other than travelling into the city centre and back out. Having a three hour gap on the 104 is not acceptable.

The only positive with Go-Ahead is that they’re now alerting passengers in advance on Twitter which gives people time to plan ahead. If there is a problem with staffing, and it would seem there is, then the timetables should be revised for 6 months to ensure the level of service advertised can be met and then revise.

People will only accept their bus being cancelled so many times before deciding it’s an unreliable way to travel and find an alternative.

I agree whole heartily that cancelled services are completely acceptable. I've also read reports of lower frequency DB routes such as the 33 being cancelled in the last few days. Also there were plenty of cancelled services on current GAI routes when they were with DB.

You also have to remember the majority of the demand comes from the higher frequency cross city routes where long gaps in service are equally unacceptable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Having difficulties with the 236, 104 and 239 within a limited package of routes does not bode well for them getting anything major like the 9, 13,14, 15, 16s.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

https://www.98fm.com/news/go-ahead-fined-dublin-bus-883368

Some bad press...

Although definitely a good time to apply of you want a career change. Employee's market and all that.

The deputy in the article has suggested handing back routes to Dublin Bus. I wonder how likely that would be to ever happen. Would GAI ever be allowed to fail as such..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

They are going to have to get with the programme, they have to match DB wages and better their conditions or they will never be able to properly compete with them until such point as DB have no need for further staff.

dfx- wrote: »
    Having difficulties with the 236, 104 and 239 within a limited package of routes does not bode well for them getting anything major like the 9, 13,14, 15, 16s.

Well that would depend on whether or not they put in the most competitively advantageous tender if and when the routes you mention go out to open tender

• Advertisement

Dublin Bus have also been struggling with services in the summer for several years now, so it's nothing really new in the Dublin City bus experience, it's been a problem every single summer. The only reason that the ones on Go-Ahead stick out more is the fact they are open about it when Dublin Bus are not and the fact that as the services are lower frequency than DB when one is missing it's more obvious.
    Contrails wrote: »

The deputy in the article has suggested handing back routes to Dublin Bus. I wonder how likely that would be to ever happen.

It's unlikely to happen unless they are underperforming for some time and in a way that is out of kilter with other operators. However it would mean that they are never going to get the optional extended period if they do not improve tings since that is dependent on performance.

As stated previously every summer Dublin Bus have had a fair number of service not operating for the last few years, and also several posters have posted the same kind of experience this year on this and other threads, so the idea that if the routes never transferred over everything would be hunky dory, simply does not stand up to scrutiny.

The politician commenting on the matter is just using it as an opportunity to push his ideology across at the end of the day. Personally it would nice to see a politician come out and the number services not operating is unacceptable, regardless of who operates it, but that would involve someone actually looking after public transport as a whole rather than trying to score points towards an ideological argument and I've lived too long here to expect such things!

At the end of the day for too long people in Dublin have been short changed by dozens of services per day not operating in the summer period. there really has to be a change to stop this happening year after year. Maybe it needs more summer timetables or more strict annual leave management, incentivised by increased fines by the NTA, but the current situation that has been going on with Dublin City bus services for the last numbers of years cannot be allowed to continue and the NTA needs to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Bashing DB til the end Devnull. I use Dublin Bus daily (13,69,40, 145, 25 and 66's depending where I'm working) and I haven't noticed any significant drop off in services, certainly nothing as dramatic as Go Ahead are experiencing with their limited package of routes. If they can't manage to run infrequent, short routes like the 239 there is no hope of them being able to operate any significant, high volume cross city service and they shouldn't even be allowed to tender for same until they can get their current house in order.

Bashing DB til the end Devnull. I use Dublin Bus daily (13,69,40, 145, 25 and 66's depending where I'm working) and I haven't noticed any significant drop off in services, certainly nothing as dramatic as Go Ahead are experiencing with their limited package of routes.

The fact is that there has been issues with summer services way before Go-Ahead came on the scene, if you look at threads for the last few summers on boards, you will see that services not operating is nothing new, it has been going on for years and it is high time that something was done about it by the NTA.

You may have not noticed a drop off in Dublin Bus services but you can find several users who have posted different experiences such as Stephen_15 (here), john_boye (here) who said he saw a huge number of services cancelled, whilst VG31 (here) has outlined experiences with the Swords routes being cancelled, Dazberry (here) reported issues with the 123 also.

It would be nice to compare how many services exactly Dublin Bus and Go-Ahead were cancelling, however unfortunately the former is not being very transparent with that information, whereas at least Go-Ahead is actively informing customers that their bus is cancelled, something that the NTA needs to force Dublin Bus to do as well because it is the right thing to do, but unfortunately they're not at the moment, you'll have to ask them why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Same, I use a mixture of the 9/83 and 17a every day. I can time the 9/83 to a tee everyday, reliable, buses run and no messing around. The 17a , on the other hand, has once again been given a new timetable that they don’t have the resources to run, doesn’t have enough running time (still!) and doesn’t appear at even headway’s (at the terminus - so length of route no excuse).

I complained about the shambles of the start of GA operation of the 17a on here at the start and I was shouted down asking me where my criticism of Bus Éireann was (by a moderator for some reason). It hasn’t got any better. At least now the media and general public who don’t have to rely on them can see the operation they’re running. I feel sorry for their drivers too. Lose-lose situation.

All well and good certain posters trying to offer up anecdotal evidence to say that DB are just as bad, but to be honest it just seems as window dressing. Things such as the last 3 or 4 services of the day of hourly routes not running is disgraceful as PT goes.

If you’re first reaction to this news is to admonish Dublin bus for not being transparent, then you’re part of the problem tbh.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Same, I use a mixture of the 9/83 and 17a every day. I can time the 9/83 to a tee everyday, reliable, buses run and no messing around. The 17a , on the other hand, has once again been given a new timetable that they don’t have the resources to run, doesn’t have enough running time (still!) and doesn’t appear at even headway’s (at the terminus - so length of route no excuse).

The 17A has always been a bit of an awkward route though, I used to take it often and the journey time on a particular service would never be the same two days running. Between Blanchardstown and Kilbarrack there are so many bottlenecks, that I wouldn't like to schedule it either. But certainly I would be surprised if it isn't reviewed again by the end of the year.
    I complained about the shambles of the start of GA operation of the 17a on here at the start and I was shouted down asking me where my criticism of Bus Éireann was (by a moderator for some reason). It hasn’t got any better. At least now the media and general public who don’t have to rely on them can see the operation they’re running. I feel sorry for their drivers too. Lose-lose situation.

Indeed, who would have thought that the big evil profit driven commercially driven company would be the one to be open about it's cancellations and tweeting about them ahead of departure so their customers could plan around it by taking an alternative route or another method of transport.
    All well and good certain posters trying to offer up anecdotal evidence to say that DB are just as bad, but to be honest it just seems as window dressing. Things such as the last 3 or 4 services of the day of hourly routes not running is disgraceful as PT goes.

Because if Dublin Bus actively don't post about a cancellation, it must never have happened, right?
    If you’re first reaction to this news is to admonish Dublin bus for not being transparent, then you’re part of the problem tbh.

Why should they not be transparent? Why should they not give their patrons who are travelling to school, home, work or to see their sick relatives in hospital the information they need to change their journey around such information? Maybe the public should instead just be quiet and sit waiting for a bus stop for half an hour in the hope that a bus will arrive instead and be late for work, school or to see their relatives?

As a side note, here is a thread I mentioned earlier about DB having similar issues last year because a lack of drivers:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057876821

There's talk in that thread (here) that Dublin Bus were as many as 70 drivers down heading into summer last year.

• Advertisement

Bashing DB til the end Devnull. I use Dublin Bus daily (13,69,40, 145, 25 and 66's depending where I'm working) and I haven't noticed any significant drop off in services, certainly nothing as dramatic as Go Ahead are experiencing with their limited package of routes. If they can't manage to run infrequent, short routes like the 239 there is no hope of them being able to operate any significant, high volume cross city service and they shouldn't even be allowed to tender for same until they can get their current house in order.

Do you use any GAI services regularly yourself? I use both DB and GAI services fairly regularly not on a daily basis but at least every second or third day mostly a mixture of the 46a, 75, 145, 155 and 63 and I can't say I can particularly fault either operator and would describe myself as satisfied with the bus services I receive from both operators but yes there is always room for improvement.

I have noticed a significant improvement in the 63 since it transferred without wanting to sound bias towards GAI but the service has improved mainly because of the significantly more frequent service at evenings and on weekends but I have also noticed less buses not operating since the changeover has only happened me once since the routes have changed over. Haven't used a bus in Ireland in a few weeks as I'm on holidays at the moment.

I am also very happy with the expansion in DB services since the changeover for me the new route 155 is great benefit to me and I'm sure many are benefiting from the improved timetables on routes like the 4 dor example which only had an hourly timetable on Sundays which was completely unacceptable.

Well GAI aren't looking at any further tenders at the moment until the NTA announce more. There certainly hasn't been any plans to put any additional DB services out to tender in fact DB recently had their direct award contract for the routes they operate extended to 2024 which was the right decision in my opinion as from what I gather the next five years with GAI will prove to be the acid test when it comes to any further tendering taking place. Also if there is any more tendering there will very likely be multiple companies biddding for it in addition to GAI and DB.

Some bad press...

Although definitely a good time to apply of you want a career change. Employee's market and all that.

The deputy in the article has suggested handing back routes to Dublin Bus. I wonder how likely that would be to ever happen. Would GAI ever be allowed to fail as such..?

From what I gather DB and BE have also been fined for services which didn't operate. Without wanting to derail the thread completely towards a political discussion I can safely say Boyd Barrett is a mouthpiece whose brand of politics is becoming increasingly irrelevant in this country and going by the results in the recent local election I wouldn't be surprised if he is at risk of losing his seat in any upcoming general election.

Do you use any GAI services regularly yourself? I use both DB and GAI services fairly regularly not on a daily basis but at least every second or third day mostly a mixture of the 46a, 75, 145, 155 and 63 and I can't say I can particularly fault either operator and would describe myself as satisfied with the bus services I receive from both operators but yes there is always room for improvement.

I have noticed a significant improvement in the 63 since it transferred without wanting to sound bias towards GAI but the service has improved mainly because of the significantly more frequent service at evenings and on weekends but I have also noticed less buses not operating since the changeover has only happened me once since the routes have changed over. Haven't used a bus in Ireland in a few weeks as I'm on holidays at the moment.

The NTA have published figures on reliability and punctuality of both Dublin Bus and Go-Ahead Ireland services in recent months so I just took a look to see what the statistics show for low frequency routes across both operators.

In the period up until March, the latest data for Go-Ahead Ireland on file, it shows that approx 2% of scheduled km were not operated that should have been, which was an increase of the 0.5% in the prior period, which was essentially February, which would sound about right to me as certainly the problems were not so pronounced in January/February, it would be interesting to know how later months compare.

Looking at the data for Dublin Bus in 2018 as a whole, also the latest available at present, the number of scheduled km not operated ranged between 3.4% and 7.2% depending on which month that you look at. Some days have been excluded from these statistics due to storms, very bad weather and other things, which is sensible since it wouldn't be fair to include those days where the operator has no chance of running a proper service.

However the report also mentions Between 18th June and 9th September performance of Dublin Bus was impacted by reduced driver numbers and in these months which resulted on average 6.7% of scheduled vehicle kms not being operated by Dublin Bus, so it comes back to what I was saying earlier on, substantial disruption due to driver shortages was a problem last year, it's not anything new this year.

Obviously these are historical figures, but having looked at the reliability tables for Go-Ahead Ireland and Dublin Bus as well, it seems that both operators have not been hitting their targets on a regular basis and as such it is clear that Dublin Bus would have been fined for their performance in 2018, but the other interesting thing is that if you look at the targets set for operators, they're increasing year on year.

There is also has been issues earlier in the year with Dublin Bus services that have been leaving early (SIPTU have admitted this) and apparently fines have been issued due to this. There has also been reports of Go-Ahead Ireland leaving early on occasion so I would imagine that they have been fined as well. Hopefully the fines are particularly harsh for both the first and last bus for both operators.

Sources
    - Dublin Bus Reliability (2018)
    - Dublin Bus Punctuality (2018)
    - Go Ahead Ireland Reliability (2019 to P3)
    - Go Ahead Ireland Punctuality (2019 to P3)
    - Route by Route Punctuality Table - 2018

I've created a new thread here with more of these similar datasets and other data the NTA recently made available if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

From what I gather DB and BE have also been fined for services which didn't operate. Without wanting to derail the thread completely towards a political discussion I can safely say Boyd Barrett is a mouthpiece whose brand of politics is becoming increasingly irrelevant in this country and going by the results in the recent local election I wouldn't be surprised if he is at risk of losing his seat in any upcoming general election.

Yes I figured this was the case alright, probably less news worthy as I'd imagine it's a common enough occurrence. Easier to bash the new guy.

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting Barrett was actually worth listening to, just putting the question forward.

Also, did anyone notice that no cancellations appeared on the Twitter feed today? Wonder was it a case that there were indeed no cancellations or the social media guys were told to put a sock in it for a while.

From what I gather DB and BE have also been fined for services which didn't operate.

Dublin Bus were fined €1,200,000 last year whereas Bus Eireann were fined €600,000 according to what the NTA spokesperson said in the Irish Times. He also said that GAI were being set tougher targets than that have been set for Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus. It will be interesting if in the next direct award contract that Dublin Bus will also be given the tougher targets.

• Advertisement

Also, did anyone notice that no cancellations appeared on the Twitter feed today? Wonder was it a case that there were indeed no cancellations or the social media guys were told to put a sock in it for a while.

There were services that didn't show up on the 18 certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I find it interesting that you've noticed the 63 has improved as I've experienced the opposite. When GAI took over the route it was a slight improvement over DB, but over the last few months the service has been a total shambles. There has been several cases where buses simply didn't show up and they are frequently late, especially in the evenings.

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I find it interesting that you've noticed the 63 has improved as I've experienced the opposite. When GAI took over the route it was a slight improvement over DB, but over the last few months the service has been a total shambles. There has been several cases where buses simply didn't show up and they are frequently late, especially in the evenings.

Can't say I've expierenced buses not showing up in the evenings in fact I've a particular improvement in the service in the evenings as the buses are more frequent now than they were with DB. On a number of ocassions I can remember no shows at weekends on the 63 when it was with DB and that's when it was 45 mins now it's every half hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

I'm no expert but i drove by Ballymount & could have sworn i saw a db bus in their depot. Someone needs to go to specsavers obviously.

I'm no expert but i drove by Ballymount & could have sworn i saw a db bus in their depot. Someone needs to go to specsavers obviously.

Was this recently? As many GAI buses were transferred from DB and may have been awaiting a respray if it was before GAI had finished taking up their routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Was this recently? As many GAI buses were transferred from DB and may have been awaiting a respray if it was before GAI had finished taking up their routes.

Late yesterday evening. As i said I'm no expert but i can distinguish the livery plus it had ads on the side of the bus.

Late yesterday evening. As i said I'm no expert but i can distinguish the livery plus it had ads on the side of the bus.

Some GAI buses have ads for Child Leap card now

One of the 18s I was on last night where I learned of the customer complaints about missing buses was a 191 reg, but DB upholstery. 11586.

I thought they were only on the old ones transferred from DB

One of the 18s I was on last night where I learned of the customer complaints about missing buses was a 191 reg, but DB upholstery. 11586.

I thought they were only on the old ones transferred from DB

There were a number of buses which were orginally due to be delivered to DB but the NTA decided to give them to GAI instead as they were short of double deckers they were already in DB when built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Phat Cat wrote: »

Feedback I've received from regular passengers on the 63 is that it's vastly improved since Go Ahead took over. More departures and fewer cancellations. Not perfect by any means - a few months ago, two consecutive buses failed to turn up - but it's definitely better than it was. A quick Twitter search shows that it suffered a disproportionately large number of 'operational issues' during its final months with Dublin Bus.

The only time I'm ever late on the 63 is between around 4:30 and 6pm, when traffic is bad on Glenamuck Road (north and south).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Yes you did some person was sent to liffey valley to collect a bus and bring it back to the garage..but instead of taking a GAI bus they took a Dublin bus for some strange reason..I had to double look when I pulled in with my bus apparently they didn't notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

ax586 wrote: »
    Yes you did some person was sent to liffey valley to collect a bus and bring it back to the garage..but instead of taking a GAI bus they took a Dublin bus for some strange reason..I had to double look when I pulled in with my bus apparently they didn't notice

I guess the DB livery is not as iconic as DB claim :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh of course things should be better the routes all got an increase in frequency as soon as gai took over.

GM228 wrote: »
    I guess the DB livery is not as iconic as DB claim :)

Well if both operators start using the same livery in the coming years I can see this becoming a more common occurence. I'm sure it happens in London with all buses in the same livery regardless of operator from time to time. But this exposes the possibility that if a GAI driver can accidentally take a DB bus then so can a knacker take one for a joyride if left unattended.

Well if both operators start using the same livery in the coming years I can see this becoming a more common occurence. I'm sure it happens in London with all buses in the same livery regardless of operator from time to time. But this exposes the possibility that if a GAI driver can accidentally take a DB bus then so can a knacker take one for a joyride if left unattended.

In fairness most people would not know how to start a double decker bus..there is more than just turning the ignition switch

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

There's no fob or requirement to login to gps system or anything? it's just push button and drive off? sort of mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

There's no fob or requirement to login to gps system or anything? it's just push button and drive off? sort of mad.

London have greater security on their buses. Saying that unless you are shown how to start a bus it would be pretty hard to figure out.

The streetlite ain't like that

ax586 wrote: »
    In fairness most people would not know how to start a double decker bus..there is more than just turning the ignition switch

I heard a story that years ago someone managed to rob a bus from the 7 terminus in Loughlinstown not sure how true it was though. Think it may have been an RV which may have been easier to start alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

RV or SG both easy to start, if you know where the buttons are, and yes an RA bus did end up on a football grounds in the Sallynoggin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's not as easy as just pushing a button. You also have to pat its head and rub its tummy at the same time. And once you've started the thing, getting it to move off requires a bit of thought too. A prospective bus thief would have to do their homework first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I heard a story that years ago someone managed to rob a bus from the 7 terminus in Loughlinstown not sure how true it was though. Think it may have been an RV which may have been easier to start alright.

Very true story, the driver left the single decker running and went off into shop or pub, I can't recall but the bus was a right off....

A guy let a hand brake off a Av or Ax on Parnell square and it took off backwards down the hill, hit a few cars luckily nobody was hit. I believe was a ex driver....

Some drivers have shown others how to start over the years too and some have gone off for a spin but it is very rare.

There's almost cetainly an online how to video. There's always an online how to video...

It was RV556 stolen in Loughlinstown wasn't it? AX474 was taken at the Coombe but was found down the road having just rolled to a stop because they ran..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

It was 559 and the story at the time was that the guy who took it had previously been shown how to start and drive them by a driver friend of his.

This thread is for discussion of the Dublin Bus services that have transfered to Go-Ahead

Discussion of the Bus Eireann services transfering to Go-Ahead has it's own thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057941569

Please post in the correct topic else your posts may be moved

• Advertisement

My post was not related to either ex DB services or ex BE services but Go Ahead in general and their wages/recruitment/staff retainment issues which has been discussed at length in this particular thread many times.

Would it not be better to have one mega merged thread concerning GAI?

They will have threeoperations going eventually, but are the one company and no doubt many of the items that come up for discussion will be equally applicable to their operations as a whole. I for one would prefer a single thread to discuss GAI as opposed to eparate GAI (ex DB) or GAI (ex BE) etc threads.

I would too.

GM228 wrote: »
    Would it not be better to have one mega merged thread concerning GAI?

They will have threeoperations going eventually, but are the one company and no doubt many of the items that come up for discussion will be equally applicable to their operations as a whole. I for one would prefer a single thread to discuss GAI as opposed to eparate GAI (ex DB) or GAI (ex BE) etc threads.

Not that you say it actually got me thinking why not have a mega thread for all major operators, DB, GAI, BE, IE and Luas? It's already the case though that there is a lot of overlap here between stuff happening with DB already and the ex BE GAI thread would have some overlap with stuff happening with BE.

Not that you say it actually got me thinking why not have a mega thread for all major operators, DB, GAI, BE, IE and Luas? It's already the case though that there is a lot of overlap here between stuff happening with DB already and the ex BE GAI thread would have some overlap with stuff happening with BE.

Point taken!

• Advertisement
Advertisement