Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

1919293949597»

Comments

Crap service. Have had to resort to getting the Dublin bus 49 / 65/B from where I am in Templeogue (to Old bawn)

For dunleary get a bus into town and then a 46a. Don't go that direction very often since the demise of Buck Henry's though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Full support to the drivers if this goes ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Unfortunately I don't have access to the full article, but seen Go Ahead are essentially hitting back at Bray Councillors about the delays to the services the run within Bray.

Its ridiculous that every 185 working still goes through Palermo, definitely part of the cause of delays.

Edit: found a non-paywalled article:

Go-Ahead going on strike on the 1st and 8th March. I presume no service on any GAI route on those dates unless they employ scabs which I believe they do in the UK.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0209/1355760-go-ahead-bus-strike/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh no. Bus passengers in Dun Laoghaire are going to become significantly angry about this strike considering most of the routes running from Dun Laoghaire Dart station are with GAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

Considering the trouble they have employing full time drivers I'd be surprised if they managed it here.

Yes damn those drivers for looking for an improvement in their sub-standard Ts&Cs, Damn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't know tbh but it wouldn't surprise if they tried. A lot of their management have D licences so could be sent out driving and they could possibly bring over from the UK just to defy the strike if nothing else.

There was a recent strike involving Go North West (also Go-Ahead) drivers in Manchester that turned very ugly. It even has a Wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Go_North_West_strike

That would be an excellent response to any strike. Fair play to any manager and driver who would travel from the UK to try ensure the service to the public remains operational. Hopefully such workers are given substantial incentive bonuses for going above and beyond and their commitment to customer service.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't happen unless they fancy running someone over leaving the garage.

You're understanding of the law around picketing is very poor. You're an embarrassment to the movement you support. You can't even get the basics of your argument right.

Blocking access is not allowed, so why would anyone get run over.

If you are suggesting illegal attempts to block enterances, I'll inform the mod to have you banned from Boards for promoting illegal activity.

I don't support any movement unless supporting a fair days pay for a fair days work is a movement. Anyway you'll be delighted to know the strike is off now so there won't be any disruption to the travelling public or picketing. Let's hope a deal can be done that works for both the workers and management.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

No. Management don't give a fiddlers the unions and dogs know that. Good that strike is off tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Better still, they could give a substantial incentive bonus (i.e. a pay rise) to all of their staff. Which, let's be honest, is exactly what's going to happen in the end anyway. The only thing that's not clear is the route that they'll take towards that - although now that they've agreed to go to the Labour Court, and the strike has been averted, it looks like the company has chosen the most straightforward route.

You're in no position to accuse others of being an embarrassment. You weren't even aware that there's a massive shortage of people willing to drive buses, and that the staff currently have the upper hand over their employer. Too busy trying to be an edgelord, I suspect.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You may report posts any time you want but you may not threaten other posters like that. It is viewed as back seat moderating.

Imply they are promoting illegal activity without even trying to clarify what they mean first is also not one.

Nor is calling them an embarrassment.

please read the charter before posting again.

— Moderator

Such an upper hand they are willing to lose pay and stand around looking at a burning barrel for a full day. Really showing who's got the upper hand.

If settled by the Labour Court, fair enough.

But if they drag the travelling public into it, I hope the company dig it for as long as possible to negate any increase in the end.

Interesting the Luas staff are not taking about striking during a time of unprecedented rising costs. They were taught a lesson a long time ago now.

I see your point but still don't agree with it. This stuff about disruption travelling public is nonsense as GAI for the most part operate the less important routes that people are not going to be commuting less on. The disruption caused by a GAI strike would be minimal compared to a DB strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

People don’t commute on GAI routes?

What utter nonsense.

Thousands of people use GAI orbital bus services to get to and from work, college or school every day.

Those passengers are no less important than anyone else using the bus service in Dublin.

Apologies if you took that the wrong way. I was referring to the possibility strike and industrial relations issues at Go-Ahead as opposed to services they provide.

My point is that GAI is far less disruptive than a DB strike. A DB strike would be actually less disruptive now than 5 years ago now GAI are operating too. I support the workers in GAI far more than I would DB drivers going on strike as GAI drivers are paid less than their DB counterparts. Encouraging strike breaking attempts to save disruption to the general public is unacceptable don't you think. I know some people might not care.

• Advertisement

There are huge numbers of people who commute on GAI every day. And it's not just the ODMA routes on it's own. They operate some of the Dublin Commuter belt bus routes like the 120, 125 & 126 along with the 197 from Swords to Ashbourne.

Even though most of the routes operate on a social basis. They do have the capability to provide a much needed function to operate a service for commuters as well.

The hearing taking place between the management of GAI and SIPTU at the Labour Court is something that is very positive.

However; the concern that I have coming from this intervention by the LC is that if they were any opportunity for the drivers to get a pay increase. Would a pay increase in this situation have to be only drawn down from the balance sheets of GAI's business model?

Or OTOH would there be more options to get new sources of finance from GA's new owners who only bought it last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Also posted this in the bus connects thread but will post here also:

Seen this on the 17 today, seems to be an internal newsletter that someone stuck up on the bus. Ballymount expansion has supposedly started, with a completion timeline of 25 weeks.

It will enable fleet expansion for the upcoming W routes and the provision of Electric chargers when the need arises, along with some other upgrades.

GAI have posted two new updates about the Bray Air Show & upcoming US football game to place in the Aviva Stadium for late July and late August on their website today.

Bray Air Show Today 14:51

Please note, the Bray Air Display will be taking place on Saturday and Sunday, 29th and 30th of July 2023.

Due to this event, service delays may be experienced between 09:00AM - 18:00PM.

Services will terminate at Quinsborough Road and commence from Adelaide Road.

Additional Service Route 18 - Notre Dame vs Navy Today 16:04

Due to the Notre Dame vs Navy Football game taking place on the 26th August 2023, additional 18 services will be operating.

There will be three additional trips pre-event and three additional trips post-event.

The additional trips are as follows:

17:10 Hollyville - Sandymount

17:30 Hollyville - Sandymount

17:50 Hollyville - Sandymount

23:15 Sandymount - Hollyville

23:45 Sandymount - Hollyville

00:00 Sandymount - Hollyville

I want to ask a question about the additional departures for the 18.

Where exactly is Hollyville on the 18 route? I am not familiar with that part of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As someone who is familiar with the route and area...

If a tourist came and asked how to get to Hollyville, I'd have no idea where or how to get there.

I'd quickly do a Google map search, as I've just done now. However, I knew this route so it helped too... I agree that each operator and even the NTA aren't consistent with the information provided.

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The inconsistency for passengers is so poor.

In this case of the 18, they use “Hollyville” as the westerly departure point. Hollyville Lawn is a small cul de sac off the Old Lucan Road beside Palmerstown Village which is what is displayed on the front of the bus. 

At the other end of the route they change their approach, where the terminus is Newgrove Avenue they choose to just go with Sandymount.

You can’t fault their accuracy in places but it’s delivered through the eyes of the operator and regulator rather than the passenger and end user. 

All Dublin city bus routes should be reviewed for this reason. Surely, Dublin Commuter Coalition could help with that... I'm a huge fan of terminus being named after a name of the bigger/widely known names. Eg., The Square doesn't satisfy me and I'd call it either Tallaght Square (Tallaght The Square?) Or Tallaght Centre.

Community College (Maynooth) - not sure how it's actually showing up on the buses, but I'd say Maynooth North would be better or at least wither Maynooth Moyglare or then Maynooth Community College.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some stop names are obsolete businesses also. I'm not sure exactly when they got rid of O'Briens Supermarket as a stage name in Maynooth but it had rebranded twice before they did (Quinnsworth, Tesco). Riding School in Celbridge refers to a business that closed almost 20 years ago

• Advertisement

That's why stops should never be called after the businesses. Always after a street/road, park, cemetery, school or other governmental building or either create some names after a large rock, tree, lake or whatever locally well known and could understood by non-locals, but at least would be relevant. Instead of Tesco it could be a supermarket, however, I'm pretty sure shops don't get built in the fields so surely they could use a name of a road from the nearby junction.

In some countries, businesses pay big money regularly to the authorities to name a bus stop for a number of decades after the business. If NTA doesn't receive any money for that reason, I then don't see why would there be any bus stops named after the businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Naming stops after businesses is something that Bus Éireann is guilty of in their bracketed stop naming scheme. I'm actually rather glad those names stayed confined to two spaces: online timetables and duty cards.

An approach found on the continent is for any intermediate stops to be named by streets, cross-streets, railway stations, schools, major government offices, whatever, and then for termini to carry the neighbourhood/area name. My homecity in particular practices this with intermediate stops taking the "street it's on / cross-street" format. By that merit, 4357/4359 Hollyville Lawn should be named Palmerstown.

The major problem in this scenario is that of course many will take the attitude of "but this isn't the town/area/village centre!" In Palmerstown's case, that's solved by 2212 Palmerstown Village (which is annoying in that you have the nearby 2241, 4401, and 4361 all called Kennelsfort Road (or Rd in the case of 4361). It could be grounds for confusion, but regardless.

All in all, I still dislike the fact that there are major inconsistencies between stop names as per timetables and the destination scrolls. The act should be cleaned up one way or another, and informing pax about these changes should be taken far more seriously.

Not helped by the NTA and the operators having their own autonomy in this regard. The W61 buses display Hazelhatch and Celbridge Station across two lines but the DB buses on the L58 and L59 display Hazelhatch Stn both should consistent. The 11 displayed Wadelai since time began until someone decided to change it to St. Papins Road.

In fairness DB have always been fairly consistent with their timetable information and LED displays but they shouldn't get off scot free though as having recruitment messages on the scrolls of in service buses should not be allowed by the NTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Seanoreilly200

Is anyone here a Go ahead Ireland driver? I am just wondering if they are hiring B applicants and what is the pay after you are qualified

Advertisement