Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

ERG89 wrote: »
    Despite us being nailed on to sign him the way sky were talking we never even bid for Van Dijk.
    Club will probably sign nobody tbh.

We didn't. We sh*t the bed by tapping him up and having him publicly state he was joining us before even thinking of talking to Southampton. And apparently we're waiting to be invited to the table before talking to them. And there's no plan B, according to Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If VVD is dead in the water then bring Sahko in from exile. Yes he's a pillock but he can play ball and is a better option than Lovren, Gomez or Klavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If we can't identify another CB to bring in, with 60m+ to spend, then our entire scouting team and staff need an almighty slap, in all honesty.

Knex. wrote: »
    If we can't identify another CB to bring in, with 60m+ to spend, then our entire scouting team and staff need an almighty slap, in all honesty.

Klopp said last week that we don't need one. He knows we're not getting VvD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I know Gomez is in the mix and wasn't last year, but it's still not close to being deep enough. We lost Lucas as well. 5th choice is who, Lloyd Jones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Emre Can or James Milner I'd say!

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If VVD is dead in the water then bring Sahko in from exile. Yes he's a pillock but he can play ball and is a better option than Lovren, Gomez or Klavan.

I read quotes somewhere from Klopp that said something like 'we'll see once he gets fit' when asked about Sakho. But he also said they only have 4 CBs, and Sakho wasn't mentioned, so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Klopp said last week that we don't need one. He knows we're not getting VvD.

Sakho is gone and he's not coming back. He's had his chances and blew them.

I cannot believe that Klopp has accept that Lovren can only be replaced by VVD.

There must be better out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If we were willing to throw 60 million at VVD that money should be able to get De Vrij, Tah or Koulibaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'd rather we kept Lucas. I'd still play him over Klavan and Gomez.

• Advertisement

In a way though, we did great against PL top 4/5/6 both home and away last season. That suggests we might well be really set up well for CL games against better opposition.

Klopp might well be thinking ".........be grand"

:)

Fingers crossed it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augeo wrote:
    In a way though, we did great against PL top 4/5/6 both home and away last season. That suggests we might well be really set up well for CL games against better opposition.

We died on our arses after Christmas with far less games though.
    I'd say maybe Klopp noticed that but he still has Moreno & Lovren in the team after nearly 2 years so he may be a slow learner.

We died on our arses after Christmas with far less games though...............

Indeed, I'm sort of swinging around to feck it, let's just enjoy the football and hope we get a fair bit of good luck too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

That nonsense celebration with Benteke really annoyed me and I felt he'd burned his bridges, but at this stage IF he shows a good attitude and a strong desire to play I would hope that Klopp can sit down with him and work things out.

I genuinely believe he's probably our best centre-back, and he's at least in and around the level of Matip and Lovren (all different players tbf).

Agree that this is unlikely however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I really don't like the idea of two players that Klopp clearly didn't want in his team last year, Sakho and Moreno, starting in it this season. That is far from progress.

Keita dead, VVD dead, everyone is dead.

The stance we need to take with Coutinho too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The stance we need to take with Coutinho too.

We should just copy and paste Southampton 's statement...and change the names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Fair play to Southampton. I hope to fcuk we do the same with Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I still the club should make a push for sanchez from arsenal

Fair play to Southampton. I hope to fcuk we do the same with Coutinho.

We did try last week but then he handed in the transfer request an hour later & is currently for all intensive purposes faking a back injury now while we have important games.
    Makes a difference when the interested club actually bids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Same people complaining we didn't bid for Van Dijk would be complaining about the stupidity of bidding and receiving a transfer ban.

We did try last week but then he handed in the transfer request an hour later & is currently for all intensive purposes faking a back injury now while we have important games.
    Makes a difference when the interested club actually bids.

I know all that pal, but there's no reason why we can't stick to our guns anyway.

VVD asked to leave too, just like Coutinho.

Southampton are sticking to their guns anyway. I think we should too.

I really don't like the idea of two players that Klopp clearly didn't want in his team last year, Sakho and Moreno, starting in it this season. That is far from progress.

I'm baffled by Moreno's "re-emergence" too. But Sakho is a different situation in fairness.
    I'm far from being a Sakho fan but with Moreno he's just never going to be a particularly good LB imo, whereas with Sakho there is actually a decent player in him, it's not as though he's been left out in the wilderness for not being a good player, he's the 3rd best CB at the club (arguably 2nd best) so if we can't find a better player right now then it's maybe worth considering getting him back involved.
    It wouldn't undermine Klopp at all, he's made his point by now surely.
    Plus, Sakho will know he's in the last chance saloon. No better motivation than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

martyos121 wrote: »
    Keita dead, VVD dead, everyone is dead.

Moreno did it.
    Everyones dead but Moreno is still alive too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

93GyHa.png

The main problem for the goal is at this point. The player has 6 options ahead of him and all the time in the world to pick one out. Mane not closing down the man quickly enough.

Lovren and Moreno both too deep allowing 2 players on side from the long ball.

The entire midfield ball watching.

Yeah, the midfield is a disaster there, two of them should be covering the two Hoff players that are standing between the lines... Not tracking them fucks the defenders - Matip should be covering the guy behind him, and Lovren covering the guy behind him. But since the runners are free to move in untroubled, Lovren now has to have an eye on the runner, leaving Matip exposed and having to pick between the two lads he's in the middle of. A more experienced RB would see this, leave his man, and cover the guy behind Matip. The danger is always inside - if you have to pick between two, pick the guy closer to goal, as you can always get back into position to stop the guy coming from wider afterwards. Rather than the arrow you have for TAA, I'd actually rather him deeper, in line with Matip.

Not sure why the ? on Moreno, he's in exactly the right position, in line with Matip, and in good position to cover the man he's marking. You have the arrow there, but I don't think he should be any closer than he is - there's just no need for him to be wider than this. If the ball gets played to the winger, that's grand, he's in the right area to block him off. Going wider opens up the opportunity for the player in possession to knock a ball between FB and CB, giving the attacker a 50/50 chance of getting straight through on goal.

All in all, better work from the midfield doing the simple legwork to screen their defence, and the defence wouldn't need to adjust for being outnumbered, having to pick between the lesser of two evils in real time.

20800253_1627125490642313_4984225151096995159_n.jpg?oh=b145f68112a53aa8335595c5a6dd8859&oe=5A3900B5

No buyout clause leads to what's happening with Barca now and the player putting transfer request.

Stupid money buyout clauses make it nearly impossible for any club to match.

If we had Coutinho tied to a buyout of £250m do you really think Barca would try for him being honest.

Our fans give out about us lowballing but Barca are the worst at lowballing.

Can't agree with this. Buyout clauses 100% only help the player and the buying club. Never the selling club. There's just no benefit to the selling club having one. Most transfers of players with buyout clauses are done for a price lower than the buyout clause. A buyout clause doesn't mean "only for sale at this price", it means "the most that needs to be spent is this".

If Coutinho had a 300 million buyout clause, everything that has already happened would still be happening. Cout's would still be pushing for a move, Barca would still be offering exactly what they're offering, and we'd still be saying "no dice".

I know how you're thinking about it - that the club can say "that's his buyout, we're not hearing anything other than that", but the club is equally in the position to say that without a buyout clause. Without the clause we can still say "300 million or gtfo", or as has actually been the case "No sale under any circumstances".

Buyout clauses get us nothing, in terms of hanging on to players we want to keep.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A more experienced LB would see this, leave his man, and cover the guy behind Matip. The danger is always inside - if you have to pick between two, pick the guy closer to goal, as you can always get back into position to stop the guy coming from wider afterwards. Rather than the arrow you have for TAA, I'd actually rather him deeper, in line with Matip..

That opening line.... Do you mean RB? You're sort of defending and attacking Moreno at the same time otherwise, no?
    Or maybe I took you up wrong?

That opening line.... Do you mean RB? You're sort of defending and attacking Moreno at the same time otherwise, no?
    Or maybe I took you up wrong?

Oops - yes, sorry, RB is what i meant. Fixed now - thanks for spotting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Turtyturd wrote: »
    We should just copy and paste Southampton 's statement...and change the names.
    We might need to change the club crest as well.

Or maybe not, less confusion for the incoming player when he sees the Southampton crest...

Oops - yes, sorry, RB is what i meant. Fixed now - thanks for spotting!

Sound, I wasn't being smart either, just wondering.
    Yeah you're right overall i think, TAA should have been slightly deeper, it was one of very few mistakes he made. Silly yellow being another one but he was excellent overall.

Hypothetically speaking, I'd love to have seen what that picture would have looked like if we had a good, natural DCM on the field.
    Even if Lucas was playing, I'd be expecting him to react and drop back and spot the danger, providing cover.
    Then maybe the goal doesn't happen, we had midfielders there who were basically oblivious to the danger or at best didn't react.

Sound, I wasn't being smart either, just wondering.
    Yeah you're right overall i think, TAA should have been slightly deeper, it was one of very few mistakes he made. Silly yellow being another one but he was excellent overall.

Hypothetically speaking, I'd love to have seen what that picture would have looked like if we had a good, natural DCM on the field.
    Even if Lucas was playing, I'd be expecting him to react and drop back and spot the danger, providing cover.
    Then maybe the goal doesn't happen, we had midfielders there who were basically oblivious to the danger or at best didn't react.

yeah, it's like we have a shared responsibility when it comes to attacking and high pressing, everyone pitching in together - but when it comes to bog standard, 'in-our-own-half' defending, our midfield switches off. Really have to imagine the likes of Kante making all the difference, always watching the danger, either cutting it out, or getting in position to take up the slack for the CB's.

Like, even if you're not great defensively, and don't possess that 'big picture' perspective that great DM's have, you can't ever go too far wrong by simply tracking a runner moving from midfield into the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If Southampton are being knobs about not selling VVD to us, we should genuinely just sign Hoedt.

1. He's actually fairly decent.
    2. Annoys Southampton more.

sign vvd, they use cash to bid for hoedt, thats when we bid for hoedt too.. drive up the price,or just buy him,sell to saints nxt summer,break the pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

yeah, it's like we have a shared responsibility when it comes to attacking and high pressing, everyone pitching in together - but when it comes to bog standard, 'in-our-own-half' defending, our midfield switches off. Really have to imagine the likes of Kante making all the difference, always watching the danger, either cutting it out, or getting in position to take up the slack for the CB's.

Like, even if you're not great defensively, and don't possess that 'big picture' perspective that great DM's have, you can't ever go too far wrong by simply tracking a runner moving from midfield into the final third.

This is the problem though isn't it? We do not have designated defending Central mid - Lucas was as close as we've ever had. Can/Win/Hendo are all in my mind always trying to break the lines and make attacking runs. Kante is a different animal - he seeks out the danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I think it would be crazy not to let Coutinho go for big money. He's terrific when he's on form but he's inconsistent. And he wants to go. Go in for Jean Michael Serri and you'll still have the guts of £60 million change.

• Advertisement

Zak Flaps wrote:
    And he wants to go. Go in for Jean Michael Serri and you'll still have the guts of £60 million change.

Yeah change is great to have. I mean we can look at it & maybe win the net spend league. As far as I'm concerned we shouldn't be earn needing money to buy players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'll be surprised if we sign anyone by the end of the transfer window, Coutinho will stay but we'll likely lose both himself and Can next summer, best we can hope for is going after Keita in January but i'd say he'll sign a new contract by then with a mega buyout clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Yeah change is great to have. I mean we can look at it & maybe win the net spend league.

You're absolutely right. Burn the 60 million, it's worth nothing.
    we shouldn't be earn needing money to buy players.

I couldn't put that better myself.

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I think it would be crazy not to let Coutinho go for big money. He's terrific when he's on form but he's inconsistent. And he wants to go. Go in for Jean Michael Serri and you'll still have the guts of £60 million change.

If we sell him now, we almost certainly can't adequately replace him. We've spent the whole summer with tonnes of money we literally can't find ways to spend.

We can sell him next summer for the same, or likely more money, with (theoretically) time to put a plan in place to replace him.

There's just no upside to selling him now. We don't need the money, and his value is more likely to increase than decrease. And he doesn't seem the sort to down tools for the season, and it would personally hurt him anyway with the WC at seasons end. He needs to play, and he needs to perform.

Zak Flaps wrote:
    You're absolutely right. Burn the 60 million, it's worth nothing.

It's worth nothing if you don't buy players but we should have been doing that the last 3 months but did nothing after we bought Salah.
    How the club didn't go for a centre half is beyond me & a centre midfielder after Leipzig told us to do one.

• Advertisement

Trent Alexander Arnold is one goal away from being level with Everton in the number of champions league goals scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It's worth nothing if you don't buy players but we should have been doing that the last 3 months but did nothing after we bought Salah.
    How the club didn't go for a centre half is beyond me & a centre midfielder after Leipzig told us to do one.

Thats why i think something bad is going on behind the scenes. Maybe a stand off between jurgen and the board or coutinho must be sold to fund the window.

I know jurgen wears glasses but no way is he that blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ricero wrote: »
    Thats why i think something bad is going on behind the scenes. Maybe a stand off between jurgen and the board or coutinho must be sold to fund the window.

I know jurgen wears glasses but no way is he that blind

You leave glasses out of this...

Maybe it is a case of only buying improvements and not buying for the sake of it , why cause unrest and the likes if your number targets are not for sale and the second targets are near the same as what is already there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Howedes is in talks with a number of unnamed English clubs.

€20m price attached we better be all over that.

Matip's CB partner for 7 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Maybe it is a case of only buying improvements and not buying for the sake of it , why cause unrest and the likes if your number targets are not for sale and the second targets are near the same as what is already there

There are a LOT of players out there that are very firm improvements to our centre back line. I mean, even if you really push to make an argument for Lovren (which I think is a push for anyone), it's impossible to argue that Klavan is a high enough quality CB to have as our first backup. Any injury to Matip or Lovren, and we have a poor to average CB coming in.

Howedes is in talks with a number of unnamed English clubs.

€20m price attached we better be all over that.

Be a great buy at that price. Also fits right in beside Matip - two CB's who have already played together for years.

I'm looking at Napoli vs Nice & just thinking Zielinski was our target before Wijnaldum. We obviously weren't upset to cause unrest then. We sold Lucas & Can hasn't signed a new contract either so I don't see why we aren't looking.
    If the club can't find a better centre back than Dejan Lovren I am dumbfounded.
    Honestly I don't feel we are aiming for anything higher than 4th this year going by our transfer activity.
    Everyone around us bar Spurs have been busy & we started another season sticking with Lovren & Moreno.
    It's gas in a way. :p

There are a LOT of players out there that are very firm improvements to our centre back line. I mean, even if you really push to make an argument for Lovren (which I think is a push for anyone), it's impossible to argue that Klavan is a high enough quality CB to have as our first backup. Any injury to Matip or Lovren, and we have a poor to average CB coming in.

It could also be argued that it's a case of individual quality is there but could be the system that is leaving them badly exposed aswell

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement