Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

It would be our luck for Matip to get injured now leaving us with lovren and klaven with an untested gomez as back up, no idea what klopp is up to regarding central defence. We have plenty of options in all other areas but we are left short at our weakest position. I can't see how he thought it was an absurdly valued vvd who had not played since January or nobody else, I really can't get over it.
    That being said klopp knows infinitely more about football than me or any of us so I am buzzing to see what he can do with this team for the season, big test now to reintegrate phil back but with a fully fit squad I think we can compete on all fronts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

sabat wrote: »
    Ah I see. So that could be an alternative way of judging a team's success, maybe through some kind of weighted league table?

Well, the fact that you ask that question says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Virgil will join Liverpool in Jan. He won't look good on pitch for Southampton after the way they treated him. I expect him to give away penalties and get sent off in coming weeks.

Ah for gods sake... have you seriously posted this as some sort of reasoning...

Post of the week.....hands down... straight jacket... you win the transfer market....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

For the record, I like Toby's posts but that looks straight out of a Paddy Power post comment section from ropey Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So Coutinho just scored for Brazil. Apparently after the goal he looked "very emotional" and may have been crying.

His poor back must be killing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That chip pass is ridic.

Tell Barca tomorrow the price is £200m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Poor lad must have been in agony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Virgil will join Liverpool in Jan. He won't look good on pitch for Southampton after the way they treated him. I expect him to give away penalties and get sent off in coming weeks.

The way he treated Southampton might be more apt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Van Dijk is never joining us. He spent the whole Summer doing everything he could to force a move and we never even made a bid. If I was in his shoes Liverpool is the last club I'd join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's obviously a reason we didn't make a bid. Maybe the F.A advised us we couldn't/shouldn't. That humiliating public apology was the end, it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Yea time to forget about VVD. Actually, he should have been forgotten about a couple of months ago. If the club really were hanging their hopes on him until the deadline, they're a bunch of incompetents.

Poor, poor performance in the window.
    The club are getting less stick than they deserve because

1) they had a result last weekend that makes them look like they're in better shape than they actually are. If the 3-3 with crystal Palace happened last weekend there would be a different mood in here now.

2) they signed Keita which is no good to us this window

3) they (supposedly) 'tried' to spend 150m on deadline day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Van Dijk is never joining us. He spent the whole Summer doing everything he could to force a move and we never even made a bid. If I was in his shoes Liverpool is the last club I'd join.

We couldn't make an official bid unless Southampton said they'd sell. Is it worth risking a transfer ban for one player? I don't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Grayditch wrote: »
    I fear that people reading this board might think this kind of comment is the norm here.

Hope this is tongue in cheek or irony of sorts, otherwise it's the internet equivalent of hoping tourists in your town don't spot the local headbangers and think everyone's like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Arsenal result has temporarily disabled critical thought for some. The City game might just be a jolt back to the reality of our situation...

We're actually shocking at Defense and Goalkeeper the more you look at it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Arsenal result has temporarily disabled critical thought for some. The City game might just be a jolt back to the reality of our situation...

No doubt the "voice of reason" will be in here telling us when the city result doesn't go our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think the vast majority here are worried about CB.....plenty here have pointed this out, myself included. If it doesn't work out then Klopp will get little sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

i agree the defence is bad, however strengthening midfield will relieve some pressure on the defence (apart from set pieces), however Robertson is a positive and perhaps Matip and Gomez will step up to the plate! VVD would of been fantastic. As i have always said, the major weak link is Henderson - yes he gives the odd good assist and runs his legs off but he is not up to scratch, i think he is slowly being found out by Klopp anyway. I think we will beat City - our attacking ability is very formidable and we will have Couthino back too - i see Kieta coming in January. I think we can challenge this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Maybe we're playing Ox in goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

It's a shame that lovrem cannot sort his head out and wasn't upgraded this window, a shame that the defence cannot perform as a unit, and that our midfielders aren't all as defensively minded as Lucas was.

We have no excuses as a club. Klopp has had enough time to address these things so it's all on klopp.

So you either accept klopp and his apparent Achilles heel or you don't.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are you suggesting that the only reason he didn't sign for us is that we didn't make a bid? Nonsense. You're usually far more sensible than that.

• Advertisement

Also, if we sell Coutinho before the Spanish window closes tonight, then I'll be as annoyed as anyone. We won't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    That chip pass is ridic.

Tell Barca tomorrow the price is £200m.
    There is literally zero chance that he isn't on the plane to Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

5starpool wrote: »
    Also, if we sell Coutinho before the Spanish window closes tonight, then I'll be as annoyed as anyone. We won't though.

Mostl likely. You reckon he'll be professional and give 100% for his club after the international break?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

You keep spelling defence wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Grayditch wrote: »
    There's obviously a reason we didn't make a bid. Maybe the F.A advised us we couldn't/shouldn't. That humiliating public apology was the end, it seems.

Wouldn't surprise me at all with some legal consequences laid out for us.

Having said that we should have still went for a CB in this transfer window. It's the one area that needs fixing badly. Then again, seems we are going to win every game 4-3 or something like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Apparently our centre backs couldn't be improved upon, with up to £70m to spend on a single centre half.

Klopp has left me chuckling at my own doubts before, but I'm still baffled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Coutinho... you bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Liverpool will probably be fine which is the most frustrating thing the more I think about it.

There will a point in the season where not improving the defence will result in Liverpool missing out on trophies or significant progress in the champions league.

It's the way it has been for as long as I can remember.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

brevity wrote: »
    There will a point in the season where not improving the defence will result in Liverpool missing out on trophies or significant progress in the champions league.

It's the way it has been for as long as I can remember.

Yeah sure didnt we win a CL with Djimi in the team so it is possible ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Could be worse..
    untitled-1duyw9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote:
    No doubt the "voice of reason" will be in here telling us when the city result doesn't go our way.

I don't fear City as much as teams that play direct & are big, physical threats from set pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us obviously but they don't play directly towards out weaknesses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Very surprised there isn't more positivity in here this morning- about €150million saved on not buying players yesterday! Wasn't there people in here saying the money should be spent on the stadium instead of players?

Annoyed CD wasn't brought in but still trust Klopp to get it sorted properly down the line rather than going for substandard stop gaps now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

sideswipe wrote: »

Annoyed CD wasn't brought in but still trust Klopp to get it sorted properly down the line rather than going for substandard stop gaps now.

Are you suggesting there was only one CD on the market for £70m or under who would improve us and everyone else would be a stopgap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Not being smart here but ''the more you look at it'''

One look, and a deaf blind man could see that CB pairing have to be amongst the worst out there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll give the window 7/10 assuming Coutinho stays. It would have been 9 if any good centre back had been added. As it is Salah already looks like a steal so progressively mad went player values, Robertson and Solanke clearly have something about them and bagging Keita for what will look like a bargain £55m next summer has been excellent business. Oxlade-Chamberlain is not an obvious one except for his versatility but Klopp knows how to improve a player so I'll trust him.

The players out - farewell Lucas, bye bye Stewart/Wisdom and Sakho looks cheap but he had to go, the loans for Origi and Kent to Wolfsburg and SC Freiburg should be great for both - if they grab the chance they'll be much the better for it. Presumably someone will remember Markovic is somewhere in Melwood and will get a loan for him. Slightly shocked we still have Sturridge and Moreno, in May I was sure they'd both be gone pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nalz wrote: »
    Mostl likely. You reckon he'll be professional and give 100% for his club after the international break?

The consensus is because its a world cup year he'll have little choice but to give 100%.......but I suppose many thought he wouldn't hand in a transfer request either. I think he will personally, but who knows really......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Tusky wrote: »
    Are you suggesting there was only one CD on the market for £70m or under who would improve us and everyone else would be a stopgap?

No. I'm suggesting that the management, Klopp in particular, knows who he wants and is being dogged about it- the Keita signing proves that.

brevity wrote: »

I'm wondering if Klopp didn't care if Coutinho was sold once the money was spent on VVD & Lamar but FSG refused to sell Coutinho.

Nalz wrote: »

Might take him a couple of weeks to get over his sulky, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't buckle down and give him all. As long as he hasn't pissed Klopp off too much, he'll be quickly integrated. I forsee stories of clear that air talks after the international break.

He won't be involved against City though surely. I'd say after that CL game, against Burnley, he might make an appearance. Crowd reaction will be interesting though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What if Liverpool had spent the 70 odd Million on VVD and he could not live up to Liverpools way of playing like Lovern before him.

The defence has kept 7 clean sheets in their last 9 games, yes they are shaking all the time but that is down to the way Liverpool are playing, leaving them more exposed than they are used to, then you can't count for errors, yes we would love every play to play 100% each game but errors can and will happen, just Liverpool defence errors happen close to the goal so more than likely they will lead to a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

People go on about how rubbish our defence is, and at times they are capable of the odd brainfart...(looking at you Lovren and Moreno)... but 7 clean sheets in our last 9 league games is not to be sniffed at. Obviously we needed reinforcement at CB, and to get VVd would have been ideal. But we f*cked that up and since Klopp didnt seem to fancy or couldnt get anyone else, we just move on with what we have. Salah ,who's started brilliantly, Robertson who looked assured on his debut, Solanke who has pushed Origi out of the club already, the Ox who took a 60,000 pay cut to play for our manager and Keita to come next year....I think its been a very good window for us.

The defence has kept 7 clean sheets in their last 9 games...

We have had 5 games so far this season and kept 2 clean sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Coutinho won't miss out on that Brazil squad even if he rots in the reserves for the rest of the season. He's done more than enough over a long qualification to guarantee his place.
    He can have a relaxing season and not over exert himself so he's fresh for the world cup in the summer.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    sorry last 9 league games

Are you just leaving out to the Champions League qualifiers played this season because it doesn't suit your argument? Surely they should be given more weight than games from a few months ago.

Our defence in its current form is a liability and will leak goals. I don't think that can really be debated - there's mountains of evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We have had 5 games so far this season and kept 2 clean sheets.

I am talking in the last 9 league games.

Or you could say 2 clean sheets in their last 3 games

Are you just leaving out to the Champions League qualifiers played this season because it doesn't suit your argument? Surely they should be given more weight than games from a few months ago.

Our defence in its current form is a liability and will leak goals. I don't think that can really be debated - there's mountains of evidence.

They one where we one 6-3 agg, desperate result :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

In the same way that a 5 yard sideways pass or a backwards one to the keeper boosts sakho's amazing passing stats then yep, i'm leaving them out to back up my claim that the defence isnt as bad as it may seem. The mighty Arsenal didnt get a shot on target the last day. Fortress Anfield is back!!

rob316 wrote: »
    They one where we one 6-3 agg, desperate result :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Folks are talking about number of clean sheets kept in the last 9 PL games though, 6 of those games were last season.

We have 2 CL qualifier games from this season not included purely becasue we didn't keep clean sheets.

If we had lads would be speeling on about clean sheets in our last 11 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd say Coutinho's first appearance will be the away game to Man City as a sub, he can come on for the last 10 minutes at 1-3 up in an rapidly empting stadium and it'll be low key but job done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement