Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He should be given an atomic wedgie imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

It seems no one is talking to this guy. He needs to have clear the air talks asap.

How the fcuk would anyone know whether anyone from the management team (or FSG) is talking to Couthinho or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Coutinho has been really badly advised and let down by Barca. He must feel a right eejit.

The fact is that Barca did have the money to make Liverpool an offer that would have been accepted. This was an option to them, but instead they decided to go down the road of getting Coutinho to kick off in the hope this would facilitate a cut price deal. The risk obviously being the situation the player could be left in if it fails.

Coutinho has been left high and dry. More fool him for trying to screw over Liverpool to save Barca a few quid

It's no different than what Liverpool did with VVD. If I was VVD, I'd feel rightly pissed off at LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Benzino wrote: »
    It's no different than what Liverpool did with VVD. If I was VVD, I'd feel rightly pissed off at LFC.

It really isn't though

Liverpool didn't get the player to request a transfer.
    Liverpool didn't get the player's family involved
    Liverpool didn't have their players publicly state that VVD should play for Liverpool
    Liverpool didn't continually bid for a player when told he wasn't for sale and turn the whole thing into a circus with the media
    Liverpool didn't hold a press conference stating Southampton set a price they were unwilling to pay further unsettling the player.

Liverpool even apologized which is pretty much unheard of in football and back on June 7th they clearly stated “We respect Southampton‘s position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.”

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Should also tell him that they will gladly listen to offers for him in less than 9 months, and that he needs to perform and earn his move.

I don't agree with this bit. This is a bit different to the Suarez situation. I'd be reminding him that he just signed a five year contract on purpose and all like and to get fcuking on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

DIirgXFXkAAE_FC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How the fcuk would anyone know whether anyone from the management team (or FSG) is talking to Couthinho or not?

Everything is public these days. I don't care for the details, only the fact that talks are happening or going to happen once he gets back in country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Everything is public these days. I don't care for the details, only the fact that talks are happening or going to happen once he gets back in country.

I disagree with that... with the onslaught of headlines, there's the perception that everything is public, but it's not. No-one knew about the Keita 'next-year' deal until it was done.

The tabloid media in particular has a lot to gain by giving this impression of us being close to the subject, invested in it, and aware of all the going's on, but it's just another way of selling papers, and gaining clicks, the same way as celebrities allow a faux-relationship through social media to gain brand loyalty. It's all to make you feel like you're 'in-on-it".

I daresay plenty of stuff we were sure about, never happened, and plenty of stuff took place that we never heard a peep about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sid Lowe has a thread about the Coutinho/Barca situation and a bit about the Messi contract situation too:D

And, to crown it all, the elephant that's not just in the room but is crapping all over their floor...

https://twitter.com/sidlowe/status/903902239420493824

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

After my post last night, I've changed my mind. I've had a right think about it and arrived at the conclusion I'd prefer Messi on a free transfer next summer instead of Wilshere. Didn't take that decision lightly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

martyos121 wrote: »
    After my post last night, I've changed my mind. I've had a right think about it and arrived at the conclusion I'd prefer Messi on a free transfer next summer instead of Wilshere. Didn't take that decision lightly though.

Ah but have you seen what Wilshire can do in training though? Better than Joe Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You would think that the Coutinho situation would be an eye opener in relation to how the media handle this stuff. It was reported that Liverpool had set their price and a deal had been agreed numerous times, with several unveilings even being arranged yet the reality was that Liverpool never budged in their stance that he wasn't for sale. The papers kept propelling the story and the gullible kept lapping it up thinking it would only be a matter of time until he was waving goodbye. And even up until the last day they were creating stories that a deal was agreed but he wouldn't leave til next year.

Unfortunately the stories about Howedes and Draxler show that fans are still only too willing to believe whatever sh!t is flung at the wall and get upset when it turns out not to be true.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ah but have you seen what Wilshire can do in training though? Better than Joe Cole.

:eek:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Read an article today that every single error that led to a chance last season ended up in a goal for the opposition. Also that we conceded the least amount of chances from open play. Would only reaffirm my opinion that the key upgrade klopp needs to make is to get a better goalkeeper. Mignolet doesn't bale us out enough when he is required to. Conceding from set pieces is obviously a major problem as apart from that defensively we don't get put under huge pressure. With a commanding goalkeeper that the defence believe in I think we would be on 9 from 9 as atleast one of those Watford goals from corners would be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Read an article today that every single error that led to a chance last season ended up in a goal for the opposition. Also that we conceded the least amount of chances from open play. Would only reaffirm my opinion that the key upgrade klopp needs to make is to get a better goalkeeper. Mignolet doesn't bale us out enough when he is required to. Conceding from set pieces is obviously a major problem as apart from that defensively we don't get put under huge pressure. With a commanding goalkeeper that the defence believe in I think we would be on 9 from 9 as atleast one of those Watford goals from corners would be avoided.

Stoke game last season, corner put in and it's cleared to the edge of the box. Wijnaldum tries to head it clear and instead gives it straight to Charlie Adam and Berahino who knock it amongst themselves 6 yards out. Adam finally gets a shot off and Mignolet makes a great reaction save. If that's not an error from Wijnaldum then I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Mig's isn't the best or worst keeper but you're suggesting that he should be held accountable for every goal that the team concedes because of errors made by himself and the 10 lads in front of him.

That's completely bananas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Stoke game last season, corner put in and it's cleared to the edge of the box. Wijnaldum tries to head it clear and instead gives it straight to Charlie Adam and Berahino who knock it amongst themselves 6 yards out. Adam finally gets a shot off and Mignolet makes a great reaction save. If that's not an error from Wijnaldum then I don't know what is.

I'd count it as an error against Charlie Adam.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It really isn't though

Liverpool didn't get the player to request a transfer.
    Liverpool didn't get the player's family involved
    Liverpool didn't have their players publicly state that VVD should play for Liverpool
    Liverpool didn't continually bid for a player when told he wasn't for sale and turn the whole thing into a circus with the media
    Liverpool didn't hold a press conference stating Southampton set a price they were unwilling to pay further unsettling the player.

Liverpool even apologized which is pretty much unheard of in football and back on June 7th they clearly stated “We respect Southampton‘s position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.”

1) You don't know that, it's just your opinion. Klopp met VVD in person, can we really rule out that the club didn't ask him to put in a transfer request either?

2) Again, maybe that was Coutinho's idea?

3) So? Does that really matter? Hardly worst than breaking FIFA rules and meeting the player illegally.

4) Again, so what? Clubs say players aren't for sale all the time. Some mean it, some only say it to strengthen their negotiation position. Red Bull were saying that all summer, didn't stop us bidding 3 times for Kieta however.

5) That was just silly from Barca and obvious to save face in front of their fans.

The apology was only done to prevent a ban, not because we were genuinely sorry. We retracted our interest until somebody else bid for him, which wasn't going to happen as we made sure if it.

At the end of the day. We illegally approached VVD, unsettled him to the point that he isn't training with the first team and we never even put in a bid. We made it public knowledge that he wanted Liverpool, which meant Chelsea and possibly City withdrew their interest.

That's worse than what Barca did in my opinion, we are in no position to judge them this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Mig's isn't the best or worst keeper but you're suggesting that he should be held accountable for every goal that the team concedes because of errors made by himself and the 10 lads in front of him.

That's completely bananas!

I'm not suggesting that at all but I'd be entirely convinced that a better goalkeeper would be worth 8 to 10 points for us over the season. Other people made mistakes also for the Watford 1st and 3rd goals but a better keeper would not have conceded both of those goals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Who's guaranteed to be better than Mignolet and is available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

1) You don't know that, it's just your opinion. Klopp met VVD in person, can we really rule out that the club didn't ask him to put in a transfer request either?

2) Again, maybe that was Coutinho's idea?

3) So? Does that really matter? Hardly worst than breaking FIFA rules and meeting the player illegally.

4) Again, so what? Clubs say players aren't for sale all the time. Some mean it, some only say it to strengthen their negotiation position. Red Bull were saying that all summer, didn't stop us bidding 3 times for Kieta however.

5) That was just silly from Barca and obvious to save face in front of their fans.

The apology was only done to prevent a ban, not because we were genuinely sorry. We retracted our interest until somebody else bid for him, which wasn't going to happen as we made sure if it.

At the end of the day. We illegally approached VVD, unsettled him to the point that he isn't training with the first team and we never even put in a bid. We made it public knowledge that he wanted Liverpool, which meant Chelsea and possibly City withdrew their interest.

That's worse than what Barca did in my opinion, we are in no position to judge them this summer.

Points 2 and 3 are a shift in your stance, initally blaming Liverpool.
    Point 4 indicates that you believe Liverpool didn't do anything underhand (and I agree - there is no problem with multiple increased bids).
    Which leaves us with point 1 (which you say you don't know yourself - and it's possible Kloppp made no attempt to get the player to hand in a transfer request) and point 5 with which you agree.

So you've kind of rebuked your initial point that Liverpool have acted the same way as Barcelona.

As soon as it was clear that Livepool's approaches were unwanted, they backed off.
    As soon as it was clear that Barcelona's approaches were unwanted, they continued to make bids, calls to the media refering to the emptions of a played they allegedly had no contact with, they claimed to have deals done and set up an unveiling date and then claimed that Livepool set a price at the very end of the window (which is extremly unlikely).

I fail to see any similarities.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Points 2 and 3 are a shift in your stance, initally blaming Liverpool.
    Point 4 indicates that you believe Liverpool didn't do anything underhand.
    Which leaves us with point 1 (which you say you don't know yourself - and it's possible Kloppp made no attempt to get the player to hand in a transfer request) and point 5 with which you agree.

So you've kind of rebuked your initial point that Liverpool have acted the same way as Barcelona.

As soon as it was clear that Livepool's approaches were unwanted, they backed off.
    As soon as it was clear that Barcelona's approaches were unwanted, they continued to make bids, calls to the media refering to the emptions of a played they allegedly had no contact with, they claimed to have deals done and set up an unveiling date and then claimed that Livepool set a price at the very end of the window (which is extremly unlikely).

I fail to see any similarities.

Fair enough, I worded my original post wrong. The approach we used was not similar, it was however worse than what Barca did.

I don't get what is so wrong with making bids after a team says he is not for sale. We literally did that this summer with Red Bull. Some clubs don't mean it when they say it, and is more to appease the fans and help get as much as possible for the player.

And let's not be naive, we backed off for fear of getting a transfer ban, not because Southampton wanted us to. Again, look at Red Bull, we still put bids in when they said they were not selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fair enough, I worded my original post wrong. The approach we used was not similar, it was however worse than what Barca did.

In a way, yes. But in another way, is there any difference between a manager unsettling a player and getting players to unsettle a player. Just because soemthing isn't against the rules, doesn't mean it's acceptable or professional.
    I don't get what is so wrong with making bids after a team says he is not for sale. We literally did that this summer with Red Bull. Some clubs don't mean it when they say it, and is more to appease the fans and help get as much as possible for the player.

Nohting. I agree with you here. I have no problem with Barcelona's increased bids.
    And let's not be naive, we backed off for fear of getting a transfer ban, not because Southampton wanted us to. Again, look at Red Bull, we still put bids in when they said they were not selling.

Maybe, but the point is: we backed off. We could have gotten ex-Southampton players to tweet "VVD would make a wonderful addition to our squad" and "Sounthampton are being cruel to stand in his way" - it would have been entirely within the rules - but we didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Really thought, the sakho being a painter not a plumber would have gotten more traction. Losing faith in the thread to be honest.
    I want out.
    Hurling sober now too. That's an autocorrect, over not sober.

In a way, yes. But in another way, is there any difference between a manager unsettling a player and getting players to unsettle a player. Just because soemthing isn't against the rules, doesn't mean it's acceptable or professional.

In my opinion, there is a big difference. If the manager is telling you how he wants you to play, what your role is and what you will achieve if you join, you are much more likely to push for a move and want to leave. He is the guy you will be working for, not the players.
    Maybe, but the point is: we backed off. We could have gotten ex-Southampton players to tweet "VVD would make a wonderful addition to our squad" and "Sounthampton are being cruel to stand in his way" - it would have been entirely within the rules - but we didn't.

It's a classless thing to do, for sure. However I don't think it plays much of a role in making a players mind up, I mean everybody knew he wanted to join Barca, what was said in the media didn't change that.

What we leaked to the media, that VVD wanted LFC, meant that Southampton no longer had a bidding war for him.

I mean let's look at what we did. We unsettled their player who is no longer training with the first team. Made sure there was no other parties interested in him by leaking his preference, and then never even bid for him. We made Southampton's captain not want to play for the club and never even gave them the opportunity to sell (they could have approached clubs of course, but that would seriously weaken their negotiation position). At least Barca gave us the option to get rid of a player that didn't want to be here after they unsettled him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

sabat wrote: »

Your ma

I mean let's look at what we did. We unsettled their player who is no longer training with the first team.
    As did Barcleona.
    Made sure there was no other parties interested in him by leaking his preference, and then never even bid for him.
    As did Barcleona, bar the bid. We couldn't bid.
    We made Southampton's captain not want to play for the club and never even gave them the opportunity to sell (they could have approached clubs of course, but that would seriously weaken their negotiation position).
    How do you know this wasn't the player's choice anyway? In any case, the player chooses where he goes and can turn down teams after a bis is accepted. Case in point, Oxlade-Chamberlain.
    At least Barca gave us the option to get rid of a player that didn't want to be here after they unsettled him.

Key words there being "they unsettled him". I disagre with yoru point that it matters who does the unsettling. An unsettled player is an unsettled player.

In any case, Southampton very myuch had the optinon to chose to sell to us, they chose not to.

I'm not suggesting that at all but I'd be entirely convinced that a better goalkeeper would be worth 8 to 10 points for us over the season. Other people made mistakes also for the Watford 1st and 3rd goals but a better keeper would not have conceded both of those goals.

I reckon klopp is still planning on karius being our first choice keeper.... karius was announced as our #1 last season when he got his chance.

Klopp is a long-term thinker .... I firmly believe he thinks karius will be an upgrade on mig shortly.

Karius must be great in training.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Liverpool .....June 7th they clearly stated “We respect Southampton‘s position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.”

Yet many/most reckon we'll sign him in Jan or next summer. Or even this time last week it was expected he might yet sign the window just gone.

• Advertisement

As did Barcleona.

As did Barcleona, bar the bid. We couldn't bid.

There were no other clubs interested in Coutinho. Why couldn't we bid? There are no rules that say LFC can't bid on SFC players. Of course we could. We didn't for fear of being reported and getting a transfer ban.
    How do you know this wasn't the player's choice anyway? In any case, the player chooses where he goes and can turn down teams after a bis is accepted. Case in point, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Because the player said he wanted to leave? He couldn't leave as nobody bid for him. Chelsea and City didn't bid for him because we leaked he wanted to play for us. I'd imagine VVD would have moved to Chelsea once he knew we were not going to bid for him, but by then they had already moved on (and rightly so).

Our actions made it very difficult for VVD to move this summer.
    Key words there being "they unsettled him". I disagre with yoru point that it matters who does the unsettling. An unsettled player is an unsettled player.

In any case, Southampton very myuch had the optinon to chose to sell to us, they chose not to.

Fair enough, I personally don't understand how you think Barca players talking to the media about Coutinho is just as bad as Klopp meeting VVD, but whatever.

I actually don't care about the unsettling part of either transfer, it's how it was done that I think matters. These aren't 10 year olds, they don't want to up and leave because Pique said he'd be great. I mean we have all known for years that Coutinho would jump at the chance to play for Barca, 99% of players would. Both players wanted the move, the difference is we never made it possible for VVD to move to LFC cause we never bid for him, Barca at least tried to sign Coutinho. I think people would be a lot angrier at Barca if Valverde met with Coutinho instead of a few players talking to the press.

I would never expect SFC to approach Liverpool to see VVD, that would seriously weaken their position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Ward maybe??

We sold a player with a 100% career save percentage to Barcelona for only £65m a few years back. So there's one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Really thought, the sakho being a painter not a plumber would have gotten more traction. Losing faith in the thread to be honest.
    I want out.
    Hurling sober now too. That's an autocorrect, over not sober.

Don't worry, Tipp will be back.

Might take a few years though.

You could go to Galway tonight and try to unsettle a few of their players. Tell them they have Tipp DNA and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Don't worry, Tipp will be back.

Might take a few years though.

You could go to Galway tonight and try to unsettle a few of their players. Tell them they have Tipp DNA and such.

That wouldn't go down too well with their villagers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Thats a question for the transfer committee tbf....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

martyos121 wrote: »
    We sold a player with a 100% career save percentage to Barcelona for only £65m a few years back. So there's one.

Help me out here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Help me out here

Suarez. Stopped the point blank shot against Ghana (I think) in the world cup a few years ago with his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Suarez. Stopped the point blank shot against Ghana (I think) in the world cup a few years ago with his hand.

Took his red like a champ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sick of people still going on about Van Dijk. Brillant player but he hasn't signed & hasn't played a game in 8 months probably won't play again until October & will need time to get back to his best.

Joe Gomez has been superb this season so far. He has been at RB but he has the attributes to be a very good CB for us.
    We need to hope we don't get too many injuries.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sick of people still going on about Van Dijk..................

I think he's starkly over rated and won't fix our problems but a credible alternative would have done nicely.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Augeo wrote: »
    I think he's starkly over rated and won't fix our problems but a credible alternative would have done nicely.

I agree on both counts. If we drop silly points due to defensive mistakes, it'll be use as a stick to beat Klopp I'd say, and it'll have been a stick he made himself mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

At the moment, things are somewhat similar to under Rodgers tbh... Just a bit better.

Sterling/ Sturridge/ Suarez to Mane/ Firmino/ Salah. i.e pacy attack with wingers, team more attack focused, poor defence. Panic the opposition and outscore them.

Midfield is a bit better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Coutinho has been named in the Champions League squad is starting to be reported.

Wolfsburg will also have to pay a penalty fee if they don't play Origi enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Coutinho has been named in the Champions League squad is starting to be reported.

Wolfsburg will also have to pay a penalty fee if they don't play Origi enough.

Once we didn't sell him, he was always going to be named in the CL squad. It'd make zero sense otherwise to have so doggedly refused to sell.

On the Origi thing, apparently the 6m fee reported is 2.5m guaranteed, the other 3.5m is if he doesn't play 80% of games, presumably excluding being injured. Makes sense.

Bold prediction but Joe Gomez will be starting for us by the end of the season, and it'll have nothing to do with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pele: Coutinho can win Ballon d’Or at Liverpool
    He was asked about Neymar’s chances of joining Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka as Brazilians who have won the Ballon d’Or and he volunteered the name of the Liverpool midfielder.

He told Marca: “Neymar has a football at his feet which is all he needs. Coutinho is a player I think we should all look at too because he is excellent for his team. No doubts at the moment though that Neymar is the one.”

When asked whether Coutinho needed to move to Spain, Pele replied: “No. You don’t necessarily have to change teams all the time to prove you are good. It all depends on taking your opportunities.

http://www.football365.com/news/pele-coutinho-can-win-ballon-dor-at-liverpool

Bold prediction but Joe Gomez will be starting for us by the end of the season, and it'll have nothing to do with injuries.

that would be great as it would mean he turns out to be a better CB than Lovren :)
    There are varying degrees of great of course, time will tell :)

Clyne's not been included in the squad for the CL Group Stage, this injury must be really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Clyne's not been included in the squad for the CL Group Stage, this injury must be really bad.

He has been included in the squad I have seen anyway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement