Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Grand so. I'm not Irish so don't feel I have to watch the Serbia game.

I guess you're not Serbian then either eh? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

��Congratulations @22mosalah on winning #LFC August Player of the Month and congratulations on winning it next month and in Oct, Nov & Dec ��

https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/905079993381859328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Damn FSG selling him after Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Can we pool our resources together? Can increase his output them. Going forward.

I'll put you in touch with my Procurement team, once they're done with the quarterly GIF tendering. Fierce busy time for them, poor ****ers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I believe Harry predates the nations of the world :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yawns wrote: »
    I believe Harry predates the nations of the world :D

Passport just says Pangea.

edit: wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

corwill wrote: »
    I'll put you in touch with my Procurement team, once they're done with the quarterly GIF tendering. Fierce busy time for them, poor ****ers.

I just have a student on a MacBook copying and pasting them. Basically my version of cash only sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Woodburn gets the assist! Bad for Ireland though :(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Grand so. I'm not Irish so don't feel I have to watch the Serbia game.

You must be here at least a hundred years then with phrases like Grand so in regular use.

You'll have to tell us where you are actually from soon.

I'll start. I'm Irish. You next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It sends a shiver down the spine to think that MON was once being talked up as a possible manager of LFC.

Fun Bobby starts for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Woodburn gets the assist! Bad for Ireland though :(

https://imgtc.com/w/JiZ6JGz

Not bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mosstin wrote: »
    It sends a shiver down the spine to think that MON was once being talked up as a possible manager of LFC.

This thread wouldn't exist because we'd all have died of boredom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

One of the best responses was when someone asked what would ye say to MON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sword1 wrote: »
    It's not all about money with can I think. If his girlfriend is Italian the juventus move would make more sense. No way he is going to another Premier league club.The only thing left to see is if the club takes a small fee in January or let's him go free in July. Hopefully free in July.

I really hate this crap with footballers taking instructions from their wags on where their next move is. We had the same sh1t with Suarezs bird too. Can and Suarez are like crazed dogs when theyre on the pitch but they must turn into scared puppies when they get home or something.

I cant really blame Suarez heading to Barca but Can to Juventus makes fcuk all sense to me. Seria A is such an uncompetitive boring league and he will be playing to half empty stadiums more often than not. Compared to what he has now it hardly looks that enticing. Unless of course his girlfriend spending his money in Turin and Milan is more important to him than his short career and until she gets her move to Italy she is withholding blowies from him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I really hate this crap with footballers taking instructions from their wags on where their next move is. We had the same sh1t with Suarezs bird too. Can and Suarez are like crazed dogs when theyre on the pitch but they must turn into scared puppies when they get home or something.

I cant really blame Suarez heading to Barca but Can to Juventus makes fcuk all sense to me. Seria A is such an uncompetitive boring league and he will be playing to half empty stadiums more often than not. Compared to what he has now it hardly looks that enticing. Unless of course his girlfriend spending his money in Turin and Milan is more important to him than his short career and until she gets her move to Italy she is withholding blowies from him :rolleyes:

I was wondering whatever happened to Jim Davidson.

corwill wrote: »
    I was wondering whatever happened to Jim Davidson.

Im not saying he has to give her a black eye or anything, just tell her to go shopping in John Lewis and House of Fraser for a few more years. I wouldnt mind but she is already playing outside her league and now it seems she is steering the dreamboat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Woodburn was terrific, nearly set up an assist with his first move, excellent use of the ball, unlike say Robson-kanu who scored from woodies cross but is very selfish with the ball at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

If Can is happy to move to another country for the sake of his other half's happiness I can respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

If Can is willing to leave his other half for the good of Liverpool FC, I can understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Bobby off after 62'. Please tell me that's a tactical switch?

It's being reported tonight the reason Can hasn't agreed a new contract yet is he wants a buyout clause in it and the club won't put one in.

I guess he sees what's going on with Coutinho and doesn't want that to happen him.

I'd say he wants a low buyout price.

€150m seems about right to me.

Don't blame him to be honest, if I were him I'd tell the club I want a rolling 1 year contract and 120k basic. If they value him they'll do it - if not he'll walk. The era of 5/6 year contracts really needs to be ended - the player's movements are restricted while club's only concern is getting the best price possible for a player.

Players want long contracts to provide a safety net in case of injury.

Running contract down is a risk, a rolling one year contract is lunacy... you'd struggle to find a footballer thick enough to want one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Augeo wrote: »
    Players want long contracts to provide a safety net in case of injury.

Running contract down is a risk, a rolling one year contract is lunacy... you'd struggle to find a footballer thick enough to want one.

Depends on what kind of insurance they can get. Thats always been the trade off tho security for freedom of movement.

If Can is happy to move to another country for the sake of his other half's happiness I can respect that.

I can respect it too but Im not very happy with it. If she really loves him then why not do what is best for his career rather than moaning that she wants to go back to Italy? If she was saying Emre its either Barca, Real or PSG for you I could understand that. But instead this seems to be a move to Juve just to keep her happy. If he goes there I hope he is happy playing in front of half empty stadiums and having Jogi Low thinking he is not playing football at a level that is good enough to keep him in the German team. Yep his girlfriend will be happy going home to Italy, but what about his happiness? His career isnt that long and could stop to a shudder with any bad injury. They will still have the rest of their lives to live in Italy when he is retired at 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Playing for Juve wouldn't be at a level to keep him in the German team? In the last four years they made it the final and semi-final of the Champions League. They've won the last six Scudetto's, they are by all measures, currently a better team than Liverpool.

mosstin wrote: »
    Bobby off after 62'. Please tell me that's a tactical switch?

Apparently it was just tactical. Coutinho got 15 mins

Salah scored tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I can respect it too but Im not very happy with it. If she really loves him then why not do what is best for his career rather than moaning that she wants to go back to Italy? If she was saying Emre its either Barca, Real or PSG for you I could understand that. But instead this seems to be a move to Juve just to keep her happy. If he goes there I hope he is happy playing in front of half empty stadiums and having Jogi Low thinking he is not playing football at a level that is good enough to keep him in the German team. Yep his girlfriend will be happy going home to Italy, but what about his happiness? His career isnt that long and could stop to a shudder with any bad injury. They will still have the rest of their lives to live in Italy when he is retired at 35.

It's easy to argue that Juve is a step up from Liverpool.

And with the resurgence of both Milan clubs, Roma and Napoli, it's about to be more competitive than it's been for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The vibe of doom has left this thread. We were poor against Watford, struggled against Palace and then played The Invisibles .
    I think the true reflection were the Watford and Palace games though. City game should be interesting, both teams will score 2 , it's who ever scores more than 2 that will win.
    How did Mane not get player of Aug. Salah is hit and miss, score and snore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's easy to argue that Juve is a step up from Liverpool.

And with the resurgence of both Milan clubs, Roma and Napoli, it's about to be more competitive than it's been for years.

Juve are a step up from PSG. Always have been. PSG just have more moneh now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

ballyargus wrote: »
    Juve are a step up from PSG. Always have been. PSG just have more moneh now.

Most would have said similar about Ajax relative to Man City 10'years ago, or AC Milan and Chelsea a few years before that.

The wealth of a club generally equates to its standing. Look at the rise in standing of City and Chelsea, as well as the run of the mill English clubs relative to the rest of Europe. At this rate, it won't be long before PSG replace Barca as the default dream move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Most would have said similar about Ajax relative to Man City 10'years ago, or AC Milan and Chelsea a few years before that.

The wealth of a club generally equates to its standing. Look at the rise in standing of City and Chelsea, as well as the run of the mill English clubs relative to the rest of Europe. At this rate, it won't be long before PSG replace Barca as the default dream move.

PSG will overtake them pretty soon alright one would imagine with the amount they're spending, but for right now, in their recent, and direct histories, Juve are more successful. Juve consistently outperforming PSG in the champions league year on year, and winning their own league every year.

Playing for Juve wouldn't be at a level to keep him in the German team? In the last four years they made it the final and semi-final of the Champions League. They've won the last six Scudetto's, they are by all measures, currently a better team than Liverpool.

Yeah but them winning the last six Seria As just shows us what an uncompetitive league it is. Italy now has 4 CL places so I cant see Juve dropping out of the top 4 until whenever it is that their next match fixing scandal comes along.

Im not denigrating their achievements in the CL, just saying that merely by them having CL on such a permanent and easy basis it seems to make players want to go there automatically. But for Can he has CL at Liverpool right now and he can have it again next season if he puts a shift in for for us. Or he can have it at Juve but also have to play loads of walk in the park fixtures in Seria A against the likes of Benevento and Sasuolo FC.

My point is that if he wants to play in a competitive league then he already plays in the most competitive league in the PL. If he wants to go a grade up then a good club in La Liga is the place for him. Pissing about in Seria A is below his talents imo. And while Id be surprised if he lost his place in the German team at the same time another German player could usurp him if theyre playing just as well as Can but doing it regularly against better opposition.

...............Italy now has 4 CL places................

That would suggest the Italian league shall get more competitive over the coming years.
    The way you speak of the Italian league you seem to think it's like the SPL (it's not of course)

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Depends on what kind of insurance they can get. Thats always been the trade off tho security for freedom of movement.

Release clause is the key there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Augeo wrote: »
    That would suggest the Italian league shall get more competitive over the coming years.
    The way you speak of the Italian league you seem to think it's like the SPL (it's not of course)

Yeah AC Milan under new ownership have made significant investment this summer so I would expect to see them coming back on the European stage in the next two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Good interview with Jose Enrique.

Easy to forget what a good player he was before his injuries

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-enrique-secret-liverpool-agony-13579274
    Jose Enrique has revealed the agony that plagued his final years at Liverpool after announcing his retirement from football aged 31.

But the Spaniard has thanked Jurgen Klopp for the “honour” of being made Reds captain on his last-ever start for the club.

Enrique, who has been without a club since being released by Real Zaragoza in the summer, has chosen to hang up his boots having been hampered by a long-standing knee injury.

The Spaniard struggled with the problem during the final years of his Anfield career, making only 21 appearances in his last three seasons at the club.

And Enrique has revealed to what extent the injury affected not only his fitness, but also his mental state.

“Something that was supposed to be for three months ended up turning into two years,” he said. “I saw five doctors in England, but they did not get the problem.

“I'm still not quite right, either physically or mentally, but I feel like starting from scratch.

“I could not play without medication, I did not even train. It was hard, desperate, sometimes I got dizzy in training on so much medication.

“After every game or effort, my knee swelled like a ball and I was barely able to walk for three days.

“It hurt me, but of so many times that they told me it was a psychological problem I came to believe it.”

As a consequence, Enrique went without treatment for a week ahead of the home game against Crystal Palace in November 2013.

“I ended up only training on the Friday and I went 15 minutes without medication and I could only go in a straight line, I could not turn,” said Enrique, who featured for the full match but ended up playing only a further 29 minutes that season.

Jurgen Klopp with Jose Enrique
    Jurgen Klopp with Jose Enrique (Image: James Maloney)
    Enrique then travelled to Spain for an operation, but admitted: “I was never the same, it was frustrating. I was three months playing with a damaged meniscus. I had to escape to Spain, because I could not even walk.

“I could not compete and I had a terrible time. It affected me a lot because I wanted to play and could not.

“I had an anxiety attack thinking 'what the hell is wrong with me?' I did not understand it.”

Speaking to Spanish news outlet Marca, Enrique admitted his final year at Liverpool under Klopp was “horrible”, although the painful memory was eased slightly by being named captain for his final starts for the Reds in the FA Cup ties against Exeter City.

“The worst moments of my life were under Klopp because, being well, I knew I could play some games, but he was sincere with me,” said the Spaniard, who made 99 appearances and scored twice for the Reds.

“Klopp let me be captain of Liverpool in my farewell, an honor for which I will always be grateful.”

Explaining his decision to retire, Enrique said: “I want to be an older man who can walk, not an invalid.”

Was at Anfield for Enrique's first goal, along with a couple of belters from Suarez, was never fantastic but I'll miss watching him spin around in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

If that's true, odd that we won't give him it. Better to have him stay for a few more years and leave for a set fee instead of leaving for free next year.

Benzino wrote: »
    If that's true, odd that we won't give him it. ........

Indeed, club can't really say well we kept Coutinho as he didn't have a release clause as Can can just leave on a free next Summer so it's not at all analogous to Coutinho situation.

Throwing a 5 year £120k/week contract at him with a £50/60m release clause and job done.

Unless he wants a looney low amount to trigger the release, if Italy is his destination of choice he might be wary of the Italians not splashing the cash.

To be fair to Can, he's honouring his current contract and he's on modest wages & cost us practically nothing so we can't really complain if he wants to leave next Summer for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No issue with a reasonable release clause.....tbh if I was a player signing a contract I'd probably insist on one, especially if you are negotiating from a strong position like Can is now.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

The only thing I can think of that is stopping them is that it will set a precedent. If can puts in a clause it could become the norm for likes of Woodburn etc who could be future superstars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

So did coutinho board the plane back to Liverpool.

sword1 wrote: »
    ............ If can puts in a clause it could become the norm for likes of Woodburn etc who could be future superstars.

I don't think a release clause is a bad thing in a contract. Like the salary, it must be mutually agreeable for both club and player.

If it's not agreeable than players won't sign :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Realistic release clauses might be better, the transfer fees clubs are setting are insane for the most part. I'd definitely insist on one if I was negotiating a contract.

Makes no sense not to give can one, if it is triggered in the summer we will atleast get a fee for him, we get nothing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I say give him his release clause but try to make it a decent amount. 60 million how and if possible have it rise to 80/90 million in a couple of years. That way we are protected from the rising transfer fees.

I don't mind if he wants a release fee. As long as he doesn't leave for peanuts and..... he doesn't leave yet of course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement