Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mr.H wrote: »
    Yet we bought Alex after it started and it didn't affect the team

Alox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

DrumSteve wrote:
    It had one of the lads crying in south America ffs.

Haha screw him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I wonder will Coutinho's back pain return around Christmas and the New Year?

I can't imagine he would think that Liverpool would sell him mid-season.

I think he knows he's here now until next Summer at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Also sad to hear about 360. Got shocking abuse on here while injured, hopefully things work out for him.

Himself and Wijnaldum in the same team spinning in circles while opposition players try in vain to get the ball would have been a sight to behold.

We would be dizzy with excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Just wait until a major player suffers a long term injury on the opening week and can't be replaced and there is uproar to change it back.

No different to a major player suffering a long term injury on the day after the current deadline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Once hep lays in the Champions league then the transfer is off till next summer,
    Window closing early is great leaves everyone know where they stand before a game is played, clubs will refuse to sell players and have the excuse they can't replace them ,
    Deals like the OX deal would be done as Arsenal themselves would want it sorted quicker they only hold out so long in the hope someone else comes in with a higher offer, which we did and I presume we only did so when we realised Lemar could not be got , If we'd have got Lemar we'd have waited  for Ox to be free next summer or cheaper in Jan ,.
    Would you not think that maybe the mangers and clubs who voted for this  may have a better idea then a the experts on boards haha

No different to a major player suffering a long term injury on the day after the current deadline

Indeed
    Would you not think that maybe the mangers and clubs who voted for this  may have a better idea then a the experts on boards haha

Indeed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

this lad's got the answer, shut down the forum there's no more discussion to be had, they know better than us anyway.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Won't stop jutting-browed simians of the Savage/Crooks/Merson ilk moaning-for-pay, nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

this lad's got the answer, shut down the forum there's no more discussion to be had, they know better than us anyway.

:p

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Would you not think that maybe the mangers and clubs who voted for this may have a better idea then a the experts on boards haha

Excuse me, but i'm fully edumacated in championship manager.
    I'll have you know i once managed Barnet to a league and champions league double and i also won the world cup managing France all in the same year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Interesting comments by klopp on Coutinho today. Think he is letting him know he needs to earn his place back in the team and not just expect to walk back into it.
    Think it could be a while before he features from the start anyway

,. Would you not think that maybe the mangers and clubs who voted for this may have a better idea then a the experts on boards haha

Actually this rule change proves they don't.....

It was a majority that voted for but not all voted for. Statements like that are ridiculous.

You can already buy and sell players before the season starts.

One of the biggest whingers of the window was pep and he done business coming toward the last day. I mean FFS if your that against it why do you do the opposite of what you preach.

Wenger is another pro-stupid idea clown, how often does he whinge about it yet always waits until August to do his business. Nothing stopping him from doing it early.

These morons just use this as an excuse and when the fees go up again next summer as a result, they will find new excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nah I prefer it this way. For Fantasy Football alone.

I'd be fine with it if uefa just add the transfer window just June July and January. Then every club in UEFAs jurisdiction would have the exact same restrictions.

Personally I would get rid of the window altogether and leave players register for clubs all season long. You could close registration with 10 games to go or whatever the way it use to be done.

Transfer windows just drive prices up and shorter windows make the prices more expensive. January is a perfect example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

It's good on one hand, but it gives other leagues the chance to push for moves from clubs that can't buy in replacements. I would love the other euro countries to copy it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Annoying that Senegal have to replay a world cup qualifier against South Africa. I assume that fixture will just be replacing a scheduled friendly or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Actually this rule change proves they don't.....

It was a majority that voted for but not all voted for. Statements like that are ridiculous.

You can already buy and sell players before the season starts.

One of the biggest whingers of the window was pep and he done business coming toward the last day. I mean FFS if your that against it why do you do the opposite of what you preach.

Wenger is another pro-stupid idea clown, how often does he whinge about it yet always waits until August to do his business. Nothing stopping him from doing it early.

These morons just use this as an excuse and when the fees go up again next summer as a result, they will find new excuses.

Because you push for the rules you want, while obeying the ones that are in place. Would be foolish to do otherwise.

I'm all for this rule change anyway. One team can end up looking very different in September than it does in August, which is fundamentally against the point of a league structure. I know the same thing happens with January, but at least it's fairly evenly broken up into the first cycle of games, and the repeat fixtures around that time. The more balanced and fair the competition is, the better.

All the same things will happen, the same deadline day moves will occur, they'll just happen a few weeks earlier now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Also sad to hear about 360. Got shocking abuse on here while injured, hopefully things work out for him.

Himself and Wijnaldum in the same team spinning in circles while opposition players try in vain to get the ball would have been a sight to behold.

Carragher put up on his twitter that he was blocked by Enrique.

This the same day he retired & revealed the problems he had with injuries.

Carragher often doesn't come across well on social media.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    All the same things will happen, the same deadline day moves will occur, they'll just happen a few weeks earlier now.

Do you not agree that shortening the window coups increase player prices yet again. Example January is a short window. If teams have even less time to replace players they will want top buck. Especially with less time to negotiate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do you not agree that shortening the window coups increase player prices yet again. Example January is a short window. If teams have even less time to replace players they will want top buck. Especially with less time to negotiate

Your example is not relevant.

Prices are higher in January because clubs don't want to lose a player half way through a season, not because it's a shorter window

Wouldn't agree. In January the issue isn't the amount of time available, it's that you're in the middle of the season and you pay a premium to interrupt someone else's momentum.

Prices have gone up purely because income in football has gone up. Apparently the increase of spending in the league this year is almost exactly the same % increase as the TV income - around 23%

As with everything, the amount of work needed to be done generally fits into the time allotted. If you allow 3 months, clubs will take 3 months. If you allow 2, they'll be active earlier, but the same work gets done. And I don't believe there's any rule against two clubs having a chat before the window opens to suss out potential deals so everyone can be on the same page with regards who needs ot be replaced etc. If it forces clubs to be more responsible early on it can only be a good thing - we all want to see teams at the start of the season that have had time to gel together a bit first.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Carragher put up on his twitter that he was blocked by Enrique.

This the same day he retired & revealed the problems he had with injuries.

Carragher often doesn't come across well on social media.

Think that's just Carragher tbh, social media or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Rumour has it that livinginkorea is now qualified to teach Italian, the fekker:mad:
    HTTP3N0cmVhbTEuZ2lmc291cC5jb20vdmlldzcvMzI2MDM5OC9pLW0td2F0Y2hpbmcteW91LW8uZ2lm.gif

The company does actually have Italian offices! :eek::eek::eek:

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Prices have gone up purely because income in football has gone up. Apparently the increase of spending in the league this year is almost exactly the same % increase as the TV income - around 23%

I really feel that because of the issues o highlighted that prices will jump yet again, independent of l4l with TV revenue.

Teams won't have as much time so everything will have to be done quicker. This can only push prices in one direction.

I'm totally against this change (as I'm sure you can tell) but only time will say if it works out for the better.

I just can't see how putting restraints on yourself is a positive.

It would be like a boxer saying he is only going bot use one hand. He is hoping other boxers will follow suite but for now is he gonna get pummelled.

You can already choose to have your business done before the season kicks off. You will still be able to not sell if you don't want. The only thing that changes is you have a shorter time to get it done. That means paying whatever the seller wants

The company does actually have Italian offices! :eek::eek::eek:

Can you not just send him a text or Facebook message on behalf of all of us telling him to stay? Or would that be some weird Student/Teacher abuse of power situation?

From what I read on the bbc website the summer window won't be shorter. It will be the same length but it will start earlier and therefore end before the start of the season.
    [font=ReithSans, Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]The early finish will not mean the Premier League's transfer window is shorter as it will start earlier and be 12 weeks long, in line with Fifa rules[/font]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41188235

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

eyerer wrote: »
    From what I read on the bbc website the summer window won't be shorter. It will be the same length but it will start earlier and therefore end before the start of the season.

The problem seemed to always be that when the season finished there was an international qualifier still to play or else an international tournament and those who weren't going on international duty went on holidays at the end of May start of June as well as other people at clubs.

So instead of using the time in May and June efficiently everything seemed to be left to July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Can you not just send him a text or Facebook message on behalf of all of us telling him to stay? Or would that be some weird Student/Teacher abuse of power situation?

Dear Emre,

Hope this message finds you well. Remember all the good times we had a few summers ago when you moved to Liverpool and had a crash course in football English in Frankfurt - all the footie lingo, told you all about the S**, formations, drills, history of the club and the Scouse accent. Oh how we laughed. Even went over injuries to show how much I care. Got some amount of free drinks from the lads then, a few telephone numbers from the ladies too, happy times. Completely milking it I am.

Anyway, drop me a line when you are back in Frankfurt and we'll get a few scoops. Like the good old times. Yourself and your hair.

Regards,
    Your English Instructor

P.S. DON'T leave! Don't even try it. Frankfurt ain't that big!

Bound to work. Definitely can't fail.

I really feel that because of the issues o highlighted that prices will jump yet again, independent of l4l with TV revenue.

Teams won't have as much time so everything will have to be done quicker. This can only push prices in one direction.

I'm totally against this change (as I'm sure you can tell) but only time will say if it works out for the better.

I just can't see how putting restraints on yourself is a positive.

It would be like a boxer saying he is only going bot use one hand. He is hoping other boxers will follow suite but for now is he gonna get pummelled.

You can already choose to have your business done before the season kicks off. You will still be able to not sell if you don't want. The only thing that changes is you have a shorter time to get it done. That means paying whatever the seller wants

It's a positive for the league because there's parity amongst the teams playing each other. Someone doesn't get an easier ride because they played a top team before they brought in a superstar on deadline day. Watford might have faced a Liverpool team with Coutinho for instance, and could have lost as a result.

Ideally, i'd like the window to be June and July, and leave it at that. We already know how quickly deals get done when they're needed to get done - you don't need 3 months.

I know what you mean about England now being on a different playing field than the others - but I think England is the country that can pull this off, because it's the league with the money. Already, English clubs get charged more for imports than anyone else, because they have the higher income - this deadline change means that a Spanish/French/Italian/German club has to sell before the english deadline, or else the value of the player will drop, as no-one else can afford it anyway.

I just don't see that spending will go up, because spending is always a consequence of earnings. If more is being charged, the deal won't happen. Just as plenty of deals didn't happen this summer when exorbitant asking prices that didn't fit into pricing structures weren't met.

The occasional individual deal may cost more where an English club decides it's worth it longer term (just as other deals will cost less when a foreign clubs agree to a late window deal for less than an English club could potentially pay, but for more than another foreign club will pay - so they can spend the proceeds in the extra time they get in their own window), but on the whole i'd be very confident that spending will continue to operate with the same ratio to income as it always has.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out though, and if other countries follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dear Emre,

Hope this message finds you well. Remember all the good times we had a few summers ago when you moved to Liverpool and had a crash course in football English in Frankfurt - all the footie lingo, told you all about the S**, formations, drills, history of the club and the Scouse accent. Oh how we laughed. Even went over injuries to show how much I care. Got some amount of free drinks from the lads then, a few telephone numbers from the ladies too, happy times. Completely milking it I am.

Anyway, drop me a line when you are back in Frankfurt and we'll get a few scoops. Like the good old times. Yourself and your hair.

Regards,
    Your English Instructor

P.S. DON'T leave! Don't even try it. Frankfurt ain't that big!

Bound to work. Definitely can't fail.

Not all heroes wear capes.

That was beautiful man.

Knex. wrote: »
    Not all heroes wear capes.

That was beautiful man.

How do you know he's not wearing a cape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

giphy.gif

brevity wrote: »
    giphy.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNsCezEdYTjdMyiAWKXkty3MDCQ5WxnC1-HBsG9wC5MQxq6FbExw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

eyerer wrote: »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41188235

Haha, so we can get the jump on Johnny Foreigner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5starpool wrote: »
    Annoying that Senegal have to replay a world cup qualifier against South Africa. I assume that fixture will just be replacing a scheduled friendly or something?

Nope will be fit in with the next round of games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Haha, so we can get the jump on Johnny Foreigner?

Does nothing all it does is stop English teams buying to or from English teams but can still lose players to European teams so does nothing to stop the situation like Countinho and Barca

I think it's because he means the English window will be open before the other countries come summertime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The window will still be pants unless all the major European leagues agree to finish earlier and at the same time.

• Advertisement

Does nothing all it does is stop English teams buying to or from English teams but can still lose players to European teams so does nothing to stop the situation like Countinho and Barca

I think it does to be honest. It's very easy to say 'no' to a sale when you literally are not even allowed to replace the player, without looking like a bad guy.

The issue will come in with release clauses, as was mentioned. They'll need to be adjusted to only be applicable when the EPL window is open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I like the new rule. Get all the new players in before season kicks off, less anguish over the likes of VVD & Lemar like we had this season.

Others have made the point we could still end up selling a player till end August, but if we have done our incoming business with a certain squad formation in mind, then we will hardly be selling any important 1st team players after that point. Besides, when Klopp says no he means N000000!

Oh yeah and I couldn't give a monkeys if it puts the EPL at a financial disadvantage to other leagues, I'm not one bit invested in the financial well being of EPL in comparison to other leagues (as long as it doesn't implode completely of course and we have no EPL at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

garra wrote: »
    I like the new rule. Get all the new players in before season kicks off, less anguish over the likes of VVD & Lemar like we had this season.

Others have made the point we could still end up selling a player till end August, but if we have done our incoming business with a certain squad formation in mind, then we will hardly be selling any important 1st team players after that point. Besides, when Klopp says no he means N000000!

That's where the release clause will cause problems. Firmino is 83 million iirc, if a club meets that in August we have no opportunity to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

sword1 wrote: »
    That's where the release clause will cause problems. Firmino is 83 million iirc, if a club meets that in August we have no opportunity to replace him

Fair point, will need to be addressed in future contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

I fancy us against city so had a quick look on PaddyPower to see if the prices were worth a bet.
    We're 31/10 to win, was surprised at that, was guessing 7/4, 2/1 max.
    Seems like value to me, on all the overs for goals as well of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I fancy us against city so had a quick look on PaddyPower to see if the prices were worth a bet.
    We're 31/10 to win, was surprised at that, was guessing 7/4, 2/1 max.
    Seems like value to me, on all the overs for goals as well of course!

Just stuck on a bet for us to win and both teams to score 9/2. Hopefully it goes better than my 5-3 prediction for the Arsenal game at 250-1 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Karius going to be CL goalkeeper according to Joyce

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

paulie21 wrote: »

I think Klopp reeeaaaalllly wants him to come good.

paulie21 wrote: »

Ridiculous if true...back 4 and GK shouldn't be changed from game to game depending on it being PL or CL.

We are bad enough at set pieces (and the rest) without adding more variation to our defensive system.

It's the CL too not the fecking league cup like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'm kinda ok with Karius in goal.

As much as i love the CL the PL is more important to keep up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Last time a team used a German goalkeeper exclusively in the Champions League, it worked out pretty nice for them. ;)

Shame they've turned into a bunch of sleazy rats since though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement