Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

paulie21 wrote: »
    Karius going to be CL goalkeeper according to Joyce

That would be very unfair. Surely Mignolet earned it? Karius should be the League Cup/ FA Cup keeper.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    ............ Surely Mignolet earned it? Karius should be the League Cup/ FA Cup keeper.

Indeed, Karius announced as #1 GK last October and Mig dropped to the bench, Karius did nothing but play poorly and Mig was reinstated in Dec iirc.

Karius than gets the CL games (allegedly) this season. If Karius wasn't dropped in Dec I doubt we'd be in the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

There was a lot of positive reviews about Klarius coming from Germany and from Mainz (which is the nearest Bundesliga team to me - although I would watch FCK but they are very poor now, propping up the 2.Liga). He was going to be the next big goalkeeper and he can play with his feet, which is what Klopp wants too. I understand the reasoning behind it, offers more options for the defense and keep the speed of play going. However, he needs more time to settle in. Obviously, he must be decent enough in training to be given a second and third chance. He needs more game time too. CL, I'm not so sure of. Klopp is patient to try him again so I'll go with that for some games.

Having said that, Mig has looked pretty consistent now for a while so bringing Klarius in was the kick up the backside he definitely needed. He's not perfect but his shot stopping and penalty stats are decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

martyos121 wrote: »
    Last time a team used a German goalkeeper exclusively in the Champions League, it worked out pretty nice for them. ;)

Shame they've turned into a bunch of sleazy rats since though.
    That's very harsh on rats, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

There was a lot of positive reviews about Klarius coming from Germany and from Mainz (which is the nearest Bundesliga team to me - although I would watch FCK but they are very poor now, propping up the 2.Liga). He was going to be the next big goalkeeper and he can play with his feet, which is what Klopp wants too. I understand the reasoning behind it, offers more options for the defense and keep the speed of play going. However, he needs more time to settle in. Obviously, he must be decent enough in training to be given a second and third chance. He needs more game time too. CL, I'm not so sure of. Klopp is patient to try him again so I'll go with that for some games.

Having said that, Mig has looked pretty consistent now for a while so bringing Klarius in was the kick up the backside he definitely needed. He's not perfect but his shot stopping and penalty stats are decent.

Ideally, we'd have a clear no. 1 keeper settled in the position. The only arguments I could see being made in favour of this rotation policy would be that perhaps Mig needs to be kept on his toes to keep him at the level he's gotten up to recently, and that the hand injury he was recovering from back in pre-season last year meant we haven't seen the best of Karius yet. So we might see a non complacent Mig spurred on to higher standards, and Karius repaying Klopp's faith in him.

Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool's UEFA Youth League Squad
    Tournament phase 1

Goalkeepers
    Kamil Grabara
    Ben Williams
    Daniel Atherton
    Vitezslav Jaros

Defenders
    Patrik Raitanen
    Thomas Clayton
    Rhys Williams
    Anthony Driscoll-Glennon
    Amr Badhawi
    Conor Masterson
    George Johnston
    Jack Walls
    Remmi Savage
    Matthew Rain
    Niall Brookwell

Midfielders
    Owen Beck
    Jack Bearne
    Samuel Durrant
    Leighton Clarkson
    Jake Cain
    Herbie Kane
    Adam Lewis
    Jordan Hunter
    Liam Coyle
    Rafael Camacho
    Neco Williams
    Abdulrahman Sharif
    Edvard Sandvik Tagseth
    Paul Glatzel
    Elijah Dixon-Bonner
    Luis Longstaff
    Curtis Jones
    Bobby Adekanye

Forwards
    Daniel Griffiths
    Ben Woodburn
    Okera Simmonds
    Rhian Brewster
    Liam Millar
    Glen McAuley
    Fidel O'Rourke

I lot of obscure (and rather brilliant!) names in there - who seem to be from the U16s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Apart from Woodburn,Masterson & Brewster. I know nothing about the rest of those players.

Liverpool's UEFA Youth League Squad

I lot of obscure (and rather brilliant!) names in there - who seem to be from the U16s

I particularly love Fidel O'Rourke

MD1990 wrote: »
    Apart from Woodburn,Masterson & Brewster. I know nothing about the rest of those players.

The ones I have heard of and seen who I'd expect to play a big part -

Kamil Grabara
    Conor Masterson
    Thomas Clayton
    Herbie Kane
    Adam Lewis
    Liam Coyle
    Rafael Camacho
    Edvard Sandvik Tagseth
    Elijah Dixon-Bonner
    Curtis Jones
    Bobby Adekanye
    Ben Woodburn
    Rhian Brewster
    Liam Millar
    Glen McAuley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Karius in goals in a league cup game is fine. To play him in goals for the CL and swapping out keepers is an awful idea. Arsenal didn't have a shot on target when he was in goals and he was still our worse player by far nearly ****ing up twice with distribution. I get he's young and needs games but he has done nothing as far as I can see that warrants a place over even Ward for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I particularly love Fidel O'Rourke

If he isn't Irish the FAI need to be all over getting him signed up with a name like that he will play for Ireland or Cuba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

He is a player who needs playing time to build up his confidence. I spoke last season to 2-3 people at Schalke, Dortmund and Leverkusen who worked with him at various levels at Mainz and with StatSports. They all say he is an excellent keeper, he is what Klopp wants stats and style wise and he just needs time to adapt not only to Liverpool but also to what Klopp expects and the increased fan pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Tagseth looks like he could be something special if he continues to develop

If he isn't Irish the FAI need to be all over getting him signed up with a name like that he will play for Ireland or Cuba.

Then you can be sure he will play for Cuba....if he aint playing PL or first division MON wont consider him let alone call him up, ring him or speak to him. Roy wouldnt be seen close to Anfield.....

As for the FAI....do they know what development plans are??

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Tagseth looks like he could be something special if he continues to develop

If the football doesn't work out for him he'll always have that incredibly blonde hair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That would be very unfair. Surely Mignolet earned it? Karius should be the League Cup/ FA Cup keeper.

I'd imagine it's

PL: Mig
    CL: Karius
    FA/LC: Ward

Seems the only reason to have kept all three keepers. Then we sell one of them next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Did we ever go through with the signing of Zack gilsenan from Barcelona? He would be about 14/15 surely at this stage. Irish and Australian passport with a big "the next mess" tag on his back.

I read about 2 or 3 years ago that we were about to sign this 11 year old from Barca but I never read if we actually went through with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dreamt the result night before last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Coutinho not in matchday squad for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Dreamt the result night before last.

1 and 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

martyos121 wrote: »
    Coutinho not in matchday squad for tomorrow.

No complaints about that...the lads in the squad for August have performed well and would be harsh to take any of them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

not surprised Klopp dropped him for matchday squad,good decision I think,its where he should be left for a while anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Klopp has restored some faith in Moreno and Karius this season - huge votes of confidence. It's really **** or get off the pot time for them both. Karius is a promising keeper but there'll be knives out for him if he costs us in Europe. There's nowhere for him to hide anymore - no point in having him if he's not to be used. Klopp clearly feels he's worth the shot so let him have it.

I hope we're talking about him challenging for the #1 sport in EVERY competition in a few months time than there still being a worry about him. We'll only know through games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Petty thing to do, leaving him out of squad. I thought the time had come to draw a line under it, not add more fuel to the fire. I'd have him on bench.
    We fight and fight to keep a player and then act like we don't need him. No time for this petty BS, we want to win the league FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Saving him for the Champions League game on Wednesday maybe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Petty thing to do, leaving him out of squad. I thought the time had come to draw a line under it, not add more fuel to the fire. I'd have him on bench.
    We fight and fight to keep a player and then act like we don't need him. No time for this petty BS, we want to win the league FFS.

In an interview with Klopp yesterday, he was saying that Phil has missed alot of football for us and played some international games, he needs to get back to our standard of fitness before playing.

One could not even find a Karius tribute video on youtube that makes Karius look good, that's how bad he is.
    He spills everything! Yea you will see him make saves and spill it and video will cut to next save where he does the same. It won't show what happened after the spill.
    We might see it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

One could not even find a Karius tribute video on youtube that makes Karius look good, that's how bad he is.
    He spills everything! Yea you will see him make saves and spill it and video will cut to next save where he does the same. It won't show what happened after the spill.
    Mignolet is starting tomorow.

Karius was brillant at Mainz but he has looked overawed in a Liverpool shirt.
    Still very young for a keeper so could in time be a very good keeper.

I think if you watch the youtube video below you will see what Klopp wants from him....something he did on a weekly basis at Mainz....quick distribution and a sweeper role. A poor mans/raw version of Neuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Saving him for the Champions League game on Wednesday maybe

The bench then hopefully. I feel a little uneasy about him not being in the squad. Mane, Salah & Firmino have done a lot of travelling so if one were to be tired late on I'd like the option to see him come on late on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That video is not a good example - lasted two minutes, every mid to long range kick landed on a Bayern head, two of them booted the length of the field to no-one - I don't see good distribution here.

I also don't consider somebody a sweeper keeper when they're still collecting the ball in the box tbqh - we play with a higher line than Mainz will against Bayern he'll need to come further from his goal than he has here.

I'm not knocking the ideas behind Karius, what we want him for, or what his role will be. I also very much want to see him improve into a solid, dependable goalkeeper....but that video is a load of shít

Coutinho is in no way fully conditioned/fit for tomorrow, if he is on the bench then in theory he could be called upon within moments of the kick off. So as much as we'd all like him to come on to score the 4th goal in the 93rd minute it's probably for the best esp with Seville on Tuesday.

I think if you watch the youtube video below you will see what Klopp wants from him....something he did on a weekly basis at Mainz....quick distribution and a sweeper role. A poor mans/raw version of Neuer.

That video is hilarious.
    See what I mean, it shows him kicking the ball long, back to the opposition over and over and over, must have done it 12 times in that video. It shows him punching ball after ball that is high into the box, easy catches all of them. It shows him flapping about sliding out with no control and not taken ball but getting away with it. It shows him spilling shots. It shows him playing team mates into trouble.
    This video is what people should show to young goal keepers, how NOT TO DO IT.
    That is the best of Karius? Would love to see the worst, as that was shocking.

D'Agger wrote: »
    That video is not a good example - lasted two minutes, every mid to long range kick landed on a Bayern head, two of them booted the length of the field to no-one - I don't see good distribution here.

Fact is...he was getting the game going quickly. Develope it and you can counter attack. With the front 3 we have its a weapon.
    I also don't consider somebody a sweeper keeper when they're still collecting the ball in the box tbqh - we play with a higher line than Mainz will against Bayern he'll need to come further from his goal than he has here.

Unfortunately Klopp is getting nearly €10m per year to make those decisions. What you or I think doesnt matter.
    I'm not knocking the ideas behind Karius, what we want him for, or what his role will be. I also very much want to see him improve into a solid, dependable goalkeeper....but that video is a load of shít

The video may be a load of shít....but it is a simple example of what Klopp wants. If 2 of the balls get through with the speed in our frontline we should get chances.

Only problem Karius has...is that PL is a little more physical and he hasnt got as much time on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

A keeper who can't use his hands properly when saving the ball is still **** in my eyes, even if he does end up ticking the sweeper keeper qualifying checkboxes.

Karius is like the keepers from the old PES, in that every shot seems to rebound at the feet of the attackers. You might as well be kicking a ball off a washing machine.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/906140956348620801

Reddy has quotes from Klopp on Coutinho. Image she's posted is massive, so just leaving the tweet here.

Emre Can is a big tease

emre_can.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The ball probably has a Juve logo on it. :(

That's what you want to hear from you the Boss.
    I wasn't manager when Suarez was sold, I wasn't manager when Sterling was sold - I'm manager now, and we're not selling him.

That's what you want to hear from you the Boss.

Bit of a change from the ask FSG speel he was saying two weeks ago.
    And, be under no illusion, Phil will be sold within 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Emre Can is a big tease

emre_can.jpg

I think he just meant football was his true love... :(

I hope they sort his contract and he doesn't do what the missus tells him to... :)

I took that Can pic as a sponsorship payment from Nike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Unfortunately Klopp is getting nearly €10m per year to make those decisions. What you or I think doesnt matter.

Sure shut down the thread so, it's all over.
    The video may be a load of shít....but it is a simple example of what Klopp wants. If 2 of the balls get through with the speed in our frontline we should get chances.

It's a not an example at all - it doesn't convey what Klopp wants or what you've suggested it displays is my point - you're talking about sweeper keeper - he's collecting the ball in his box, you're saying good distribution - he's kicking it long and aimless. So you're providing a video of something that needs to be developed and saying it's an example of what we want right now.

Like my friend Forrest Gump used to say "Life is like a box of milk, cocoa, sugar and additives, but if we develop that then we'll have a box of chocolates"

forrestgumpallihavetosay.jpg

I took that Can pic as a sponsorship payment from Nike!

True story?

Knex. wrote: »
    True story?

Nah.

What I meant was that it's a payment from his own personal sponsorship deal with Nike and I wouldn't take it as anything more than that.

Most Instagram pic's like that are product placement deals from celebrities and sports stars who get paid to put them up.

Sure shut down the thread so, it's all over.

It's a not an example at all - it doesn't convey what Klopp wants or what you've suggested it displays is my point - you're talking about sweeper keeper - he's collecting the ball in his box, you're saying good distribution - he's kicking it long and aimless. So you're providing a video of something that needs to be developed and saying it's an example of what we want right now.

Like my friend Forrest Gump used to say "Life is like a box of milk, cocoa, sugar and additives, but if we develop that then we'll have a box of chocolates"

forrestgumpallihavetosay.jpg

Its an example of what Klopp wants now, otherwise he would have bought a new keeper or gone with one of the 3 permanently. Dont mistake me....I hate it but Klopp seems to think we need it and its clear that that is why he bought Karius and is persisting with giving him a chance.

He did the same thing in Dortmund...when he arrived Weidenfelder wasnt great, he gave him 2-3 seasons, bought Mitchell Langerak and started playing him only to find out Weidenfelder was a better/more reliable option and went back. Never tried to upgrade what was a solid keeper for only 80% of the games.

I gave up trying to understand his decisions years ago....wonderful trainer, even nicer guy to drink a beer with, motivates etc. but is very frustrating for fans.

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/906158274298339330
    Sadio Mané has won the Barclays Premier League player of the month for August following his electric start to the 2017/2018

But he can't win Liverpool player of the month :pac:

Klopp on OX

https://twitter.com/thisisanfield/status/906126078024065026

Klopp: "In the system we play in this moment he can play four positions, both No. 8s and both wingers."

• Advertisement

Right back it is then tomorrow! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement