Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Was banking on us to lose at home to Palace so we're still on track in my eyes. The attack needs sorting out though, no goal in our last 103 minutes of football is a cause for concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Moreno our best player at the back. Trent AA is young so u can excuse him more.

Matip has been off form for a while. Klavan was very poor.

Need to pick up 2 wins next week to get over this.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Klavan offers nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

That was tough to watch. How can a whole team (or 10 players really) fall apart when one of their team gets sent off? I mean, a forward player is sent off. There's still 4 defenders and 3 midfielders playing! Terrible result. I'm shaking my head in disbelief, yet I'm not really surprised. We have a rubbish goalie; awful defenders (except maybe the younger ones); rubbish midfield (Henderson, I'm looking at you); a rubbish captain (Hendo, again!); and good, fast forwards. There will always be goals when Liverpool play. The thing is though they will be at both ends. Unfortunately there will be more against us than for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'm off to burnley game nxt wk to cheer myself up 5 nill to us hopefully😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

martyos121 wrote: »
    Was banking on us to lose at home to Palace so we're still on track in my eyes. The attack needs sorting out though, no goal in our last 103 minutes of football is a cause for concern.

It's one game without a goal, it's not like we're worse off for not scoring a 5th in the last few minutes of the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If we were going to take a kicking, then we might as well take it for what I'd expect is the hardest game of the season. Think we come back bolder and braver for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

awec wrote: »
    Klavan offers nothing.

He's hopeless. Criminal that he's our 3rd choice centre-half which means he is going to play a lot of games between injuries and rotation. Have no clue what Klopp was at in not buying a new centre-half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I'm off to burnley game nxt wk to cheer myself up 5 nill to us hopefully😁

Not a Burnley fan are you? :D

We were due a beating tbf, we've spanked enough top teams lately, this is a victory for all the remaining top 6 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Do people still think Can is a viable option at CB?

NukaCola wrote: »

I don't think anybody ever said he was, people said he's probably our 5th choice and that was it.

I don't think anybody ever said he was, people said he's probably our 5th choice and that was it.

He should be nowhere near CB tbh, 5th choice or not.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Did many watch that until the end? I certainly didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

It's not like this wasn't expected at some stage ... season after season, regardless of manager, we can't ****in defend.

2016 - 2017 Season : Goals conceded = 42 (1.1 per game)
    2015 - 2016 Season : Goals conceded = 50 (1.3 per game)
    2014 - 2015 Season : Goals conceded = 48 (1.2 per game)
    2013 - 2014 Season : Goals conceded = 50 (1.3 per game)
    2012 - 2013 Season : Goals conceded = 43 (1.1 per game)

5starpool wrote: »
    Did many watch that until the end? I certainly didn't.

Left it on in the background but that's about it.

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Not a Burnley fan are you? :D

I'm fecking tempted after today😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

And again, 2-0 and a man down while away to City when you haven't played CB in over a year is hardly a reflection on him as a player.

A good idea for everyone is to completely ignore this game and everything that happened in it after the sending off, because nothing after that made any difference, our system of play was in a shambles and we'd all but given up.

Yes, of course, if we're playing attack against defence we're going to be exposed, but a key element of our play is keeping our oppoenents honest because we pose some kind of threat.

If they can just knock off with the defending and attack at will while we have to work twice as hard then obviously we're going to be taken apart.
    Some teams are already playing extremely conservatively so losing 1 player doesn't really have a huge impact on their game plan, but that obviously isn't the case with how we play.

Just watching the mane replay,he had to go,no doubt it's a red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I took no notice of game after the 2nd goal. Hard to complain about performance when 2-0 down and down to ten. Best to forget it and start again.

• Advertisement

Btw did ox touch the ball,i wasn't really paying attention tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

By rule book yes. Maybe rule book should be allowing a one game ban for accidental collisions that endanger an opponent.

2 wins 1 draw 1 loss after 4 games, same point total as last season. Same point total over the same 4 fixtures as last season too.

Gbear wrote: »
    And again, 2-0 and a man down while away to City when you haven't played CB in over a year is hardly a reflection on him as a player.

I'm not having a go at him, he's not a CB....there's a reason why he doesn't play there.

Leaving Lucas go will hurt us a whole lot more than many expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Mane deserved to go. Wouldn't really read anything into what happened after that it was a good contest up till the red card. Atleast we have a bit of cover for mane when he is out now. Win against Burnley and its 10 pts from 5 and a good start.

I'm not having a go at him, he's not a CB....there's a reason why he doesn't play there.

Leaving Lucas go will hurt us a whole lot more than many expected.

Will it? It's not like having Lucas to throw in at CB would've saved the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Came on to check for a meltdown. Lads, I think that we are all maturing as a thread. We should be proud of that.

Only causes for concern for me are a) Missing Mané for three games (though I think it includes the League Cup which he likely would have been rested for anyway) and b) Just how soft our defence looks. City aren't the only good attackers in the league, we will have busy days and I don't have confidence in Klavan, Lovren or Matip back there.

I watched until the end but turned off before the post match interviews, not entirely sure why I did it to myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No it's not. He was entitled to go for the ball and his eyes were always on the ball. The keeper made the decision to go with his head and that's not Mane's fault. If the ball was crossed into the box and the keeper went to punch it but got Mane in the face would he be sent off? He would in his hole.

Did Henderson even question the ref on sending off......City players surrounded the ref....he was probably miles away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I took no notice of game after the 2nd goal. Hard to complain about performance when 2-0 down and down to ten. Best to forget it and start again.

It's going to be hard to forget that. As shocked as Mane was that he got sent off it seemed like the rest of them were shell-shocked too. The team and system just fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

2 wins 1 draw 1 loss after 4 games, same point total as last season. Same point total over the same 4 fixtures as last season too.

Same sh1t defense too.

Same sh1t defense too.

wouldn't have it any other way

Will it? It's not like having Lucas to throw in at CB would've saved the game.

I think so. I'd have him starting over Klavan and Gomez.....he may not have saved this game but he's a better option than starting Klavan IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I would imagine phil will come into the front 3 for the domestic games now that Mane is banned or else the ox will

Took a peek into the match thread, is there a way to make it so that they just don't appear on my home page to stop me from going in out of morbid curiosity? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Its good to see a lot of level-headed posts in here so soon after the loss. Its a disappointing result, but this is a Pep team playing 11 v 10 - its really difficult to get back into it, and I think Klopp knew it was over at HT - save the lads for Sevilla now.

Every season throws up these freak results, there's no reason to be over-reacting or calling for Klavan's public execution (though he was rubbish today). A few similar results from last season where a top 6 team got their arse kicked:

Chelsea 5 - 0 Man Utd
    Everton 4 - 0 Man City
    Arsenal 3 - 0 Chelsea
    Crystal Palace 3 - 0 Arsenal

It happens. On we go. Hopefully see a big reaction against Sevilla at Anfield.

Did Henderson even question the ref on sending off......City players surrounded the ref....he was probably miles away?

He was probably off practising his cross field balls,or straight as an arrow balls into the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

ricero wrote: »
    I would imagine phil will come into the front 3 for the domestic games now that Mane is banned or else the ox will

I think we'll see Phil back after the Sevilla game alright.

I feel bad for Mane, I'd say he's feeling pretty low after that. And he genuinely didn't do it intentionally.

Ah screw it lads, on to Wednesday, Anfield bouncing and the auld champions league music echoing around Anfield and we'll move on.

Fair play to Guardiola after the game saying he didn't know if it should have been a red and acknowledging Mane didnt mean it.
    Fair balls to him.

I dont get all the klavan stick and none for Matip,for me they are both as bad as eachother,matip gets away with murder on here,we don't just need one cb,we need two,neither klavan or Matip are good enough if we have any iota of ambition.if any of these 2 or Lovren are part of a cb pairing then we can forget about any future success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its been a long time since we were beaten so thoroughly.

It's only a blip im sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I dont get all the klavan stick and none for Matip,for me they are both as bad as eachother,matip gets away with murder on here,we don't just need one cb,we need two,neither klavan or Matip are good enough if we have any iota of ambition.if any of these 2 or Lovren are part of a cb pairing then we can forget about any future success

It's because Matip has been generally very good and Klavan has been generally very bad. No big mystery or conspiracy.

Milkers wrote: »
    It's because Matip has been generally very good and Klavan has been generally very bad. No big mystery or conspiracy.

has Matip been good? I must have missed that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Watching the Mane incident I honestly did not expect a red card, it was an honest attempt for ball, and one you would expect any player in that siuation to make.

Graham Poll on BT Sports claiming it was a red card yet conceding that if Mane had flicked the ball over Ederson and gone on to score it would have been a legitimate goal. Complete farce.

Didn't see Klopp's interview after the game. What's his take on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Ardent wrote: »
    Watching the Mane incident I honestly did not expect a red card, it was an honest attempt for ball, and one you would expect any player in that siuation to make.

Graham Poll on BT Sports claiming it was a red card yet conceding that if Mane had flicked the ball over Ederson and gone on to score it would have been a legitimate goal. Complete farce.

Didn't see Klopp's interview after the game. What's his take on it?

Klopp didn't think it was a red at all, as it was accidental.

However, it is a red card. It's in the rules, if its dangerous it's red regardless of the lack of intent. And it certainly was dangerous.

So therefore it's a red. I'm surprised people are arguing the decision tbh. It's unfortunate and accidental, but that doesn't change the fact it's a red card.

If roles were reversed and a City player nearly decapitated Mignolet, by accident, we'd be saying it was a red.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Of course it's a red. Not malicious, but a red, and will be a 3 game ban. I can't believe people are still saying it shouldn't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I thought it was a yellow at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pretty sure the sky is falling and the bad result posters are out in force but wouldn't be too down on that result. Poor decision from the ref cost us and the game was dead and buried at half time, so anything after that was pretty much irrelevant. The main complaint I'd have was that we should have shut up shop for the second half or said 'f*ck the scoreline' and went fully at them, we did neither and were just completely pedestrian.

Another complaint would be that the second goal was just a poor goal to concede and no way a result of being a man down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Can't say anything when Liverpool fans do it with Sterling

You certainly can, as long as you also condemn it when they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ardent wrote: »
    Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I thought it was a yellow at most.

Would agree with that. Only got the replay from behind the keeper but it looks like rather than running directly into the path of the ball and jumping to head it away he bottles it and slows down to let the ball come to him and hunches his body, tucking his head.

It can come down to a question of intent or result I think. Mane's challenge had no malicious intent behind it, he was going for the ball and Ederson dove in just as recklessly as Mane, only Ederson's attempt put himself in danger more than the opposition player. Compare this to something like a player diving in for a slide tackle, legs high, two-footed, with no attempt to play the ball, just going to injure the player, and missing. What's worse? The one with malicious intent or the one with a malicious result?

I just think it's harsh that a player can be banned for 3 games for such a challenge with no bad intent.

https://track5.mixtape.moe/hqrdgk.mp4

Look at the way Bellerin goes in here against Salah, high foot near Salah's head, Salah wins the header. He doesn't touch him, but we've been shown time and again that the contact doesn't matter when it comes to things like two footed challenges, and surely this falls under the same "reckless challenge" idea, so why is Bellerin not sent off?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement