Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

murpho999 wrote: »
    We had a worse first eleven and squad in 2005 and won the Champion’s League.

Anything is possible in a cup competition.

As for the league, no need to panic over one result. Thrashings can happen against top teams. Biggest issue is having choices of Klavan or Lovren as centre back and Moreno as left back which makes the recent transfer window a failure imho.

Actually thinking of it now 6 or 7 of that team would get into todays team, dudek,finann,sami,carra,alonso,gerrard and Haman would all walk into todays team,only mane,salah and firminho would stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Actually thinking of it now 6 or 7 of that team would get into todays team, dudek,finann,sami,carra,alonso,gerrard and Haman would all walk into todays team,only mane,salah and firminho would stay

Yeah I think we also finished 5th that season. Everton finished ahead of us going on memory.

Comparing teams is sort of pointless either way though. But now that we're at it, Mignolet is a better keeper than Dudek mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

very true about 2005, but at least we had sami, carra and finann in defence, I myself don't think it's possible to win anything with a bad defence,im a little surprised at lads feeling confident enough of winning a cup or 2 this season,i feel it's wishful thinking myself,the system we play doesn't help defenders either which just makes a bad defence worse

Any Premiership team can win a cup. Fa cup is only 6 games.

Our weakness though is defence and I don’t get why that was not improved in the summer unless they are very confident of getting VVD in January.

I don’t think any of them would get in as they’re all retired now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit disappointing how we collapsed today. Granted City away is the last team you want to be 1-0 down with only 10 men but it really felt like we chucked it at half-time. Kinda feel Klopp chucked it too probably looking at the Sevilla game midweek. We didn't really dig in to keep it respectable.

Still can't get over the fact that we never bought a centre-half. We're going to see far too much of Klavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

4 games in and we're 3 points off United and City while also getting Arsenal(H) and City(A) out of the way, not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Stoke couldn't break down the bus so 3 points off the top it is. Not bad all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just wish that Man City game was before the break, Man Utd to look forward to after the next International break and another 12:30 Saturday kick off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Stoke couldn't break down the bus so 3 points off the top it is. Not bad all things considered.

Oh Nora!

4 games in and we're 3 points off United and City while also getting Arsenal(H) and City(A) out of the way, not all bad.

Yea keep papering over the cracks there,everything is rosy

Yea keep papering over the cracks there,everything is rosy

And you keep screaming that the sky is falling every time it rains.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think we also finished 5th that season. Everton finished ahead of us going on memory.

Comparing teams is sort of pointless either way though. But now that we're at it, Mignolet is a better keeper than Dudek mate!

we finished 30odd pts behind Chelsea yet 7 of that team would walk straight into our team now,what does that tell you about this current side and I wouldn't say migs is better then Jerzy either

And you keep screaming that the sky is falling every time it rains.

It rains alot though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd go as far as card the keeper for being reckless and putting himself in that position.
    Funny you should mention that...
    https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/896419813320531968
    :D

we finished 30odd pts behind Chelsea yet 7 of that team would walk straight into our team now,what does that tell you about this current side and I wouldn't say migs is better then Jerzy either

Ah c'mon, Jerzy had his big moment and I love him for it but no way on earth was he a better keeper than Mignolet.

Anyway, all that aside... To answer your question, It doesn't tell me anything. Sure the team in the 70's and 80's had great players, blah blah blah.

The Chelsea team in 2005 was miles better than the Chelsea team of last season who won the league with Victor Moses playing regularly.
    So what does that tell you? Nothing.

Look, we can go around in circles debating teams of the past versus current teams, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

We are where we are. We have improved a lot since Klopp arrived and we have more improving to do.

He doesn't bottle it... he wins the ball, Mane catches him in the side, he rolls on the ground a little bit, Mane gets a yellow, he gets up and it's 'as you were'. Fine margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

So, has anyone said anything really stupid this afternoon yet?

He doesn't bottle it... he wins the ball, Mane catches him in the side, he rolls on the ground a little bit, Mane gets a yellow, he gets up and it's 'as you were'. Fine margins.

Fine margins is right. If Mane gets to the ball a second before the keeper then he knocks it to his side and they collide and I bet the keeper gets the red card and the high foot probably gets overlooked.

That's why he was right to go for it, despite how it all turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mosstin wrote: »

More than likely - but I haven't been in tthe match thread so I missed it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

It tells me that the general standard of the best teams in England has regressed massively in the past ten years or so. Which it has imo. It's as clear as day.

• Advertisement

Yeah. The missus said to me "So I assume you're watching Match of the day later as usual?".

No, I'm fcukin not :D

Fine margins is right. If Mane gets to the ball a second before the keeper then he knocks it to his side and they collide and I bet the keeper gets the red card and the high foot probably gets overlooked.

That's why he was right to go for it, despite how it all turned out.

I'd actually be surprised if the keeper gets sent off in that situation. Ospina almost decapitated Pedro at the start of the season and got a free for it.

Don't think that, once Mané' was sent off, we can read anything into today's result.

Don't think that, once Mané' was sent off, we can read anything into today's result.

Think that's the general consensus. Once half time came around the focus was firmly on Wednesday. One or two ignoring that though and having a whinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Mignolet is a bum

liam7831 wrote: »
    Mignolet is a bum

dunno what he could have done today, if anything he made some good saves.

Which goals were his fault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Well guys, how are things?

5 nil eh. Wow.

Haven't seen one team dominate a game that much in a long time. And it could have been 6 or 7.

Up to 2nd in the table now too. Still unbeaten.

Things sure are going well for Leeds right now... :)

quarryman wrote: »
    Well guys, how are things?

5 nil eh. Wow.

Haven't seen one team dominate a game that much in a long time. And it could have been 6 or 7.

Up to 2nd in the table now too. Still unbeaten.

Things sure are going well for Leeds right now... :)

Bless. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Missed the game as I was on a plane (annoying how in 2017 that you're off line when flying). Anyhow, from what I have heard and read is that Liverpool had chances and the sending off changed everything.

Is that a fair assessment?

I'm not overly worried by the scoreline as if it's a one off then it's just something that can happen.

Wish we had better defenders though. Hope we put it behind us, learn from it and bounce back against Sevilla.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has lost his last two games 9-0. Is he the problem?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Missed the game as I was on a plane (annoying how in 2017 that you're off line when flying). Anyhow, from what I have heard and read is that Liverpool had chances and the sending off changed everything.

Is that a fair assessment?

I'm not overly worried by the scoreline as if it's a one off then it's just something that can happen.

Wish we had better defenders though. Hope we put it behind us, learn from it and bounce back against Sevilla.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has lost his last two games 9-0. Is he the problem?

Was a 50/50 game til the sending off, then we went into half time 2-0 down and Klopp decided that was it and rested lads for Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

mormank wrote: »

It tells me that the general standard of the best teams in England has regressed massively in the past ten years or so. Which it has imo. It's as clear as day.
    Yeah for a few years there were a team or two from England in the semi finals of CL (started by Liverpool :)). Seems a long time ago now.
    You wouldn't ever imagine a Utd v Chelsea CL final now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Striker sent off, lose 5-0. Do we have a plan without Mane?!

Grayditch wrote: »

City a goal up, a wealth of attacking talent at their disposal, tails up. Not sure we do the damage limitation thing when much of our success is built on counter attacking. Hard to point out a change today that would have made any difference.

Good job we had him towards the end of last season or we never would've got into the CL spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

City a goal up, a wealth of attacking talent at their disposal, tails up. Not sure we do the damage limitation thing when much of our success is built on counter attacking. Hard to point out a change today that would have made any difference.

A Plan B would have been a good change but we don't have one. We could have tried to get to HT at just 1-0. Or even learned a lesson when they had a goal ruled out for offside. But we didn't learn because they scored a legitimate one very soon after. This happened twice in the game! I really fear for us this season and we're only 4 games in and conceded 8 already.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    A Plan B would have been a good change but we don't have one. We could have tried to get to HT at just 1-0. Or even learned a lesson when they had a goal ruled out for offside. But we didn't learn because they scored a legitimate one very soon after. This happened twice in the game! I really fear for us this season and we're only 4 games in and conceded 8 already.

There just isn't a scintilla of defensive nous amongst this team, nor does it seem to be evident amongst the coaching staff. Time and time again our central defenders are caught out of position. Our full backs allow crosses far too easily. We won't be addressing this so we'll have to live with it.
    One other thing - that's a red card all day long. Unfortunate for Mané but he has to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

To summarise the MOTD panel: Mane was unlucky - ideally no red card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

dunno what he could have done today, if anything he made some good saves.

Which goals were his fault?

Thought he was brilliant today. Let down badly by Klaven a few times. Even Moreno didnt have a "moreno game" to be honest

Ardent wrote: »
    To summarise the MOTD panel: Mane was unlucky - ideally no red card.

Ideally? Doesn't come into it.

Was a 50/50 game til the sending off, then we went into half time 2-0 down and Klopp decided that was it and rested lads for Sevilla.
    Grayditch wrote: »

It's a bit grim conceptually that on your 4th league game of the season with mainly a complete squad that klopp throws the towel in at half time and the players seem to oblige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Don't know how anybody could tip such a defensively frail team to win a domestic cup. One bad night at the back, which Liverpool are likely to have during a cup run, and they're out. I certainly wouldn't be putting money on them to win a cup this year.

• Advertisement

Good job we had him towards the end of last season or we never would've got into the CL spots

Daniel stepped up :)

From the time of Mane's injury to the end of last season Sturridge started 2 games and scored 1 goal. Think his "stepping up" is a little exaggerated. Now, maybe he can help us out and step up in Mane's absence next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The one man Daniel Sturridge fan club will hear nothing of that!

From the time of Mane's injury to the end of last season Sturridge started 2 games and scored 1 goal. Think his "stepping up" is a little exaggerated. Now, maybe he can help us out and step up in Mane's absence next weekend.

Ha ha
    It's a squad game don't ya know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

5-0 is a ****

Its right up there with 6-1 Stoke.

I cant remember any other hammerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Arnold got destroyed could have been 7 or 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Didn't see the game live today but recorded it and decided to watch the first half. Emre Can was awful. Absolutely awful. As good as he was in the first week of the season he needs to be way better than that today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Thought it was a red card myself once i seen the replays. It's a fifty fifty ball and one Mane should absolutely go for, but he really needs to get the ball. I've no complaints with the red, but it's no excuse to lose five nil.

Anyway, i just put that down to a very bad day at the office. We're not 5-0 worse than Man City, but it's one of those results we just need to take on the chin and get on with things.

I'm actually very confident for Wednesday against Sevilla and i think we'll get the three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Charlie19 wrote: »
    5-0 is a ****

Its right up there with 6-1 Stoke.

I cant remember any other hammerings.

Mignolet and Moreno played, and are common denominators, in both these games (Lovren played neither). Also, both are well capable of being in contention for worst keeper and left back in the entire league.

There's a kid at right back and a 'random nobody' beside Matip. This is what we send out away to Man City a few games into a new season?. Its desperate!

I think a fair amount of our fanbase have still not comprehended the absolute and total neglect by everyone involved in assembling a defence worthy of the club.

Palace just bought a CB off us that cost them the same as our back 5 today cost us.

On any given day im absolutely positive this defence has complete calamity in its locker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah. The missus said to me "So I assume you're watching Match of the day later as usual?".

No, I'm fcukin not :D

I hear ya. Normally, a shower, few cans and MOTD is the tradition. Not tonight. I watched a few old episodes of The Walking Dead with the missus instead.

Actually, a few of the Walkers from the Walking Dead would improve our defense at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement