Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ings limping off injured in the u23 game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the hell has happened to the streams for U23 games? I can't find any but it is on LFCtv live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

NukaCola wrote: »

Poor lad cannot catch any luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Grayditch wrote: »
    Poor lad cannot catch any luck.
    If he didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lovren getting some blame for yesterday is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not all bad today Everton were thrashed with 11 on the pitch at home - trouble is Spurs twas what beat them

Everton are irrelevant.

To be honest at the moment I think our defence is worse than last season if anything. We still have the same centre-halves but Clyne and Milner were more solid defensively than Moreno and TAA are.

Agreed.

TAA and Moreno aren't good enough. TAA only learning and Moreno will never learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

daithijjj wrote: »
    Mignolet and Moreno played, and are common denominators, in both these games (Lovren played neither). Also, both are well capable of being in contention for worst keeper and left back in the entire league.

There's a kid at right back and a 'random nobody' beside Matip. This is what we send out away to Man City a few games into a new season?. Its desperate!

I think a fair amount of our fanbase have still not comprehended the absolute and total neglect by everyone involved in assembling a defence worthy of the club.

Palace just bought a CB off us that cost them the same as our back 5 today cost us.

On any given day im absolutely positive this defence has complete calamity in its locker.

This is concerningly accurate.

Also, is concerningly a word? Shamrock, as our resident crossword man, I'm looking to you for advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NukaCola wrote: »
    Isn't that fairly normal for a player coming back after a long period out? The muscles degenerate to a certain degree and need a long time to get back to where they were before his first injury.

Sturridge being a fairly good indication of that, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ings gets injured against the same u23 side that went out of their way to put bad tackles on Wilshere a couple weeks ago.

I'd play milner rb until clyne is back.

Thought Gomez was arguably our best defender against Arsneal. No idea why TAA was picked ahead of him yesterday.

The two CL games showed how easily exposed he can be at the back, and it was always asking for trouble going away from home at City with him playing. Further compounded when you've Klavan and Moreno in the team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Ardent wrote: »
    To summarise the MOTD panel: Mane was unlucky - ideally no red card.

As agreed by 3 strikers. He was unlucky, but he did kick him in the face, ended his game and sent him to hospital. If it was anything but red, the ref would not ref again.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Everton are irrelevant.

Getting beaten by Spurs 3-0 is not though. :)

U23 FT 1-0 to Liverpool thanks to Yan Dhanda

Mark Clattenburg says it shouldn't have been a red.

http://i.imgur.com/z6vJF9v.jpg

Personally, I think it should only have been a yellow as well. I am a little surprised at the lengths some people (not on here though, really) have gone to pretty much insinuate that thinking it wasn't a red is disgraceful. That said, I don't see it being rescinded at all, unfortunately.

It's a red because that's how the rules of the game frame such an action.

• Advertisement

A referee has literally just claimed otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Graham Poll said it was a red.
    “From a referee's point of view you see how black and white it is in that situation,” he said on BT Sport.

“You know how high Mane's foot is.

“You know he's caught the goalkeeper in the face and so it's a very very straightforward decision for the referee.

So if refs can't make up their minds it's easy to understand why fans can't.

Would be interested in hearing the opinion on yesterday's performance from anyone who was at the game. I'd say its even harder to stomach if you don't have the 'luxury' of being able to switch it off, or pay attention elsewhere for a bit.

It kind of hasn't really sunk in that we lost 5-0 tbh. It could easily have been worse, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I thought Mane was harshly done by until i opened the bbc football site yesterday where it showed a large photo of the incident, it clearly shows Mane's foot contacting the face of the keeper.

Initially i did'nt think his foot made contact, and it was a shoulder barge that the keeper made the most out of but i stand corrected on that point, there was no intent from Mane clearly, but the ref got the call right IMO despite initially thinking he did'nt.

Knex. wrote: »
    Would be interested in hearing the opinion on yesterday's performance from anyone who was at the game. I'd say its even harder to stomach if you don't have the 'luxury' of being able to switch it off, or pay attention elsewhere for a bit.

It kind of hasn't really sunk in that we lost 5-0 tbh. It could easily have been worse, too.

Well i was'nt at the game and even then i only seen about 30 mins of the first half on my lunch break but after seeing the result i've been reluctant to go back and watch the full game as i usually do when i can't see the game live, infact i only see the first goal, i will watch the game in full over the next couple of days but i'm not ready to watch it just yet!

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok, so that is not a knock.

If he was a top player he would have played him in a game like this.

I said a knock or something. You were oblivious to him not being deemed 100% fit after the internationals.
    By your "logic" klopp prefers Klavan at CB than lovren.

Moreno is a top player as he played in a "game like this" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Well i was'nt at the game and even then i only seen about 30 mins of the first half on my lunch break but after seeing the result i've been reluctant to go back and watch the full game as i usually do when i can't see the game live, infact i only see the first goal, i will watch the game in full over the next couple of days but i'm not ready to watch it just yet!
    o

Maybe have a bottle of gin beside you when you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lucas and Luis Alberto's Lazio have tonked Suso's Milan in Rome.

Alberto scored the 4th after a Ciro Immobile hat-trick.

He was a bit unlucky Alberto. Just didn't look the right sort of fit for the league, or maybe we didn't have the time to let him adapt.

I don't think it needs to sink in tbh. Yeah the scoreline looks bad, but the game was written off at half time so I wouldn't pay much heed to it. Back to business Wednesday night hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gbear wrote: »
    Lucas and Luis Alberto's Lazio have tonked Suso's Milan in Rome.

Alberto scored the 4th after a Ciro Immobile hat-trick.

He was a bit unlucky Alberto. Just didn't look the right sort of fit for the league, or maybe we didn't have the time to let him adapt.

I remember he had one brilliant game for us, against West Brom I think.

He didn't seem to get a fair shake IMO, but we don't have a clue what goes on in training or behind the scenes in general. Suso is the real "one that got away" though, really baffling that he was let go so easily.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I remember he had one brilliant game for us, against West Brom I think.

He didn't seem to get a fair shake IMO, but we don't have a clue what goes on in training or behind the scenes in general. Suso is the real "one that got away" though, really baffling that he was let go so easily.

Our team has been and still is littered with such talents that were let go from their previous club rather easily as well, Coutinho, Sturridge, Clyne, Can, Carroll etc...
    It's swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Augeo wrote: »

I said a knock or something. You were oblivious to him not being deemed 100% fit after the internationals.
    By your "logic" klopp prefers Klavan at CB than lovren.

Moreno is a top player as he played in a "game like this" ?

No, that is not my logic at all an you are twisting what I am saying.

The left back position is a problem one and nobody in the squad has claimed it as theirs. Moreno has worked his way back into the team and is just barely holding onto his place. He's one of his brain farts away from being replaced by Milner or Robertson.

Centre back is different. Lovren fancies himself as first choice and as a leader and if Klopp rated him as a top player he would not have dropped or rested him in such a big fixture against a top side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Very similar incident in the Swansea v Newcastle game.

Only a yellow on this occasion.

https://twitter.com/TheKopMagazine/status/906912073254408192

We wasted a lot of chances prior to his sending off. We started very strong and Salah was poor in front of goal. Need to take those chances against the big teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Charlie19 wrote: »

I honestly think the refs just make their own rules up week by week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The outcome of an injury or not should not influence the ref's decision.

Otherwise players would get sent off for every tackle that results in an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Both should have been reds, neither were in control

If Rafa keeps that side up, its a massive achievement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Both should have been reds, neither were in control

If Rafa keeps that side up, its a massive achievement

Out sick today, recovering from an operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Out sick today, recovering from an operation.

Skiver :)

Otherwise players would get sent off for every tackle that results in an injury.

With what happened yesterday, you'd think the Ref today would make the same decision. I think this will rumble on a bit and I can only imagine what MNF hot topic will be about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ricero wrote: »
    I honestly think the refs just make their own rules up week by week

It's not that.

The issue is that human nature often dictates that you give a harsher punishment if there is an injury. The referee will often referee the injury, not the tackle.

It's why I can guarantee you players are told to stay down if they get a bad challenge, rather than get up quickly if they can. If the player pops up, I'd say there's a 95% the tackle doesn't get a red.

It's the modern game.
    It sucks.
    But it's the way it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No, but if you catch someone instead of missing them, it's more serious.

5starpool wrote: »
    No, but if you catch someone instead of missing them, it's more serious.

But he only missed because the player spun out of the way. A two-footed challenge is a two-footed challenge whether you make contact with the player or not, and it's given as a red card offence regardless.

I wouldn't blame the ref. It did look nasty at normal speed. It was dangerous play by Mané by the letter of the law.

Neville and Co were banging on about his eyes not looking at the keeper. Doesn't matter.

No chance of it being rescinded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

4 games played and not a clue as to what this team is.
    Comical against Watford, struggled to break down Palace, thrashed Arsenal when they only played to 40% of their worth and then went down to City when we dominated until we lost a goal against run of play and then lost Mane and then conceded another goal.
    Can't take nothing from Arsenal game as it was a sham, or City game . It was never two fully functional teams going head to head.
    Watford game probably the truest reflection of us so far.

Can't take nothing from Arsenal game as it was a sham

so should we just give the 3 points back?

Fell for the double negative.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

But he only missed because the player spun out of the way. A two-footed challenge is a two-footed challenge whether you make contact with the player or not, and it's given as a red card offence regardless.

Would you seriously hold the same view if it was a city player on a Liverpool one? Same question for others with the same view? I'm assuming you say you would, but I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

4 games played and not a clue as to what this team is.
    Comical against Watford, struggled to break down Palace, thrashed Arsenal when they only played to 40% of their worth and then went down to City when we dominated until we lost a goal against run of play and then lost Mane and then conceded another goal.
    Can't take nothing from Arsenal game as it was a sham, or City game . It was never two fully functional teams going head to head.
    Watford game probably the truest reflection of us so far.

Why not give credit for the arsenal game. They went out and won easily yesterday. It was a great performance.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why not give credit for the arsenal game. They went out and won easily yesterday. It was a great performance.

We'll put an asterisk beside the Arsenal score. Doesn't really count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Augeo wrote: »
    This isn't fact of course.
    It's popular speel in here to suit a circumstance.

Like when we weren't expected to splash the cash on big signings we had to read the in the knows telling us klopp will buy young players and develop them.

When we tried to splash the cash than it was as these players were perfect for klopp, none other will do.

We're now waiting to sign Virgil I suppose and letting Klavan get plenty 2017 games.

Unreal.

i think Klopp jibbed it too.... took Salah off at HT and Firmino was hooked too..

I have not heard of him carrying a knock and he was on the subs bench.

Klopp definitely does not rate him, that's why he wants VVD.

Klopp said pre match that Lovern was tired after intl duty

noodler wrote: »
    All the Clyne abuse last season, I always maintained his defensive side was more important.

We are now weaker at the back with him out and Moreno in, I'm still not sold on it despite his reasonable performances.

Clyne's strength's are defending against the top sides... and is required!

His weaknesses are against the poorer teams when we dont need him on the pitch...

yup seen it earlier... was it even a yellow ? cant remember... defender didnt make a meal of it

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame the ref. It did look nasty at normal speed. It was dangerous play by Mané by the letter of the law.

Neville and Co were banging on about his eyes not looking at the keeper. Doesn't matter.

No chance of it being rescinded.

was lip reading yer mans reaction to the ref today for newcastle after he made the challenge... " my eyes were on the ball" lol

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement