Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

5starpool wrote: »
    Would you seriously hold the same view if it was a city player on a Liverpool one? Same question for others with the same view? I'm assuming you say you would, but I find that hard to believe.

Why ask the question if you say you won't believe my answer anyway?

The two incidents are identical, I don't care if they're both yellow cards or both red cards, but to have two different rulings for the same incident barely 24 hours apart is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's pretty pointless to talk about the frightening frailties. A lot of people in here don't wanna hear it and also... The club doesn't seem bothered about fixing them. We have one of, if not the best attack in the league, why not just get harsh-but-fair about the rest, I don't know.

I can't get over the state of the defence.

Our attack is not clinical enough atm! :pac:
    Let's hope we can write that off as a blip with a performance on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Great, a full season of LFC fans posting gifs of high foot challenges that don't end up as a red card to look forward to.
    People need to get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The two incidents are identical, I don't care if they're both yellow cards or both red cards, but to have two different rulings for the same incident barely 24 hours apart is a joke.

But it isn't a joke, just two referees interpreting two incidents very differently. In yesterday's Mané catches the keeper high, City are at home, fans and players are baying for blood so it's entirely understandable that Mané had to walk.
    In today's match, the ref interpreted it differently. These things happen. Instances like this are interpreted by a split second reaction on the part of the referee - it's human nature. Personally, I think refs do a superb job mostly.

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, that is not my logic at all an you are twisting what I am saying.

The left back position is a problem one and nobody in the squad has claimed it as theirs. Moreno has worked his way back into the team and is just barely holding onto his place. He's one of his brain farts away from being replaced by Milner or Robertson.

Centre back is different. Lovren fancies himself as first choice and as a leader and if Klopp rated him as a top player he would not have dropped or rested him in such a big fixture against a top side.

Apologies.

I don't think he was dropped or rested.
    Just wasn't deemed fit enough to start and as game developed would only have come on if Klavan or Matip came off injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I thought Mane was harshly done by until i opened the bbc football site yesterday where it showed a large photo of the incident, it clearly shows Mane's foot contacting the face of the keeper.

Initially i did'nt think his foot made contact, and it was a shoulder barge that the keeper made the most out of but i stand corrected on that point, there was no intent from Mane clearly, but the ref got the call right IMO despite initially thinking he did'nt.

Lots of pictures showing the boot to face which looks terrible but how about this picture just before the collision

441274A800000578-4867934-image-a-43_1504962058755.jpg

The keeper isn't even looking at the ball!! It looks like he's going straight for Mane.

The keeper came off worse for going in to tackle without any thought of what he was actually doing! I've played as a goalkeeper and I have absolutely no idea what he is intending to do from his body position.

Is he going for the ball (that's he's not looking at), is he deliberately trying to intercept Mane (who he's not looking at) or has he spotted something shiny on the ground and has walked right in to Mane's path???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Forget about a defencive coach.

Get a striking coach for Salah! :) He could/should have double figures already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Forget about a defencive coach.

Get a striking coach for Salah! :) He could/should have double figures already.

Anyone else and I'd be saying three goals so far is a good return.

But Christ he is brutal from that inside right position once he gets clear. Can't get enough power or accuracy with his far corner curls.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You think both should be yellow I assume?

It was reckless, he might have been looking at the ball but he knew Ederson was going for the ball with his head. Not malicious at all, but a red and I'd be livid if roles were reversed and it wasn't red.

If a player lunges in with a boot but doesn't catch the opponent at all (and assuming he doesn't pretend he was caught,) it's usually not given as a red. It sometimes is I'm sure, but generally it wouldn't in my view. Same as this incident pretty much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

This continuing analysis of the Mane incident is making me yearn for the days of ricero slating FSG every 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

Ings was taken off as a precaution today he wasn't injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Milkers wrote: »
    This continuing analysis of the Mane incident is making me yearn for the days of ricero slating FSG every 20 minutes.

I think it's a shock reaction to the fact a Liverpool player saw a straight red card. That hasn't happened since Gerrards legendary heat map moment in March 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Markovic boxing the head off that Basel player was the best straight red in the last few years for me. ;)

Ah that was in Europe (where they have different standards) and yes that was the least red red card foul ever.

It is striking just how few red cards LFC players have seen.

Ah that was in Europe (where they have different standards) and yes that was the least red red card foul ever.

It is striking just how few red cards LFC players have seen.

Coutinho against West Ham for 2 yellows is the most recent one before Mane I think.

Surely it's a bad sign that the U23s are top of the table ;)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJX5poZXgAAxJ5a.jpg

Klopp: "The passes to release Mo Salah in the area vs City were all played by somebody. You can't play them any better than that. But the final decision wasn't good enough to score. That's what we really have to learn."

Klopp's been reading the Salah talk on here it seems.

Yesterday I only half joked he'd have 50 goals this season if he could finish. The potential is huge, just needs to be honed.

Just seen that Liverpool v Seville is the RTE game on Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No doubt Mane is our most important player. Coutinho brillant as well. But when Mane is missing he is a huge loss.
    One of the best players in the league wouldn't swap him for any other wide forward not even Sanchez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Lots of pictures showing the boot to face which looks terrible but how about this picture just before the collision

441274A800000578-4867934-image-a-43_1504962058755.jpg

The keeper isn't even looking at the ball!! It looks like he's going straight for Mane.

The keeper came off worse for going in to tackle without any thought of what he was actually doing! I've played as a goalkeeper and I have absolutely no idea what he is intending to do from his body position.

Is he going for the ball (that's he's not looking at), is he deliberately trying to intercept Mane (who he's not looking at) or has he spotted something shiny on the ground and has walked right in to Mane's path???

I think he spotted Morenos squirrel and was distracted. Can't be blamed for that.

Yesterday I only half joked he'd have 50 goals this season if he could finish. The potential is huge, just needs to be honed.

Just needs to open up his body more when coming in from the right, he's well capable of it.

https://streamable.com/d3nb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sanches kicking poor Joselu in the nuts today. You have to laugh. Just so ridiculous.

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/qdkevy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just saw MOTD 2.

I only saw the first half live but quite dismayed at the second half goals in the highlights.

Hopefully we were being stretched and knackered. Can't see that on highlights.

If the club appeal the red card and lose does Mane get an extra game ban?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Just saw MOTD 2.

I only saw the first half live but quite dismayed at the second half goals in the highlights.

Hopefully we were being stretched and knackered. Can't see that on highlights.

Nah, we were just hopeless. Not sure we even registered a shot after the 30th minute. We hadn't for a long while, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

noodler wrote: »
    Anyone else and I'd be saying three goals so far is a good return.

But Christ he is brutal from that inside right position once he gets clear. Can't get enough power or accuracy with his far corner curls.

Perhaps we could try him on the left side now Mane is benched, let's see if his right foot curlers have a mummy's chance in a raided tomb (thanks George Hamilton for the inspiration)

If the club appeal the red card and lose does Mane get an extra game ban?

Yeah, I think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hoping for a good result wednesday.

Is Mane restricted to CL now for the next 3 matches?

Vicxas wrote: »

He'll miss Burnley and 2 games vs Leicester now with a 3 game ban. He can play the 2 cl games in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

He'll miss home to Burnley and away to Leicester in the league, and away to Leicester in the league cup in between, assuming a 3 game ban kicks in straight away.

Edit: gah, too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Heard a stat this morning from Saturdays game. Between Hendo Gini and Can they had only 1 winning tackle all game!

Christ that's unbelievable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

corwill wrote: »
    He'll miss home to Burnley and away to Leicester in the league, and away to Leicester in the league cup in between, assuming a 3 game ban kicks in straight away.

He'd probably have been rested for the league cup game anyway so effectively a two match ban. Not the worse games in the world to miss. The squad should be strong enough to handle Mane out against Burnley and Leicester. He could easily be out injured for those two games. Time for the Ox to get up to speed with Klopps tactics and go show what he can do.

Coutinho surely the main replacement.

JonnyM wrote: »
    Heard a stat this morning from Saturdays game. Between Hendo Gini and Can they had only 1 winning tackle all game!

Christ that's unbelievable!

To be fair to Gini, he's more of a ball recycler than a tackler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Yeah, I think so

I can never understand the logic of this. You appeal on certain grounds, which surely is your right, and if you dont win you get an extra punishment. Makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

gafferino wrote: »
    I can never understand the logic of this. You appeal on certain grounds, which surely is your right, and if you dont win you get an extra punishment. Makes no sense.

Probably just to prevent every club appealing every single red card they get.

gafferino wrote: »

I don't think it's an automatic extra game now like it used to be. Not sure of the criteria. Anyhow, pointless appealing, no chance it gets rescinded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

When has it happened before when we lose our best player have we got not 1 but 2 replacements which have huge prem experience and can score goals and create chances too in coutinho and ox.

We should be more than capable in filling that gap from Manes sending off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

JonnyM wrote: »
    When has it happened before when we lose our best player have we got not 1 but 2 replacements which have huge prem experience and can score goals and create chances too in coutinho and ox.

We should be more than capable in filling that gap from Manes sending off.

Well If hasn't really scored that many league goals

• Advertisement

I just saw that the last time we lost 5-0 Shankly was in charge.

Of the opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Anyone watch much of sevilla ? How are they looking ?

I know they have signed nolito and navas and ben yedder seems a good goal scorer.

Not expecting an easy game on wednesday night. Reckon it could well end up a draw

ricero wrote: »
    ...........sevilla ....................

Not expecting an easy game on wednesday night. Reckon it could well end up a draw

Coin toss of a game IMO, there's little between the teams in any comparisons you can draw tbh.

They weren't great at the back last season domestically and weren't overly potent going forward either though so that bodes well for us :)

Probably just to prevent every club appealing every single red card they get.

I think it should lean in the favour of automatic appeal for every red, more so than a punishment for failed appeal, to be honest.

NFL has an automatic appeal for player suspensions, for example.

You only get an extra game added on to the ban if your appeal is considered a bit ridiculous. If you appeal something like a blatant stamp, or punch, then you could have the ban extended, or if you appeal it as a way to try and get the ban postponed so that the player can play in the next game. That definitely wouldn't be the case if the Mane situation was appealed, especially now with the argument that Ritchie only got a yellow the day after for a near identical foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

You only get an extra game added on to the ban if your appeal is considered a bit ridiculous. If you appeal something like a blatant stamp, or punch, then you could have the ban extended, or if you appeal it as a way to try and get the ban postponed so that the player can play in the next game. That definitely wouldn't be the case if the Mane situation was appealed, especially now with the argument that Ritchie only got a yellow the day after for a near identical foul.

Would it be worth appealing? The public opinion might make the FA think twice.

Think we just need to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I thought they are not going to appeal did he not say that in his interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Would it be worth appealing? The public opinion might make the FA think twice.

Think we just need to accept it.

This reminds me of Nani's red card against Real a few years back. There was a chorus of protest, but it was clearly dangerous and reckless. I think even Keane accepted that.

Intent in relation to fouls was stripped out of the rules years ago (except for handballs), but folks have a real attachment to the notion that it's still relevant. Policing foul play by reference to intent just isn't sustainable at the speeds the game is played at the last 15 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I thought they are not going to appeal did he not say that in his interview

Yeah I thought Klopp said it was pointless to appeal.

• Advertisement

If Mane was going for a ball at knee height and caught a player there, no one would be suggesting it wasn't a red. Ridiculous that people are saying it shouldn't be red in this case. Almost no bad fouls are intentional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement