Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Karius is starting tomorrow night. Not sure wtf Klopp is at with the keepers tbh. Have a feeling it'll backfire soon.

We're so poor at the back it probably matters little if it's mig or karius in goal.

Mig a better keeper currently but there's more chance of karius improving age etc taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

He needs to get a chance to be fair, otherwise he can't realistically be sold next summer lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Karius is starting tomorrow night. Not sure wtf Klopp is at with the keepers tbh. Have a feeling it'll backfire soon.

Definitely the tactic is the less games for mignolet the better he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Joe Gomez was the player at the presser so I'll take it he'll start at right back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gomez and Matip as the starting CB's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If nothing else, this means Mané should be fit and firing for the Champions League game away to Spartak.

Also just noticed that our PL game after that (Newcastle away) isn't until the following Sunday. Plenty of time to recover from the long travel!

Two weeks off then before Man United (H), Maribor (A) and Spurs (A). What a week!

Two weeks off sees players going all over the world for international football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Harsh on Mignolet tbh. Remember Klopp saying before the last game of the season that he couldn't motivate the players by telling them to win the game to qualify for the CL so he could bring in better players to replace him. How do you motivate Mignolet to perform throughout the season to qualify for the CL when he won't play in the CL?

The annoying thing with Karius is that he doesn't seem to be improving on the basics. He got dropped for months before getting his chance against Arsenal, surely he would do the basics right and minimise chances to criticise him. And surely if he was closed down once when he had the ball he'd learn his lesson and not get caught again. But if he did get closed down a second time surely he'd learn his lesson. But if not, surely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

mosstin wrote: »
    Damn you Grayditch, that was the joke.

Ah shiiiii sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

There is some awful ****e in these group stages. I dont blame clubs toying with the idea of an elite euro league.

Anyway tomorrow night i hope we get at them from the start. An early goal would be very nice and leave them deceptive to the counter attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ricero wrote: »
    There is some awful ****e in these group stages. I dont blame clubs toying with the idea of an elite euro league.

Anyway tomorrow night i hope we get at them from the start. An early goal would be very nice and leave them deceptive to the counter attack

Can't agree tbh.

Same clubs every year would kill it for me.

Sport, competition etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Worried I'll see Klavan & Moreno on the left in front of Karius. A sobering prospect.

We're in a difficult position.

Would love a nice 2/3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Every year there are 10 plus useless clubs in Champions league while Liverpool never get in. It's a bit silly.
    Should be 6 clubs from Premier League, 5 from Spain, 5 From Italy, 4 from Germany, 4 from France .
    At least next season 4th will be automatically in.

Every year there are 10 plus useless clubs in Champions league while Liverpool never get in. It's a bit silly.
    Should be 6 clubs from Premier League, 5 from Spain, 5 From Italy, 4 from Germany, 4 from France .

Nah.

Very selfish perspective imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,083 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

They're champions of their leagues, and deserve it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

They're champions of their leagues, and deserve it.

Their leagues suck.

Anyone think coutinho will start tomorrow ?

Their leagues suck.

Hence why they have to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mignolet is not a viable long term option.

Ter Stegen wasn't ready to start for Barca when he first went in and Bravo was comfortably the number one (and he was pretty good back then - dunno what's happened since).
    Since then he's settled down and has taken over. He seems pretty good these days.

Mignolet has proven he's not good enough but he's decent, so we're trying to get enough out of him for stability's sake while keeping a view to the long term and trying to bed in and settle down Karius in the hope that he reaches the level they thought he would.

It's fair enough in my view.
    At the end of the season we should be at a stage where we can say definitively whether Karius is ready for the number 1 spot and Mignolet should be moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gomez and Matip as the starting CB's?

I'd say Matip and Lovren at centre back, Gomez at right back, and I'm actually guessing Robertson will get the nod at Left back. A back four i'd be much more confident of than the one at the weekend.

• Advertisement

I think it's safe to say Mignolet will be gone at the end of the season either way. He already went running to the Belgian journalists about being unhappy he was dropped for the Arsenal game. I reckon being dropped for the CL games will be a final straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say Mignolet will be gone at the end of the season either way. He already went running to the Belgian journalists about being unhappy he was dropped for the Arsenal game. I reckon being dropped for the CL games will be a final straw.

Can't say I blame him. I've criticised him plenty in the past but this is very harsh on him.

In fairness to Mig, he improved last season, but he'll never fully convince me.

Not sure Karius will either.

I doubt karius will ever be good enough TBH.
    Hopefully he will or at least he won't do much damage between our goalposts.

Can't say I blame him. I've criticised him plenty in the past but this is very harsh on him.

Yep, there's so much emphasis put on the CL and players wanting to play in it that it seems like a big slap in the face especially given that he played a big role in us getting there, even playing the qualifier.

The only (kinda) justification I can come up with is that we are unlikely to come up against long ball teams (unless both us and United get far enough to be drawn against each other) and Klopp wants the whole sweeper/keeper aspect Karius brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So I think we should offer Red Bull the same kind deal for Werner that we did with Keita buy him in January and let him stay till the end of the season.

If Origi starts scoring in Germany we can throw him in as well.

That then would leave all the Coutinho money next summer to be spent on defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

68747470733a2f2f6d656469612e67697068792e636f6d2f6d656469612f3246505576706355336a5167552f67697068792e676966

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Toby you are truly the Alberto Moreno of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

68747470733a2f2f6d656469612e67697068792e636f6d2f6d656469612f3246505576706355336a5167552f67697068792e676966

Mesmerising. Particularly the arsehole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Not sure why klopp feels the need to give information on team selection a day before the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Karius should play in the FA Cup/ League Cups. Mignolet earned his place for the CL. Bullshlt decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

went to a pub quiz tonight, came 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    went to a pub quiz tonight, came 4th

ARSENE-WENGER-2-e1298370160945_display_image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

It's back!!

Can't wait for tonight. CL nights at Anfield are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Need to beat Sevilla good and proper to take that foul taste in my mouth from last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Even though Mig has improved he has still ultimately proven himself not good enough. He has just gone from costing us 12-15 points a season to only costing us a couple. We need a keeper who is gona earn us points we don't deserve and mig is never that keeper.

I also think he is still a huge part of our problems with set pieces.

I don't rate karius either at this point but all in all he is worth the chance of him improving and as is I don't feel he is as major a downgrade on mig anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Karius is a disaster IMO. How many more games do people need to watch him in to realise this? How do so many think he's currently not a huge downgrade on Mig? And I dont even rate Mig tbh.

Playing him in the CL is a mistake. Play him in the domestic cups and pick and choose his games in the league. There is zero reason he should start tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Heading over tonight for the game, second ever game first was the 4-0 home win over Everton the season before last. Hoping we put the weekend behind us and get back on the saddle. Looking forward to seeing the front 3 and maybe Phil in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its pretty obvious Klopp is trying to pick the perfect games for Karius to gain confidence from,
    Arsenal a team who don't ever lump it into the box ,Karius plays
    Sevilla again a team who plays football not looking to lump the ball into the box ,Karius plays
    Burnley on Sunday long ball team Simon will play ,
    We got Leicester in the cup ,they look to use set pieces and crosses on top of there through balls for Vardy, id expect Simon to start both Leicester games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

NukaCola wrote: »
    Karius is a disaster IMO. How many more games do people need to watch him in to realise this? How do so many think he's currently not a huge downgrade on Mig? And I dont even rate Mig tbh.

Playing him in the CL is a mistake. Play him in the domestic cups and pick and choose his games in the league. There is zero reason he should start tonight.

I agree with you alright as he has no reason to start tonight and maybe further dents migs confidence.

Don't rate any of our keepers really. How long will it take us to get a keeper that's really 1 of the best in the prem again???

Don't see it happening anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Its pretty obvious Klopp is trying to pick the perfect games for Karius to gain confidence from,
    Arsenal a team who don't ever lump it into the box ,Karius plays
    Sevilla again a team who plays football not looking to lump the ball into the box ,Karius plays
    Burnley on Sunday long ball team Simon will play ,
    We got Leicester in the cup ,they look to use set pieces and crosses on top of there through balls for Vardy, id expect Simon to start both Leicester games

I think Danny Ward will start against Leicester in the league cup

Its pretty obvious Klopp is trying to pick the perfect games for Karius to gain confidence from,............

I think it's like Klopp has bought a new pair of really "cool" converse trainers type wellies but they had a huge fncking hole in the sole. Klopp didn't spot this until he wore them a few times so now he only wears them on very dry days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Augeo wrote: »
    Its pretty obvious Klopp is trying to pick the perfect games for Karius to gain confidence from,............

I think it's like Klopp has bought a new pair of really "cool" converse trainers type wellies but they had a huge fncking hole in the sole. Klopp didn't spot this until he wore them a few times so now he only wears them on very dry days.
    Haha that's nearly spot on , he know's Karius problems and is trying to keep him away from them ,But it also obvious to everyone else that Karius must still be awful under a high ball,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Vicxas wrote: »
    Need to beat Sevilla good and proper to take that foul taste in my mouth from last weekend.

Don't think that's going to happen. Sevilla are quite strong:

Sevilla 3 0 Eibar
    Getafe 0 1 Sevilla
    Sevilla 2 2 Istanbul Buyuksehir
    Sevilla 1 1 Espanyol
    Istanbul Buyuksehir 1 2 Sevilla
    Sevilla 2 1 Roma
    Arsenal 1 2 Sevilla
    RB Leipzig 0 1 Sevilla

They haven't lost yet this season and had good results in pre-season too.

I think we're looking at a 1-1 or a 1-0 either team.

Too hard to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Vicxas wrote: »

A win would do me.

Sevilla are still a very good side despite losing players every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Arsenal didn't have a shot on target but Karius was easily our worst player, twice getting caught in possession needlessly. Does he deserve another appearance on the back of that display?

Fair enough if Klopp wants to develop him, is a difficult CL tie a suitable time? We wont blitz every team like we did against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

NukaCola wrote: »
    Arsenal didn't have a shot on target but Karius was easily our worst player, twice getting caught in possession needlessly. Does he deserve another appearance on the back of that display?

Fair enough if Klopp wants to develop him, is a difficult CL tie a suitable time? We wont blitz every team like we did against Arsenal.

Should have waited for the Maribor game to give him a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Arsenal was his first game this season.

But if Karius shows no improvement this season it would be best to give him a loan move.
    He needs to take his chances this season. But he looks far too nervy to perform at a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Their leagues suck.

Anyone think coutinho will start tomorrow ?

Coutinho will start on Sat instead of Mane I suspect......may start tonite if Salah isnt fit, but on the bench if Salah is ok

Re Karius, I think he will play CL as hes better with the ball at his feet (apparently) than Mignolet, and there will be less crosses etc that he has to deal with (or flap at depending on what way you want to look at it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

chupacabra wrote: »
    442A4DBB00000578-4873564-image-a-1_1505157002994.jpg

Mane is the victim is he? 3 match ban not long enough imo, needs to be made an example of.

Shame on you.

Love a bit of faux moralising and outrage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement