Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I know we all blame the defence last night buy why not have a go at the forward 6 for missing chance after chance. The system needs these chances to be taken for it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tbf with the way the last week has gone he'd have given the free kick, got sent off and they'd have scored. And then everyone would be asking why did he give away the free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mosstin wrote: »
    Gbear - love reading your posts.

Oh you!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Couldnt for the life of me remember when a lfc player was last sent off and now fast forward a couple of weeks and two in two games :pac:

Everton living up to their small club name tonight I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gbear - love reading your posts.

original.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I wonder is the amount of trust being placed in Naby Keita to fix a broken system misplaced? If the tactical set up remains the same will he end up looking ineffective in the defensive side of his role?
    If Keita was playing, we wouldn't have conceded that second goal last night - he snuffs out problems in midfield before they get to the defence. He might also have snuffed out the build up to the opening goal but I think that would be expecting too much.

He can cover for missing fullbacks on a regular basis but he won't be able to single handedly sort out the issue in central defence - those players need to be switched on throughout the game.

Covering for the defensive lapses of Lovren and Moreno simultaneously will hospitalise him.

Lovren is a liability, he makes mistakes at crucial times and he doesn't have players around him that anticipate his errors/expect the worst. For the first goal last night, Moreno should have anticipated Lovren missing the ball and covered his position. That's what you would expect from a full back which Moreno is not.

Matip is more composed but he does have moments where he too switches off and he's not at all vocal.

In February/March we were strongly linked with two central defenders - Virgil van Dijk and Matthias Ginter (Dortmund). The Van Dijk saga was a complete screw up and Ginter didn't want to leave Germany. They are two different types of defender, Van Dijk is the dominant defensive rock and Ginter is the ball player who steps into midfield.

Sign Van Dijk and one half of the central defence problem is solved. Stefan de Vrij (Lazio) is also a possibility with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

The more I see of Gomez, I'm certain he could play the Ginter role. He lacks experience for playing central defence at the top end of the Premier League but if there was a player like Keita in front of him I'm confident he'd grow into the role provided he had a solid partner beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Everton living up to their small club name tonight I see.

They should rename themselves Brexit FC - trying to get out of Europe as fast as they can.

They should rename themselves Brexit FC - trying to get out of Europe as fast as they can.

That'd it increase their chances of getting into Europe next year.

That and not being sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Tbf with the way the last week has gone he'd have given the free kick, got sent off and they'd have scored. And then everyone would be asking why did he give away the free.

Nah, Henderson wasn't the last man back and Muriel wasn't the furthest Sevilla player forward. Yellow card only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Big sh1t going on at the Arsenal game I think. Riots out side

They're being murdered on the pitch so far too.

Gbear wrote: »
    Oh you!:o

Swoon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fuck sake..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've had to pull my head out of my neck from cringing so hard watching that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Cringetastic alright....."its the right thing to do!" :pac:

He probably done it for the retweets and the thumbs up or whatever the younger crowd are into these days.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

January 31st 2018:

"So Virgil, what was it that made you really want to join the club?"

"Well you see, there was this yank at a Red Sox game..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He is going to win every fan voted award this season.

Official UEFA CL player of the week is.......... Mo Salah with 51% of the vote :).

http://mvp.uefa.com/en/uefachampionsleague/results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

He sounds like a teacher too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Klopp talking about the need for freshness tomorrow in his press conference. Might see Coutinho, Sturridge, Chamberlain and Robertson all starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

sword1 wrote: »
    He sounds like a teacher too.

Ah i have been a very good boy since school has started back.

The summer days make me go crazy

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Klopp talking about the need for freshness tomorrow in his press conference. Might see Coutinho, Sturridge, Chamberlain and Robertson all starting.

At least 5 changes, as predicted. I reckon Milner will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

5starpool wrote: »
    At least 5 changes, as predicted. I reckon Milner will start.

I hope you're tight and I'm wrong! Regarding Milner, it would depend on who he was replacing...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I hope you're tight and ......

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I hope you're tight ....

300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

x43r0 wrote: »
    I hope you're tight ....

300px-KennethWilliams.jpg
    My apologies. That should of course.have read 'a tight end' ...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Fancy us to take out some frustration tomorrow and win comfortably.

Took me a few days to get over that Sevilla game. That one pissed me off way more than the 5-0 against City.

It's becoming what we do. The sense of inevitability that at 2-1 up and should have been 4-1 that it's going to end 2-2, you could smell it a mile away. We're way too fragile.
    And the first one is on Lovren alright but nobody mentions the fact that we're actually attacking and camped in their third of the field when Henderson plays a stupid pass and turns attack into defence like he often does.
    And it stems from there. Can is bad for it, Lovren is beyond words for it and goal.
    But jesus it's beyond me how Henderson got away without a mention when the entire thing starts from him trying to do his Hollywood pass which he does all the time.

I'm not blaming the goal on him at all but there's a chain of events that leads to goals and he started the chain.
    And it's not the first time either. He's the weakest of our midfield trio by far imo. And he's club captain.

The rotating of goalies baffles me too. Not that Karius was at fault in either of his recent games but I wonder did he make a single save in both games added together? I don't recall one, maybe I'm forgetting one. Familiarity between keeper and back 4 would be better imho.

And then there's the back 4. We have 3 left backs available. Milner was excellent there last season imo, Robertson was man of the match against Palace in the only game he's played but it's Moreno who starts most games.

I love Klopp to bits but it's baffling at times from the defensive side of things.

Milner didn't let us down last season. Beggers belief the joker that is starting ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I thought that Milner might have made an agreement with Klopp that he wouldn't be played in defence again.. Might be true.
    Moreno has improved but the bar was very low. He does still dive into challenges from time to time but at least the complete gifting of goals hasn't been obvious so far this season. I want Robertson to be given a chance, at first thought maybe he wasn't match fit but he's still not getting a game. Hope he starts tomorrow.
    In midfield, would Henderson be starting every game if he wasn't captain and an English lad?
    Guy made a good point the other day about how many leaders/captains Rafa signed, we have some top players now but a lack of leaders.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Milner didn't let us down last season. Beggers belief the joker that is starting ahead of him.

By all accounts Milner doesn't want to be considered for the full back role anymore.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    By all accounts Milner doesn't want to be considered for the full back role anymore.

He'd rather sit on the subs bench? I doubt that. Maybe its true but even if it is, Robertson was pretty much 10/10 against Palace.
    Despite Moreno doing ok the other night, he's still the weaker option.

I'd be surprised if that's true. Maybe it is but it means he'll always be down the pecking order.

He could easily claim LB position as his own again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I could see playing on the left side being frustrating for a right footer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jordon Ibe came on as sub for Bournemouth with them a goal down. Set up two, two great passes to put them in the lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Two assists for Jordan Ibe ;)

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Two assists for Jordan Ibe ;)

That's two since he left us so. :)

eyerer wrote: »
    I could see playing on the left side being frustrating for a right footer

Sure. But sitting on the bench probably more so.

What accounts?

Augeo wrote: »
    What accounts?

Yeah I haven't heard anything there either. Maybe someone said something we havent heard or otherwise its a lazy assumption based on him never liking that position much.
    But he kept quiet about it for a full calendar year so why complain now?

• Advertisement

Personally think that Milner's having something of an existential crisis right now at being unable to shift Moreno from the side.

Personally think that Milner's having something of an existential crisis right now at being unable to shift Moreno from the side.

In fairness If I'm Milner or Robertson right now I'm wondering WTF?

And if I'm Matip or Lovren I'm thinking the same.

Whatever about Lovren but no CB wants his LB to be Moreno. None.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yeah I haven't heard anything there either. Maybe someone said something we havent heard or otherwise its a lazy assumption based on him never liking that position much.
    But he kept quiet about it for a full calendar year so why complain now?

Klopp has said today that Milner has only been training as a midfielder this season. I really wouldn't be surprised if he said he'd really prefer not to be left back, even if it means less playing time. I also forsee him leaving the club next summer for somewhere he will play regularly in the centre. West ham or Newcastle again perhaps.

Klopp has said today that Milner has only been training as a midfielder this season. I really wouldn't be surprised if he said he'd really prefer not to be left back, even if it means less playing time. I also forsee him leaving the club next summer for somewhere he will play regularly in the centre. West ham or Newcastle again perhaps.

It's nuts if it's true that a fella who was ok about playing almost every game at LB last season and vice captain would suddenly prefer to be a sub for midfield.

And factoring in his age it makes even less sense.

I'm not saying it isn't true but it's crazy. If its true then Milner will be gone very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Exactly if he's happy left back, he plays there

He obviously isnt

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Exactly if he's happy left back, he plays there

He obviously isnt

But he'll be happier not playing at all?

But he'll be happier not playing at all?

I guess he's just backing himself to push his way into the team. I mean, on current form, he's worth a chance to be honest. Both Can and Henderson have had poor games recently.

I can understand his frustration too... It's not just the 90 minutes being played in a position he doesn't quite like... it's every drill in training, every practice match, every personal fitness program, all catered towards the job of being a left back. Once you're going down that path, you're simply never going to play centre mid ahead of guys who are training day in day out for that role.

Maybe if he's not getting a sniff after a few months, he'll accept a full back role (right or left), but I can't blame him for asking to be considered as a centre midfielder for a while.

I guess he's just backing himself to push his way into the team. I mean, on current form, he's worth a chance to be honest. Both Can and Henderson have had poor games recently.

I can understand his frustration too... It's not just the 90 minutes being played in a position he doesn't quite like... it's every drill in training, every practice match, every personal fitness program, all catered towards the job of being a left back. Once you're going down that path, you're simply never going to play centre mid ahead of guys who are training day in day out for that role.

Maybe if he's not getting a sniff after a few months, he'll accept a full back role (right or left), but I can't blame him for asking to be considered as a centre midfielder for a while.

Aye, that's one way of looking at it. But how long at his age do you wait around?

At the moment he's sitting on the bench and contributing nothing.
    And I find it hard to believe that he's happier there than actually playing games at left back, so much so that he ruled himself out of games there to play his way into midfield.
    Maybe I'm wrong, I just think its odd at his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm by no means a fan of Moreno but going by his last few performances, he's been outstanding on the attacking side of his game and I can kind of see why Klopp would prefer him over Milner.

Saying that I do think that Milner done nothing wrong last season and should've kept his place going into this season.

Then you have Robertson, he's put good displays in when played and looks more suited on the left than Milner in an attacking sense.

It's a tricky one but I think the young Scott deserves a run in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd like to see a bit of a reshuffle today.

Robertson in for Moreno, Phil in for Can, rather than a straight swap on the left for Mane and one of our CFs up front.
    Sturridge, probably, but Solanke would be good too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement