Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Are we the 3 o'clock kick-off on TV today?

If all that's true re milner and left back it's not that surprising, I didn't expect him to be happy about it but when he played the full season there, took the penalties etc I thought he'd accepted it.

Fingers crossed Robertson makes the position his own so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ERG89 wrote: »
    Are we the 3 o'clock kick-off on TV today?
    No.

But we're on TodayFM for those not having access to de internet;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

No.

But we're on TodayFM for those not having access to de internet;)

If you're in, uh, the US, it's on NBC Sports Gold.;)

That suggestion Might Only Be DiRected tOwards a limited number on here, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

http://www.the42.ie/ian-herbert-interview-bob-paisley-3597650-Sep2017/

There's a good article in The Journal today with the author & journalist Ian Herbert talking about Bob Paisley. He has written a biography about Paisley, called "Quiet Genius". I'd say it's a good read. Bob Paisley was in charge of Liverpool when I started actively following the Reds in the late 70's and early 80's. His success as manager of Liverpool really shaped my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

We're way too fragile.
    And the first one is on Lovren alright but nobody mentions the fact that we're actually attacking and camped in their third of the field when Henderson plays a stupid pass and turns attack into defence like he often does.
    And it stems from there. Can is bad for it, Lovren is beyond words for it and goal.
    But jesus it's beyond me how Henderson got away without a mention when the entire thing starts from him trying to do his Hollywood pass which he does all the time.

I'm not blaming the goal on him at all but there's a chain of events that leads to goals and he started the chain.
    And it's not the first time either. He's the weakest of our midfield trio by far imo. And he's club captain.
    Decision making has been poor throughout the team this season.

In Klopp's system, the central defenders have it easy - for the most they only come into play when those ahead of them screw up. Their jobs are to primarily not make a bad situation worse - hold the fort until the midfield work horses regroup and take control of the situation. Having a goalkeeper that is comfortable with the ball at his feet is vital to help out the central defenders.

The system relies upon those back three not making stupid decisions - bad decisions offer up goal scoring opportunities. Unfortunately Dejan Lovren has at least one bad decision per game in him. We don't make the opposition work for goal scoring opportunities we present them on a plate.

We're terrible at defending set pieces - we have a bunch of below average height players on the pitch who will have a tough time competing with relative giants. Klopp's solution is to tell the players not to concede silly free kicks within range of our goal.

This presents an issue because it relies upon the midfield players being switched on and aware of the danger posed by opposition players. So far this season the midfielders have been going through the motions with regards to this side of the game - each of Can, Henderson and Wijnaldum have had their own Jekyll and Hyde moments.

It could be an element of complacency, whether they put the effort in or not who was going to replace them?

Coutinho has had a mysterious back injury
    Grujic is still in a daydream
    Lallana is injured
    Milner is in rehab after playing fullback for a season

This may explain the decision to spend money on Oxlaide-Chamberlain because let's face it he's not going to displace Mane or Salah in the starting line-up.

Up front we have also suffered from bad decision making. Firmino makes runs that make situations more difficult for Mane and Salah, he opts to take on difficult shots rather than play in runners from midfield. The team creates a lot of chances but they could be of better quality if Firmino was doing his job and making better decisions.

Couldn't agree our CBs have it easy.

When we need to defend our fullbacks are generally out of position and we don't play a DM.

CB at LFC is a tough gig IMO

& Bobby has scored 4 goals in 7 games, any forward scoring at that rate is essentially beyond criticism IMO

Augeo wrote: »
    Couldn't agree our CBs have it easy.
    Of course they have it easy, they are paid £100K per week to stand around and take the flack for the inevitable **** ups of their team mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Echo is reporting Lallana is on course to be back by the middle of next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Echo is reporting Lallana is on course to be back by the middle of next month.

I think he's probably the most important player in our midfield. Was excellent last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Coutinho to start says an ITK.

That no one is really posting much and there is no Match thread rather sums things doesn't it?

Lemina will be our next Southampton target.

Mignolet,
    Trent AA, Matip, Klavan, Robertson,
    Can, Milner, Coutinho,
    Salah, Sturridge, Firmino.

Karius, Moreno, Lovren, Wiji, Ox-Cham Hendo, Solanke

Klopp said he'd ring the changes and he has.

Burnley squad is full of brutes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJ2OGL-XkAAZ8gI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Lemina will be our next Southampton target.

Klopp don't do DMs. :(
    He's been brilliant so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mignolet,
    Trent AA, Matip, Klavan, Robertson,
    Can, Milner, Coutinho,
    Salah, Sturridge, Firmino.

Klopp said he'd ring the changes and he has.

Sturridge/Firmino on the wing is nearly always bad. Robertson, Coutinho, and Milner are welcome changes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lovren out with a back injury.

That'll be him trying to force a move to Barcelona too.

Lovren out with a back injury.

That'll be him trying to force a move to Barcelona too.

Still listed on the bench yet Gomez is nowhere to be seen strangely.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    http://www.the42.ie/ian-herbert-interview-bob-paisley-3597650-Sep2017/

There's a good article in The Journal today with the author & journalist Ian Herbert talking about Bob Paisley. He has written a biography about Paisley, called "Quiet Genius". I'd say it's a good read. Bob Paisley was in charge of Liverpool when I started actively following the Reds in the late 70's and early 80's. His success as manager of Liverpool really shaped my life.

A few odd bits in the article, whether by the author, interviewee or editor, I don't know. Liverpool didn't win the league in 1950, and hadn't done since '47, nor the FA Cup in '77.

I had never heard that Jack Charlton was being considered to replace Shankley, **** me!:eek:

Gomez will play the League Cup game at centre back I'd expect.

• Advertisement

Oxlade-Chamberlain won't be impressed - he can't make it into the team for a post European fixture when Mane is suspended.

Surprised to see Henderson dropped tbh, maybe we'll get to see Can show us why he wants to play as a DM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Very strange line-up, hopefully it will work

corwill wrote: »

I had never heard that Jack Charlton was being considered to replace Shankley, **** me!:eek:

This is why Charlton got the Ireland job - he told them about the snub so they rejected Paisley*

*may not be true.

VVD about to get 5 minutes in the Southampton game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

VVD about to get 5 minutes in the Southampton game.

This entire match has been a slog to watch. Palace have been awful

*scores an OG*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Vvd coming on for the saints. Let's see if he's still all that.

Bah, beaten by A. Coulson

Henderson benched so who is captain?

Milner I'm guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

sword1 wrote: »

What's strange about it?

• Advertisement

A few odd bits in the article, whether by the author, interviewee or editor, I don't know. Liverpool didn't win the league in 1950, and hadn't done since '47, nor the FA Cup in '77.

Really good account of the whole thing here - https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/03/bob-paisley-the-greatest-manager-ireland-never-had/

Was very close a couple of times.

I remember reading Shankley tried to sign Big Jack from Leeds a number of times but Leeds wouldn't sell.

VVD already showing the leadership within a minute of coming on that we are lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Vvd beaten to the ball, we dodged a bullet there.

Really good account of the whole thing here - https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/03/bob-paisley-the-greatest-manager-ireland-never-had/

Was very close a couple of times.

I'd heard the saga of Paisley not getting the Ireland job before (for the best, really, given the way Bob's health went soon after), but the42 article is talking about Charlton being considered for the Liverpool job to replace Shanks!
    Jack Charlton was in the running for Liverpool manager’s job, along with Paisley, after Shankly stepped down. How would he have gotten on as manager?

It would have been a very different sort of Liverpool team. What was good about Paisley was that he very much carried on what Shankly brought through. He wasn’t so egotistical to rip it up and start again like a lot of managers did then and certainly do now.

I can’t see how Charlton would have succeeded in the way that Paisley did. Liverpool had a collective culture of playing football that Shankly introduced and Paisley carried on, and I don’t think Charlton would have done that.

Who knows? But it’s hard to imagine they would have had the same success if Charlton would have taken over that team.

Talk about dystopian alternate history... shudder...

I'd heard the saga of Paisley not getting the Ireland job before (for the best, really, given the way Bob's health went soon after), but the42 article is talking about Charlton being considered for the Liverpool job to replace Shanks!

Talk about dystopian alternate history... shudder...

Christ, that's so terrifying my brain auto-corrected it and I totally misread it. Would have been a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I am not surprised to see Henderson on the bench today. Glad to see Sturridge, Robertson and Milner in the team.

Christ, that's so terrifying my brain auto-corrected it and I totally misread it. Would have been a disaster.

I know, I had to read it a few times to be sure I wasn't hallucinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

sword1 wrote: »

I think it's a very good line-up personally. Henderson and Moreno dropped is fine by me.

I like the look of this selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Wheres the match thread? I assumed we were playing Sunday.

emo72 wrote: »
    Wheres the match thread? I assumed we were playing Sunday.

We're in here today - an intimate setting. I've got scented candles lit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

We're in here today - an intimate setting. I've got scented candles lit :)

So that's the smell! Glad the wife got out of the phase a few years ago ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Should be a red card for Wood .........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Really liking Robertson so far. Seems solid enough.

Matip needs to learn to boot it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Guys any links please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it stays at 0-0 it will end in a draw .

If it stays at 0-0 it will end in a draw .

Only if there's no goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Have burnley recycled the villa kit from a year or two ago??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Milner getting around a bit so far in the middle of the pitch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement