Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What does this team do in training? They don't practice corners or defending clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Well done Emre. Such an intelligent footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

For a player with "something to prove" Oxlade-Chamberlin has done SFA since coming.

TAA, again with a ball to absolutely nowhere. I know he's young and needs to learn but that's very, very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Learn how to fcuking cross if it's all we're going to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TAA crossing is really erratic.

Long season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So.... We've turned into what Utd did so well last year. Draw everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How do you blame Klopp for such a dominating performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

22 shots, 10 on target. 71% possession. And still didn't really 'deserve' better than a draw.

Still not sure how there's 4 minutes after 6 subs and them wasting time since they scored.
    Not that it would have mattered, but handy for anyone with a bet on corners!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

corwill wrote: »
    22 shots, 10 on target. 71% possession. And still didn't really 'deserve' better than a draw.

I dunno about that. On another day we win 6-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not gonna moan too much about that. Pretty wasteful but there was an element of bad luck a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not clinical enough. We miss too many of the chances we create.

Not to mention we are always likely to cough up a cheap goal or two at the back.

Already looks like a battle for 4th at best this season.

On the plus side Salah is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Damn it, with all the firepower we couldn't finish them off early on in the first half. Peno or not we need to be more clinical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Nervous at the back, frustrated going forward, a wreck defending corners and clueless taking corners. Sane thing every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

So annoyed by this result. Not purchasing a centre back or two in the summer is either downright negligence or incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Total **** on a stick, someone on screen needs to start asking some hard questions in the post match interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What does this team do in training?

F**k all. Maybe Klavan looks like he can play for Liverpool in them.
    A terrible result but given our form against City & Sevilla I'm not overly surprised that we couldn't keep a clean sheet or take our chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So poor today in the final 3rd of the field mainly due to players being greedy.

Solanke should of put that away at the end though.

Emre can has fallen off a cliff since the return from international break

Ardent wrote: »
    So annoyed by this result. Not purchasing a centre back or two in the summer is either downright negligence or incompetence.

I get that this is the cool thing to say after every game but our defending was not the problem today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

So we played them off the pitch by all accounts but couldn't win, same sh!t again. Nowhere near good enough and klopp needs to get this teams act together.

I don't know why Firmino started on the wing, he wasn't bad but he never does well there and it shakes up the attack too much. Either keep him central and put Ox on the wing instead of Sturridge or don't play him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

One of those days from an attacking perspective. But how does a team with 11 goal-keepers score the first goal and come within a goal-line clearance of scoring twice?

One goal should have been enough to win that game if our defending wasn't so poor. And if you get the first you probably win it 3-0.
    We just can't keep conceding from virtually every attack. It's a nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

ricero wrote: »
    Solanke should of put that away at the end though.

He did well to even hit it, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

corwill wrote: »

Whatever about us deserving our point Burnley deserved absolutely nothing from that game, time wasting since the 5th minute of the game, hoofball, putrid stuff altogether.

I get that this is the cool thing to say after every game but our defending was not the problem today.

Of course it was. Liverpool absolutely gifted Burnley a goal, gave them a lead to defend and even when we did score, they still had a draw to hold on to.

When you give a team like Burnley something to defend, they're going to set up camp on the edge of the box and ask you to break them down.

• Advertisement

Klavan should'nt be anywhere near our team, Joe Gomez step on up.

Our course it is! Our shambles at the back means we have to score at least two goals to win any game. It won't happen in many games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Total **** on a stick, someone on screen needs to start asking some hard questions in the post match interviews.

It wasn't really.

There was a lot of really nice play all over the pace.

With finishers like this in the squad and players like Sturridge and Lovren who can't stay fit, you're going to see some mercuriality (is that a word?).

You have to take the good results with the bad, but the performance was pretty good in general.

Burnley aren't known for being a pain in the hole for nothing.

My foibles would be around the subs, leaving tired players on, waiting until we lost control around 70 odd minutes before changing it.
    Klopp isn't a pro-active substituter. When we're chasing games he usually does it a few minutes after everything goes tits up.

TAA's delivery wasn't top notch but he was tidy enough other than that.
    I'd say Gomez has nudged ahead of him give the extra bit of solidity but there's not much in it and at that age you don't know when a nightmare performance is around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

That's a worse result than losing by 5 to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Burnley are no mugs. I think we done well for the most part, very wasteful and too many hopeful shots though. Not the worst 2 points dropped but fairly poor result all the same.

This one chance one goal situation is obviously not sustainable and we will suffer as a result. Klopp is the defence weak link I think....some of the defending for set pieces was just garbage. You have to wonder what the defence does in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

One of those days from an attacking perspective. But how does a team with 11 goal-keepers score the first goal and come within a goal-line clearance of scoring twice?

One goal should have been enough to win that game if our defending wasn't so poor. And if you get the first you probably win it 3-0.
    We just can't keep conceding from virtually every attack. It's a nonsense.

One of those days seems to be quite often for us however. Defence is a joke and will remain so we might aswell get used to pulling our hair out over it, sick of seeing these ridiculous stats about teams against us scoring with their only chances, first shots on target etc... It's farcical. Klopp put himself under so much pressure not buying atleast one defender.

Our corners are so fcuking bad. Stick it in the box, cleared by the first man, play it short then cross, blocked by the only player closing down, play it short again pass it back to the halfway line.

Then defending, Mee gets a header on goal that needs to be cleared off the line for another corner, second corner put into the exact same position and Mee wins it again and gets another shot on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shoulda signed Brady.

I get that Klavan may not be at fault for all of these but there were 3 moments in the game where 2 of our players both went for the same ball and all 3 of them involved Klavan.

Impressed with Solanke, went looking for the ball, made decent runs and looked hungry, just what you want from your sub.
    Everything O-C didn't show.

In the last 8 days we've had 3 games. We've conceded first in all 3.

Through poor defending / errors.

Defending was most definitely the problem today & in the other two games.

5 pl games played, 8 points ..... scored & conceded 9.

Very ish.

Mane is a huge loss.

Sturridge when he plays 90 mins and doesn't score gets 0 out of 10 from me.

Coutinho needs games.

Milner should be at full back or transferred out IMO.

I'm starting to think that it doesn't matter who Liverpool sign in defence and that the problems may go deeper than not having the right players there.

Also wtf is Can at starting a fight in the dying moments when we need a goal? Especially after getting lucky winning 2 corners off 2 completely scuffed shots.

Gbear wrote: »
    If he was a senior international full back and delivered this kind of performance you'd be fairly critical.

For a young lad he's done alright.

He's had better games and good games by anyone's standards. This is one of the poorer ones but he hasn't been terrible or anything.

Ah right, I disagree you have to take it on its merits and it was poor, crossing the ball into static forwards you could do once but not repeatedly.

Of course, he's young and these performances will happen but you have to acknowledge them for what they are too.

Also wtf is Can at starting a fight in the dying moments when we need a goal? Especially after getting lucky winning 2 corners off 2 completely scuffed shots.

Not just him and not just at the end. Liverpool had 30 shots on goal today and most of them were rushed from outside the box, trying to somehow squeeze the ball through a crowded penalty area. There needs to be more patience and a cool head to calm things down out there.

• Advertisement

Did you see Can going mad at Klavan for tackling him as he was trying to head a ball clear? It resulted in a corner (the one where Matip had to clear off the line). Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I'm starting to think that it doesn't matter who Liverpool sign in defence and that the problems may go deeper than not having the right players there.

+ 1
    I agree 100%, but starting sh1t players like Klavan in 2 consecutive pl games this early in the season isn't helping and is very worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My thoughts on that

Ming - good saves, no fault for the goal.
    TAA - decent but some very poor crosses today. Needs to improve.
    Matip - solid but looks nervous.
    Klavan - ok but nervous.
    Robertson - solid and some good play higher up.
    Milner - didn't even notice him much.
    Can - poor, looks very very tired and not tracking his man for the goal.
    Couthino - rusty and wasteful with all the long range shots when he should have passed.
    Salah - our best player today.
    Sturridge - very greedy, slowed play down an awful lot.
    Firmino - decent but not as effective out wide.

Overall we wasted to many chances and conceded from an individual error again. Our middle three were poor today and didn't impose themselves on the game enough. Lalana comes straight back into the team when fit for me, his energy gives that bit more bite to us.

Can needs to be on the bench for the next game or two to give him time to rest. He's looking very like last season when he was playing with the injury again.

Robertson looks like he's settling well and hopefully we can see him a bit more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I would place some responsibility on him if these type of matches continue (inability to break down buses).

We had a lot of matches like this last season, and I said at the start of the summer that this was one of the main things Klopp needs to address - whether it be through thinking it over tactically, working on drills in training or player recruitment.

It wasn't good enough today and we were not good enough to win. I honestly think if Heaton had been playing we would have lost that game. Let's think that one over before we start feeling too sorry for ourselves.

Not good enough.

The quality in the fullback positions for players who get forward so much and get on the ball so much is not good enough. Put Mendy and Walker into that team and I think we win today.

The composure and decision making in the final third is not good enough. Our forwards play well on instinct but not so well when you give them time to think. Coutinho trying to be superman did not at all help. Sturridge was also guilty of this. We could learn to play a little more like Arsenal in these games and be a bit more patient.

So yeah, not at all good enough. It's on Klopp to think about how to approach these games form a personnel / tactics standpoint.

What you say may well be true but today Klavan was at fault multiple times, even a half decent CB would have dealt with those crosses and the goal chance.

The subs are as frustrating as ever. Solanke comes on, has a good headed effort and hits the bar with another, imagine he'd been given 30 minutes instead of 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Well......
    1. A remarkable habit of conceding the softest of goals from the rarest of sorties into our box.
    2. The apparent lack of planning/training which goes into our set plays at both ends. We look like we've never faced a corner before as if it's some weird new tweak to the laws of the game.
    3. Once teams sit tight and defend against us, they've got a very good chance of taking at the very least a point against us knowing that we'll offer up at least one gild-edged chance by being generally hapless.
    4. Waiting obscenely long into matches before changing it up. I mean, expecting Solanke to do something with 11/12 minutes left is hardly fair on the lad.
    5. Indulging Danny at the expense of Firmino's greater cutting edge up front. Sturridge - who I love - is an impact sub at best these days.
    6. Spending a remarkable £40 million on an injury prone player in the last year of his contract whilst failing to address chronic issues at centre back.

Apart from that, how indeed can we blame Klopp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

klose wrote: »
    One of those days seems to be quite often for us however. Defence is a joke and will remain so we might aswell get used to pulling our hair out over it, sick of seeing these ridiculous stats about teams against us scoring with their only chances, first shots on target etc... It's farcical. Klopp put himself under so much pressure not buying atleast one defender.

Yeah well you see the key point really pal is that "one of those days" for most teams means you battered them but couldn't score and draw 0-0. That **** happens.

But we scored. And we did it against 11 defenders so that really should be enough at home to Burnley but it's never enough for us because we essentially start every game 1-0 down due to the fact our defending is like a pub team.

That seriously cannot continue.

If you need to score 2 or 3 in every game to win then you won't win too often.

If you include the Hoffenheim games then how many matches have we played this season and how many clean sheets have we kept?

Palace didnt score a single goal against anybody and sacked their manager, and even taking that into account Benteke missed an open goal.

It's fairly simple, we sort our defence or we're pissing into the wind.

Results mightn't be going your way at the moment, but Mohamed Salah was some signing. Solanke looking good too.

• Advertisement

Yep, Coutinho was trying too hard today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement