Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ardent wrote: »
    Did you see Can going mad at Klavan for tackling him as he was trying to head a ball clear? It resulted in a corner (the one where Matip had to clear off the line). Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Klavan also went for the same man as Matip for the goal and intercepted a ball that Mignolet had clearly shouted for at one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If we score even 1 more goal today the performance would be the same and Klopp would be getting a lot of praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Yep, Coutinho was trying too hard today.

Coutinho was playing for Coutinho. We may get used to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mosstin wrote: »
    Well......
    1. A remarkable habit of conceding the softest of goals from the rarest of sorties into our box.
    2. The apparent lack of planning/training which goes into our set plays at both ends. We look like we've never faced a corner before as if it's some weird new tweak to the laws of the game.
    3. Once teams sit tight and defend against us, they've got a very good chance of taking at the very least a point against us knowing that we'll offer up at least one gild-edged chance by being generally hapless.
    4. Waiting obscenely long into matches before changing it up. I mean, expecting Solanke to do something with 11/12 minutes left is hardly fair on the lad.
    5. Indulging Danny at the expense of Firmino's greater cutting edge up front. Sturridge - who I love - is an impact sub at best these days.
    6. Spending a remarkable £40 million on an injury prone player in the last year of his contract whilst failing to address chronic issues at centre back.

Apart from that, how indeed can we blame Klopp?

How many of our goals have come from individual mistakes though? You can't coach that out of players.

Can at fault today letting his man run free, Lovern the other night for the first, Henderson the other night for the second. Those three can all be prevented if the players stay switched on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

If we score even 1 more goal today the performance would be the same and Klopp would be getting a lot of praise.

Yeah but we didn't. The margins are razor thin in the PL.

• Advertisement

Newcastle are a point ahead of us..... we're away to Leicester next, they've 4 points after 5 games. They're dogsh1t but you'd be fearful what might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How many of our goals have come from individual mistakes though? You can't coach that out of players.

Can at fault today letting his man run free, Lovern the other night for the first, Henderson the other night for the second. Those three can all be prevented if the players stay switched on.

How often do Chelsea, Spurs, United throw away points due to individual mistakes. It happens, sure, but it's in-built into this team that, not only will one of back 4/5 make a mistake, it'll almost certainly result in a goal.
    Klopp talks about players learning from mistakes - fuck me, how remedial are we if we haven't learned anything since he took over?

Away to Leicester and then away to Leicester, it actually is Groundhog Day

How often do Chelsea, Spurs, United throw away points due to individual mistakes. It happens, sure, but it's in-built into this team that, not only will one of back 4/5 make a mistake, it'll almost certainly result in a goal.
    Klopp talks about players learning from mistakes - fuck me, how remedial are we if we haven't learned anything since he took over?

That's what I'm saying. We seem to have an awful lot of individual mistakes costing us goals, way more than other teams.

I thought Milner was one of our better players today. Someone here said he was anonymous but a lot of chances and good play went through him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We’re stuck this way until January now either way and I wouldn’t have much faith in getting defensive reinforcements in there either. The first thing Klopp has to do it pick a settled back four and stick with it – including the goalkeeper. From game to game to keep Karius happy isn’t helping anyone.

Away to Leicester and then away to Leicester, it actually is Groundhog Day

Today was groundhog day

Today was groundhog day

U7Ghu2s.gif

emmetkenny wrote: »
    That's what I'm saying. We seem to have an awful lot of individual mistakes costing us goals, way more than other teams.

But if it keeps happening to us and keeps costing us points, it isn't bad luck - it's bad coaching.

Can & Henderson will inevitably make mistakes... when they do the defence and keeper should be expected to bail them out, they rarely do.

But as our fullbacks are attacking when can or Henderson have the ball and we play a high line mistakes cost us a goal quite often where a similar mistake in another team the danger is snuffed out.

If mane was playing today we have amuch better chance but as we saw midweek....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I no longer think the soft bodied/mushy brained defending has much to do with the players and everything to do with the negligence of the coaching. Everything points to a manager who really doesn't care enough to spend the time and effort on it - either that or he doesn't know how to coach defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Today was groundhog day

We’re stuck this way until January now either way and I wouldn’t have much faith in getting defensive reinforcements in there either. The first thing Klopp has to do it pick a settled back four and stick with it – including the goalkeeper. From game to game to keep Karius happy isn’t helping anyone.

But why should we believe that he'll actually sign defenders in January. Remember, it seemed to be VvD or bust and Saints will probably still be unwilling to sell him to us then. Apparently we looked at other options "500 million times" and still couldn't find an option better than Lovren.

*shudder*

thats the joke

Ha yeah sorry, bit of a blonde moment there.

Klopp: "We could have nearly won all our games."

:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

:confused::confused:

I imagine hes trying to get across the fact we had enough chances to beat sevilla and burnley this week

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

I no longer think the soft bodied/mushy brained defending has much to do with the players and everything to do with the negligence of the coaching. Everything points to a manager who really doesn't care enough to spend the time and effort on it - either that or he doesn't know how to coach defending.

This is exactly how I feel. There are no improvements in defence during Klopp's tenure. It doesn't seem like he or the defence coaches know what they are doing or how to fix it. Van Dijk wouldn't have fixed this leaky defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

mosstin wrote:

If that is genuine I'm not looking forward to the inevitable deluded Jurgen account. Stop with the bullshıtting Klopp & talk sense.

But why should we believe that he'll actually sign defenders in January. Remember, it seemed to be VvD or bust and Saints will probably still be unwilling to sell him to us then. Apparently we looked at other options "500 million times" and still couldn't find an option better than Lovren.

*shudder*

Ah well I believe him. He went for VVD and some muppet screwed it up by leaking it to the media. But I'd expect we'll go after him again.

I remember talking to Grayditch about it on here and we were saying it was a gamble to wait for VVD til Jan instead of signing someone else and I was saying it was a good gamble to wait.
    But it looks like I was wrong so far coz we could be in huge trouble for top-4 by Jan at this rate.

But I suppose even if we get VVD it's not a magic wand solution, you can play through the heart of us like a knife through butter.
    So a top class CB would help but not necessarily fix anything 100% either.

If we had a Tommy Mascherano in the side and VVD then maybe yeah but aside from that I'm starting to think we might have to just get used to this way of football.
    We're becoming the new Arsenal from a few years back when they actually attacked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

DId Coutinho cast a shadow today.

hadoken13 wrote: »
    This is exactly how I feel. There are no improvements in defence during Klopp's tenure. It doesn't seem like he or the defence coaches know what they are doing or how to fix it. Van Dijk wouldn't have fixed this leaky defence.

I'm not so sure. If you watch Van Dijk he is a leader -constantly communicating and marshalling the defence. We haven't had that since Carra retired.

DId Coutinho cast a shadow today.

He was taken off with cramp. They made him chase after the balls he hoofed into the stands.

Win next week and we're 11 points after 6 games. Thatd be grand IMO all considered.

Today we were missing lovren (as a starter), lallana, mane & clyne.

And ox still started on the bench and Henderson didn't play so at a glance we do have a squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seems a lot more negative on here than the performance deserves. Don't think we struggled to break them down...we cut them open numerous times but poor decision making meant it was for nothing. Everyone seems to be criticising Klopp for the defending but two of the last 3 goals we've conceded have been from stupid individual mistakes, can you account for that in training?

Seems obvious but missing Mane really cost us today, without him we had to shift the main man out wide and accommodate Sturridge who didn't feel like running after any ball not played to his feet or like making an attempt to get on the end of any balls played into the box. There's also a real willingness to play for each other and share the plaudits between Mane, Firmino, Coutinho, and Salah that goes out the window when Sturridge comes in.

Coutinho was off form but that's been a regular thing when he comes back into the team after being out, unfortunately we also saw the return of shoot from anywhere Coutinho, a real leftover from 'The Rodgers' days. When he finally passed to Robertson it got the biggest cheer outside the goal.

Fully expected us to concede following Klavan's tackle on Can, would've been the most Liverpool goal to concede ever.

Haven't seen a replay of the peno incident but looked like he took Salah out of it.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    at a glance we do have a squad.

Yeah but it's not a balanced squad mate.

Our last 2 goals conceded have both come from Can letting his man just walk past him and score.

Our last 2 goals conceded have both come from Can letting his man just walk past him and score.

Can needs a rest tbh...but if Klavan just steps back he cuts the ball out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Keita with a defence splitting pass to set up a goal, nicely taken.

Yeah but it's not a balanced squad mate.

Indeed, I'm looking at the positive though. Another window or three might sort the remaining issues :)

Keita with a defence splitting pass to set up a goal, nicely taken.

He looks great. Shane he won't be with us until next year but I'm glad we got him tied down before anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Matip not strong enough physically to deal with Wood and win the ball, no need for Klavan to go for the ball and Can once again not tracking back and oblivious to any danger.
    Rodgers' Liverpool were a soft touch defensively at the end of his tenure, Klopp comes in, and have we seen any kind of improvement in how we defend?? No. Nearly two years at the club and we're still making the same mistakes over and over again. And are we learning from them?? Nope.
    Dont know why we paid 40m for the ox when we are so deficient at the back.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be criticising Klopp for the defending but two of the last 3 goals we've conceded have been from stupid individual mistakes, can you account for that in training?

I don't know but we've conceded 8 goals in our last 3 games. That's mad stuff, and two of the 3 teams in that sequence didn't even want to attack us, they showed up for a 0-0.

Yer right though about the performance today and creating things, no argument at all.
    But Sevilla attacked 3 or 4 times and they got 2 goals in exchange.
    And Burnley attacked twice and got one goal and a goal-line clearance.

Like it's fairly worrying despite the overall performance being good as you said.

(And I'm getting a major pain in my arse not wanting to watch MOTD 2 weeks in a row :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Klopp out boys are on 606.

Robbie Savage can't stop laughing.

Carra in as manager lol

Since Didi came out with the no improvement at the back in two years speel I've read it several times on here.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Matip not strong enough physically to deal with Wood and win the ball

Yeah you're spot on there by the way. He has to be stronger than that. If Lovren got bullied like that people would be on his tits big time.
    Matip was very poor for the goal.

• Advertisement

Since Didi came out with the no improvement at the back in two years speel I've read it several times on here.

When did he say it? Because it's been a fairly common comment hear for a long time

The Klopp out boys are on 606.

Robbie Savage can't stop laughing.

Carra in as manager lol

I'd have Hodgson back sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Its the other way round, Didi just repeating what we've been saying on here for a while now. I've always said it about Moreno in particular...has he improved defensively since he first joined the club. The answer is no. Lovern? No.
    If you cant improve them, or they wont learn, or keep making the sames mistakes...then ship them out!! And upgrade them!! Dont spend a club record 40m on player where you're already stacked in that department...spend it on the part that needs addressing.

When did he say it? Because it's been a fairly common comment hear for a long time

Midweek.....I've only noticed it on here since.
    Us being sh1t at the back is commonly mentioned alright. The no improvement since he came in not so much IMO.

Yeah you're spot on there by the way. He has to be stronger than that. If Lovren got bullied like that people would be on his tits big time.
    Matip was very poor for the goal.

He doesn't have that nasty bastrd streak you want in a centre half. Good defender but just too nice.

There was one occasion that had me literally screaming at the TV - long ball over the top by Burnley and all it needed was Matip to step across his man to make sure he didn't get to it, but he was bullied out of the way instead.

Matip wasn't great for the goal but when one CB gets beaten by his man you expect the other there to clean up for him, instead Klavan decided he'd stand right beside Matip and leave the two of them stranded. Had Klavan stayed put the ball was falling right to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augeo wrote:

It's not speel tho, most of our defenders are poor to atrocious & we have 2 unreliable goalies.
    That Klopp bought Chamberlain for 40 million & did not even look to get a centre back instead worries me. We have Coutinho & Lallana to come into the side even if we never bought him.
    I think we are getting worse defensively. We kept clean 2 clean sheets this season. One steamrolling Arsenal & the other vs Palace who haven't scored yet in the league.
    Some of the defenders who failed under Rodgers are still around now 2 years later that confuses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is the club in a better position right now than when Klopp took over?

I would say it is in a lot better shape both behind the scenes and squad wise.

Is there faults to with the team and the manager of course.

Can these faults be addressed and fixed over the next few seasons I think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Thank **** spurs are so ****e at home this season. Think we can pip arsenal and spurs to a spot in the top 4.

also our future savior naby keita was sent off today for leipzig

He doesn't have that nasty bastrd streak you want in a centre half. Good defender but just too nice.

There was one occasion that had me literally screaming at the TV - long ball over the top by Burnley and all it needed was Matip to step across his man to make sure he didn't get to it, but he was bullied out of the way instead.

Yeah I know and you're right. But is that not fairly symptomatic of our entire team?

Is there even one fella out of our entire squad who has a healthy dose of cynicism/nastiness? Even one?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement