Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah I know and you're right. But is that not fairly symptomatic of our entire team?

Is there even one fella out of our entire squad who has a healthy dose of cynicism/nastiness? Even one?

Haven't had that *ahem* bite in the squad since Suarez and Sktrel left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

ricero wrote: »

also our future savior naby keita was sent off today for leipzig

Disgraceful carry on

Leipzig should just get shot of him sooner rather than later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

x43r0 wrote: »
    Disgraceful carry on

He was inspired by Mane by the looks of things

https://twitter.com/BrianMurphyLFC/status/909118655631380481

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

For a fcuking high boot no less, unbelievable :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we are looking for a player in the squad with a bit *ahem* bite Mane is that player he isn't shy of putting this foot in.

I'd prefer if a CM or a DM had it thought.

I'd also love to have the usual "yellow card" for Lucas still in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Shocking tackle. Poor keeper.

Yep, he's our man! We fcukin love that stuff here Naby :)

71% Possession

35 Shots

12 Corners

It's not all the defences fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

emmetkenny wrote: »
    That's what I'm saying. We seem to have an awful lot of individual mistakes costing us goals, way more than other teams.
    Klopp's system relies upon the team operating as a unit, it doesn't need world class players in every position but it does require a great deal of organisation and players to perform their roles.

It breaks down because:

- centre backs don't communicate/organise.
    The centre backs see the game in front of them and need to be the organisers.

- full backs don't track back.
    The full backs need to be on their toes so that they can break forward once the team has possession and also have the defensive discipline to track back or tuck in when the team loses possession.

- midfielders and forwards don't put the energy into their defensive game.
    The front six need to close down space, block potential runs and passes to starve the opposition.

- players ignore potential danger.
    Players need to be mentally switched on and anticipating bad things happening - a lot of the 2016/17 pre-season training focussed on this and it paid dividends at the beginning of the season. This appears to have been forgotten a refresher course may be needed.

At present we are afflicted by all four of these issues. The biggest problem is the lack of communication, the team is hamstrung without it. It's not going to change without changing the personnel - Klopp is too loyal to the players.

Talisman wrote: »
    The biggest problem is the lack of communication, the team is hamstrung without it. .

Lets just say that's the problem. How does rotating your keepers and changing the back 4 every game fix that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks like Spurs are having the same problem we are.

71% Possession

35 Shots

12 Corners

It is though. 71% possession also means they had 29%.

And they still managed to score first and have a shot off the line. And they only left their half of the field twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Today was Groundhog Day.

Today was Groundhog Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Today is Groundhog Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

Is there even one fella out of our entire squad who has a healthy dose of cynicism/nastiness? Even one?

I actually think Solanke has a bit of a nasty streak to him but the fact a young lad like that is the only one I can think of is pretty disappointing.

We need a few Souness, Aldridge, Hyppia, Case and McDermott type characters in the team.

Even VVD, if he comes, doesn't come across to me as being "hard" in any way. Big, athletic and silky smooth to watch but he isn't going to do the nasty stuff and set a tone for the rest of the team is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Today is Groundhog Day

Today is Groundhog Day :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It is though. 71% possession also means they had 29%.

And they still managed to score first and have a shot off the line. And they only left their half of the field twice.

Well it is nearly a third of the ball what do you expect. Teams will always have a chance or two. We have one of the best managers in the world at this club we love and we are still moaning. He ain't perfect but **** me he plays great ball and he has Liverpool back in the champions league.

Lets just say that's the problem. How does rotating your keepers and changing the back 4 every game fix that?
    Given that there isn't an organiser amongst them I don't see how having a settled back line is going to fix things particularly when the players in front of them are not performing their roles. The defence has had problems since before Klopp arrived and that's not going to change before January. Rotating the defenders isn't the reason why we failed to win today.

Liverpool had 35 shots on goal. 9 of which were on target and 1 goal was scored (Shots on Target : 25.7%, Conversion Rate : 11.1%).

The Premier League average for last season was 49.2% of shots were on target (Liverpool: 54.6%) , of which 15.6% were scored (Liverpool: 18.5%). This season our shots on target had increased to 55.6% but the conversion rate is down significantly to 12.5%.

Shots on Target : 54.6% -> 55.6% (+1.8%)
    Conversion Rate : 18.5% -> 12.5% (-32.4%)

The numbers speak for themselves, we're well off of last years level for scoring goals. That's not going to do the defenders any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool are in with a shout of winning the Fair Play league every year which tells us all we need to know about the level of bite in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well it is nearly a third of the ball what do you expect. Teams will always have a chance or two. We have one of the best managers in the world at this club we love and we are still moaning. He ain't perfect but **** me he plays great ball and he has Liverpool back in the champions league.

People need to understand this. People have set unrealistic expectations for themselves. This season should be about consolidation rather than pushing on.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    People need to understand this. People have set unrealistic expectations for themselves. This season should be about consolidation rather than pushing on.
    OH NO THEY DON'T! This place is monotonous when people are in agreement with each other.

• Advertisement

Is boards having it's weekly meltdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think we'll get top 4, that's a fine season, not great but fine. Add a domestic cup or CL quarter finals and I'll be more than happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

71% Possession

35 Shots

12 Corners

In the main, yes it is.

If the defence had anything about them, we only need one goal to win that game. Burnley were absolutely shíte.

But you can be shíte and beat us. We're the easiest team to beat in the League if you're shít. Just work hard, be compact, sit deep, win a couple of set pieces, and you've a good chance of getting a result.

Is boards having it's weekly meltdown?
    Posts disappearing and then re-appearing?

Yeah teams will usually have a chance or two but it's unusual (generally) that teams score from virtually every attack.

Check how many shots on target we have conceded this season and compare it to how many goals and it's almost 100%

Burnley scored today from their first attack. The first time they left their own side of the field. And its a goal.
    They could have had a second only for a goal line clearance.

Im a huge Klopp fan by the way. It's unfortunate that if you dare criticise things that you end up being the bad guy.
    I am only giving my opinion, and yeah he will do great things with us eventually.
    If only it was ok to be honest about the negatives and still believe in the manager long term......

Posts disappearing and then re-appearing?

Yep, has more technical issues than we have defensive issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Can't blame the usual scapegoats of henderson, moreno and Lovren today, they were actually missed.

Mig - showed exactly why klopp is trying out karius. The chance matip cleared off the highlights that. He never bails us out either.
    TAA - I love the kid so not knocking him but not good enough today. Beat for a couple of headers and wasted some god awful crosses.
    Matip - goal aside he was decent great clearance
    Klavan - for me most at fault for the goal and was totally unacceptable
    Robinson - solid but didn't offer much, can see why klopp is going with moreno for now. Prob needs games to get up to speed with our attacking play
    Can - laboured, awful, waste full and didnt move the ball quick enough. We really missed henderson today imo
    Milner - did ok but shouldn't play in a midfield with Can he just hasn't the agility or guile needed
    Coutinho - some decent touches and close control. Bad decision making and very greedy at time
    Firmino - not at the races away from his cf role. Think he struggled with the lack of movement/pace around him.
    Salah - head and shoulders our best player
    Sturridge - anonymous throughout, I actually thought he had been replaced by solanke at one stage and forgot he was still on the pitch

Check how many shots on target we have conceded this season and compare it to how many goals and it's almost 100%
    These stats are for the Premier League only. This season to date we've conceded 39 shots on goal, 19 of which were on target (48.7%) and 9 goals have been conceded (47.4%).

Liverpool had 35 shots on goal. 9 of which were on target and 1 goal was scored (Shots on Target : 25.7%, Conversion Rate : 11.1%).

The Premier League average for last season was 49.2% of shots were on target (Liverpool: 54.6%) , of which 15.6% were scored (Liverpool: 18.5%). This season our shots on target had increased to 55.6% but the conversion rate is down significantly to 12.5%.

Shots on Target : 54.6% -> 55.6% (+1.8%)
    Conversion Rate : 18.5% -> 12.5% (-32.4%)

The numbers speak for themselves, we're well off of last years level for scoring goals. That's not going to do the defenders any favours.
    These stats are for the Premier League only. This season to date we've conceded 39 shots on goal, 19 of which were on target (48.7%) and 9 goals have been conceded (47.4%).

If you ignore the man city game we are grand at worst.

If we get 4th this season it's another overachievement IMO.

Wow thats impressive. Dunno where you got that from but fair play.

So that means if you have 2 shots on target against us you score once.

I thought it would have been even worse than that. But it doesnt include Hoffenheim and Sevilla.

Anyway good stat fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sometimes a team can be so attack minded that they push a weaker team back and back. It's why a team like Chelsea who can attack, prefer to sit back and keep their shape, feeling their way into a game and encouraging the opposition into having to play some football, as the possession is more evenly balanced. Today we had 90% of the ball, I dunno what Burnley could do except sit back and take it.
    Maybe if we kept our shape and didn't have full backs bombing forward and kept a more controlled approach we would see better opportunities to score, rather can 50 half chances like today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sometimes a team can be so attack minded that they push a weaker team back and back. It's why a team like Chelsea who can attack, prefer to sit back and keep their shape, feeling their way into a game and encouraging the opposition into having to play some football, as the possession is more evenly balanced. Today we had 90% of the ball, I dunno what Burnley could do except sit back and take it.
    Maybe if we kept our shape and didn't have full backs bombing forward and kept a more controlled approach we would see better opportunities to score, rather can 50 half chances like today.

We actually had 71% of the ball Toby

emmetkenny wrote: »
    We actually had 71% of the ball Toby

Yea I know, I'm just exaggerating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Some gob****e that fella

Wow thats impressive. Dunno where you got that from but fair play.

So that means if you have 2 shots on target against us you score once.

I thought it would have been even worse than that. But it doesnt include Hoffenheim and Sevilla.

Anyway good stat fella.
    The Premier League stats are tallied from the official site.

The stats for the Champions League games are similar:

29 Shots on Goal
    10 Shots on Target (34.5%)
    5 Goals Conceded (50%)

Good man Toby! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You tend to do that a bit alright :pac:

Sounds like Rodney Marsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yeah teams will usually have a chance or two but it's unusual (generally) that teams score from virtually every attack.

Burnley scored today from their first attack. The first time they left their own side of the field. And its a goal.
    They could have had a second only for a goal line clearance.

Im a huge Klopp fan by the way. It's unfortunate that if you dare criticise things that you end up being the bad guy.
    I am only giving my opinion, and yeah he will do great things with us eventually.
    If only it was ok to be honest about the negatives and still believe in the manager long term......

Apologies didn't mean to single you out.

Apologies didn't mean to single you out.

ha, don't be daft. I'd never take offence, we're all on the same side.
    Yer grand. Enjoy yer night fella. :)

Klopp has loyalty to his players, the set up is good in my opinion, the individual errors are down to the players. If one was to eliminate those errors we'd be more solid at the back, when we concede it's rarely down to good play from the opposition, it's down to something like Lovern kicking air, or Can switching off and letting his man go, or Moreno chasing a Squirrel.
    He believes in those players though, and is taking the heat for their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

That's fair enough and I'll settle for the CL and FA Cup. :pac:
    I'm in the let's get 2 3 camp and all for consiladition.
    I was pleased with the starting line-up and that was the sort of controlled game one would expect but but but wasteful...

Two glorious chances on a plate for our 'most natural goalscorer' that he completely fluffed. And motd didn't even show them all.

Definitely a penalty but Solanke has to be finishing that.

Didn't know it was a stonewall penalty, but MOTD clearly showed it was black and white 1000% a penalty.

• Advertisement

What was Milner giving out Matip for when he cleared it off the line?

Probably that it was Matips man who was heading it towards goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Steven Gerrard's U18s had a better day, beating Boro 4-3 with a Liam Miller hat-trick plus one from Rafael Camacho in the Premier League Cup.
    The U18s manager told Liverpoolfc.com: "I am pleased to get the win but defensively we have to do much better as a team.

"We went a goal up and I was thinking this could be a comfortable game but we just continued to make hard work for ourselves all of the time.

"I was pleased for Liam to get his hat-trick and he has had a good week after his performance against Sevilla in the UEFA Youth League.

"We should have made it a lot more comfortable than it was and we have to learn from this game.

"It felt like at times the lads felt it was too easy and they got complacent and made it more hard work than what it should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

ricero wrote: »
    x43r0 wrote: »
    Disgraceful carry on

He was inspired by Mane by the looks of things

https://twitter.com/BrianMurphyLFC/status/909118655631380481
    Don't mean to be nasty, but the first shot is very amusing. His face is there in slow motion, and the boot appears and moves towards his face :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Regarding Salah, thought he took his goal really well. That's the sort of finishing I hope to see more of.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement