Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He looks great. Shane he won't be with us until next year

our defence will still be sh1te though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Is the club in a better position right now than when Klopp took over?

I would say it is in a lot better shape both behind the scenes and squad wise.

Is there faults to with the team and the manager of course.

Can these faults be addressed and fixed over the next few seasons I think so.

if their defence is anything to go by....possibly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It'll be grand.

TAA's final ball was poor yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Expectations for TAA need to be tempered. He's an 18 year old boy getting his first run in the team - it's a massive step up from the U-23 level.

One of the muppets on MOTD (Shearer I think) was eager to point out how easily he was beaten in the air leading up to the goal. Maybe the club should send TAA to the Tower of London so he can get a few stretching sessions on the rack - it might encourage him to sprout a few more inches and improve his chances in those aerial challenges. I have no doubt that Sean Dyche would have told his players to target TAA when he saw the team sheet, that's the kind of tactical tweak that Burnley survive on.

It seems that klopp is going to embrace rotation this season while we're playing plenty games.

That'll take a few weeks to gel... like, coutinho & milner don't have many minutes and the both started yesterday.... Robertson & Sturridge in same boat.

Matip has had two different partners at CB in a week and their both fairly ****.. both full backs rotated too & the keeper.

I'm thinking it'll pay dividends from managing fatigue viewpoint so the teething problems are just that all going well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Talisman wrote: »
    I have no doubt that Sean Dyche would have told his players to target TAA when he saw the team sheet, that's the kind of tactical tweak that Burnley survive on.

Yeah sure he already said in an interview after the game that "we thought they would be weak aerially at right back".

That's fair enough to target him I suppose but not sure if he needed to say that publicly about an 18 year old kid.

..... he's taken points off us, Chelsea & spurs on a shoestring budget. He'll talk up his tactical successes.... not that it's profound stuff that taa isn't quite the complete full back as yet.

I think taa is great BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

groundhog-day-alarm-clock-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Talisman wrote: »
    Expectations for TAA need to be tempered. He's an 18 year old boy getting his first run in the team - it's a massive step up from the U-23 level.

One of the muppets on MOTD (Shearer I think) was eager to point out how easily he was beaten in the air leading up to the goal. Maybe the club should send TAA to the Tower of London so he can get a few stretching sessions on the rack - it might encourage him to sprout a few more inches and improve his chances in those aerial challenges. I have no doubt that Sean Dyche would have told his players to target TAA when he saw the team sheet, that's the kind of tactical tweak that Burnley survive on.

Or maybe we should have a top class right back and only start youngsters like TAA in important senior games when/if they become good enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Milkers wrote: »
    Or maybe we should have a top class right back and only start youngsters like TAA in important senior games when/if they become good enough?

Ding ding ding!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Only september and you can already see the impact of clynes loss on the team.

Our failure to defend the diagonal ball is a worry. Teams are cleary using this as a tactic in nearly all our games this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well our first choice RB is Clyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Last season teams came to Anfield and we could not break them down, could not get a strike on goal. Yesterday we broke them down at will, had chance after chance and could not take them.
    We have all seen teams that were in their prime have days like this, Arsenal have had them, Man U have had them, Barcelona has had them, no matter what we did yesterday that game was ending 1-1. I'm putting that game down to one of those days where we could play for hours but the result would not change, I don't see it like those games at Anfield last season where we could not even create a clear cut chance, on another day we'd have won yesterdays game 6-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Coutinho speaks

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/17/philippe-coutinho-liverpool-job-offer-barcelona-interested
    “What happened was a job offer and, in life, sometimes you get interested; sometimes you don’t and, in my case, everyone knows that I got interested, my family too,” the Liverpool player admitted.

“As I have always said, it is a great offer to receive an offer from such a great club like that. But it is also a great honour being here. Liverpool is a great club worldwide. I’m here and I will give my best as always.

“It was a complicated month for me but as I have said, it is an honour to receive that offer but it is also an honour to wear this shirt, so what I can do is work hard and honour that on the field. It is all cool. I’m working hard, my thoughts are on the team’s goals, making a good season, with the national team too, doing my best to get there.”

I am in a place that I have always been given respect by everyone and I too respect everyone. I have conquered my space in four, five years and never had any problems with anyone – the fans, the board, my team-mates, the coaching staff. That has not changed. As I have said, in life, in every job you get an offer, interested or not. It is all in the past.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The only ones not showing Coutinho respect really were Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Speaking of them, they've just released the news that record signing Ousmane Dembele has ruptured a thigh tendon and is out for four months.

I've made no secret of the fact that I'd never wish injury on a player or take joy from such a situation, but with everything that's gone on between us and them this summer, I'm currently playing the world's tiniest violin. They are in serious bother now. :)

What's serious bother?
    Not winning CL and/or LA liga?

They gave juventus a moderate spanking during the week iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

1NP2aRK.gif
    Ding ding ding!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Where does Nathaniel Clyne fit in this radical plan?

Reading that Barca are going to try disrupt us even more by coming back in for Coutinho and Mane now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

martyos121 wrote: »
    Speaking of them, they've just released the news that record signing Ousmane Dembele has ruptured a thigh tendon and is out for four months.

I've made no secret of the fact that I'd never wish injury on a player or take joy from such a situation, but with everything that's gone on between us and them this summer, I'm currently playing the world's tiniest violin. They are in serious bother now. :)

They've been the standout team in Europe so far this season and hasn't had a whole lot to do with Dembele. I'm sure they'd piss themselves at the thought of a Liverpool fan playing a tiny violin for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Another high boot challenge given as a yellow against Chelsea there.

Looking forward to Tuesday's game just to put yesterday behind us and hopefully see some of the bench lads, Gomez at CB and Solanke starting maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Top rant, he does have a point, I can see the frustration and discontent growing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05gb005

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Top rant, he does have a point, I can see the frustration and discontent growing.

Don't know how you can take that lad seriously, he's talking proper shíte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Luiz tries bicycle kick and gets a yellow card, the game is ruined by stupid fcuking rules. Still 100% certain Mane should not even have been booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Luiz tries bicycle kick and gets a yellow card, the game is ruined by stupid fcuking rules. Still 100% certain Mane should not even have been booked.

I see them as completely different incidents . And I have no problems with Mane's red. It was deserved.

I agree with you there. Surely it was dangerous play what luiz did. He was surronded by men and connected flush with the players face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Another high boot challenge given as a yellow against Chelsea there.

Looking forward to Tuesday's game just to put yesterday behind us and hopefully see some of the bench lads, Gomez at CB and Solanke starting maybe.

I hope we're not going to see people whining about high boots every time anyone lifts their foot 6 inches off the ground.

Mane got sent off because what he did was incredibly dangerous. That's it.
    Forget about high high his boot was and focus on that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Last season teams came to Anfield and we could not break them down, could not get a strike on goal. Yesterday we broke them down at will, had chance after chance and could not take them.
    We have all seen teams that were in their prime have days like this, Arsenal have had them, Man U have had them, Barcelona has had them, no matter what we did yesterday that game was ending 1-1. I'm putting that game down to one of those days where we could play for hours but the result would not change, I don't see it like those games at Anfield last season where we could not even create a clear cut chance, on another day we'd have won yesterdays game 6-1

Did we really?

How well did their keeper play? Thought he was suspect for Salah's goal and then everything else he did would be expected of even a second choice keeper.

I thought we had a lot of awful potshots from range and Burnley deliberately gave us all the possession, so really the stats don't mean much to me.

The one real chance and the only really unlucky moment was the Salah penalty appeal / the Solanke chance. That's probably the only incident where you could think "ah we were a bit unlucky there".

I honestly think that if you ran yesterday's match 10 times, we would only win 6 of them, which is not good enough and which is what really concerns me that the issues have not been addressed.

I think based on what we saw yesterday, if you play that match 10 times under the same conditions we win it 6 times, draw it 3 times and Burnley nick it once. If it was a match that on the balance of quality of chances created we could say 8 or 9 times out of 10 we'd win it, then I'd be happy to chalk it down to just bad luck or "one of those days", but I think it goes deeper than that because it's so similar to what we saw last season, and quite honestly we just did not create very many quality chances or rack up a huge degree of pressure on the goal.

Even the Palace win earlier this season really could have easily gone another way (think of Benteke's chance). Not going to say we were lucky to win it but the margins are fine and in that particular game we were depending on a usually reliable striker fluffing his lines. It shouldn't come down to that really. We should be more in a position where we're saying 8 or 9 times out of 10 we win these easy home games, based on our dominance of the game and the ball of course, but also based on the quality of our attacking and defending in key moments.

Unfortunately I predict more dropped points and frustration in matches like this because we have problems at both ends when playing teams who come to Anfield with this game plan.

• Advertisement

shaunr68 wrote: »

Liverpool fan Frank? Who gives a poo what Frank thinks... to be fair.

Should we beat Leicester in the next league game we'll be a point shy of 2ppg after 6 games... nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Morzadec wrote: »
    Did we really?

How well did their keeper play? Thought he was suspect for Salah's goal and then everything else he did would be expected of even a second choice keeper.

I thought we had a lot of awful potshots from range and Burnley deliberately gave us all the possession, so really the stats don't mean much to me.

The one real chance and the only really unlucky moment was the Salah penalty appeal / the Solanke chance. That's probably the only incident where you could think "ah we were a bit unlucky there".

I honestly think that if you ran yesterday's match 10 times, we would only win 6 of them, which is not good enough and which is what really concerns me that the issues have not been addressed.

I think based on what we saw yesterday, if you play that match 10 times under the same conditions we win it 6 times, draw it 3 times and Burnley nick it once. If it was a match that on the balance of quality of chances created we could say 8 or 9 times out of 10 we'd win it, then I'd be happy to chalk it down to just bad luck or "one of those days", but I think it goes deeper than that because it's so similar to what we saw last season, and quite honestly we just did not create very many quality chances or rack up a huge degree of pressure on the goal.

Even the Palace win earlier this season really could have easily gone another way (think of Benteke's chance). Not going to say we were lucky to win it but the margins are fine and in that particular game we were depending on a usually reliable striker fluffing his lines. It shouldn't come down to that really. We should be more in a position where we're saying 8 or 9 times out of 10 we win these easy home games, based on our dominance of the game and the ball of course, but also based on the quality of our attacking and defending in key moments.

Unfortunately I predict more dropped points and frustration in matches like this because we have problems at both ends when playing teams who come to Anfield with this game plan.

There was the Sturridge shot he scuffed in the opening two minutes, his shot into the side netting, the header he scuffed in around the 6 yard box, the Milner cross he failed to gamble on coming through to him, and another cross he failed to take a chance on. Maybe he's just too much of a 'natural goalscorer' to put one of them away.

There was the Milner volley, and the TAA volley. Yesterday was not like the games of last season, we had the chances to win.

Lol..... the turd is obsessed.
    Whenever Sturridge touches the ball and doesn't score Turty gets his........ out

Sturridge had 5 clear cut chances, milner one & taa one.

No mention of firmino or coutinho? Were they not playing turd? I suppose it's sturridges fault Bobby had no chances

And the shot that hit the post not mentioned in the turds analysis.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Augeo wrote: »
    Lol..... the turd is obsessed.
    Whenever Sturridge touches the ball and doesn't score Turty gets his........ out

Sturridge had 5 clear cut chances, milner one & taa one.

No mention of firmino or coutinho? Were they not playing turd? I suppose it's sturridges fault Bobby had no chances

And the shot that hit the post not mentioned in the turds analysis.

Lol

5 clear cut?

I think you are confusing them with half chances tbf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Sturridge did have 5 clear cut chances then that speaks badly of his natural finishing.

noodler wrote: »
    5 clear cut?

I think you are confusing them with half chances tbf!

:)

I was paraphrasing the turds analysis. you mustn't have read his post.

I agree with you, half chances X 3... the other two were might have been.... no guilt lined misses

Both Manchester clubs 5 points ahead of us now :(

Augeo wrote: »
    Both Manchester clubs 5 points ahead of us now :(

Lets be honest here we wont be challenging for the title this season especially with our defense.

All about consolidating top 4 for me this year

ricero wrote: »
    Lets be honest here we wont be challenging for the title this season especially with our defense.

All about consolidating top 4 for me this year

No doubt.... like the pension though, one needs to mind the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Take out Mane and Liverpool are average.

Its going to be a long season. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Agreed with that, there won't be a title challenge with that defence.
    Good to see spurs drop points yesterday and arsenal dropped two, but was hoping for a Chelsea win today.
    Would take this top 4: Man city, chelsea, Man utd, Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I nearly puke everytime I watch Mikhi and think what might have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Defence is a lost cause but we are pulling teams apart who are sitting back, it'll all click soon and the goals will rain in.
    I see a huge improvement in the style of attack from last year. Some crazy good counter attacks we have made this season.

Defence is ****ed though and klopp has to sort it out in January with Van Dijk or whoever else.

I'd be fearful we might need someone in midfield snuffing out danger as well as a competent CB to partner Matip before we see significant improvements in defence.

Hopefully that's in keitas skills locker.

If the next two transfer windows are nothing but defensive upgrades then I'll be more than happy.

I'd like to see us buy an out and out natural goal scorer something we are lacking big time and love to see us do a deal with R.B in January for Werner and let him stay there till the end of the season.

But they would hardly sell us their two best players and I would guess Werner next summer in an open market would go for crazy crazy money.

We still need another winger with pace I do hope we go back in for Lemar.

If Can goes we need another CM as well.

We will get VVD either in January or next summer I'b be pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

City and Utd had good starts last season are were nowhere near winning the title. Let's not wet the bed yet.

Also while upgrades are definitely required, we finished in top 4 last season even with our dodgy defence so people predicting 6 th or 7 th finishes is a bit OTT at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sturridges ding for Milner was world class, I thought it was the moment we needed. Table after 10 games will usually reflect the type of season we're going to have.
    5 down, 5 to go.
    We've conceded a goal for every one we've scored, you have to look to the relegation zone for teams that have 9 conceded after 5 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There might come a time where Klopp thinks, jaysus, we might have to have a look at this defensive situation. Stranger things have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Grayditch wrote: »
    There might come a time where Klopp thinks, jaysus, we might have to have a look at this defensive situation. Stranger things have happened.

We were happy to grind out results to a larger extent last year towards the end of the season to get over the line.

At this point, at the start of a new season, with new attacking talent available, that sounds an awful lot like giving up.

People were lampooning Palace for sacking DeBoer after he tried and had not yet succeeded to change their style of play, even at the cost of results.

Either you believe in the vision of the manager and you should back him, or you don't, and you shouldn't.

Maybe there's a tipping point where our finishing becomes so ruthless, our possession becomes so reliable or our press is so good at recovering the ball that we'll keep opponents away from dangerous areas of the pitch or be so far out of sight that it'll never matter if they score, but we're not going to solve the defensive problems in this team with new CBs or by having a team that never makes mistakes.

The former will still be exposed if the opposition are allowed to have the ball in certain areas.
    The latter is an impossibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement