Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Gbear wrote: »
    On the plus side I'd rather get knocked out of the League Cup at this stage than win it.

What? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

kfallon wrote: »
    Are you for real???

It's a tinpot cup and doesn't matter.

We won it in 2012 and I felt nothing.

It's a total irrelevancy and more of a hindrance than it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It clearly is from Agent Coulson.
    Snide ****e at every turn from him.

Henderson was good first half and in general was grand.
    We got a bit ragged when chasing the game as things went on but I don't think the system worked great 2nd half.
    It was a similar story with Grujic.

Tidy feet and good interplay first half but then he starts getting frustrated second half, starts throwing himself into tackles and diving at the slightest touch.

The whole midfield and ball carrying system dissolved when Coutinho went off.
    There wasn't really anyone taking the ball in midfield.
    Henderson is a go-between. If there's nobody to go between then he has to resort to trying things himself. It's not really his game but he didn't have any options in front of him when Coutinho was substituted.

With Grujic and Solanke up there we really should've gone more direct to them. They got a fair bit of joy any time the ball was in the air.

We found our rhythm again after a while but at best we still had the same problems as first half.

Poor final ball, not enough people in the box to take advantage of it when it wasn't, a bit of bad decision-making in the final third.
    A little bit of bad luck as well, but you make your own luck and we've been doing this too often for the past 18 months.

My only regret is that we bothered wasting Henderson and Wijnaldum's energy on a game in a competition that's irrelevant.

Attack the post not the poster!

Henderson is sh1t and has been for a long time time now and if people don't see it they are wearing blinkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    What is Ox anyway?

Utility man also screams mediocre at me anyway.

Much like his full name, he tries to do far too much and turns out pretty crap in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp
    ''another goal from a throw in, I'M SICK OF GOALS LIKE THIS''
    He's sticking to the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I daresay the fans in the stadium that day, and the players lifting the cup, may have felt differently about it.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the league cup than the FA cup. It comes at the best time of year, allows you to build winning momentum coming into a crunch time in the season, and lets you give the depth of your squad a run.

JonnyM wrote: »
    Gomez matip central defenders and Robertson at left back and Trent at right back is the way forward IMO.

Need to stop chopping and changing and stick with them so they can get used to playing together.

Too much changing recently in games at the back we need to have a settled back 4 week in week out.

That's true in every area of the pitch.

There's no partnerships being built up really.

Despite all Clyne's faults in attack, himself and Mane became an effective right flank when they played together last season.

Of course, the season is a long slog and it's entirely possible that the freshness we'll presumably have later on will be worth the teething problems we're having at the moment.

If we were in the hunt for the big prizes you'd have a point perhaps. We're not though, and wont be. Nothing wrong with silverware.

It could be called a typical armchair supporters opinion some would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Might be nice to win a trophy you know. Liverpool haven't won one in a while.

Klopp

'' tell them one time, 1000 times, still do it ''

He's not happy with players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ox played as a wingback as part of a back 5 for Arsenal, very different to being expected to play RB in a back 4. TAA-Matip-Gomez-Robertson is our best defence until Clyne comes back. I don't see any reason to not give Ward more opportunities but maybe Klopp will stick to Mignolet for the league and Karius for the CL stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Klopp
    ''another goal from a throw in, I'M SICK OF GOALS LIKE THIS''
    He's sticking to the players.

Did he actually say this or is this another mad Toby quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Absolute bollocks! Plenty of teams over last 10-12 years have benefited from winning it by going on to further glory in the League/Europe. Last two times we reached it we even ended up in another final later on.

Winning trophies is an irrelevancy.....fúck me I've heard it all now!

What's the point of being a fan if you don't care about winning a trophy?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I had a longer post written but boards ate it.

In summary, Chamberlain is awful, still have no idea why we bought him. Not a crisis yet by any means, but with 3 away games in Leicester again, Moscow and Newcastle coming up, things could get quite hairy pretty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You go on about Lovren and Moreno no matter how they perform though, and even if they don't play.

Henderson performed sh!te tonight and has been poison for weeks, several posters have pointed it out, because you like him doesn't make the criticism a personal campaign.

I'll back up my criticism of Lovren and Moreno with facts.

People here praise Moreno for the odd cross and also for not directly making an error leading to a goal. Does not mean he's played well in my book as defending is about more than that.

As for Lovren, he has cost us goals on numerous occasions over a sustained period of time.

Both players have also been widely criticised in the media.

Has Henderson done that? Has he cost us goals?

Yes, his form is not great but everybody knows his ability as he has shown in the past. Still think his sending off against Man City in 2014 cost us the title as we missed him as he was a key player for us.

So I know what he is capable of and I'm sure that form will return whereas I don't have that impression with Moreno and Lovren.

emmetkenny wrote: »

He did (though without the caps lock).

It's all about 4th baby. Arsenal II FC

This is what I think our best team currently is. Goalkeeper doesn't really matter as they're all around as good as each other but I'd like Ward to get the nod. Bring in Clyne and Lallana for TAA and Wijnaldum when fit.

ZiAOtQl.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Despite all Clyne's faults in attack, himself and Mane became an effective right flank when they played together last season.

I see Robertson teaming well with Mane on the left and Clyne and Salah should be a good foil for each other on the opposite side.

• Advertisement

Scary when that back 4 is our best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Lads make a match thread real quick, the invalids will be on their way here otherwise!
    On the plus side I'd rather get knocked out of the League Cup at this stage than win it.

Well, you weren't wrong.

Attack the post not the poster!

Henderson is sh1t and has been for a long time time now and if people don't see it they are wearing blinkers.

I am. I'm attacking the snide ****e you constantly post about Henderson.

Not only are you frequently wrong and just say he's playing ****e regardless of whether he is or not, but you seem to take any poor performances, real or imagined, personally.

When did Hendo piss in your cornflakes?

Henderson has been bad more often than good this season but our midfield as a whole has been a bit of a mess and he hasn't been the worst offender.
    Wijnaldum has been the worst of the lot and has largely escaped criticism, and Can hasn't been any better than Henderson has.

Unsurprisingly Henderson looked better today first half, with quicker, shorter passing, with Coutinho in front of him.
    We need that player for our system to work.

Booting it down the channels to Salah and Mane has worked to a degree but there's a been a marked lack of finesse to our midfield play and our buildup as a whole outside of what's been improvised by lads on the edge of the box.

Chamberlain showed elements of what we need from a player filling in there tonight (although Coutinho's back so it's not as big a deal) but while he carried the ball well, his use of it in all forms was pants. Hopefully that gets better as he gets a feel for what's going on around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He did (though without the caps lock).

He probably saved the caps lock for the dressing room.

Let's hope we're having our "blip" early this season because I'm starting to get very worried now. When you get stuck in these ruts they can be hard to get out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

murpho999 wrote:

What does Henderson do at the moment? What is he good at? Genuine question. Not having a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Winning mentality is winning trophies no matter the competition not 10 games on the spin that deliver nothing.

This is what I think our best team currently is. Goalkeeper doesn't really matter as they're all around as good as each other but I'd like Ward to get the nod. Bring in Clyne and Lallana for TAA and Wijnaldum when fit.

ZiAOtQl.png

Yup, would have to agree with all of that... would nearly have Lallana as first-sub for all 3 midfielders. If replacing Can, having Wijnaldum move to 6, with Coutinho and Lallana in front of him. Whichever 3 from those 4 are in better form at any time.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Scary when that back 4 is our best

Nothing wrong with Matip and Robertson, Gomez hasn't played CB a lot but what he's done he's done well and until he routinely fcuks up half as much as Lovren or Klavan I'm happy with him there, TAA is very raw but a fine stopgap until Clyne comes back.

I see Robertson teaming well with Mane on the left and Clyne and Salah should be a good foil for each other on the opposite side.

Definitely.

There's no case at all for Moreno anymore.

There's no excuse that he's literally the only LB we have.

Robertson looks better in pretty much every department except pace.

The only issue is maybe Coutinho could pass to him a little more.

How happy would you have been to win the Audi cup?

• Advertisement

He said it '' it's a 90 minute game, should have won it in first half.Goals from a corner again, and a second ball after a throw in, I'M SICK OF GOALS LIKE THIS TO BE HONEST, UNBELIEVABLE ! You can't play football, like this. We give them life in game because we are not clinical, but then we need to stay concentrated, at least not allow them score , they score too easy , first goal we don't push up together, I can tell them 1 time, 1000 times, so it's not nice to concede these goals, again because of this ! ''

Sticking to the players.

56 attempts at goal in the last two games and 1 goal scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

United won the FA Cup in 2016 and people said it was a tournament that's lost its mojo.

They started last season with the Community Shield and people called it a friendly.

They won the League Cup after that and people called it a Mickey Mouse competition.

They finished the season with the Europa League and people called it the poor man's Champions League.

But that's what's a culture of winning looks. Greedily chasing and celebrating silverware of any and every variety. It's what Liverpool were once the best in Europe at.

Winning mentality is winning trophies no matter the competition not 10 games on the spin that deliver nothing.

So long as the players have it that's what matters.

I want them to want to win every game they play.

Whether or not I give a ****e about it isn't terribly important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Fantastic start to the season,the arsenal game aside we have been pure muck and that's only because they were so bad themselves on the day,klopp has some serious work ahead tbh

Fantastic start to the season,the arsenal game aside we have been pure muck and that's only because they were so bad themselves on the day,klopp has some serious work ahead tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Another ****e performance in this Cup whilst being underperforming in the league.

Time and time again we've continued to use this strategy of putting out weakened sides in this competition, which is grand but I would've liked Klopp and our previous managers to not do it when the team is already under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thought Ward was decent. Looked confident.

Chamberlain an utterly pointless signing. And for 35M too. Said it before we even signed him. His one trick is to knock the ball 10 yards ahead and try and race the defender to it.

Apart from just it was typical Liverpool fare recently. Dominate the game. Create but don't take chances. Opposition take the first chance they get. And often the next too.

Not much point Klopp saying he's sick of conceding the same type of goal. He chose not to strengthen that defence when every Liverpool fan from Ballina to Brisbane knew we had to during the Summer. It's not being wise in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

How happy would you have been to win the Audi cup?

If you think some pre season friendly is equal to the League Cup then you need to give up the game!

The Charity Shield is more like the Audi Cup and I wouldn't care about that glorified friendly.

When was the last time the winner of the Audi Cup got a spot in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just very nervous with the bull**** defence we have. I like Matip but Klavan is an immobile backup CB. Lovren is a basketcase of a defender. Who's next? Gomez? He looks promising but not ready to help us push on.

What if Matip gets injured?

It's crazy to be relying on a free transfer from last year. It's a long wait to January. We ****ing had to buy another CB in the summer. Even another Caulker loan - we identified the defence as needing strengthening way back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Another classy tribute by LFC this evening. After last weekend's birthday celebrations, it was nice to see our attackers refuse to put the ball into Leicester's net as a touching tribute to Ronnie Rosenthal's miss versus Villa on this day 25 years ago.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with Matip and Robertson, Gomez hasn't played CB a lot but what he's done he's done well and until he routinely fcuks up half as much as Lovren or Klavan I'm happy with him there, TAA is very raw but a fine stopgap until Clyne comes back.

Matip is ok. Robertson looks ok so far. Gomez hasn't played at CB , that's enough for me. Fair enough he could be decent there but he's untested. TAA, the same, he's been hit and miss for me so far.

A far too inexperienced lineup imo. No leaders. A problem since Carra, and Hypia went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Ardent

You could see the hurt on Klopp's face tonight. I'm not calling a crisis yet but it's not far off.

For me, there's a fundamental problem with his teams - there's no spine. By that I mean, like our rivals, a top class keeper and top centre backs and, most importantly, a world-class disciplined holding midfielder in the mould of Roy Keane, Ngolo Kante, etc.

We have such a soft centre, it undoes all of our great attacking play.

Again, I don't really see how the CBs were much of an issue today and honestly I thought Klavan was even quite good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Thought Ward was decent. Looked confident.

Chamberlain an utterly pointless signing. And for 35M too. Said it before we even signed him.

Apart from just it was typical Liverpool fare recently. Dominate the game. Create but don't take chances. Opposition take the first chance they get. And often the next too.

£40 million. And was in the last year of his contract too.

Clear from that interview he is sick of telling players not to be doing the things they do, and they still do it. They switch off and allow teams to score.
    Can't recall last time a team played good football against us and cut us open to score, seems every goal we concede is down to stupidity on our part.

Why is it that nobody gives a shít about what we pay for players until it can be used as a stick to beat one with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'll back up my criticism of Lovren and Moreno with facts.

People here praise Moreno for the odd cross and also for not directly making an error leading to a goal. Does not mean he's played well in my book as defending is about more than that.

As for Lovren, he has cost us goals on numerous occasions over a sustained period of time.

Both players have also been widely criticised in the media.

Yes, his form is not great but everybody knows his ability as he has shown in the past. Still think his sending off against Man City in 2014 cost us the title as we missed him as he was a key player for us.

So I know what he is capable of and I'm sure that form will return whereas I don't have that impression with Moreno and Lovren.

He has'nt cost us goals directly, but he's hurting the team when he plays.
    Hendo's game is based on pressing and running and the injuries have taken their toll on him, he does'nt have that burst of speed any more and let's be honest he was never that great in a tackle, both of those combined means he's a passenger at best when played in a DM role.

Again i'll say i've defended him stoutly for the last 2 years, but i would think it unlikely his best form will return.

Just going from memory i believe he tool that red for the team that day against City, and i remember thinking he done the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Again, I don't really see how the CBs were much of an issue today and honestly I thought Klavan was even quite good!

It's nice to put a positive spin on it but we have a heavy fixture list ahead and our only options for CB during that time are Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez. Do you really think that we can get anywhere with that defence?

Add to that the perenial GK crisis which isnt being helped by Klopp trying to slowly push in Karius over Mignolet. It's all uneasy.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Why did you get hammered before the game?

Why not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don't care about tonight as long as Liverpool win on Saturday

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement