Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's nice to put a positive spin on it but we have a heavy fixture list ahead and our only options for CB during that time are Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez. Do you really think that we can get anywhere with that defence?

I think it'll be a bumpy road for sure. The personnel aren't great but the system is set up to make them look bad. I think it's vital to establish a partnership in central defence rather than shifting them around every game, and I think our best partnership will be Matip-Gomez.

Hendo, Can and Wijnaldum are as inconsistent as each other. They all have serious room for improvement tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very fondly remembering Carragher right now. He would have fučked those lads out of it.

This is the moment that the ball is headed down to Okazaki

0c24cd7bac8b152e92a931888e820fbd.png

In the box there are 4 Liverpool defenders against 4 Leicester attackers. Henderson is stood behind Okazaki, Wijnaldum out to the side, and Grujic isn't even on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Hendo, Can and Wijnaldum are as inconsistent as each other. They all have serious room for improvement tbh.

Or maybe any pair out of the three will perform better with a good controlling Mf behind them.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

This is the moment that the ball is headed down to Okazaki

0c24cd7bac8b152e92a931888e820fbd.png

In the box there are 4 Liverpool defenders against 4 Leicester attackers. Henderson is stood behind Okazaki, Wijnaldum out to the side, and Grujic isn't even on screen.

I think it was yourself that said just after they scored, our midfield just evacuated the box, nail on the head.
    And madness when we don't have possession.
    Everyone seems to be so fixated on breaking down the field quickly that we forget to bring the ball with us.

Henderson/Wijnaldum/Can are all too similar. When everybody's fit only one of them should be playing most games. Our midfield looks a whole lot better when it's balanced, which thanks to Lallana's injury and Coutinho's behaviour it hasn't been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Clear from that interview he is sick of telling players not to be doing the things they do, and they still do it. They switch off and allow teams to score.
    Can't recall last time a team played good football against us and cut us open to score, seems every goal we concede is down to stupidity on our part.

Sounds like he balamed the attack for not putting the game to bed before Leicester go their chance. AS to the "I'm sick of conceding goals like this" line - you have to wonder: goals like what? Goals when we're not winning or goals from sloppy defending...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Or maybe any pair out of the three will perform better with a good controlling Mf behind them.

Just a thought.

Perhaps. Who knows. They all look bang average to me anyway so far this season.

• Advertisement

Sounds like he balamed the attack for not putting the game to bed before Leicester go their chance. AS to the "I'm sick of conceding goals like this" line - you have to wonder: goals like what? Goals when we're not winning or goals from sloppy defending...?

Well the quote is "...the goals we conceded are a second ball from a corner and a throw in again. I'm sick of this." So goals like that I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well the quote is "...the goals we conceded are a second ball from a corner and a throw in again. I'm sick of this." So goals like that I guess.

Fair enough. Be interesting to see if he actualyl does anything about it.

0-0 draw on Sunday.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did he actually say this or is this another mad Toby quote?

Yup.... he seemed more annoyed at defence than the attack.

Indeed. Wij is as bad as the other two this season. Coutinho needs to be in the midfield 3 unless lallana is IMO.

In isolation I wouldn't worry about tonight, losing to PL opposition in the first outing of league cup isn't a huge black mark.

But when coutinho & your £40m recent purchase start the game youre thinking that we aren't messing about tonight.

As others have mentioned, ward & Robertson should be ahead of Moreno & karius in the pecking order. So too gomez with respect to Klavan. If klopp takes that away from tonight it'll be beneficial.

Unfortunately his love for Karius is strong I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Reap what you sow and all that.

Our issues on the pitch could be seen by a blind man from the car park.

What did we do about it?

Fvck all!

Found 35m for a sh1t Ryan Babel though.

Up the reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

daithijjj wrote: »

What did we do about it?

Fvck all!

Up the reds.

Bit harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Perhaps. Who knows. They all look bang average to me anyway so far this season.

I think the three of them have done best during their careers whilst playing in a more forward role in midfield.

• Advertisement

The assumption that Oxlade-Chamberlain was bought using money that would otherwise be used to purchase a CB is "they faked the moon landing" levels of bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

brevity wrote: »
    Might be nice to win a trophy you know. Liverpool haven't won one in a while.

Don't worry. We got your backs on that one.

How weird is it to be obsessed with a team that your own hasn't been in the same league as for 14 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

niallo27 wrote: »
    Bit harsh

Is it? We can **** over how good we are going forward and how entertaining we are until the cows come home but meanwhile we'll be drawing and losing too many games to reach our competitive objectives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Our attack now has a 1 in 65 goal to chances created conversion rate.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »

Up the reds.

It's weird when you sell ibe for 15m and spend 2.5 times that a window or 3 later on Ox

IMO of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Didn't see the game but from what I read (granted, thoughts directly after game are never the most level headed) but Hendo had another poor game. Whatever about people's opinions which are varying he is surely in need of being dropped at this stage. Flanagan still knocking about the club, if he wasn't local he would be gone ages ago, 3/4 of a good season playing out of position 3 seasons ago is all he's mustered to date. He can't have many more than 50 senior games at his age now?
    Feel bad for ward, first good keeper in how long to come through academy and the next chance he will get to play is probably the fa Cup in January and by then he will probably have asked for a transfer understandably enough.
    League cup sure as hell ain't glorious but if we are being down to earth it was 1 of 2 competitions we had a good chance to win and we fell at the first hurdle. It's all going a bit tits up at the moment, not panacking but we need to get a good run going before the next international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Anybody else think Kopp is going to be under serious pressure if we don't beat Leicester on the weekend?

Too many bad goals conceded , too many bad results and not enough goals scored... Especially considering the number of chances we make.

"serious pressure" is about as vague a buzzword as "world class"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

daheff wrote: »
    Anybody else think Kopp is going to be under serious pressure if we don't beat Leicester on the weekend?

Too many bad goals conceded , too many bad results and not enough goals scored... Especially considering the number of chances we make.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

mosstin wrote: »
    No.

Well he should be. He is paid to win matches age get results.

Henderson quite likely will be on bench for weekend. Can didn't feature tonight.

I expect a front 3 of Bobby (out wide to facilitate our natural scorer playing centrally), salah & the just mentioned Daniel.

Coutinho, can & wij in midfield.

:)

Well he should be. He is paid to win matches age get results.

What is serious pressure then? Tell him he'll be sacked if he doesn't get back into form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Good to see both Gomez and Ings on the pitch together and not get season long injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I really think we are much better off out of this competition, we are already struggling with rotation this season.

Focus on turning the league form around and qualifying for the next round of the CL and hopefully we will still be in the mix around January

• Advertisement

Good to see both Gomez and Ings on the pitch together and not get season long injuries.

A genuinely lovely sentiment from yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

What is serious pressure then? Tell him he'll be sacked if he doesn't get back into form?

Well if form does not improve is that ok? I'm not sure what you mean. Having amazing attaching football is nonsense if you can't defend! It's why you lose matches. The gaps in the squad should have been bridged during the summer, it wasn't, now we are back to where we have been for the last 6 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Henderson should only be played as an "8 and half" as he was in the nearly season. But even then I don't think he has the physical strength to make more than the occasional darting run. He sure isn't getting back with the kind of speed/effort required this season. Obviously the alternatives to him are such that he has scant chance of starting a game in the "Lallana" position even with Adam out. Maybe it would be worth trying it at some point instead of Wiji with Coutinho to his left.

As a pure CM with DM responsibility he is a clear bust at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Someone please explain to me A: Why Henderson is captain

B: Why is Henderson wearing a red shirt.

Henderson should only be played as an "8 and half" as he was in the nearly season. But even then I don't think he has the physical strength to make more than the occasional darting run. He sure isn't getting back with the kind of speed/effort required this season. Obviously the alternatives to him are such that he has scant chance of starting a game in the "Lallana" position even with Adam out. Maybe it would be worth trying it at some point instead of Wiji with Coutinho to his left.

As a pure CM with DM responsibility he is a clear bust at this stage.

The DM position is a bit of a mess between Henderson and Can. I think Can is more naturally suited to it but really needs to get his head screwed on, he's who I'd have there for now anyway. Henderson is definitely best playing the middle role of the 3 CMs, with Coutinho or sometimes Lallana ahead of him. But even next season Keita will be in that role so I'm not sure he starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Would like to see sturridge play with robertson.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Would like to see sturridge play with robertson.

I'd like to see Sturridge play with Robertson & mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

One thing to take away from tonight is that Solanke is gonna be a good player for us. Potential bargain signing.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    One thing to take away from tonight is that Solanke is gonna be a good player for us. Potential bargain signing.

Indeed. Looks a great signing.
    Can see why origi was let out on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Quote: daithijjj

What did we do about it?

Fvck all!

Up the reds.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Bit harsh

On Babel?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed. Looks a great signing.
    Can see why origi was let out on loan.

At least Origi scored tonight! :D Had Solanke literally thrown his head at that Robertson cross Liverpool would have not lost that game.

At least Origi scored tonight! :D Had Solanke literally thrown his head at that Robertson cross Liverpool would have not lost that game.

He was far from perfect but you can see the latent potential. And I believe we have the manager to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

"serious pressure" is about as vague a buzzword as "world class"

OK, how about he's given a couple of games to turn it around or he gets the boot? We've not really gotten better as a team since he's taken over. Attack us better but defence is worse if anything. Midfield is better but goalkeeper hasnt changed. Squad is still a bit threadbare imo

OK, how about he's given a couple of games to turn it around or he gets the boot? We've not really gotten better as a team since he's taken over. Attack us better but defence is worse if anything. Midfield is better but goalkeeper hasnt changed. Squad is still a bit threadbare imo

Then no, that's ridiculously dumb.

We're in the Champions League after finishing in the top 4 last season, how is that not an improvement on where we were before Klopp joined? Finishing 6th, having sold our best player yet again and starting the new season in as bad a form as we ended the one previous, one which ended with us getting knocked out of the FA Cup semi final by Aston Villa, losing 3-1 to Palace and 6-1 to Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I think if we're being honest with ourselves, the domestic cup competitions were the 2 trophies we had a genuine chance of winning this season. We haven't solved the defence issue during the summer, and that was immediately evident in the 3 goals we conceded against Watford.

To crash at the first hurdle is really disappointing, especially to do so in the manner that we're so familiar with - being slow to second balls, switching off when the ball is out of play. A lot of players who are young/fringe will now have to wait months before they see 1st team action again.

Its really disheartening to know that when our attacking players are having a bad day, we're quite likely to gift a game to the opposition through stupid, stupid mistakes. Groundhog season incoming...

• Advertisement

....he'll get a couple of years at least.
    He's improved the squad significantly and is here not even two years.... only 73 Premier league games actually. Not long at all.

We haven't got better but our attack and midfield are both better... makes perfect sense.

Any talk of Klopp being under pressure is ludicrous. He's here for the long term. Thank god.

Then no, that's ridiculously dumb.

We're in the Champions League after finishing in the top 4 last season, how is that not an improvement on where we were before Klopp joined? Finishing 6th, having sold our best player yet again and starting the new season in as bad a form as we ended the one previous, one which ended with us getting knocked out of the FA Cup semi final by Aston Villa, losing 3-1 to Palace and 6-1 to Stoke.

To be fair, 12 points after 8 games wasn't as bad as the palace & stoke stuff.

Klopp has two windows to save his Liverpool career. And that's not hype that's just the reality of the game these days. If in 12 months this side are still as soft as warm butter between the halfway line and the goal line he'll be gone cos the results will be poor enough for that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Ardent

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement