Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

Klopp has two windows to save his Liverpool career. And that's not hype that's just the reality of the game these days. If in 12 months this side are still as soft as warm butter between the halfway line and the goal line he'll be gone cos the results will be poor enough for that to happen.

Can't see it TBH... we will surely get 70+ points in the pl.... and quite likely progress to last 16 of the CL.

Do that and a similar start to next year's PL as we've seen this year won't have FSG thinking of sacking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Klopp has two windows to save his Liverpool career. And that's not hype that's just the reality of the game these days. If in 12 months this side are still as soft as warm butter between the halfway line and the goal line he'll be gone cos the results will be poor enough for that to happen.

We have rarely not given a manager ample time to fix a broken team. We tend not to fire until the fan noise from the detractors gets above that of those who can find no fault. Klopp is a very likeable guy and that will stand to him as far as the fanbase are concerned. He has more support than many of his predecessors. He tends to speak very straight without wishy-washy crap. When its poor, he calls it. He will last a lot longer than two windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

brevity wrote: »

Henderson's skipping in that gif would be hilarious if not for the circumstances surrounding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Henderson's skipping in that gif would be hilarious if not for the circumstances surrounding it.

What was he even doing there?

Not marking anybody, not attempting to close down the cross, not attempting to get back to defend???

And painfully slow reactions from Klavan towards the breaking ball.

Exact same problems as last year. Opposition are faster to second balls in the box. Klopp said he saw this last season and was going to work on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can.

Not one of them is defensively minded. Not one. Look at every top team in the League, and in fact the world, and you'll struggle to find one team where there isn't a DM.

They're all better going forward than backwards. And they can run a lot.

Klopp let our one DM go.

He's set up his squad's midfield like this, so you can't be surprised if Okazaki is on his own in the box for the 1st, and you can't be surprised if your midfield allows Slimani to outmuscle them for the 2nd.

It's the same way you can't be surprised we're struggling in defence. We didn't buy anyone at CB to improve the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I was very open minded about the OxCham signing and I'm certainly not gonna make a definitive judgement of him from such a small sample size.

But he was absolutely horrendous last night. Worryingly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Think Arsenal have swindled us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Milkers wrote: »
    I was very open minded about the OxCham signing and I'm certainly not gonna make a definitive judgement of him from such a small sample size.

I think you can make a judgement. He is the same player as seen at Arsenal for years. Very ordinary and he is deluded if he thinks he's going to be a regular starter at Liverpool.

I mean he wanted to move to get more games and he moved to a better team than the one he was at. Moron.

Klopp may have filled his head with things like optimism and hope, but really he just wanted a squad player. If Ox wants to be a regular starter at a big club he has to start being a good player.

I thought Liverpool were unlucky with the draw to be honest. Leicester away is probably as bad as it could be, even worse than the top teams who would probably rest more players and be less inclined to care. I think Leicester will want to do something in the cups this year to back up their title success, and CL campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Henderson also got bullied off the ball that led to their throw up in the lead up..he-?'s our captain ffs

i thought Slimani fouled one of our players on the build up.... held on to him, got away with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Seriously there hasn’t been a leader on the pitch for Liverpool since Gerrardband Carragher finished up. Such a soft team with no fight at all.

totally agree.... you can even see it from the sky sports team line up graphics... most of the lads are smirking or laughing....

https://twitter.com/hashtag/YoullNeverWatchAlone?src=hash

YOU'RE IN FRONT OF THE TELLY SIMON, IN FRONT!!!!

Now I know what's being going wrong with him all this time.

Will we be any better for the same fixture at the weekend?

Front line changes to Coutinho, Firmino, Salah

Midfield goes back to Henderson, Wij, Can

Defence goes back to Gomez/TAA, Matip, Lovren, Moreno

Goalkeeper: Mignolet (if he manages to figure out what side of the telly he's on)

Would this team have won the game last night? With the chances created in the first half you would think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We've conceded 10 goals from 19 shots on target in the last 4 games. Its unacceptable no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

daithijjj wrote: »
    Reap what you sow and all that.

Our issues on the pitch could be seen by a blind man from the car park.

What did we do about it?

Fvck all!

Found 35m for a sh1t Ryan Babel though.

Up the reds.

lol

You have rated & defended Lovren for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

That was very frustrating to watch last night. Even trying to not get wound up because it was "only the League Cup" (seriously, we need to win a f*cking trophy at some point lads...), you wouldn't accept that lack of effort in a training session, let alone a competitive match.

We couldn't finish in the first half and after the break we were very poor.

Oxlade Chamberlain and Henderson, as some of the most experienced players on the pitch, were particularly disappointing, and Flanagan looks every bit a player who wasn't good enough to get near a PL team for the last few years. Klavan is playing far too high up the pitch for a player of his lack of pace too, just begging for trouble.

Robertson's crossing was very good, I'd happily start him at the weekend again, and I was delighted to see Ings play, if nothing else.

For me, we have to get a win at the weekend, just for the mood of the players'. Our January slump seems to have hit early this year...

I'd go with:

Mignolet
    Gomez - Lovren - Matip - Robertson
    Wijnaldum - Can - Coutinho
    Sturridge - Firmino - Salah

Could make an argument for Ox as a winger just to keep Firmino central, but AOC certainly hasn't done enough to displace anyone just yet.

Have to wary of Vardy's pace and the Leicester breakaway - they've punished us a lot over recent seasons with that. Need a goal (or 6) early on, I think.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    What was he even doing there?

Not marking anybody, not attempting to close down the cross, not attempting to get back to defend???

And painfully slow reactions from Klavan towards the breaking ball.

Exact same problems as last year. Opposition are faster to second balls in the box. Klopp said he saw this last season and was going to work on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/70uicx/cavanis_defensive_awareness/

Need more of this.

Cavani anticipated the danger and acted accordingly

Like someone else posted recently, Liverpool have no leaders and no real experience.

Milkers wrote: »

Last night was his first start for the club.....I have said I'm not a fan of the guy before he signed but I think he needs a few more starts before we get worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    lol

You have rated & defended Lovren for years.

Has he rated Klavan, Moreno, Mignolet, our general defensive depth and competence though? I think his position on where we are over the last 18 months has been very consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gbear wrote: »
    It's a tinpot cup and doesn't matter.

We won it in 2012 and I felt nothing.

It's a total irrelevancy and more of a hindrance than it's worth.

This tinpot cup stuff really fcuks me off.

Sure, if you've just won back to back league titles and are a contender for winning a european cup you can go on about how the league cup isn't worth the effort.

When you have won absolutely sod all in 5 years and rarely finished in European spots in the last 10, and haven't won a league in as long as we have you cannot go on about certain cups being beneath you.

The league cup was Liverpool's best chance of winning a trophy this year. We are long overdue one. FA Cup is now our only chance of not ending this season with the trophy cabinet bare yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

For all the doom and gloom we are currently 1 point up on the same fixtures from last year,
    Even if we lose on Saturday we'd still be doing slightly better than last term , win and we are already 4 points up

For all the doom and gloom we are currently 1 point up on the same fixtures from last year,
    Even if we lose on Saturday we'd still be doing slightly better than last term , win and we are already 4 points up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

We were regarded to have had a nightmare start last season and by the standard of games we had faced our return was deemed good. We have sloppily dropped points against bucket sides this year. Points that a liable to cost you dearly in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just catching up wondering were the extra £5m for Ox is coming from in posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This kinda **** drives me loopy,this isn't last year it's this year,the teams we play against might have the same name as last year but are more often then not completely different ,some even have different managers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

More worrying for me is we are supposed to be one of the best attacking sides in football.

In the last three games the team have had 80 chances at goal and scored three.

Between Mane, Salah, Firmino, Coutinho, DS15, Solanke, Ox, Woodburn & Ings all playing a part that is terrible and in all three games we should have scored close to double figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We lack a cutting edge without Mane still, Salah has been an excellent signing but he isn't the devastating finisher that Mane is.

Let's be honest Firmino is a lovely player, runs all day, lovely touches but he isn't a prolific scorer. He'll need a few chances before he scores, we lack a predator in the box.

Coutinho is wasted out wide, he needs to be in the middle which he drifts into anyway the whole game.

Great to see Ings last night, still got high hopes for him.

Robertson has to be first choice LB, there is no sense to Moreno 1st choice, none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Dunno where Klopp is going with the line about "not pushing up together" in relation to the first goal last night. Not in the fact that they didnt push up together, because they didint (gomez)....but rather why push up in that situatiuon at all!!!!?? Its only half cleared, gone straight to a leicester player and they're emptying the box with space in behind. Clear your lines, then f*ckin push out, dont do it straight after the corner. Cant believe they're being taught that on the training ground, this is schoolboy stuff like. Emptying the box like that is always a recipe for disaster.

And the ox last night...jesus...dont get me started. Abysmal. 100,000 a week professional fotabller and cant take a f*ckin corner.

Disgusted with Klopp for taking Coutinho off as well, he gave up on the game at half time with sh*t like that. And then comes out afterwards and says he was ever only going to get 45 mins anyway. Total disrespect to the opponent, the competition , the shirt. He just used it as a training game for Coutinho. We're in a competition here, do we want to try and win the thing or are we not bothered?? Judging by his substitution at half time Klopp wasnt too bothered.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Dunno where Klopp is going with the line about "not pushing up together" in relation to the first goal last night. Not in the fact that they didnt push up together, because they didint (gomez)....but rather why push up in that situatiuon at all!!!!?? Its only half cleared, gone straight to a leicester player and they're emptying the box with space in behind. Clear your lines, then f*ckin push out, dont do it straight after the corner. Cant believe they're being taught that on the training ground, this is schoolboy stuff like. Emptying the box like that is always a recipe for disaster.

And the ox last night...jesus...dont get me started. Abysmal. 100,000 a week professional fotabller and cant take a f*ckin corner.

Disgusted with Klopp for taking Coutinho off as well, he gave up on the game at half time with sh*t like that. And then comes out afterwards and says he was ever only going to get 45 mins anyway. Total disrespect to the opponent, the competition , the shirt. He just used it as a training game for Coutinho. We're in a competition here, do we want to try and win the thing or are we not bothered?? Judging by his substitution at half time Klopp wasnt too bothered.
    Its only the Carling cup going far it will only kill us later in the season , Even spurs have said there not interested, it should be used for our second string if they win great if they don't they won't play much football and its there own fault,
    United only made a big deal about it cause Jose knew he had to win something to clutch at straws that they had a good season,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

United only made a big deal about it cause Jose knew he had to win something to clutch at straws that they had a good season,

I'm not sure we should care about what Jose thinks of a trophy...

'I don't want to win the Europa League. It would be a big disappointment for me. I don't want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition'

- Jose Mourinho in 2013

'It's the only competition that Manchester United have never won and it would be great to close that circle and say we are a club that won every single competition in the football world.'

- Jose Mourinho in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Its only the Carling cup going far it will only kill us later in the season , Even spurs have said there not interested, it should be used for our second string if they win great if they don't they won't play much football and its there own fault,

Its still a competition though. At least give the illusion you'd like to go far in it than subbing your best player off at half time. He did the same at city subbing our best player Salah off at half time. I know we were down to ten men and 2 down but he gave up on the game with that substitution. And i feel he did the same last night. Even Shakespeare said last night they were delighted to see coutinho sitting on the bench at the start of the second half, that sub changed the complete outlook of the game in their favour. If he game him 60 mins as is usually the case coming back to fitness then i wouldnt have an issue with it...but half time is a joke imo.

Liverpool need a trophy.

If the club are unable to complete for trophies and do well everywhere else then something is very wrong.

The way some of our fans talk you'd swear Liverpool are winning trophies every year. "It's only the league cup".

The league cup is better than nothing. What other clubs do is of no concern, Liverpool haven't won a thing in 5 years, the league cup is pretty important to us in our current situation. We are nowhere near the level where we can start treating it as something that's beneath us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Henderson should only be played as an "8 and half" as he was in the nearly season. But even then I don't think he has the physical strength to make more than the occasional darting run. He sure isn't getting back with the kind of speed/effort required this season. Obviously the alternatives to him are such that he has scant chance of starting a game in the "Lallana" position even with Adam out. Maybe it would be worth trying it at some point instead of Wiji with Coutinho to his left.

As a pure CM with DM responsibility he is a clear bust at this stage.

He shouldnt have to get back.....for me he shouldnt be going forward.....with the exception of corners and around the box free kicks, he shouldnt be any more than 10 yards away from the centre backs

We aren't being clinical at the moment no doubt but the sheer volume of chances we create as a stat isn't overly indicative of the likelihood of scoring.

Loads of our chances last night had practically no possibility of going in..the inverse is true of our opposition, they generally don't get many chances but many if the ones they do get are likely to test our keeper.

We will still score bucket loads you'd imagine... 9 so far in the pl is down a tad on what's our expected par to be fair.

Lallana & coutinho (one PL game played I think) and Mane (v burnley & after sending off) have been hugely missed.

It's actually a tad worrying how mane seems to be so crucial to us... although we struggled v sevila too over the course of the game, more so due to our current finishing probably though

Early days though so no doubt it'll click shortly.

He shouldnt have to get back.....for me he shouldnt be going forward.....with the exception of corners and around the box free kicks, he shouldnt be any more than 10 yards away from the centre backs

Sure the CBs get forward unusually frequently too.

Honestly i strongly believe our main goal has to be top 4 again,  We have to become a regular in the champions league again its a must to becoming a club taking seriously again, Id rather scrap 4th and win nothing than win 2 domestic cups and come 5th,
    Its the only way to attract top players from abroad, people don't like it to hear it but our squad isn't strong enough to compete in everything, so we need to make priorities i think the change at half time showed that,
    We have to make our self's top four regulars , like Arsenal but then kick on, We need to build this club up again ,I agree a cup win is fantastic but u can't put the cart before the horse , its way more important to become a regular in the champions league it give you such a better base to build on, then you can kick on and win things,

Our midfield 3 that worked best since Klopp arrived was Can, Wijnaldum & Coutinho that is the 3 that needs to be starting week in week out.

Once Lallana is fit he can fit in there if needed but Henderson should be nowhere the starting 3 in midfield unless we have an injury crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If getting knocked out in the first round of the league cup to Leicester ever becomes acceptable at this club, then we'll truly be fecked.

Klopp needs to get this team back on track now. We need a proper response from everyone this Saturday. I can't say that I'm confident at the moment though, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Our midfield 3 that worked best since Klopp arrived was Can, Wijnaldum & Coutinho that is the 3 that needs to be starting week in week out.

Once Lallana is fit he can fit in there if needed but Henderson should be nowhere the starting 3 in midfield unless we have an injury crisis.

Henderson wij and lallana has worked best imo. It is a mute point though because as bad henderson has been Can had been worse and wij not much better. To be honest I think All 3 should Be dropped but A midfield 3 Of Milner Ox And Coutinho scares me a bit

• Advertisement

So long as Henderson remains club captain he will be starting every game he's fit.

The squad is not exactly brimming with candidates for the captaincy with a glaring lack of leadership on display, so if you take it from Henderson who do you give it to?

And even if there were someone, the time to do this was pre-sesaon, not now.

More worrying for me is we are supposed to be one of the best attacking sides in football.

In the last three games the team have had 80 chances at goal and scored three.

Between Mane, Salah, Firmino, Coutinho, DS15, Solanke, Ox, Woodburn & Ings all playing a part that is terrible and in all three games we should have scored close to double figures.

Mané and Sturridge are the closest thing we have to a clinical striker. But Mané us a wide forward, and Sturridge is a sick note who can't run and press to the standard Klopp needs.

Firmino may be our number 9, but he's not a striker.

Earlier I posted that no top team in the League, never mind Europe, doesn't have a defensively minded midfielder.

No top team can go without a clinical striker. Take a look at the top teams in England and Europe.

We all know the CB and GK issues.

It's not rocket science. It's simple neglect over a number of years.

There's a reason Mourinho wants the spine of his team sorted as soon as he can when he joins a club.
    There's a reason Pep looked at his team after last season, saw weaknesses, and acted quickly and decisively, not giving a shif they overpaid for fullbacks.
    There's a reason Arsenal fans often go nuts at Wenger - he hasn't addressed the obvious weaknesses properly for the best part of the decade.
    There's a reason Chelsea won the League last year - GK, CB, DM, AM and striker were all top class.

Either the club wants to win or they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Henderson wij and lallana has worked best imo. It is a mute point though because as bad henderson has been Can had been worse and wij not much better. To be honest I think All 3 should Be dropped but A midfield 3 Of Milner Ox And Coutinho scares me a bit

MOOT Its MOOT! :pac:

Milner, Can, Coutinho is what I'd go for in the next few games. Milner is able to use the ball more intelligently than Henderson, this would set Can free to be the "runner" of the mid three taking the ball into the opposition third linking up with the front Coutinho and the front three. Lallana cannot get back soon enough though.

Also very nice to have a commanding keeper playing last night.

P170920-017-Leicester_Liverpool-e1505848322515-600x401.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

MOOT Its MOOT! :pac:

because-if-he-doesnt-like-you-this-is-ara-moo-10702867.png

Henderson is an attacking midfielder.

This nonsense of continuing play him as our defensive midfielder is madness. I honestly don't know what managers are seeing in him that makes them think he can play that role.

His best season by far for us was when he played further up the pitch while Gerrard played the deep lying role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Said it last ngt but Jesus,we are brutal at corners, offensively and defensively,worst in the league I'd say

SlickRic wrote: »
    Manr Sturridge are the closest thing we have to a clinical striker. But Mans a wide forward, and Sturridge is a sick note who can't run and press to the standard Klopp needs.

Apparently v burnley Sturridge ran the 2nd most miles... 2nd to milner.

When we have the ball so much the need to press decreases of course.

If klopp struggles to find CBs to suit him I doubt he'll find a striker to be honest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Henderson is too slow in decision making, whether it's on the ball, or moving towards the ball.
    He's now doing hit n' hopes to space on the pitch.

Whether that's down to his positioning on the pitch now, I'm not sure.

He's certainly not a DM.

We need more no nonsense players, Klavan and Gomez are too soft in defending. In our central midfield positions, we only have Can.
    Grujic to a point, but he's not a started and is clumsy in tackling.

Other teams are exploiting our weakness, and our main weakness is our weakness. Those goals we've shipped from throw-ins are all down to someone not putting in a physical challenge.

• Advertisement

How much did that backline from last night cost? £16M or so? Sometimes you get what you pay for. They are all backup players sure, and players like Ward/Gomez@CB/Robertson need games but I dont know why they all have to play together, what chance do they have if Klavan is meant to be the leader in that defence? Why a better player was not brought in still annoys me, also Flanagan, sentimentality aside, he has no business being in an LFC squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement