Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mosstin wrote: »
    One bit of bad news then - Matip missing out again - and two bits of good news - Can fit and Lovren likely to miss out.

I could see Klavan getting targeted and taken to pieces by Vardy and Mahrez on the break. Run at him at pace with the ball at your feet, and he falls apart. Play a quick ball beyond him for someone fast to sprint onto, and he falls apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

corwill wrote: »
    Wasn't LvG's stance that he wanted to be manager, not DoF?
    He said that after he became manager at Man Utd, De Boer confirmed the story that LVG had agreed to be DoF if De Boer accepted the manager job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Lucky escape there then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Talisman wrote: »
    He said that after he became manager at Man Utd, De Boer confirmed the story that LVG had agreed to be DoF if De Boer accepted the manager job.

He didn't want to be DoF anyway? Appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd be guess right now De Boer regrets not taking the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

brevity wrote: »

Next year lads

303827_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I could see Klavan getting targeted and taken to pieces by Vardy and Mahrez on the break. Run at him at pace with the ball at your feet, and he falls apart. Play a quick ball beyond him for someone fast to sprint onto, and he falls apart.

No doubt but apparently Vardy is carrying a groin injury. Makes it likely we'll face Iheanacho then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If this is game is on Saturday 3pm I might just call in dead and do some gardening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If this is game is on Saturday 3pm I might just call in dead and do some gardening

5:30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Damn, it'll be wet by then plus I'll be hungry and so indoors and so compelled to watch (insert player name here) do something headbangingly infuriating.

It's funny and alarming how quickly the gloss has gone off this season, I have no expectation of anything other than a comedy of errors in defence.

You would think were in Palace's place the way people are going on over the last few days.

Indeed.
    Take away the hendo criticism and it's not too bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

So klopps gonna transform us next year is he,god help us,just going back to Rodgers debate,I'd rather Brendan's 2nd year to the crap klopps dishing out in his 2nd year by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Suppose the hurling is finished

Not such a bad thing having matip and lovren out for sat,both have been utter garbage so far this season and should be dropped anyway,Gomez and klavan won't do any worse

shamrock55 wrote: »
    So klopps gonna transform us next year is he,god help us,just going back to Rodgers debate,I'd rather Brendan's 2nd year to the crap klopps dishing out in his 2nd year by far

You'd rather a title challenging season with Suarez on fire than current form?

You're really stretching yourself there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Worlds most bipolar thread:pac:.

A 5 game league stretch these days probably gets the media attention of half a season from fifteen years ago, it's ****ing insanity. Managers can be condemned, lauded and condemned all over again within this short spell. Damning predictions and definitive conclusions are abundant on a weekly basis. It seems managers are genuinely only as good as their past 5 games these days, whatever progress you made in previous season or how good your cv is is dismissed and those 5 games hold all the answers to your sides future prospects and mangers credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Rekop dog wrote: »

A 5 game league stretch these days probably gets the media attention of half a season from fifteen years ago, it's ****ing insanity. Managers can be condemned, lauded and condemned all over again within this short spell. Damning predictions and definitive conclusions are abundant on a weekly basis. It seems managers are genuinely only as good as their past 5 games these days, whatever progress you made in previous season or how good your cv is is dismissed and those 5 games hold all the answers to your sides future prospects and mangers credentials.

It's all about the clicks these days. If there isn't a crisis a crisis will be invented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Damn, it'll be wet by then plus I'll be hungry and so indoors and so compelled to watch (insert player name here) do something headbangingly infuriating.

It's funny and alarming how quickly the gloss has gone off this season, I have no expectation of anything other than a comedy of errors in defence.

We didn't buy gloss for the defence, we bought polyfilla and matt emulsion instead. Worryingly I fear the gloss would have been applied with a roller anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Chin up man! Early days.
    Let's change the rhetoric and root for our wasteful attack. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Mr.H wrote: »
    Suppose the hurling is finished

The hurling was finished when Tipp got knocked out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have a feeling we're gonna be furious again tomorrow.

I like how Klopp is now pissed off at defence, maybe now it'll get more attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Not such a bad thing having matip and lovren out for sat,both have been utter garbage so far this season and should be dropped anyway,Gomez and klavan won't do any worse

You keep trying to push the notion that Matip and Lovren are equally bad but you are miles off the mark. Matip has been far from perfect but is infinitely better than Lovren and has the makings of a very good CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Milkers wrote: »
    You keep trying to push the notion that Matip and Lovren are equally bad but you are miles off the mark. Matip has been far from perfect but is infinitely better than Lovren and has the makings of a very good CB.

Agreed.

Also a bit peeved at the narrative that because Sakho made the odd mistake he is somehow as bad as Lovren.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lovren is the modern version of Torben Piechnik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Rekop dog wrote: »

You referring to Hodgson, I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

What's the craic with Can and his injury?

Any chance of him playing Saturday?

I think we could really do with him in central midfield alongside Gini and Coutinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

JonnyM wrote: »
    What's the craic with Can and his injury?

Any chance of him playing Saturday?

I think we could really do with him in central midfield alongside Gini and Coutinho.

Can trained yesterday so should be alright for the weekend

Nervol and Matip didn't so will have to see how today goes

Milkers wrote: »

Yup, but he hasn't quite been as good as he's made out to be.
    The fact he cost nothing seems to sway folk to talking him up as a wonder signing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Blondie919 wrote: »
    The hurling was finished when Tipp got knocked out!
    Dammit, OwaynOTT, you're only allowed one account!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

brevity wrote: »

Surely then, he should know how to fix the defence quicker, rather than needing 2 years agin

Against Leicester, the game plan should be simple:

Ming

TAA Gomez Klavan Robertson
    Henderson Can
    Salah Coutinho Firmino
    Sturridge

Sit back, and force them on to us......Henderson and Can play as 2 orthodox DMs, when we break, the full backs can get forward but Can and Henderson sit, with one covering the middle and the other covering whichever full back goes forward.

Leicester want us to attack, and hit us with Vardy and Mahrez on the break.....dont give them that option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Apparently Klopp gave inadvertently gave away some of the starters in the presser. Anyone see it?

I only came across a clip on fb that suggests Grujic & Ox are in line to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

x43r0 wrote: »
    Apparently Klopp gave inadvertently gave away some of the starters in the presser. Anyone see it?

I only came across a clip on fb that suggests Grujic & Ox are in line to start

Was that not for the cup match?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That was the cup match during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Yes that makes way more sense, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Surely then, he should know how to fix the defence quicker, rather than needing 2 years agin

Against Leicester, the game plan should be simple:

Ming

TAA Gomez Klavan Robertson
    Henderson Can
    Salah Coutinho Firmino
    Sturridge

Sit back, and force them on to us......Henderson and Can play as 2 orthodox DMs, when we break, the full backs can get forward but Can and Henderson sit, with one covering the middle and the other covering whichever full back goes forward.

Leicester want us to attack, and hit us with Vardy and Mahrez on the break.....dont give them that option

But you do know what's gonna happen , we are gonna come out all guns blazing 75% possession, countless good positions wasted.
    A mistake in defence just before half time and they go 1 up , same for the second half and they seal it about the 80 minute mark

ElTel wrote: »
    I think the poster's general point about toughness/mentality and playing for your teammates should not be dismissed.
    A different issue - I was responding to the BS suggestion that Klopp inherited a strong team at Dortmund just as Wenger had at Arsenal. Wenger inherited the core of the George Graham and England international backline (Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Bould, Keown, Winterburn). His early success was based upon the foundation of that well drilled defence and he has been unable to replicate it for over 12 years. Klopp built the Dortmund defence - Bender, Hummels, Subotic, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

A different issue - I was responding to the BS suggestion that Klopp inherited a strong team at Dortmund just as Wenger had at Arsenal. Wenger inherited the core of the George Graham and England international backline (Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Bould, Keown, Winterburn). His early success was based upon the foundation of that well drilled defence and he has been unable to replicate it for over 12 years. Klopp built the Dortmund defence - Bender, Hummels, Subotic, etc.

Not entirely fair on Wenger there either. He didn't inherit the defence that went the season unbeaten in 2004.

5starpool wrote: »
    Lovren is the modern version of Torben Piechnik.

And matip is Nicky tanner

And matip is Nicky tanner

Harsh.

• Advertisement

Not entirely fair on Wenger there either. He didn't inherit the defence that went the season unbeaten in 2004.
    2004 was over 12 years ago.

Not looking forward to games now, can't even see point in watching when I know what the outcome will be. Last time I felt like was under Rodgers in his last 5 months in charge. There was such high hope for this season, but none of our problems have been address either through new players or an altered approach.
    Nothing wrong with controlling game tomorrow, and having back 4 in a line, feel way into game, hit them on break or through controlled play. What will happen is Moreno will be in oppositions box within 1 minute of kickoff.

Not looking forward to games now, can't even see point in watching when I know what the outcome will be. Last time I felt like was under Rodgers in his last 5 months in charge. There was such high hope for this season, but none of our problems have been address either through new players or an altered approach.
    Nothing wrong with controlling game tomorrow, and having back 4 in a line, feel way into game, hit them on break or through controlled play. What will happen is Moreno will be in oppositions box within 1 minute of kickoff.

We are playing much better overall than the last 12 months of Rodgers reign. We are defending like numpties, no doubt, but the last 4 game in no way matches a year of mostly turgid results.

I wish people would cop on and get some fecking perspective.

That's the only sing when you're winning mentality. Would you say the same thing if Liverpool were steam rolling every team they faced?

That's the only sing when you're winning mentality. Would you say the same thing if Liverpool were steam rolling every team they faced?

That made me smile, remembering those games on the run in when we almost won the league. I couldn't wait for next game, the fans played a huge role that season in us almost winning the league. The sense of pride and passion from the fans was incredible and it seeped into the players and into the play.
    I think the same is happening now, the fear of the next mistake is evident in the crowd and that fear is seen when a player does something so stupid it's beyond belief.
    No calmness of arrogance in our play. Winners have a swag an arrogance about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

That made me smile, remembering those games on the run in when we almost won the league. I couldn't wait for next game, the fans played a huge role that season in us almost winning the league. The sense of pride and passion from the fans was incredible and it seeped into the players and into the play.
    I think the same is happening now, the fear of the next mistake is evident in the crowd and that fear is seen when a player does something so stupid it's beyond belief.
    No calmness of arrogance in our play. Winners have a swag an arrogance about them.
    Thought we'd won it when Coutinho (IIRC) got the winner against the City. Was a great ride that year.

We needed two CBs in the Summer window and we got none, so it's to be expected that we're struggling. I just hoped we'd be blowing teams away early on in the season. We've gotten a bit stuck very quickly. Still though we have CL football to enjoy, I was worried about The Hoff-enheim before we played them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

eyerer wrote: »
    Thought we'd won it when Coutinho (IIRC) got the winner against the City. Was a great ride that year.

We needed two CBs in the Summer window and we got none, so it's to be expected that we're struggling. I just hoped we'd be blowing teams away early on in the season. We've gotten a bit stuck very quickly. Still though we have CL football to enjoy, I was worried about The Hoff-enheim before we played them.

Oh it surely was Coutinho who scored the winner in that game. However it was when we beat Norwich around Easter that was the first time I let myself believe we might actually win it. I wish now I had held out a bit longer with that belief. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wanna play frisbee?

Nalz wrote: »
    Wanna play frisbee?

Are you posting as your avatar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Yeah that sort of crest of a wave stuff can turn pretty quickly in a good way too though.
    That's why Klopp won't be panicking. A win tomorrow and a draw/win in Moscow and things can turn favourably again.
    I think, massively generalising here, us Liverpool fans tend to get a bit all sunshine or all pissing rain about things. I do anyway.

Drawing at home to Sevilla isn't so bad and the league cup exit didn't actually bother me so much, it's the Burnley game in between that stung the most, for me anyway.

Four key issues that have hindered us/ will hinder us, for me have been not getting Van Dijk, the re-emergence of Moreno, the bizarre keeper rotation policy and the unfortunate ban Mane picked up.

But we are where we are so not a lot we can do about personnel til Jan so hopefully nab a win tomorrow and avoid defeat in Moscow and go from there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement